• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
The blog isn't an issue. Writing two lines of content and linking a video that already exists on YouTube is nothing.

Amending a schedule is nothing.

Pushing a data load is nothing.

They're not gonna suddenly spoil anything by accident.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Just woke up to hear the news, it sucks but it's understandable, I just hope everyone is alright and they manage to bounce back quickly.

When are people thinking the direct is gonna come out now?

BigMac1304

Smash Apprentice
oh...oh my god. that just raised my excitement through the roof! it probably means nothing but what if it means everything?!
Don't get too excited. I play Splatoon 2 and can confirm that those are supposed to be Octo Expansion compatible.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Read this imediatley the direct has been delayed from today to a future date that has not been specified! due to an earthquake in hokkaido

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
I'm going for the next week. Everything was prepared for today and keep it for a long time seems silly. Japan got emergency plans for this problems and they will stand up soon. One complete week at very last.

D

Deleted member

Oh man, that stinks. Hope it wasn't too bad an Earthquake. Hype's gonna be at unsustainable levels as more people learn that its been delayed.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
My condolences to the people of Japan. I think we can take another week (or maybe two) of waiting. It is a bummer that the Direct got pushed back but it is understandable why it had to be done.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Just heard the news that the Direct is delayed due to an Earthquake in Hokkaido. That's too bad, but I completely understand. It's the right thing to do for the sake of those people who died, and are missing, and suffering right now. My heart, thoughts, and prayers goes out to the people in Japan. I hope you find those who are missing, get back on your feet, and hope you all have a quick recovery.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Finally caught up after going through nearly 100 pages.

It's definitely sad whenever a major earthquake turns deadly. We can only really hope for the best for the survivors.

But it does seem odd how this incident occurred after the next Nintendo Direct got announced. One could say that it's a bad omen, but it's more than likely just a coincidence, since Japan can be an unlucky country when it comes to typhoons, earthquakes, volcanic activity, and other things that I've likely overlooked.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It’s alright

Probably Monday-we’d essay next week should be when we see it
Well, if the Hokkaido earthquake turns out to be a lot worse than we anticipated (aftershocks have to be taken into account too), then the Nintendo Direct delay will likely be much longer than you think. Lives are more important right now, so the sharks that want more Smash Bros. news will have to wait until the incident finally calms down.

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
My feelings are pretty much everyone else’s: sucks that it got delayed, but a completely understandable and valid reason. Hope everyone is ok over in Japan.

D

Deleted member

Finally caught up after going through nearly 100 pages.

It's definitely sad whenever a major earthquake turns deadly. We can only really hope for the best for the survivors.

But it does seem odd how this incident occurred after the next Nintendo Direct got announced. One could say that it's a bad omen, but it's more than likely just a coincidence, since Japan can be an unlucky country when it comes to typhoons, earthquakes, volcanic activity, and other things that I've likely overlooked.
The ring of fire has been pretty active lately, so it may not be that surprising that an Earthquake happened; especially since the entirety of Japan is within the ring. The Japanese Government might have been more prepared than usual for it since I'm sure their Seismologists were keeping on top of it. Granted, something like that can't be predicted, but seeing a recent pattern probably helped.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
The current situation, to quote the BBC:

"At least eight people have been killed and about 40 are missing, say local media reports. The magnitude 6.7 quake cut power to around three million homes after a thermal power plant was damaged. The earthquake comes on the heels of a deadly typhoon lashing the west of Japan over the past few days. Jebi, the strongest typhoon to hit the country in 25 years, killed at least 10 people and caused widespread damage and disruption."

Japan will, of course, pull through. Please note the typhoon and the earthquake hit two distinctly separate regions of Japan and did not overlap. Many homes have been destroyed and people are shaken. We (the Honshu region) also just got out of a massive heat wave that killed many and left thousands hospitalized with heat stroke. It's been a shaky end to the summer season. I look forward to a better autumn. We'll get our direct soon enough.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The ring of fire has been pretty active lately, so it may not be that surprising that an Earthquake happened; especially since the entirety of Japan is within the ring. The Japanese Government might have been more prepared than usual for it since I'm sure their Seismologists were keeping on top of it. Granted, something like that can't be predicted, but seeing a recent pattern probably helped.
With the many kinds of disasters that Japan is known for, it definitely feels like it's among the most dangerous countries to be living in. But I guess the Japanese have dealt with the incidents enough times to overcome most of them.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm actually surprised the direct was scheduled to happen today anyways, with the typhoons happening.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, if the Hokkaido earthquake turns out to be a lot worse than we anticipated (aftershocks have to be taken into account too), then the Nintendo Direct delay will likely be much longer than you think. Lives are more important right now, so the sharks that want more Smash Bros. news will have to wait until the incident finally calms down.
They can't wait too long because the direct has to come out before the online service launches.

Untouch

Smash Master
If I was to guess, I'd say tomorrow or Monday, they can't really do it on Tuesday. Hope it's early on Monday if they do place it then because I have class when it was supposed to be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They can't wait too long because the direct has to come out before the online service launches.
An earthquake incident is not something that can be taken care of quickly though. Aftershocks can potentially occur as well, and that can potentially delay the recovery efforts even further.

I know that a Nintendo Direct was originally scheduled for today, but the earthquake recovery efforts are much more important right now.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
An earthquake incident is not something that can be taken care of quickly though. Aftershocks can potentially occur as well, and that can potentially delay the recovery efforts even further.

I know that a Nintendo Direct was originally scheduled for today, but the earthquake recovery efforts are much more important right now.
Then, the direct should just get cancelled altogether.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Then, the direct should just get cancelled altogether.
All that we can really do is wait. We're still in early September, so the Nintendo Direct could potentially be taken care of before the month comes to an end. But the earthquake's timing was definitely a monkey wrench that a lot of people weren't expecting.

Untouch

Smash Master
They don't even have a release date for the online service yet, so I don't see how that's the truth.

D

Deleted member

Remember when entire Pokemon anime arcs were dropped and cancelled because of natural disasters? And never shown again even years after they happened? And despite having been fully animated and ready to air? Don't worry, I'm not reminding you for any particular reason.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This probably isn't a good time for jokes. But you know, I'm actually rather surprised that Earthquake is still an attack in the Pokemon series, as it has never been used in the TV series after the Hoenn saga.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Aftershocks are still going on. 9 dead and 30 some missing. Thousands upon thousands without water or electricity. It’s a national emergency.

I was watching hundreds of people lining up to receive care packets and water amid power, food, and water outages and zero sign of looting, mayhem, or rioting ... not even from the foreign population (take that, Ishihara you dried up xenophobe!).

Only in Japan. Sometimes.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Amy Rose! If you say that and it somehow becomes true, you're going to be screwed by several waves of fans! This direct can't just be canceled, it is very important!
What's more important: A video game, or people's lives?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Amy Rose! If you say that and it somehow becomes true, you're going to be screwed by several waves of fans! This direct can't just be canceled, it is very important!
It's nowhere near as important as the people who are currently suffering. If the direct gets canceled? So be it. I can live without it, and so will you and everyone else.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Is this also the first time a Direct has ever been delayed? I think I've watched every one since they started in 2012, and I don't remember any other Direct being delayed for any reason. My condolences go to all of those affected by the nautral disasters throughout Japan.

EDIT: Someone on the previous page asked the same question and the answer was yes. If any Direct had to be delayed, this one was the right choice.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm actually surprised the direct was scheduled to happen today anyways, with the typhoons happening.
At least you can plan ahead for a typhoon. Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are a completely different matter though.

What's more important: A video game, or people's lives?
Lives are definitely more important. If the Nintendo Direct does get cancelled, we can still live on without it.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m all for time-sensitive jokes and I don’t have much of a filter but please do try to show some class and respect Nintendo’s decision. Also, if you see someone making jokes or inappropriate conversation in relation to the earthquake (thank god we arent yahoo news), please report it. Don’t respond to it. That’s off topic and can cause you o get in trouble too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom