• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I heard Japan is going through some crap right now

Is it possible that is more concerning then getting on twitter to retweet something?
Tokyoite here. Kyoto took a direct hit from the most recent typhoon, which is currently believed to have been the most powerful in 25 years to hit the region. I’m unaware of any major damage to Nintendo HQ, however.

Earlier today, Hokkaido was hit with a decent sized earthquake, causing mudslides and power loss. However, it’s entirely limited to the island itself.

Tokyo has managed to completely avoid damage this week. Though, support and aid is being exported to both the Kyoto and Hokkaido areas. Bandai Namco is holding up here as well.

The natural disasters are unfortunate, and my heart is with those affected. That said, Japan will press on as she always does.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Speaking of demos, the Best Buy demos last until Oct 7. I wouldn't expect a downloadable demo until that's over.
Maybe they will, since it would be way less than 30 characters(that would be insane for a home console demo), but I imagine anyone would prefer a demo with less content over a demo with 300 ft lines.

Point being: Best Buy demos would lose traction with a home demo released in the middle of it. The effort to set it up might feel disproportionate if it ended being overshadowed like that.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Well, it's fine! I love Intendo.
It's much more "in" than "Outendo" ever was.

And we're not even talking about "Pretendo", which didn't even exist in the first place. And don't get me started on "Innuendo"...

EDIT: I'll let myself out...

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Do we know what build the Best Buy demos are? If not, then I’m assuming it’ll hopefully be a recent one with the August 8th characters, and a newcomer from tomorrow (if we get one)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking about Nintendo Direct tomorrow, well, technically today since it’s past midnight here... anyway, I hope they will announce Dragon Quest XI for Switch. My boyfriend knows I’m a big fan of Dragon Quest and when we were browsing around in GameStop yesterday, he saw the PS4 version and asked if I wanted it, I told him I wanted the Switch version.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was thinking about Nintendo Direct tomorrow, well, technically today since it’s past midnight here... anyway, I hope they will announce Dragon Quest XI for Switch. My boyfriend knows I’m a big fan of Dragon Quest and when we were browsing around in GameStop yesterday, he saw the PS4 version and asked if I wanted it, I told him I wanted the Switch version.
DQ11 is already confirmed for Switch. There's going to be a huge delay though, so really it's a matter of time.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What's with the stigma against the Other M design? I get that the game it came from wasn't well received, but the design itself is cool. In my opinion, it's way better than the clunky, oversized Prime design.
I think the game nailed the powersuit design. Except for the fact that the Gravity suit... wasn't really a suit.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
DQ11 is already confirmed for Switch. There's going to be a huge delay though, so really it's a matter of time.
Yeah, I’m hoping Nintendo Direct will announce a launch date for Dragon Quest XI for Switch.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Well, it's fine! I love Intendo.
All puns are completely intendo’d.

On a side note, their rival Nontendo gets to revel in now having the name with more letters. :p When will Nontendo appear in a game again? I love how meta that was that “Nontendo” was a thing in a Nintendo game

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I prefer the old Super Nintendo Varia suit
Mmm.
Yeah, I can see why. It's just kind of plain to me now. I do have nostalgia for it but comparing that to these:
It feels like Super Metroid's design is, well obviously, dated. Now if we really want to talk about the best Varia suit design.
Goddamn. Just god-goddamn Samus Returns suit is so ****ing good.

Edit: Oh yay the site is on fire. Might have to quote me to see the pics.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mmm.
Yeah, I can see why. It's just kind of plain to me now. I do have nostalgia for it but comparing that to these:
It feels like Super Metroid's design is, well obviously, dated. Now if we really want to talk about the best Varia suit design.
Goddamn. Just god-goddamn Samus Returns suit is so ****ing good.

Edit: Oh yay the site is on fire. Might have to quote me to see the pics.
I just mean in comparison to Other M. I still like the Super Nitnendo version better

The Samus returns one looks like an updated version of the old suit and it probably the best option

Enchess

Smash Lord
I just mean in comparison to Other M. I still like the Super Nitnendo version better

The Samus returns one looks like an updated version of the old suit and it probably the best option
Yeah, definitely.

It's reminds me of the Star Wars vs Star Trek debate from an asthetic standpoint (Super being SW, OM being ST).

I'm not too fond of ultra-sleek vision of future tech. I prefer that gritty, clunky look. Star Wars > Star Trek and Super Metroid suit > Other M suit

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Nintendo's youtube channel briefly had 2 songs posted and removed again.

Apparently one was titled the temple of pandora

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yeah, definitely.

It's reminds me of the Star Wars vs Star Trek debate from an asthetic standpoint (Super being SW, OM being ST).

I'm not too fond of ultra-sleek vision of future tech. I prefer that gritty, clunky look. Star Wars > Star Trek and Super Metroid suit > Other M suit
Well I AM a Star Trek guy, so...

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies

?? Where'd this come from?

also i doubt this would happen again after the mishap with the castlevania song. o'll be amazed if it does.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Yeah, uh, can I get an extra order of Honey Barbecue SAUCE.

Please, all of you, SOURCE YOUR STATEMENTS.

Thank you for listening to my TED Talk.

LetterO

Smash Lord
The anime is the only thing that has ever affected Pokemon representation in Smash.
That’s blatantly false. Greninja was chosen due to his concept art alone. Sun and Moon wasn’t even revealed when Ultimate was finalized, so I heavily doubt the anime had any affect on which Pokemon Sakurai chose.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

.... God of War?
I honestly would be a little upset if Kratos got in before Scorpion.

Enchess

Smash Lord
The anime is the only thing that has ever affected Pokemon representation in Smash.
Pretty sure :ultpokemontrainer: was picked for the games. The starters may be iconic in the anime as well, but I think they were solely a game-based move.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That’s blatantly false. Greninja was chosen due to his concept art alone. Sun and Moon wasn’t even revealed when Ultimate was finalized, so I heavily doubt the anime had any affect on which Pokemon Sakurai chose.
Greninja was chosen (among options given). The Pokemon Company will not promote a character that is not going to be a cash cow.

Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front.

For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward.
Greninja was not some happenstance. It's marketing. Research and development done over time, with attention from the company as to who they want to promote. You think TPC would chance their big Pokemon money on something random? Don't be foolish. Greninja was primed from launch to be the starter of choice. Notice how his hidden ability makes him one of the top competitive fighters of that generation. Notice the design and how it appealed to so many people. Notice the fact that we dont have a Pokemon character that wasnt large in the anime.

EDIT: If anyone has the second article where TPC comments on Pokemon inclusion in Smash, please link me, as I cannot find.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Y'know, with Verge's recent news of "another Square Enix rep", I wouldn't be surprised if we did get Geno tomorrow along with a "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Square Enix" theme.

Just a thought.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Greninja was chosen (among options given). The Pokemon Company will not promote a character that is not going to be a cash cow.
But what affected Greninja’s choice as a playable character to Sakurai was his concept art and moveset potential. Nothing involving the anime. The choices he has are probably who’s gonna be marketed, but Sakurai chose the playable character due to moveset potential

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Ignore this. Delete this.
This post means nothing to me now.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
To be fair, Incineroar is kinda the most pushed Pokémon along wuth Lycanroc, isn't he? Decidueye ain't got ****

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
To be fair, Incineroar is kinda the most pushed Pokémon along wuth Lycanroc, isn't he? Decidueye ain't got ****
Lycanroc is pushed as Ash's ace. I think Incineroar is pushed in a different way as he's really popular too, and Decidueye doesn't hold a candle to its earlier evolution's popularity.

Either way you had all 3, now mostly 2 fanbases barking at eachother what is evidence for what and why their Pokemon is more likely yadayada. Even though it wouldn't be as exciting, I kinda want a Pokemon newcomer to be revealed so this topic isn't brought up anymore lol.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I didn't mean harm by it. The topic seemed to be "anime popularity and pushing from the company" to which it seemed Incineroar really fit.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Y'know, with Verge's recent news of "another Square Enix rep", I wouldn't be surprised if we did get Geno tomorrow along with a "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Square Enix" theme.

Just a thought.
I don't think Geno would be considered a "Square-Enix Character" even if he really is though. He'll probably have a big deal made out of him but he'll still probably just be another Mario character.

That sounds degrading a bit. I don't mean it like that. I mean, I think Sakurai knows that the fans will understand how big of a deal Geno is without going for a whole Smash × SE marketing sprint.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The anime usually influences Pokemon choices. Greninja was not one of those cases. Incineroar could slightly be another case like Jigglypuff, but a key factor is that it might not much matter. It is clearly meant to be promoted as Ash's Pokemon, but that won't do it alone for Sakurai. He still needs to see the character "dance".

Pokemon Trainer is an interesting case. Charizard and Blastoise were the only known choices Sakurai went for, and changed Blastoise to Squirtle for balance/making it easier to imagine a moveset. Last one was Ivysaur. Choosing Red's design wasn't as simple as "Red is iconic" alone. Red is actually less known than Ash due to the anime having a significant worldwide influence. Some still think it's Ash, not Red's design. Yes, I've seen it before. Now why it is so interesting? Because it coincidentally matches Ash's Pokemon too. Charizard and Squirtle are severely popular in the anime as well. And Bulbasaur was the only one who nearly evolved, making the Ivysaur thing kind of funny. But in reality, no, it wasn't an anime pick. The only thing of note otherwise is Pokemon Trainer is not treated like he's Ash in Smash itself in any way and is just another generic trainer. He's only compared to Ash and friends at best. But this was intentional because to fit the general idea of how the Pokemon games work, you always chose your name. So Pokemon Trainer was intended to be a representation of the Class, not the actual original protagonist character. Leaf's design doesn't change this either, as it's the same point. All their costumes reference other protagonist options, so people have even more choices. And it's pretty cool he went that route instead of the silly idea that it has to be a "specific character". Villager is another example of the generic class idea, with the only thing of note is that Villager isn't based upon a particular canon character design-wise instead. Well, story-wise, if you will(as AC has no real story).

Chrono.

They seem to be, thought right now it looks like Lycanroc is the one getting pushed harder.

That said, the I Choose You movie used both Incineroar and Midnight Lycanroc quite prominently. The only other Alolan Pokemon in that movie that got a spotlight was Marshadow. So there's definitely been at least some attempt to push Incineroar and once Ash gets his, it'll be even more apparent.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I didn't mean harm by it. The topic seemed to be "anime popularity and pushing from the company" to which it seemed Incineroar really fit.
Yea. Both seem pushed and popular, but what I always keep in mind is this game's project plan happened way before the anime aired, and even then, the anime didn't immediately give Ash a Lycanroc. So I don't think the anime pushing specific Pokemon is as important this time around as before. If there is a new Pokemon I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai was given several choices by the Pokemon staff from what they thought would end up popular and he chose who he believed fit in Smash the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom