• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It's a real shame this.

I know it's really minor in comparison to the tragedy happening in Japan, but this direct was at a REALLY convenient time for and delay will probably push it into a very inconvenient time, if it's the same, I could probably catch it live before heading out to an internship and if it's the same day, then it's possible I'll have day off. But it was really good this week.

Stupid Earthquake. I do hope the people are OK.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think he meant only expect one unique newcomer. A lot of people were expecting 2 again.
Somehow I was expecting the two newcomers and 3 echoes again after I called it lol

But I'm not gonna get my hopes so high this time around because I want to be surprised.

Assuming the character trailer was an offending item (Isaac's PSY Earthquake powers or even Skull Kid's), this delay could be a while. They can't just swap out the reveal trailer for another one as that would contradict the fighter order in the actual game (which is of course in reveal order).
This is a very solid argument and it would ruin the purpose of the # order. I do question that if Isaac gets revealed, will they not show his PSY Earthquake move to avoid pulling any triggers from the earthquake that just happened? I think it's possible they are gonna redo the trailer for Isaac and make it appropriate for his reveal

Perhaps other games will have a cut/delay of trailers or gameplay due to the unfortunate events that occurred.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Agreed. Just because that item was delayed to that Thursday of next week rather than being scheduled for today doesn't mean that the Nintendo Direct is moved to that date.

Of course it sucks that the direct is delayed, it's natural to feel that when your really hyped for it...however lives are indeed more important than video games, that should go without saying. The video games can wait, those poor souls in Japan need all the support they can get right now. My thoughts go out to all those effected by this horrifying disaster.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
That's my point. They're unlikely to cut Smash content (due to how big it is), and they can't swap it out, so it could be weeks before we get this direct - assuming the Smash trailer is "too soon", as it were.
No my point is Smash won't have anything insensitive in it. Unless the character trailer shows off a disaster of some sort (which I doubt) Smash will not delay the Direct or be cut from it. The only things cut would be games where the subject matter is a disaster. Like The Wonderful 101. Or a remake of Disaster Day of Crisis or something. Either way, we will know if the Direct has changed if it is less than the proposed time that they were saying. Around 35 minutes.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I guess while we wait for the date we can talk about something else

like our feelings

argh
I was going to post something fun from the Isaac thread that I wrote last night; I was going to do it last night but the thread was moving way too fast and I didn't want it getting lost in the rapids.

Shroob

Sup?
No my point is Smash won't have anything insensitive in it. Unless the character trailer shows off a disaster of some sort (which I doubt) Smash will not delay the Direct or be cut from it. The only things cut will be games where the subject matter is a disaster. Like The Wonderful 101. Or a remake of Disaster Day of Crisis or something.
I dunno about that.

If Isaac is shown to make a substantial enough of an Earthquake in his CGI trailer, it could set off some flags like that one banned episode of Pokemon involving a Wishcash.

Same with Skull Kid and his most-likely apocalyptic trailer involving the Moon if I had to guess.

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Living in a teutonic dead zone that considers four inches of snow a national crisis, I can’t even begin to imagine what those people must be going though... :(

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the delay is more about logistical issues (electric problems, roads closed) than sensibility, but it's OK too, it can seems strange if they continue as nothing happened. Maybe both, so I don't mind about some days more for videogames. But, just imagine, talking about online services, if there was planned something like "you can try this new feature just after the direct", there's a lot of things than can go wrong.
And yeah, probably some leaks could appear, there were things planned and distributed for sure.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No my point is Smash won't have anything insensitive in it. Unless the character trailer shows off a disaster of some sort (which I doubt) Smash will not delay the Direct or be cut from it. The only things cut will be games where the subject matter is a disaster. Like The Wonderful 101. Or a remake of Disaster Day of Crisis or something.
Hypothetically speaking, of course, a trailer in which Isaac demonstrates an ability to shake and rip up terrain, weaponize chunks of land and generally earthbend would, understandably, not go over terribly well at the moment.

Shroob

Sup?
Hypothetically speaking, of course, a trailer in which Isaac demonstrates an ability to shake and rip up terrain, weaponize chunks of land and generally earthbend would, understandably, not go over terribly well at the moment.
And then of course if it's Skull Kid...

Yeah, him crashing the Moon in a firey explosion of death and destruction would be in just as much poor taste.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I dunno about that.

If Isaac is shown to make a substantial enough of an Earthquake in his CGI trailer, it could set off some flags like that one banned episode of Pokemon involving a Wishcash.

Same with Skull Kid and his most-likely apocalyptic trailer involving the Moon if I had to guess.
That Wshcash episode wasn't canceled because Wishcash used the move Earthquake, it was canceled because Wishcash was causing literal earthquakes that affected the area. That was the plot of the episode. I doubt simply using an earth-based move will cause offense. You guys are overthinking this.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And then of course if it's Skull Kid...

Yeah, him crashing the Moon in a firey explosion of death and destruction would be in just as much poor taste.
I guess. I feel like that's already the gist of like half the FSs, though.

Shroob

Sup?
That Wshcash episode wasn't canceled because Wishcash used the move Earthquake, it was canceled because Wishash was causing literal earthquakes that affected the area. I doubt simply using an earthquake-like move will cause offense. You guys are overthinking this.
Using a move? Yeah, that's fine.

But CGI trailers are always overblown to show a character at 100% of their strength.

If Isaac caused a literal quake in the trailer with like, characters losing their footing and parts of the earth cracking open or jutting out in pillars, that'd be in pretty bad taste. And god help us if one of the ways someone dies is falling into a chasm in said trailer.

Last edited:

Maskedali

Smash Rookie
Every month the Salmon Run gear is changed as a part of the content update. If the new gear is now scheduled to appear in Salmon Run starting next Thursday, that is a fair indication that at least some tentative plan is being made for the content that was scheduled to appear today to appear on or by Thursday, whether via direct or otherwise. While it doesn't confirm that this is the case, it may be a clue in the right direction.

Splatoon is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises now, and it is by far the one most dependent on timing and such, being an almost exclusively online multiplayer game. I do not think it would be too strange if its programming reflected the stirrings of a plan yet to be publicly announced, especially given how close the announcement was to the direct date in the first place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Smash is part of the offender, they could just cut the reveal trailers out and release them ala Robin and Lucina at a later date, no?
They could, but then it would take a LOT of steam out of the Direct and it would only really end in more of a ****storm. How I see it, they are going to stick to their guns as usual and continue to explain the Online Service, reveal which ever newcomer for Smash in the Direct no matter what and still roll with their plans, with possibly a slight edit or two maybe.

Unfortunately they can't simply go over to Digital Frontier and ask to quickly whip up another trailer or revision either, because these trailers shell out a lot of money, not to mention at this point all of the trailers for all the newcomers are already commissioned and probably finished.
We also have to remember that we don't know what newcomer they were gonna reveal in the first place. Incineroar, Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, we could take a wild guess at these likely four, but we don't know the specifics and sadly can't get as much of an answer as we'd like.

Really we can only go off of what insiders in Japan might have and Nintendo themselves. I feel they're gonna get out of this bind fine, though; public opinion overall is 100% positive and sending wishes in response to the decision.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If Isaac caused a literal quake in the trailer with like, characters losing their footing and parts of the earth cracking open or jutting out in pillars, that'd be in pretty bad taste. And god help us if one of the ways someone dies is falling into a chasm in said trailer.
Well sure. But the chances of that are low. Is that something Isaac is commonly known for?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Well sure. But the chances of that are low. Is that something Isaac is commonly known for?
Depends if they want to play up his strength.

The trailers always paint the character as 'epic', so if they wanted to make Isaac come off as this amazing Earth-bender, there's a million things they could do.

Of course, we haven't seen the trailer, if there is one, so we just don't know.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Every month the Salmon Run gear is changed as a part of the content update. If the new gear is now scheduled to appear in Salmon Run starting next Thursday, that is a fair indication that at least some tentative plan is being made for the content that was scheduled to appear today to appear on Thursday, whether via direct or otherwise. While it doesn't confirm that this is the case, it may be a clue in the right direction.

Splatoon is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises now, and it is by far the one most dependent on timing and such, being an almost exclusively online multiplayer game. I do not think it would be too strange if its programming reflected the stirrings of a plan yet to be publicly announced, especially given how close the announcement was to the direct date in the first place.
I know what you are trying to say.

But, just because a gear was moved to that day doesn't always mean that the direct is scheduled to start in that same day. We could have a Direct, before that gear release. This is how I feel.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Seems weird that Splatoon2 of all things would know when the Direct would be delayed to when Nintendo themselves haven't said anything officially yet.
Huh...? Splatoon 2 is a Nintendo game. The update was scheduled for the direct date. Now it's scheduled for next Thursday. Just because Nintendo hasn't told the public anything yet, doesn't mean they haven't already got a date.

Shroob

Sup?
It's both awful and ironic that such a horrible disaster has all of a sudden turned all our minds towards Isaac being the reveal.

I've never played a Golden Sun game I admit, but I'd still want him.... but if he is in, this is a very awkward situation for him. Like, it couldn't be a worse time.

Shroob

Sup?
Earthbending and disaster level earthquakes are different though.
There's also potentially what some of the visuals in the Direct might entail.

While normally a humorous scene, seeing a character getting crushed under a rock that big with only their hand/tail/whatever sticking out maaaaaay not be a very good look right now.

I remember back when there was a mud slide near where I lived that killed several people. The people on the scene said they saw limbs sticking out of the mud.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Well, technically, yeah, but it's not exactly the kind of imagery that one wants to see after an earth-based tragedy.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Either way. I doubt this Isaac stuff is true. It's far more likely a particular game will be cut from the Direct.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Earthbending and disaster level earthquakes are different though.
Literally the first offensive psynergy (elemental attack) Isaac learns is called Quake. The second (usually), Earthquake.

But yeah, it's only a theory. One of many.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't think content is any issue.

It's the sheer fact that Nintendo's home country had a massive earthquake and nothing more.

It's just being sensitive to the plight of their nation.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I do feel that Nintendo's decision to delay is the right one as lives are far more the top priority at this point. I really do hope everyone within the Hokkaido area of Japan are safe and my thoughts and feeling are with families and friends who had been affected by the earthquake.

I've been browsing through a variety of boards and what I do not condone are immature users who think that a Direct is more important than the situation going on in Hokkaido such as the one user (which I am not going to name) posted within Nintendo UK's Facebook comments which really makes me angry.

Here is his comment (situated at the bottom) unless he is trolling:

"No! I'll never get what I want! Shame on you Nintendo, you bunch of cowards! You're wasting everyone's time!"

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't think content is any issue.

It's the sheer fact that Nintendo's home country had a massive earthquake and nothing more.

It's just being sensitive to the plight of their nation.
Oh yes absolutely. My first post on the matter is that this was delayed due to the disaster affecting Japan, and not because of the content of the Direct. But I also pondered how the Direct might change once it is shown.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
That Wshcash episode wasn't canceled because Wishcash used the move Earthquake, it was canceled because Wishcash was causing literal earthquakes that affected the area. That was the plot of the episode. I doubt simply using an earth-based move will cause offense. You guys are overthinking this.
To be fair, the move Earthquake hasn't been used since that episode, despite how common it is in the games.

Maskedali

Smash Rookie
I know what you are trying to say.

But, just because a gear was moved to that day doesn't always mean that the direct is scheduled to start in that same day. We could have a Direct, before that gear release. This is how I feel.
That is true, and I've edited my post to reflect that. However, hoping for an announcement that soon is likely counterproductive, especially since we don't even know if the Splatoon info is truly indicative of Nintendo's plans for revealing the information scheduled for today. It may even be that some parts of the direct are removed and announced separately.
We can speculate endlessly, but the fact of the matter is that we don't know, nor can we know until Nintendo tells us. A tragedy has befallen many and whether the direct has been delayed for the sake of inappropriate content or otherwise, all there is to do now is to wait patiently and to care for the afflicted in any way we can. If Nintendo is being sensitive towards this, as they should, we can do the same through patience and understanding.

Shroob

Sup?
I do feel that Nintendo's decision to delay is the right one as lives are far more the top priority at this point. I really do hope everyone within the Hokkaido area of Japan are safe and my thoughts and feeling are with families and friends who had been affected by the earthquake.

I've been browsing through a variety of boards and what I do not condone are immature users who think that a Direct is more important than the situation going on in Hokkaido such as the one user (which I am not going to name) posted within Nintendo UK's Facebook comments which really makes me angry.

Here is his comment (situated at the bottom) unless he is trolling:

"No! I'll never get what I want! Shame on you Nintendo, you bunch of cowards! You're wasting everyone's time!"
>Facebook in 2018

Well, there's your issue. There's a lot of **** people on Facebook if you actually go looking for them.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Just woke up to see the terrible news, my sincere condolences for those affected by this disaster.

Shroob

Sup?
Of course, this is also assuming that Isaac was even going to be shown off at all, when most of the 'leakers' were pointing towards Skull Kid(Though a few WERE also pointing in Isaac's direction).

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Joe has been a member of this board for ages and often lurks. That's why you don't say anything bad about people behind their backs ;)

Edit: oops, didn't realise I was two pages behind.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
Havent seen you post here since the brawl days, wish it was under better circumstances.

Agreed the people of Hokkaido are whats important right now.
Tried to stay out of Smash talk because people often read too much into what I say :p

Plus some people inverted how I was with Brawl which is hilarious

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom