• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, in this context Fatal Frame quite literally has twice as many releases, so if # of games is what they meant Fatal Frame is objectively bigger.

Also it's kinda annoying that everyone sleeps on an unrepresented Nintendo IP with so many releases and tie-ins and I like to remind people we exist. Its not by any means the most obscure IP people here are pushing for
There's only ten games in the series, no? I don't feel you're contextualizing the game fairly.

"Since its debut in 2001, the Fatal Frame series has sold 1.3 million copies worldwide.[74]"
That's pretty abysmal, in my eyes.
In this context. Gaming can be a hard industry to break into, but .101 million copies on average per game? An average metacritic rating in the mid 70s? ...and it is not even first party, unless Nintendo bought it recently.
How can you honestly say this game has a shot?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

E V E R Y O N E  I S  C O U N T I N G  O N  M E ,  I  G O T T A  S T E P  I T  U P !

I legit don't know what's worse. The 230+ hours of grinding I did for KOS-MOS or the 10 hours of doing this side quest.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think Rhythm Heaven could get a playable fighter but I dunno... I'm just not really feeling it. It's hard to see it in this game.

It's the biggest Nintendo IP currently not represented in Smash but it might have just been screwed over by hardware limitations and timing.
Didn't it get trophies? Yeah, it did. So it's currently represented. I think you were referring to "playable" status, though.

Regardless, when it comes to many series, just having them have content in Smash can still be pretty amazing(See: Shovel Knight).

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I hope everyone in Japan is safe. I live right next to them so I hear this kind of news all the time, but it always makes me worried. And I heard this one was pretty big as well, so I really hope nothing went wrong over there.

LetterO

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMt0PzmXosU

Nintendo's stream went down

"This video has been removed for violating Youtube's terms of service "
YouTube’s had enough of Nintendo killing their own characters.

EDIT: Had no idea what happened in Japan when making the post. Condolences to the people living there, and hopefully they can get out of that rough spot quick.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
There's only ten games in the series, no? I don't feel you're contextualizing the game fairly.
1,1DX,2,2DX,3,4,2Wii,5,SC,and some phone games
6-10 depending on how you count. I put it at 8 personally.

Aren't there only 4 in RH? So yeah, FF is twice as many titles. That's before you start considering FF is a multimedia franchise as well.

"Since its debut in 2001, the Fatal Frame series has sold 1.3 million copies worldwide.[74]"
That's pretty abysmal, in my eyes.
In this context. Gaming can be a hard industry to break into, but .101 million copies on average per game? An average metacritic rating in the mid 70s? ...and it is not even first party, unless Nintendo bought it recently.
How can you honestly say this game has a shot?
Nintendo co-owns it and it's actually pretty influencial. RE7 creators brought it up in their GDC talk, for example. It also got a movie, manga, and book. And supposedly a Hollywood movie is coming too. It frequently makes gaming websites' best horror games of all time lists. It's already had a presence in Smash, which is more than literally 90% of speculated newcomers can say.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
The Nintendo stream went down for understandable reasons, but Youtube's (possibly automatic) message doesn't make sense.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, I hope everyone in Japan stays safe. Thoughts going out to everyone. :)

I also bet someone who didn't get the message about the delay is going to leak something inadvertently tomorrow.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like the Direct will probably be delayed until next week, or even later now tbh.

I do wonder if Sakurai's team is scrambling to get a replacement PotD in line.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
1,1DX,2,2DX,3,4,2Wii,5,SC,and some phone games
6-10 depending on how you count. I put it at 8 personally.

Aren't there only 4 in RH? So yeah, FF is twice as many titles. That's before you start considering FF is a multimedia franchise as well.
It's also not Nintendo owned.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never got a message back from my friend in Japan. But he also doesn't use Facebook often so that could be the reason

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
see? There wasn't any Smash info tomorrow!

...Because Tomorrow's Direct got delayed!
Hahahaha ****. Foiled again.

Anywho, I hope all of our users in Japan are staying safe. Love and prayers to y'all.

StormC

Smash Hero
Biggest in what sense? Number of games? Sales? Popularity?

Genuine question. I know it's not biggest in #games. I didnt think it was in sales or popularity, but I could easily be wrong
Just in terms of notability. It's pretty popular in Japan and the series has been a mainstay for the last decade or so, but has basically nothing in Smash.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I just stumbled across a Rhythm Heaven debate while I was busy, huh?
Welp, here we go:
Biggest in what sense? Number of games? Sales? Popularity?

Genuine question. I know it's not biggest in #games. I didnt think it was in sales or popularity, but I could easily be wrong
In Japan, Megamix or rather known as The Best Plus over there, sold through 82% of it's initial shipment. So I'd argue that at the very least in Japan that Rhythm Heaven definitely has quite a bit of popularity.

I just don't think a Rhythm Heaven character is out of the question honestly, like the aforementioned game is one of the few series actually relevant around the timing of the finalization of the design document.
I mean I've seen many members here mention that as evidence for games like Majora's Mask and Xenoblade X for their respective characters, so I don't see why that'd be out of the question for a RH character.
Especially if the datamine means anything, it probably leads credence to the fact they worked on like the Ice Climbers were.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I’m still gonna be waiting for Chorus Kids or Karate Joe. If it happens, you all heard it here.
I'm stil waiting too. Just watched a combined hour of Rhythm Heaven Fever perfect runs of the minigames. i probably jinxed them like Takamaru and Ashley :(

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not true. Google it.
I did. That's how I found out anything at all about it.
The series fricken started on playstation.

Seriously Google it. This exact phrase comes up.
Fatal Frame, titled Zero (零 〜zero〜) in Japan and Project Zero in Europe, is a survival horror video game series created and primarily developed by Koei Tecmo (originallyTecmo), and currently co-owned by Koei Tecmo and Nintendo.
And I'm gonna repeat this because it was edited into a post of mine earlier-
after ten games, the series has barely sold 1m copies.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
oh are we discussing rhythm heaven?

Look, if ya'll want to debate of whether it's "worthy" in Smash it's really not worth it.

Now then, for the people that have actually played Rhythm Heaven, let me talk about the best choice. If not, let me introduce you to the best choice: Baxter and Forthington.

Discuss.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Seriously Google it. This exact phrase comes up.
Nintendo's had publishing rights ever since the 4th game.

Supposedly they also co-own it now but tracking the source on that goes to a horror fansite that doesn't really state why that is. Regardless, we haven't had a Fatal Frame on something other than Nintendo consoles in some time and Smash 4 had Fatal Frame trophies.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Then you didn't look at much. It's similar to the Bayonetta situation, but more extreme cuz Nintendo actually got part of the IP, not just publishing rights.

Why couldn't it work for FF if not Bayonetta? FF has stuck around this long for a reason. Nintendo saw it worth acquiring for a reason. Its grown beyond video games for a reason. Sakurai already saw fit to include it in Smash 3DS/Wii U for a reason. It's an influencial horror game and a big part of the genre's history.

LetterO

Smash Lord

Look, if ya'll want to debate of whether it's "worthy" in Smash it's really not worth it.

Now then, for the people that have actually played Rhythm Heaven, let me talk about the best choice. If not, let me introduce you to the best choice: Baxter and Forthington.

Discuss.
distant “BA BA BA BAM!”

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

Discuss.
I don't think anyone should judge characters on their "worth", after all the only characters deserving to be in Smash are the ones included in the original 12.

But as far as Baxter and Forthington go:
I mean, you're not wrong.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Also... I do not mean to be callous among the conversation of Japan. i just dont see any good in posting about it. If it brings anyone on here even the slightest peace of mind, or a reader comfort, it is worth a post- I just have nothing to add to the tragedy and the response toward it. Intention is powerful, but I will not use the phrase of thoughts and prayers. I will, however, renege a comment I made about the internet being down before. It wasnt meant to be shortsighted.

Enchess

Smash Lord

Discuss.
I wasn't debating worthiness. RH is plenty worthy. I was disputing the "biggest unrepresented Nintendo IP" statement, which is definitely false for # games and sales, and seems to be taken on faith popularity wise.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think anyone should judge characters on their "worth", after all the only characters deserving to be in Smash are the ones included in the original 12.

But as far as Baxter and Forthington go:
I mean, you're not wrong.
Jigglypuff? Forget Ness and Lucas. You think Jigglypuff "deserves" to be in and not Pokemon Trainer?
Nintendo's had publishing rights ever since the 4th game.
Does publishing rights mean you own the game and the characters? I'm gonna quote the exact phrase google gives, once again.

"Fatal Frame, titled Zero (零 〜zero〜) in Japan and Project Zero in Europe, is a survival horror video game series created and primarily developed by Koei Tecmo (originallyTecmo), and currently co-owned by Koei Tecmo and Nintendo."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've seen speculation that Isaac was going to be the revealed character and him using an earthquake in the trailer and that's part of the reason it got delayed.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman

Discuss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom