• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
With respect, can we please not fan fires here? People are tense enough as is.
Agreed. While I was using exclamation marks, I did intend to say that we need to focus on our lives first. I intended to say, that if the Direct was canceled, then there would be heavy uproar coming, as it would be the first time. I didn't say that the Direct should start now, I said that the direct just can't be canceled at all costs.

C-Can you please not be rude, Mic_128 Mic_128 ? It scares and sadden me a bit...I know I was rude, but let's not flame, please.
Apology accepted? I-It's just sensitive right now.

So.. let's get knee deep into a pointless argument...

That's Pyra drinking tea, right? Why didn't you invite me, then?! I could have been more calm with an tea party!

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
My feelings go to all the families effected.

On a related note there are theories going around that the direct was delayed since one of the games that was to be shown off involved an earthquake, and showing it then would be insensitive. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member

If nothing else, the Japanese people are super resilient. I don't doubt that they'll be back up and running in no time, but I can see most normal procedures stopping for a short while as everybody makes sure that others get back on their feet. I just hope that this isn't followed up by a Tsunami since Earthquakes are known to spawn that.

It'd be nice if I were a bit more tech-savvy. I wouldn't mind trying to set up, or be a part of, some kind of stream gaming event where proceeds went to them. Maybe like a bunch of speed runs or something...I dunno.

Untouch

Smash Master

On a related note there are theories going around that the direct was delayed since one of the games that was to be shown off involved an earthquake, and showing it then would be insensitive. Thoughts?
Pokemon was being shown too, they've been focusing a lot on attack animations in the marketing so they may have shown off the Earthquake animation.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

There are theories that Isaac was supposed to be announced here. He uses a lot of Earth based attacks in Golden Sun.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think I'm going to stay clear of any more conversations at this thread right now. The earthquake incident was definitely a sad time for the Japanese residents, and I want to at least respect their lives, and their well-being.

I'll probably post again by the weekend, but until then, I'll likely just be reading any future posts that come after this one.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
There are theories that Isaac was supposed to be announced here. He uses a lot of Earth based attacks in Golden Sun.
No offense, but I don't think it has to do with him. I think it has more to do with there being a game that was probably inappropriate. We can say theories, of course, but Isaac is not likely in my opinion.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So.. let's get knee deep into a pointless argument...

That reminds me. Six months ago, Pyra's outfit would've immediately started an aggressive debate. Today, Elma struggles to remain seen as a likely character, while Rex/Pyra aren't even given the time of day.

Amazing how much things can change in a blink of an eye.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
However, we do need to continue speculation with class. Maybe speculating about what this tragedy does to the game isn't exactly the best way to do that. I dunno. Maybe I'm too sensitive but seeing people worry about what this does to the Online or game itself just kinda irks me a bit.
I can agree with this. It is great for people to come together to support one another, and that should be encouraged. This forum, based around a game created and developed in Japan, is obviously what bonds us all together. But it is also important to note that many other locations have undergone a lot of problems, from this current situation and many other times for many other reasons. I encourage anyone to use this as an opportunity to find ways to stay more invested in what is happening in our global society- because it really is a shame it took the direct being canceled for a this wave of impact to be seen on the forum. (The one thing I will say Twitter is good for, is finding out news quickly.)

I dont mean for this to be insensitive. Not at all. I believe instead in using the circumstances to create action for a changed and improved future...but now Im just sounding didactic.

Last edited:

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
MrSmashFour MrSmashFour said to not worry about it. For now, we should only really worry about the well-being of the earthquake survivors.
I totally agree, what I said was just an afterthought. I'm really sorry if I made it seem that I didn't care, it's just that I've been in a really dejected mood ever since I woke up and saw the news - not at all because of the delay but because of the disasters. Please forgive me.

Untouch

Smash Master
A lot of japan is also without electricity at the moment, it may have nothing to do with earthquakes in the direct at all.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That reminds me. Six months ago, Pyra's outfit would've immediately started an aggressive debate. Today, Elma struggles to remain seen as a likely character, while Rex/Pyra aren't even given the time of day.

I may try out X2 just to see what the hype of Rex / Pyra is. I know they're like the main characters or something but I heard mixed things about the game.

But hey I'm all for new female representation fanservicey or not.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I may try out X2 just to see what the hype of Rex / Pyra is. I know they're like the main characters or something but I heard mixed things about the game.

The mixed reception are just those XC1/XC X haters. Ignore them, and play that game. You will not regret it.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'd prefer that to witnessing people directly ignoring the request not to respond to the classless jokes.
I agree cuz these are a little suffocating, I mean the kids are back in school right? All the edgy teens should be terrorizing their teachers and listening to Linkin Park (Whew guess who's old).

Well people are fickle, I didn't think about Pyra that much back then.
Just a little taken aback at the Japanese ESRB arguments because well Bayo was in the game and now Snake is back, so...eh?

Though really I've like Pyra's design from the start even more after playing the game. Rex I hated in the beginning but I grew to like him.

The character designs overall are pretty solid, I gotta say I kinda like it more than X but I do miss those giant robots, hope that gets ported soon.

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
they said the direct date will be announced in the near future. It's unlikely this will be more than a delay to help those affected recover without needlessly diverting public attention to video game announcements.

I don't really think most people here are ready to or should be discussing a topic like this. Although I will say one thing, above anything else, nintendo is a business.

D

Deleted member

I do have one some issue with this entire Direct cancelling. People suddenly want to donate or help in someway. If a Direct hadn’t been canceled, would anyone know about it. I mean, Japan had a huge disaster back in July with flooding and landslides that caused 200 deaths. I recognize people want to help but why now? I get you want to help but it just kind of irks me the more I think about it. (And I’m talking in general, not only here).

Sorry, just my thoughts.

I do hope that when they delay it, it’s at the same time. That was perfect for me since it would be 7 am instead of 1 or 2 am like they did previously.
For me personally, I hadn't heard of the event back then (I dont really watch the news often) and if its not featured on a news site, I don't notice. Also, I was recovering from Transplant surgery, so that kept me in the dark for a lot of worldly things going on lol. Right now, it was nowhere to be found on Yahoo. I found it once earlier, but as of a few minutes ago, I couldnt find it on their main page or anywhere in their 'News' section. Nothing on CNN unless you specifically switch over to 'World' in which you'll find a small link 3 articles beneath the promoted Article regarding a Philipines Mayor. So, if you have to really dig for it, it's not common news to people.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman

X1 does some things better than X2, and X2 does some things better than X1. Just enjoy it.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
X1 does some things better than X2, and X2 does some things better than X1. Just enjoy it.
I also haven't played X1.
So I'm mostly blind to the series in general besides some X1 memes.

I harbor no ill will towards the series, I can only go off of reviews and stuff because of my lack of playing. Already said I'll try it out haha.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Regarding the quakes, how is hokkaido infrastructure compared to the rest of japan? is equally modern? if so...i think the biggest problem where the landslides, honestly, terrible weather, lots of rain, mountains and earthquake aren't exactly a great combination.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else think that Ultimate is gonna be delayed now? I firmly believe that it's not gonna launch until next year because of all this.
No, because the offices where Smash are being developed are about 400 miles from where the earthquake happened. The direct has been delayed out of respect. Development on games will continue as normal, don't worry yourself.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Whilst I am certain the earthquake situation was the main reason for the delay, it is hard to say since we do not know what is within the planned Nintendo Direct.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I do have one some issue with this entire Direct cancelling. People suddenly want to donate or help in someway. If a Direct hadn’t been canceled, would anyone know about it. I mean, Japan had a huge disaster back in July with flooding and landslides that caused 200 deaths. I recognize people want to help but why now? I get you want to help but it just kind of irks me the more I think about it. (And I’m talking in general, not only here).

Sorry, just my thoughts.

I do hope that when they delay it, it’s at the same time. That was perfect for me since it would be 7 am instead of 1 or 2 am like they did previously.
You are not alone.
I'm hoping that, given the age diversity in this forum, this actually may be a moment of learning and empathy for many people.
What happened in Japan is by no means to be taken lightly, but there are big events around the world constantly that should be understood by global citizens. For example, there is literal "ethnic cleansing" (genocide) happening right now in Burma.
I really am hoping that there are a bunch of people in this forum right now that are learning to humanize these terrible, large scale events.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I just hopped on, so I have no idea what the context of this is. But this was my thought exactly: aren't Directs pre-recorded, not live? I can understand if they didn't want to air it out of respect, but wouldn't it have taken them a button press to do it if they already had everything edited together?

Last edited by a moderator:

LetterO

Smash Lord
On a brighter note, I hope the direct is delayed to a better day and time. The one planned for today would be a few minutes before I got out of school, so if they started with a Smash trailer, that would’ve sucked for me.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Also. This seems ridiculous, but I cannot seem to find the character speculation forums anymore.
I know I'm exhausted but I've been googling "smash boards *character*" to get to the speculation characters.
Werent they more apparent before?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
On a brighter note, I hope the direct is delayed to a better day and time. The one planned for today would be a few minutes before I got out of school, so if they started with a Smash trailer, that would’ve sucked for me.
It was a great time for worldwide viewing tbh

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Well this is really sad news. I do hate that we aren't getting the direct soon, but I completely understand why this had to happen. I hope that everybody in Nintendo of Japan is alright and that none of their belongings were damaged in the Earthquake. I know they can't try to make magic happen today, but I still applaud them for being honest and upfront about the situation as well as doing something in response to the recent event.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
The only thing that stinks, aside from Japan being hit by am earthquake, is that this Direct will likely get leaked if the delay isn't prompt. Somebody, be it a retailer, standard leaker, etc., will mess up, and the info will leak.

Flarzo

Smash Cadet
Wait what? Why was my post removed? All I am saying is that "stop saying the direct won't canceled, people's lives are endangered" is not a very valid argument.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Wait what? Why was my post removed? All I am saying is that "stop saying the direct won't canceled, people's lives are endangered" is not a very valid argument.
It won't be canceled because they already said they'll announce a new schedule soon.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I just hopped on, so I have no idea what the context of this is. But this was my thought exactly: aren't Directs pre-recorded, not live? I can understand if they didn't want to air it out of respect, but wouldn't it have taken them a button press to do it if they already had everything edited together?
Who's going to watch it in Japan when everywhere is airing disaster coverage and aid information?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hey anyone, message me if you want to play some Switch. I'm losing a little faith in the gaming community today (and recently).

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Delayed huh? Can't be helped. Oh well, guessing I'll just sink another day in Dragon Quest 11 instead lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom