• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The process of restoring power is already underway, so it wouldn't suprise me if Nintendo releases the Direct before next Thursday.

Early Monday would be ideal (for the purpose of avoiding leaks), but I think Tuesday or Wednesday would be the most likely days. Directs are almost never on Monday.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if Civ VI's announcement was gonna be in the Direct. Regardless, I'm stoked for it; Civ is awesome and I will totally pick it up at some point.

I don't think we have to worry about Famitsu leaks. I'm sure Nintendo will figure something out. :)

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think you're overstating when you say locked out. Doing genocide first changes very little about pacifist run, it's still available to you. It just reminds you that you did genocide first because as I said earlier, a theme of the game is that actions have consequences.
You say that, but the True Pacifist Run exists, which is altered if you do a Genocide Run before it.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm surprised by how many people actually expect Tharja to be in Robin's Final Smash. If she somehow does end up playing that roll then you can bet she's going to be censored and a lot of her fans are going to be cranky about it. Don't forget how her 3DS trophy didn't make the cut.

Actually, what if they make Ignis Robin's Final Smash? It'd make sense with Great Aether variants being Ike's/Chrom's.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I wonder if Civ VI's announcement was gonna be in the Direct. Regardless, I'm stoked for it; Civ is awesome and I will totally pick it up at some point.

I don't think we have to worry about Famitsu leaks. I'm sure Nintendo will figure something out. :)
I mean...If there's Smash info in there and they're already being printed they are at risk of spoiling content if the direct isn't rescheduled soon, like few days soon. Granted I think Japan recovering is the more important thing but Nintendo is still a business and would prefer if something as big as Smash didn't get leaked due to unfortunate timing errors.

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
You say that, but the True Pacifist Run exists. Which is altered if you do a Genocide Run before it.
It changes the very end and nothing else, would hardly call that locked out.
Source: I played Genocide then True Pacifist

Shroob

Sup?
You say that, but the True Pacifist Run exists. Which is altered if you do a Genocide Run before it.
I mean, that's kinda the point, right?

Undertale's whole purpose is to punish you for doing bad things, so if you do some bad **** and try to make up for it, that doesn't excuse what you did in the past.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For consistency's sake I hope the people clamoring for Jumpman as a separate character weren't also the ones scoffing at the idea of that one "leak"'s New Leaf Villager...

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
IMO Jumpman would be redundant.
Modern Mario and Jumpman are similar enough to the point where I feel like there are a zillion other retro reps who would be much more interesting.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
It alter one moment in the ending, one moment that is just here to tell you "hey, we haven't forget that you killed everyone, we will make sure you don't forget it you dirty killer".

The rest of the game is perfectly playable without problems, if you can't assume the consequence of your choices, then it ain't the game fault imo. Especially when the "punishement" for it isn't that bad all things considered. (it's not like say, hacking Earthbound, playing the whole game with harder difficulty, then facing Gigyas only for the game to crash at the very end and delete your save file in the process. That's actual punishement right there)

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Personally, I'm sincerely hoping for leaks. I would prefer to learn as soon as possible the information I was looking forward to. I don't care much for "hype" reveals.

Iridium

Smash Hero
For consistency's sake I hope the people clamoring for Jumpman as a separate character weren't also the ones scoffing at the idea of that one "leak"'s New Leaf Villager...
Imagine people urging for Cranky Kong as a DK echo, with all of the same animations, but with his natural voice.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Not a leak, but a very minor detail I've noticed about the victory screen/animation...

If you win in team in Ultimate, then both characters (depends on how many players in your team) now do the victory animation. While in Smash 4, only the best character did the victory animation, and others stared blankly.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Not a leak, but a very minor detail I've noticed about the victory screen/animation...

If you win in team in Ultimate, then both characters (depends on how many players in your team) now do the victory animation. While in Smash 4, only the best character did the victory animation, and others stared blankly.
Not only that, but they also made sure the victory animations synced up. It's a really nice touch that helps team matches feel like they're actually won by teams, not just the player who got the most kills. It'll be fun to see the new victory screens in doubles tournaments.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Modern Mario and Jumpman are similar enough to the point where I feel like there are a zillion other retro reps who would be much more interesting.
Much agreed, I'm not that interested in Jumpman. I'd be all for Stanley, Foreman Spike and/or even Plum, depending on how you're willing to stretch the definition of retro for Mario-related characters.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Not only that, but they also made sure the victory animations synced up. It's a really nice touch that helps team matches feel like they're actually won by teams, not just the player who got the most kills. It'll be fun to see the new victory screens in doubles tournaments.
The victory screen in general looks a lot nicer this time around.
The only thing I'm not a fan of is the announcer saying "____ WINS!" instead of "THE WINNER IS: _____"

It sounds a lot less natural.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I don't think so. Jumpman can't use fire, doen't collect coins, does not have power ups or a FLUUD. That alone get's rid of all Mario specials. Jumpman would probable be a hammer based character, that would use young Cranky kong and Dokey Kong Jr in his specials.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I don't think so. Jumpman can't use fire, doen't collect coins, does not have power ups or a FLUUD. That alone get's rid of all Mario specials. Jumpman would probable be a hammer based character, that would use young Cranky kong and Dokey Kong Jr in his specials.
Yeah I suppose. I just feel like we already have two Marios on the roster and I'd rather see more series represented.
That being said, Jumpman could work.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I just personally think the show is dreadful and I don't think the Goku example is that bad he's appeared in genuinely very good games such as fighter z for switch.
Friendly reminder that Goku appeared in anime before video games.

Therefore, he has a zip percent of making the roster. Smash is supposed to be about video game characters, not video game and anime mixed and Goku appearing would stick out like a sore thumb. Why not just play Flash or any anime fighting games since those will be the clostest Goku will ever be in something like Smash.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think the direct will air within the next few days. Nintendo is in a rough spot. The stuff that happened in Japan truly sucks but they still need to do what they do and they surely don't want major Smash info revealed in a magazine first if Famitsu really does have new info.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

It’d probably just be unnecessary work, but it’d be really cool if certain team-ups of chaacters had special team victory animations.

Chrom and Robin, and Chrom and Lucina: they can do some pose together, and in the latters’ case, holding their Falchions together.

Kirby and Meta Knight: Meta is trying to act all stoic while Kirby is jumping up and dancing, and Kirby tries to cheer him up.

Kirby and Dedede: Same thing but Dedede is trying to act like he hates Kirby and looking away from him, only for Kirby start tugging on his cape.

Mario and Peach: Mario doing a little dance, then Peach kisses him on cheek and he gets all flustered

Mario and Yoshi: Mario rides around on Yoshi’s back for a bit

Wario and literally anyone else I don’t care: The first character stars a victory animation, then Wario runs over him/her on his bike and steals the spotlight

The possibilities are endless, especially when you consider cross-series ones like Link and Cloud, Mario and Sonic, Kirby and Jigglypuff, and various combinations of the villains.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If we had to have a classic DK rep, I'd much rather have DK Jr. Unlike Jumpman who is literally just Mario, Junior is a relic of the past. Unless our modern DK is Junior? Because he's either that or Junior's son. DK lore hurts my brain...

How'd Cranky lose so much weight and muscle mass anyway? I mean I know it's common for people to lose weight as they grow old but Cranky doesn't even look like a gorilla anymore. The fact that he is the old DK is something I find greatly disturbing.

Iridium

Smash Hero
The victory screen in general looks a lot nicer this time around.
The only thing I'm not a fan of is the announcer saying "____ WINS!" instead of "THE WINNER IS: _____"

It sounds a lot less natural.
Really gives off an MK feel, but with a less menacing voice and background to me.

Edit: Mortal Kombat, not Meta Knight. Just saying.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If we had to have a classic DK rep, I'd much rather have DK Jr. Unlike Jumpman who is literally just Mario, Junior is a relic of the past. Unless our modern DK is Junior? Because he's either that or Junior's son. DK lore hurts my brain...

How'd Cranky lose so much weight and muscle mass anyway? I mean I know it's common for people to lose weight as they grow old but Cranky doesn't even look like a gorilla anymore. The fact that he is the old DK is something I find greatly disturbing.
Imagine this as a roster:

DK, Diddy, K Rool, Dixie, and DK Jr?

Doooooooooooooood, this would be a great roster for the DK rep!

Iridium

Smash Hero
It’d probably just be unnecessary work, but it’d be really cool if certain team-ups of chaacters had special team victory animations.

Chrom and Robin, and Chrom and Lucina: they can do some pose together, and in the latters’ case, holding their Falchions together.

Kirby and Meta Knight: Meta is trying to act all stoic while Kirby is jumping up and dancing, and Kirby tries to cheer him up.

Kirby and Dedede: Same thing but Dedede is trying to act like he hates Kirby and looking away from him, only for Kirby start tugging on his cape.

Mario and Peach: Mario doing a little dance, then Peach kisses him on cheek and he gets all flustered

Wario and literally anyone else I don’t care: The first character stars a victory animation, then Wario runs over him/her on his bike and steals the spotlight

The possibilities are endless, especially when you consider cross-series ones like Link and Cloud, Mario and Sonic, Kirby and Jigglypuff, and various combinations of the villains.
I need to see some interaction between Link and Cloud! I always thought they would work well as a team honestly.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It alter one moment in the ending, one moment that is just here to tell you "hey, we haven't forget that you killed everyone, we will make sure you don't forget it you dirty killer".

The rest of the game is perfectly playable without problems, if you can't assume the consequence of your choices, then it ain't the game fault imo. Especially when the "punishement" for it isn't that bad all things considered. (it's not like say, hacking Earthbound, playing the whole game with harder difficulty, then facing Gigyas only for the game to crash at the very end and delete your save file in the process. That's actual punishement right there)
Well, I myself have never actually played Undertale; and even if I had, I wouldn't have played the Genocide Route anyway (I don't even play Nuzlockes or FE Ironman runs).

However, I still don't think it's right to make morality judgement calls on the player.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I'm surprised by how many people actually expect Tharja to be in Robin's Final Smash. If she somehow does end up playing that roll then you can bet she's going to be censored and a lot of her fans are going to be cranky about it. Don't forget how her 3DS trophy didn't make the cut.

Actually, what if they make Ignis Robin's Final Smash? It'd make sense with Great Aether variants being Ike's/Chrom's.
I'd honestly prefer if they kept his FS, but added Tharja to attack with magic while Robin used the Levin Sword.

Outside of Morgan and maybe Lissa, she's the one that makes the most sense to be included in if they keep it the same. With Morgan, you'd have to probably switch the genders of the children give the opposite is exclusive to which one you picked unless it'll just be the F!Morgan somehow. It's unlikely that Tharja would get in, given the ESRB leak, but I'd prefer it more.
Although, as nice as it would be to get Ignis, I still feel like the Pair-Up mechanic should be kept given that's the staple of Awakening itself.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I think the direct will air within the next few days. Nintendo is in a rough spot. The stuff that happened in Japan truly sucks but they still need to do what they do and they surely don't want major Smash info revealed in a magazine first if Famitsu really does have new info.
Absolutely they're in a tight situation. They definitely made the right call delaying it, but the longer they go without showing it, the more information is going to come out. We've already seen a good deal of the third party surprises, and I'm sure we'll hear about Smash stuff soon too from magazines and such.

That's why I'm wondering if they'll just stealth upload it like they did with that direct back in January.

D

Deleted member

I like the idea of a playable Cranky Kong. Mainly because he does the Scrooge pogo-stick move, which would probably become my new favorite move if it was in Smash.

It'd also kiiiiinda be like getting Shovel Knight, which would be awesome.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Well, I myself have never actually played Undertale; and even if I had, I wouldn't have played the Genocide Route anyway (I don't even play Nuzlockes or FE Ironman runs).

However, I still don't think it's right to make morality judgement calls on the player.
The whole point of the game is to make morality judgments on how people are just totally fine killing a bunch of people in RPG's so they can be stronger.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Well, you can get a lot less fit as you get older (not to mention other health problems), so it's likely that Cranky stopped bothering doing much activity after getting repeatedly beaten by Mario (and Stanley).

Really gives off an MK feel, but with a less menacing voice and background to me.

Edit: Mortal Kombat, not Meta Knight. Just saying.
Speaking of menacing, I find it inherently funny that Xander announces Villager's name menacingly, as if he is aware of his reputation among the AC fanbase.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Absolutely they're in a tight situation. They definitely made the right call delaying it, but the longer they go without showing it, the more information is going to come out. We've already seen a good deal of the third party surprises, and I'm sure we'll hear about Smash stuff soon too from magazines and such.

That's why I'm wondering if they'll just stealth upload it like they did with that direct back in January.
Mr. Buzzwole, may I ask about that stealth upload? Did the direct video suddenly appear like what happened with that Nindies Presentation in August?

The_Killah29

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Switch FC
SW-6336-0165-8517

Dang, now I want this.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I like the idea of a playable Cranky Kong. Mainly because he does the Scrooge pogo-stick move, which would probably become my new favorite move if it was in Smash.

It'd also kiiiiinda be like getting Shovel Knight, which would be awesome.
And best part is we'll get a non-sword fighter so brings more uniqueness into the roster.

I'm sorry I had to

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
It sucks to think that some of the people who died could have been Smash fans like us, but they will never get to play Ultimate. Either way, nobody should have died at all.
Thinking about this gives me shivers. It's really sad knowing that there were people who died without playing Smash Bros Ultimate and Cyberpunk 2077.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom