• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I woke up, only to find that Nintendo Direct has been delayed...

Ugh, I wasted my time for nothing else...This sucks, guess I will have to go now.
Really stupid for you to say at a time like this. Have some respect for those who lost a loved one during this difficult time. I just got off work to discover this incident that caused the Direct to be delayed and I’m not even complaining about it. Nintendo recognized that the country needs to focus on lives and video games annnoucements can wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
It's going to be weird seeing the pic of the day, knowing that they probably didn't intend for whatever the pics are to go up at that time.

Thankfully, they somehow still have a ton of items and ATs they can fall back on from the 8.8 presentation.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
If I could put my hands into my monitor and slap the **** out of you, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Really stupid for you to say at a time like this. Have some respect for those who lost a loved one during this difficult time. I just got off work to discover this incident that caused the Direct to be delayed and I’m not even complaining about it. Nintendo recognized that the country needs to focus on lives and video games annnoucements can wait.
Hey, don't be rude yourself. I was rude, yes, but slapping me is also insensitive. I was just in bad mood, but that was before I checked the reason/the twitter. Now I'm fine with it. I hope the peoples in Japan are alright. I just wish it will come sooner than next week, but I can wait and live with it.

Can we just get over that, please? Don't be such an rude guy now, Crash.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
On the bright side, the delay means there will be less of a wait in the long term for new info.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
While nothing major has happened here in Tokyo, it's very unfortunate as to what has happened in Japan, as a whole, recently. While some may say Joe Merrick is grasping at straws, I disagree to an extant. (Full disclosure, Joe Merrick is a good friend of mine who I worked with extensively when I was working with Pokémon.) As he has said, the Pokémon community has seen delays and even outright cancelations of Pokémon episodes and events due to then-recent events. As another friend, Skulshurtugal points out, examples include a skipped Advanced Generation episode and skipped Black and White episodes. Major weather and seismic events have occured before streams before, not affecting their schedule. I can understand his perspective for believing that something in the stream would be seen as insensitive if viewed now.

The important thing is not the delay of the stream or if something present in the stream caused its delay – it's the people of Hokkaido who are affected by the recent earthquake who are important. While I can understand disappointment in the delay, let's be careful not to come across as an entitled community, and instead show support for those affected here in Japan. I'm certain whatever we see in the end will be full of great content that we, as Nintendo fans, can all enjoy. Until then, let's be positive on the future of both Nintendo and of Japan. This is a wonderful community, so let's show our support.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I am curious how things will proceed from here. My gut tells me they'll have the Direct ready next week because there's a lot of info that's time sensitive, I'm sure... but what to do with Smash? This likely disrupts the schedule for the blog.

Perhaps the Smash trailer will go up an in isolated presentation like the Robin/Lucina one.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I am curious how things will proceed from here. My gut tells me they'll have the Direct ready next week because there's a lot of info that's time sensitive, I'm sure... but what to do with Smash? This likely disrupts the schedule for the blog.

Perhaps the Smash trailer will go up an in isolated presentation like the Robin/Lucina one.
It might be quite possible it's delayed due to the Isaac trailer being insensitive, since he can also use that skill.

But, I don't think anyone has said that...

Is this delay the first delay/time in Nintendo Direct's history? I have never seen an delay before.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My friend that teaches in Japan. I can't remember where he lives there.

But I don't think it's near Hokkaido

All I remember is he said it's kind of rural and the people there aren't use to seeing "gaijin"

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That was uncalled for. You can express disagreement to someone without attacking them.

Shroob

Sup?

I really doubt it. They'll probably just pull up a few weeks in advance schedule up and delay the new stuff.

Considering we get upwards of 3 veterans a week, and still have a ton of ATs/Items to show off from 8.8, they can stretch this out for a long time, probably all the way into October if they absolutely had to.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I feel bad for the Hokkaido ppeople.. It's okay that they delayed the Direct I guess.

However, I'm hoping Nintendo is not making mistakes and spoiling major things on their website / YouTube / etc. by uploading things by accident.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Hope that the people are alright. Japan is such a place. Sad to hear news like this.

Maybe ninty is editing the direct to erase any reference to disasters

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I feel bad for the Hokkaido ppeople.. It's okay that they delayed the Direct I guess.

However, I'm hoping Nintendo is not making mistakes and spoiling major things on their website / YouTube / etc. by uploading things by accident.
Actually, despite Nintendo English taking down the English Direct, the Japanese Direct video still seems to be up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnAQ5UFdpNw
I know it has been delayed, but could they be already announcing a new date?

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
They're going to have problems keeping this Direct un-leaked. Amazon and other retailers probably already know what was going to be shown in the Direct (mainly new games and launch dates). The Smash Bros. Ultimate web, if it was going to be changed because of a newcomer, is going to be completely rescheduled too. I don't know but some of the content may be revealed earlier because of those type of things.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Today’s children’s program is this...

AFEA62A8-A96D-411A-9751-B6791EA450E2.jpeg

Video game controllers and buttons

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
They're going to have problems keeping this Direct un-leaked. Amazon and other retailers probably already know what was going to be shown in the Direct (mainly new games and launch dates). The Smash Bros. Ultimate web, if it was going to be changed because of a newcomer, is going to be completely rescheduled too. I don't know but some of the content may be revealed earlier because of those type of things.
If it's delayed by a whole week I think there's a high chance it will be

Last edited:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Can we not attack each other. (small minority)
There is going to be confusion within some people who got excited for the direct and then found it was delayed.

Staarih

Smash Master

Yeah, I hope everyone involved in the Direct is on board with the delay. I don't know how things work behind the scenes, but some developers might have scheduled announcements of their own to coincide with the Direct, or some games go up for pre-orders or whatever, so I'm hoping no info will be leaked before the Direct actually airs.

But anyway, the well-being of the people affected by the earthquake should definitely be the priority at this time and if things don't go quite as planned with the Direct, it's circumstantial and so be it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Tomorrow's going to be a big test for the PotD.

I don't doubt that Sakurai's team will make an emergency change to whatever was going to be shown off....

But at the same time, we had Castlevania leak in the most asinine ways.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo has a stranglehold on these merchants and their own websites, though. The only time really has a merchant store leaked anything in recent memory was the time during Bethesda's E3 event where Walmart leaked game announcements. Nintendo, on the other hand, only has placeholders; but after this announcement, there's no doubt they are gonna have the tightest grips on everyone to keep their lip shut so that they can figure out a more respectable time-frame for Japan.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

I don't doubt that Sakurai's team will make an emergency change to whatever was going to be shown off....

It'll just be the fighter of the day and nothing else.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Initially I was surprised we even got a Direct this early into month, I was expecting it next week, but suddenly even that seems so far away now lol, waking up to this news will make an already rough day just that bit more difficult to get through. At the end of the day anyone's dwindling patience is far from the most important thing at a time like this though, and should they feel the need to delay it even further than next week then they should do that, Japan seriously needs a break from all this stuff.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I have a feeling a few people are going to take advantage of the situation and claim that they have seen the direct and post about it.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I remember my dad talking about Sapporo so I wonder if I had family in Hokkaido. Even if I did, I wouldn't know them and couldn't contact them.

I think the more closely related member of my family actually live in Hawaii right now though

But I know my grandpa used to take yearly trips to visit Japan

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I don't imagine it'd be too tough to change the update, but if they scrapped it altogether people would understand.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Well, that sucks to hear. I was really looking forward to this Direct, but all that matters now are lives and well-beings so I can wait. Hope for the best.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Can we not attack each other. (small minority)
There is going to be confusion within some people who got excited for the direct and then found it was delayed.
You're right, Greninja. I was sad, but then CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592 misread my post and thought I was swearing at Nintendo for delaying, when actually I was just slightly in bad mood and in sadness.

But I do want to say that this probably is the first time in history that an direct was delayed.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
Or, y'know, maybe it's because Japan is having what practically is a repeat of 2011 after a massive heatwave, two earthquakes and a typhoon? Maybe they delayed it, y'know, out of respect?

It really doesn't matter what contents are in the Direct, we know that Japan is always careful about what they show. Serebii has been right in the past, but this is a bit of grasping straws.
Probably a combination of both to be honest.

There have been times when Directs have aired shortly following disasters globally that have been like this. The decision would not have been taken lightly due to so many embargoes, releases etc. being timed with it.

Hopefully all in Hokkaido are going to do well :) That's what matters most of all

Last edited:

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon

There have been times when Directs have aired shortly following disasters globally that have been like this. The decision would not have been taken lightly due to so many embargoes, releases etc. being timed with it.

Hopefully all in Hokkaido are going to do well :) That's what matters most of all
Agreed; the people of Hokkaido should be the focal point of the discussion. We will get the Nintendo Direct when we get it. That said, I have no doubt it will be soon as there is most likely time-sensitive material in it. We're in desperate need of information on the Nintendo online service, which launches very soon.

Also, hi Joe. Hope to see you here in Tokyo soon!

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
The Direct will be aired next week? Friday? I feel like the information about some games and the Nintendo Online Service... needs to be put out reaaally soon.

Shroob

Sup?

The man, the myth, the legend, the site that still looks the same as when my little sister was born 14 years ago(Thanks for that btw, it makes me NOT feel old).

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796

Hey there, Celebi-kun!! I can see you're in forums for 10 years now, but you don't post this much. Seems like you're busy.

Anyways, I saw you tweet that the delay is probably due to inappropriate things in Direct, which may have contained earthquake references. Is that true? If so, do you think it could be time for Isaac to come in?
I also noticed that despite the English Direct being taken down, the Japanese direct is still up...Haven't you noticed? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnAQ5UFdpNw Did you know about this?

Last thing: I'd like to PM you regarding something else...

D

Deleted member

Right, and sorry if I came off a bit abrasive. Been seeing some people on my timeline saying that this is just strictly the reason for the delay and none else, which urks me a lot since I have a lot of colleagues over there.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

Keep in mind the Earthquake happened... 13 hours prior to the announcement of the delay? I assume that many parties involved with the Direct were contacted and informed before the Direct was publicly delayed. Sakurai has already probably set plans in motion to change the Smash blog posts for however long will be necessary.

EDIT: Also, holy ****, Joe Merrick has a Smashboards account? Today I learned. Hi Serebii Serebii ! Big fan!

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You're right, Greninja. I was sad, but then CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592 misread my post and thought I was swearing at Nintendo for delaying, when actually I was just slightly in bad mood and in sadness.

But I do want to say that this probably is the first time in history that an direct was delayed.
Misread your post? You shouldn’t have even posted it in the first place before people go and call you out on it

That was uncalled for. You can express disagreement to someone without attacking them.
Excuse me? I’m going to discuss this with you via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom