• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There's a movie, a manga, and a novel. There's also a Hollywood adaption that pops up every few years.

Tecmo can explain it's feelings:
"...as Koei Tecmo we believe this is one of our valuable IPs"

It's Nintendo's only horror franchise (Eternal Darkness is only one game), it's the Bayonetta deal years before Bayonetta (Nintendo steps in for previously non-Nintendo franchise and makes it Nintendo exclusive), it's one of the only notable Wii U games

The camera based combat is half of the gameplay and it's not something with any close equivalent in it's competitors. It's not anything like shooting a gun. It's reactive, not proactive. It's incredibly timing sensitive rather than aim sensitive. It also causes extreme perspective shifts, which is unique.
Thank you. That took so long to pull out of you.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dang, didn’t see this coming but it makes sense. Props for Nintendo for recognizing a disaster and thinking of the victims. This isn’t the first time a Japanese company delayed content in an emergency. If I recall, DLC for MvC3 was halted since the game came out right before the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami that killed more than 15,000 people. That’s why UMvC3 was released later in the year. Though from what I can tell, not so many people are overly concerned about it. Business as usual with comments like “that was scary what happened in hokkaido” or “this has been a crazy summer.” Since I live in a snowy area during winter, many seemed concerned we might see record snow.
Please stay safe Venus <3

https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/1037599976917028864

Serebii himself thinks they delayed the Direct due to something in it being 'insensitive'.
Who knows the real reason, but this doesn't not make sense.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Or, y'know, maybe it's because Japan is having what practically is a repeat of 2011 after a massive heatwave, two earthquakes and a typhoon? Maybe they delayed it, y'know, out of respect?

It really doesn't matter what contents are in the Direct, we know that Japan is always careful about what they show. Serebii has been right in the past, but this is a bit of grasping straws.
I'm gonna go with this. Japan does and has delayed/canceled/edited sensitive content around disasters before, but Japan has literally been getting the **** kicked out of them this whole week. I think it's just a good business move for Nintendo to just hold off for a bit and let the country catch a break to get their lives in order.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Earthquakes are scary. I’ve been through a few dozen after coming to Japan fromOhio which gets zero earthquakes. And I was within distance of Mt aso when it erupted that my car and house was blanketed by ash in 2015. But yet Japan continues day by day and often things like this can be a common occurrence sadly. Earthquakes occur almost everyday in Japan but most due very few damage. What seems to the bigger problem was the landslide which took out dozens of houses.

Though nothing was a freaky as getting woken up a year ago by our phone alarms with a message saying “North Korea launched a missile.” Our baby wasn’t born yet which was equally scary. So we watched the tv as they tracked it until it passed over Japan air space. The second one was a few days after our daughter was born and she and mom were due to come back home that afternoon. My wife took her into the hospital bathtub and held her closely just in case something happened. I’m glad that’s (hopefully) over.

I imagine they will delay it to early next week.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
We have no way of knowing for sure what circumstances have changed (Directs/announcements continuing as planned in the past, despite similar situatuons, doesn't mean they would do the same in current day), so I'll apologize if my tone was harsh.

For now even if it does potentially mean something, being apathetic to Nintendo/Japan's situation because of video games sends a poor message (as unfortunate as the timing already is for all of this).

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
A lot of replies from Japanese users on the Japanese Tweet about the delay say that they are thankful that Nintendo is doing this so that people can watch the Direct in a more "calm and clean" state. And many people are saying that it was a very respectful decision on Nintendo's part, with some even saying Nintendo is setting a great example of how companies should act.

The internet community has something to learn from that. Really, let's not turn this into a speculation, that's really disrespectful.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yeah, I feel for the people of Japan right now.

Sucks the direct is delayed, but it's completely understandable and a trivial problem compared to what they're going through.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry. I'm not good with condolences
There’s nothing to be sorry for. You aren’t required to do, say, or think anything. Everyone grieves and sympathizes in their own way, and usually these are deeply personal and private affairs. We all understand the scope of the situation, and we’ll all parse it differently.

Here’s to solidarity.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Also, referring to what the topic was a bit earlier:
It was a debate over Golden Sun or Rhythm Heaven? Wow, okay. I guess I should've read a couple pages back originally.
Guys, don't disregard a character or series just because of a different one or based on personal bias or preference. Like this is Smash Bros. of all things, we receive a mix of fan support characters and Sakurai's personal picks all the time.
Especially given the last iteration was Smash 4, you guys need to obviously stop acting like slots are a thing in this game.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with debating chances with one character. However, one isn't ever really in direct competition of another unless they're possibly from the same series.
Base the individual character off it's own merits and the circumstances surrounding it.

Now arguing popularity of a series, I will say sales data across a wide array of territories is a good way to compare.

There's a movie, a manga, and a novel. There's also a Hollywood adaption that pops up every few years.

Tecmo can explain it's feelings:
"...as Koei Tecmo we believe this is one of our valuable IPs"

It's Nintendo's only horror franchise (Eternal Darkness is only one game), it's the Bayonetta deal years before Bayonetta (Nintendo steps in for previously non-Nintendo franchise and makes it Nintendo exclusive), it's one of the only notable Wii U games

The camera based combat is half of the gameplay and it's not something with any close equivalent in it's competitors. It's not anything like shooting a gun. It's reactive, not proactive. It's incredibly timing sensitive rather than aim sensitive. It also causes extreme perspective shifts, which is unique.
I will definitely say I'm down for a Fatal Frame character to make it into Smash Bros. as they could lead to an eccentric and unique moveset. Especially since they would represent the horror genre, which is pretty non-existent in Smash outside of Metroid and Castlevania's horror themed elements.
If not, I'd love for it to get some type of representation through an AT or something like it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The Direct was going to be delayed no matter what content was in it. Obviously. Suggesting the only reason it was delayed was because of something in it is silly. People are possibly scared, or hurt, or (god let's hope not) dead because of this disaster. It is absolutely no time to talk about video games!

However. There is a possibility that after this disaster, certain reveals or anouncements (for any game) might be altered or removed for another time.

It is impossible to know for certain but I know that it is common for Japan remove certain things that might seem insensitive, out of respect. It would be a very wise thing to do considering recent events.

If that is the case we will still inevitably see those removed things at some point. They aren't going to cancel any games or cut characters because of this disaster, but waiting for a better time to show them would be smart.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Is it possible to request that going forward we not post fake leaks in this thread? A bunch of assholes are going to try to capitalize on this now, acting like they saw the Direct themselves. We don't need to give them attention, it's in very bad taste.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I find it great everyone is showing sympathy for the people in Japan now. I have friends and family in Japan.

But, how many people noticed that the Earthquake happened 13 hours ago?

Did people only notice when the direct was cancelled?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just in case anyone is interested, I use this website to keep track of weather and earthquakes in Japan.

https://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/

I find it great everyone is showing sympathy for the people in Japan now. I have friends and family in Japan.

Probably. My family just sent me a message asking if I was ok.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
wow its actually been delayed, i hope everything is alright in japan.

earthquakes are fairly common place in japan but for it to delay the direct im assuming it must be really bad there =(

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I mean most of us don't live in Japan and people like me rarely watch the news so it's not really a surprise.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Pretty sure that was the first Earthquake. I'm positive that the Hokkaido Earthquake is the 2nd one to hit Japan today.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
My concern is how much damage has been caused. Any news? I'm kind of in the dark but I would like to know if everyone is alright. This is scary stuff.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
My goodness... dearly praying things will be end up alright there. This series of disasters has been pretty damn grave on major parts of Japan since September's start.

I think we all could use a break a bit with this as to allow ourselves simmer down a bit - I highly believe we won't be seeing a Direct announced back on air for the rest of the week.

EDIT: Gotcha covered Koopaul Koopaul .

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

earthquakes are fairly common place in japan but for it to delay the direct im assuming it must be really bad there =(
I'd imagine that it's not just because of one earthquake. This is the 2nd Earthquake to hit Japan today and combined with the fact that they had one of the strongest typhoons is just really too much for such a short amount of time. Japan just had one disaster after another this week.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
i guess on the bright side is that for how strong the earthquake was the causality count is low and according to reports there shouldnt be a tsunami caused by the quake either

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I woke up, only to find that Nintendo Direct has been delayed...

Ugh, I wasted my time for nothing else...This sucks, guess I will have to go now.

D

Deleted member

There have been huge personalities like Conan O'Brien and others sending support to Japan during this time.
https://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/1036792592476725248

The problem really lies down to media outlets that don't cover these stories like they did back in 2011, so not as much people don't know about what's going on in Japan at the current moment, but there we're at least a handful who knew before the Direct was delayed.

Not to mention, all of this stuff is happening at rapid fast pace, so really we all can't catch a break, unfortunately. The only recent news to come out is that the trade minister of Japan says that it'll take a week to restore electricity to Hokkaido.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Dear lord. I hope there aren't anymore disasters after this point. Atleast not for a very long time. So much at once.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Since the initial earthquake around 3 am, there’s been about 40 earthquakes in hokkaido and around Japan till now. Kumamoto had an series of earthquake in 2016. Series would be watering it down. It was like over 200 of them or so and lasted from April to like...April 2017. My wife’s family would clean the house and then Boom! another level 5 earthquake would happen.

They are scary.

The link Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom provided shows 4PM JST

https://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/

I know for a fact there was one about 13 hours ago as well since I heard about it on the Radio on my lunch break.
The biggest one was at 3 am. They have had aftershocks the entire day ranging from level 2 to 5.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I woke up, only to find that Nintendo Direct has been delayed...

Ugh, I wasted my time for nothing else...This sucks, guess I will have to go now.
Mate, I'm probably the most unhappy about the situation but...

Even I think you're just being an asshole.

People's lives are at stake here.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
That's very inappropriate to say. I understand that it may have ruined your plans, but it comes off as disrespectful
I'm just in bad mood because I was looking forward to that. But I guess it's alright. Can't disrespect the peoples there. And it shows the kindness of Nintendo.

I just hope the direct will start sooner than next week, but I will wait for anything else.

But, strangely, the Japanese direct stream still seems to be up, even after English Nintendo has removed the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom