• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
While disappointing it is understandable. I'm guessing early next week, Monday or Tuesday.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
This direct can't just be canceled, it is very important!
God damn, you sound like Trump. The direct is jsut showing off stuff about videogames. This has destroyed people's homes, their livlihoods, not to mention the obvious fact that multiple people have died.

Grow the hell up.

And as Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom said above, there is a time for joking about things, and it is not while the event is ongoing.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
God damn, you sound like Trump. The direct is jsut showing off stuff about videogames. This has destroyed people's homes, their livlihoods, not to mention the obvious fact that multiple people have died.

Grow the hell up.
I already reported that post. He's oblivious to the fact that nine people have died, thirty are missing, and thousands are without electricity and/or running water.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I just hope that nobody in the Nintendo Tyoko office was seriously injured or killed during the Earthquake (May the Heavenly Father give the Japanese people some comfort and protection in time of such a tragedy)!
Tokyo? I don't think we have a Nintendo office based here in Tokyo. Beyond that, the earthquake affected neither Tokyo nor Kyoto, where Nintendo HQ is based. While nobody in Nintendo may have been hurt, let's remember those who have lost homes, family and friends in these recent events.

Last edited:

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
They can always just delay the launch of the online service
That would make their entire fiscal plan irrelevant. Also, they can't afford to keep up the delays, check out their stock value since last night.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They can always just delay the launch of the online service
The earthquake incident could also delay Smash Ultimate's development as well. The worst case scenario would be that the game gets delayed past Christmas time, but this has happened more than once.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Can we like, organize a donation drive to send money, assistance or something?
I'm sure the major charities and other aid efforts will have something soon. I'm sure we'll have an article with ways you can help assist once they can get a better idea on the scale of the disaster and work out the best way to get relief efforts going. For now, if you are looking at donating money, please be careful of the organisations you send money to, as sadly, there are vultures who are only to happy to take advantage of tragedy.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Well, our lives are very important, but we have to focus on that first. Then we can focus on the Direct.

Nintendo will just delay it. They can't just outright cancel it, there would be uproar.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The earthquake incident could also delay Smash Ultimate's development as well. The worst case scenario would be that the game gets delayed past Christmas time, but this has happened more than once.
They can't delay Smash Ultimate. It's supposed to be Nintendo's holiday big seller. If it gets delayed than Nintendo will have to rely on Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee for the holiday season.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Tokyo? I don't think we have a Nintendo office based here in Tokyo. Beyond that, the earthquake affected neither Tokyo nor Kyoto, where Nintendo HQ is based.
Not sure about Nintendo itself, but Sora Ltd. and Monolith Soft seem to be based in Tokyo.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Well, if the Hokkaido earthquake turns out to be a lot worse than we anticipated (aftershocks have to be taken into account too), then the Nintendo Direct delay will likely be much longer than you think. Lives are more important right now, so the sharks that want more Smash Bros. news will have to wait until the incident finally calms down.
The 1 thing I don't get is that why can't nintendo stream it in the other parts of japan not affected by the earthquake and here too

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
How...? The offices aren't in the earthquake zone, the direct has just been delayed due to a combination of the lack of electricity in Hokkaido, and - much more prominently - out of respect for the fact that people don't really wanna watch an official livestream about colourful fun games the night after a horrific earthquake.

I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves here, we just have to be patient for probably about a week and we'll get the direct. In the meantime, we should be thinking of the families in Hokkaido suffering from this tragedy.

Last edited:

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I doubt the direct will be delayed too long. These things are timed with a lot of stuff in mind. The window where they can release it and not have it affect their plans in a costly way is likely somewhat tight.

My thoughts go out to the people of Japan who have lost loved ones in this tragedy as well as the typhoon and heat wave. I just wish there was something more we could do.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Nintendo will just delay it. They can't just outright cancel it, there would be uproar.
People have died. The only people who would get in an uproar about not seeing what is literally an advertisement for a videogame because of an earthquake killing people and affecting tens of thousands of people are those with a complete and utter lack of empathy.

They could easily just release a simple press release later with the details of the direct at a later date.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They can't delay Smash Ultimate. It's supposed to be Nintendo's holiday big seller. If it gets delayed than Nintendo will have to rely on Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee for the holiday season.
Well, that is the harsh reality that we might have to be prepared for. If I recall, Brawl was originally going to be released before the end of 2007, but it was delayed until March 2008 for North America. Likewise, the Wii U version of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze didn't get released until February 2014, but that was likely done to avoid any competition with Super Mario 3D World.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The 1 thing I don't get is that why can't nintendo stream it in the other parts of japan not affected by the earthquake and here too
They don't want to alienate fans who live in the earthquake zone without any power.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
For clarity. The earthquakes didn't seriously effect any of the major cities. Kyoto wasn't even really touched. You don't have to worry about Ultimate getting delayed, or the online getting delayed, or any of that stuff. You really shouldn't be worried about that. What we should be worried about are the people who were effected by this disaster. There's been tragedies today and it wouldn't be right for people to be losing it over a Direct in such hard times.

However, we do need to continue speculation with class. Maybe speculating about what this tragedy does to the game isn't exactly the best way to do that. I dunno. Maybe I'm too sensitive but seeing people worry about what this does to the Online or game itself just kinda irks me a bit.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Honestly, aside from not wanting to have a Direct during a time like this, which is very understandable, Nintendo's timeline is not likely to change. Kyoto (Nintendo) and Tokyo (Bandai Namco) were uneffected, so likely no delays aside from the delay of this Direct, since it would be in very poor taste to have one at a time like this.

My guess is it'll pop up on Tuesday.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
People have died. The only people who would get in an uproar about not seeing what is literally an advertisement for a videogame because of an earthquake killing people and affecting tens of thousands of people are those with a complete and utter lack of empathy.
You're not wrong, but, it won't be cancelled. Delaying a direct for a few days out of respect is one thing, sacrificing your company's entire quarter fiscal plan because of it is another.

Well, that is the harsh reality that we might have to be prepared for. If I recall, Brawl was originally going to be released before the end of 2007, but it was delayed until March 2008 for North America. Likewise, the Wii U version of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze didn't get released until February 2014, but that was likely done to avoid any competition with Super Mario 3D World.
Those are completely different and unrelated scenarios. This earthquake has not affected the actual offices where Smash is being developed, so don't worry about it. The direct has been delayed to show respect.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Oh **** what about those people in the more rural areas?

Can't say much for what has been lost that can't be replaced but I hope those affected can recover soon.

Last edited:

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
My heart goes out to Japan. I might be missing something and not fully understanding the true extent of the earthquake but what is making the earthquake so much worse than the tsunami just went through? Just seems interesting to me that a tsunami goes through on I believe September 4th and nintendo still was planning to go through with a direct and then the earthquake happens and they decide to delay. Again, timing is everything and I am totally fine with Nintendo’s decision to push it back, just curious about the reasoning one disaster didn’t change plans but the second did (or maybe it is the combination).

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Does anyone else think that Ultimate is gonna be delayed now? I firmly believe that it's not gonna launch until next year because of all this.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I do have one some issue with this entire Direct cancelling. People suddenly want to donate or help in someway. If a Direct hadn’t been canceled, would anyone know about it. I mean, Japan had a huge disaster back in July with flooding and landslides that caused 200 deaths. I recognize people want to help but why now? I get you want to help but it just kind of irks me the more I think about it. (And I’m talking in general, not only here).

Sorry, just my thoughts.

I do hope that when they delay it, it’s at the same time. That was perfect for me since it would be 7 am instead of 1 or 2 am like they did previously.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At the risk of sounding terrible, can we just steer clear of this topic? My prayers go out to those in Japan, but I really don't want to talk about this anymore if I have to feel like I'm constantly walking on eggshells. It feels like just about any time someone mentions having some disappointment or frustration on the Direct being delayed, there's gonna be five other users ready to pounce who will overreact and criticize that person for being selfish. And if that doesn't start an argument, the question of whether or not Ultimate gets delayed because of this will.

Last edited:

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
Does anyone else think that Ultimate is gonna be delayed now? I firmly believe that it's not gonna launch until next year because of all this.
My understanding is ultimate is being made in the Tokyo region which I believe hasn’t been hit by the natural disasters so development should still in general be on track.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No. The earthquake did not affect the actual offices the game is being developed yet.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't think so.

I'm sure while I'm typing this a bunch of people will already say their reasons, but it would be improbable.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I give Nintendo respect for delaying the Direct, and hope for the best for the people in Japan

-quoting a post that was removed-

...sarcasm or not, nothing about what you said was funny...

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The earthquake wasn't anywhere near tokyo where smash is being developed, the area seems to have been largely unnaffected, it's fine, plus the game is pretty much done at this point.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
First, the direct was postponed, and second, this does not confirm Isaac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom