• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Yoshi not being in the demo is meaningless. I think the pre-release demos for every Smash game have always excluded at least one of the original 8. In fact, I think Ultimate is the first to include Kirby, but then again, the reason for that is probably not subtle (Kirby hats are probably always one of the last things finished). I remember the Brawl demos even varied by region with DK being a "rare" character only available in a few places! I also remember the store kiosks in Japan for the Brawl demos that were the first time anyone played King Dedede and how Japanese competitive players in under an hour of trying that kiosk already found his chaingrab. Good times...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm still impressed to this day how well they made him work. If it weren't for MvC, I probably wouldn't be able to imagine him in Smash either, lol.
Yeah, and they were hesitant about putting him in Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, since his speech bubbles would be too big in the Western release. It's a miracle that they got him in at all.

Question; Have we seen Roy's Final Smash yet? It'd be super-disappointing if it's just copy-paste Marth's again. It sucked like hell that his Final Smash in four didn't bother to take advantage of the fact that he, y'know, can turn into a dragon
>Luigi and Ganondorf get their own FS attacks since Brawl
>Roy still has to practically share everything with Marth
Roy can't remotely catch a break at all.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Full disclosure I admit I know nothing about Roy's games and I was just assuming he could turn into a dragon because my friend told me that Ninian was his canon mom. Sorry 'bout that.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Full disclosure I admit I know nothing about Roy's games and I was just assuming he could turn into a dragon because my friend told me that Ninian was his canon mom. Sorry 'bout that.
It's actually a fairly common misconception, from my experience. A lot of a Ninian/Eliwood shippers like to leave out that Roy's mother is left ambiguous in FE6 and that they're only the "implied" canon. I remember a lot of people were speculating that CYL Roy was going to be a manakete in Heroes as well.

On the other hand, his Final Smash is an actual canonical ability of his.
Your friend must have trolled you, no offense.
Nah, I doubt it was an intentional troll. As I said, a lot of Eliwood/Ninian shippers treat it like it's 100% canon. It drives Lyn/Eliwood shippers insane.

D

Deleted member

In regards to Manakete Roy, it was never an official thing, only theoretically possible (Kana and Morgan being able to transform despite being half-dragon (Kana) or potentially half-dragon (Morgan), while I don't think someone like Sophia has been confirmed or denied).

I doubt Sakurai would canonize Roy's mom either. I mean, Eliwood/Ninian is right there with Chrom/Sumia in the "this is absolutely canon but we'll be coy about it anyway to not anger the shippers" section, but still.
Kana is only 1/4 of a Dragon as Corrin is already 1/2 and there are no other Manaketes as potential parents.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
This was already posted a while ago. By me.

But you're right. Direct announcement is imminent.
OOF my apologies. But uh yeah, it has either on weekend or before Wednesday, before all the companies reveal what was supposed to be announced at the Direct.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean Ninian basically is Roy's canon mom. It's just not confirmed by The Binding Blade itself, so Roy doesn't transform there (especially since Blazing Blade, its prequel, came out after it).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If it's any consolation, the Ninian ending is apparently used for the light novel version of Blazing Blade.

Did I miss anything, why did the title change?
New games are constantly being announced, leading people to assume some of the Direct's contents got leaked.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
If it's any consolation, the Ninian ending is apparently used for the light novel version of Blazing Blade.

New games are constantly being announced, leading people to assume some of the Direct's contents got leaked.
Wait a minute! First, FE had an anime, then a manga/4-koma manga, and now a Light Novel? I keep discovering new things each day.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Though on the subject of Final Smashes, specifically FE characters...

How many of y'all wanna bet Robin's has got something to do with Grima?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

Like 90% sure this is what'll happen.

Basically make it ZSS' but it's a dragon instead of a spaceship.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I mean Ninian basically is Roy's canon mom. It's just not confirmed by The Binding Blade itself, so Roy doesn't transform there (especially since Blazing Blade, its prequel, came out after it).
>basically Roy's Canon mom
>not confirmed by the Binding Blade itself
This is inherently contradictory.

D

Deleted member

If they ever remake it, I'm 100% sure they'll acknowledge it.
The themes of FE6 just fit much more with the fact and FE7 having an unique ending if Ninian has an S-Support with Eliwood should have sealed the deal(heh, get it?).

Ninian just didn't exist when FE6 was conceived, in fact, the only FE7 characters that do appear in it are Eliwood, Hector, Zephiel, Marcus and Bartre. Everyone else in FE7 was written as a way to fill world-building holes that 6 left open. Except Lyn. She's a walking retcon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
>basically Roy's Canon mom
>not confirmed by the Binding Blade itself
This is inherently contradictory.
Not really. Where it's pseudo-confirmed is The Blazing Blade, not The Binding Blade, making it a retroactive canonization.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Robin using Grima for his Final Smash completely flies in the face of Robin's character. I doubt Sakurai would be that careless with character interpretation.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
So it seems like this issue (9/20) might not have Smash info, but the next one (9/27) will, considering that it's two weeks from now. Kind of weird logic, but it gives Nintendo another week assuming that nothing gets out really early.

Still keep an eye out this weekend.
so the cover wasn't from the next week's issue? buuu

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

I think it's very unlikely. The Robin we have in Smash is not possessed, so it wouldn't make much sense for him to call upon his arch nemesis to help him attack.

I guess they could use Grima's Truth as his Final Smash, but if they're going to go down the dark magic route with that Goetia seems more likely to me.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Yoshi not being in the demo is meaningless. I think the pre-release demos for every Smash game have always excluded at least one of the original 8. In fact, I think Ultimate is the first to include Kirby, but then again, the reason for that is probably not subtle (Kirby hats are probably always one of the last things finished). I remember the Brawl demos even varied by region with DK being a "rare" character only available in a few places! I also remember the store kiosks in Japan for the Brawl demos that were the first time anyone played King Dedede and how Japanese competitive players in under an hour of trying that kiosk already found his chaingrab. Good times...
Kirby was available in the Smash 4 E3/Best Buy demos, but interestingly Link wasn't in the 3DS demo, despite being a more basic character and being Nintendo's #2 or #3 character (instead having Toon Link). Your point still stands though.

D

Deleted member

The "Ninian is not Roy's canonical mother because FE6 doesn't confirm it" thing is the biggest denial from shippers I've ever seen. If FE6 came out after FE7? Yeah, then it would be a good point but I don't think you guys know how prequels work.
It's like saying Padme isn't Luke's mother just because she isn't acknowledged in the original trilogy.

kylexv

Smash Master
"
(warning: possible spoilers; possible wah)
" what'd I miss...
Nothing. Although there are a few non-Smash related things:

• Civ VI is on Switch, coming in November
  • Various Switch games will not support Cloud Saves, such as Splatoon 2, Pokemon Let's Go!, and Dark Souls
  • I think that's it

Iridium

Smash Hero
Robin using Grima for his Final Smash completely flies in the face of Robin's character. I doubt Sakurai would be that careless with character interpretation.
Imagine if one of the Links had a FS where every Link from all of the TLOZ games appear and just beat you up, and it happens to be the longest lasting FS too. I would like that.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I made a very optimistic roster I'd be glad with:

Unique Fighters (10):
Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool:
Confirmed
Dillon: Among the other assist trophy absence he seems to be the most likely.
Isaac: Smash Ballot.
Incineroar: Seems like he is the one who gonna be heavily featured in the anime, just like Greninja, Lucario and Mewtwo were last time.
Lloyd: DLC pack 3 mii costume along with Chrom and K. Rool (and flying man but they had an unused 3d model of him so nevermind).
Geno: Smash Ballot.
Jumpman: The surprise character and a retro pick. Every smash has one and I don't think this one will be exeption. And since Takamaru and Sheriff are deconfirmed, Prince Sable is Japan exclusive, Jumpman is one of the last noticiable retro reps.

Echo Fighters (13):
Dark Samus, Daisy, Chrom, Richter:
Confirmed
Ninten: Seems really easy to implement and makes a lot of sense. He is Lucas's echo since he does not have a yo-yo.
Isabelle: New face of animal crossing.
Black Knight and Shadow, and Black Shadow: Castle seige absence and assist trophy likely gone. Black Knight was a DLC pack 3 mii costume along with Chrom and K. Rool. And with Dark Samus and Dark Pit it seems we are getting some dark themed echo fighters.
Dixie Kong: Change Diddy's Up-B, give him Tiny Kong's Feather Bow, and ta-da, Dixie.
Ken: Original Echo Fighter.
Celica: Robin without limited magic, just like Lucina is Marth without tipper and Chrom is Roy without the hilt.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Imagine if one of the Links had a FS where every Link from all of the TLOZ games appear and just beat you up, and it happens to be the longest lasting FS too. I would like that.
Would OoT Link appear as the Hero's Shade? :p

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
...Why? How does that make any sense?
Skull Kids hype entirely is dictated by the next reveal. If he’s not then he loses all the momentum all the fake leaks and hype that have been built up.

Gen 7 mon is more a personal feeling. I just think they’d have shown them by now. As I said I’m possibly wrong.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I made a very optimistic roster I'd be glad with:

Unique Fighters (10):
Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool:
Confirmed
Dillon: Among the other assist trophy absence he seems to be the most likely.
Isaac: Smash Ballot.
Incineroar: Seems like he is the one who gonna be heavily featured in the anime, just like Greninja, Lucario and Mewtwo were last time.
Lloyd: DLC pack 3 mii costume along with Chrom and K. Rool (and flying man but they had an unused 3d model of him so nevermind).
Geno: Smash Ballot.
Jumpman: The surprise character and a retro pick. Every smash has one and I don't think this one will be exeption. And since Takamaru and Sheriff are deconfirmed, Prince Sable is Japan exclusive, Jumpman is one of the last noticiable retro reps.

Echo Fighters (13):
Dark Samus, Daisy, Chrom, Richter:
Confirmed
Ninten: Seems really easy to implement and makes a lot of sense. He is Lucas's echo since he does not have a yo-yo.
Isabelle: New face of animal crossing.
Black Knight and Shadow, and Black Shadow: Castle seige absence and assist trophy likely gone. Black Knight was a DLC pack 3 mii costume along with Chrom and K. Rool. And with Dark Samus and Dark Pit it seems we are getting some dark themed echo fighters.
Dixie Kong: Change Diddy's Up-B, give him Tiny Kong's Feather Bow, and ta-da, Dixie.
Ken: Original Echo Fighter.
Celica: Robin without limited magic, just like Lucina is Marth without tipper and Chrom is Roy without the hilt.
Castle Siege never had Black Knight. It was always a generic general.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The game PERMANENTLY taints your save file locking you away from the true golden ending if you do the Genocide run.
The game punishes you for playing the game. If they didn't want people to play Genocide, it shouldn't even be a thing.
I have to agree with this.

Undertale's... trappings make for an interesting metagame (in the sense that it's an external factor that influences the game), but it doesn't necessarily make for a good game.

Granted, the game is good, but the Genocide/Pacifist dichotomy it has dominates it.

You shouldn't lock the player out from parts of the game because they want to play the game a different way first. Especially since they're paying money for the product.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Agreed, though it is weird that it's not in his character trailer and we haven't seen it so far. It could always be the one he had in Smash 4 again (Though if it is, hopefully it's with Morgan instead of Chrom) But it feels like they're hiding it.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Either Tharja or maybe Morgan will replace Chrom but I imagine it’ll be basically the same as his 4 final smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom