• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it is Isaac and Skull Kid tomorrow, who would be left for speculation?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Well, I’ll be darned. Looks like we’re getting a direct this week after all. I don’t expect much in terms of Smash. Just one newcomer reveal is likely. Two with one of them being an echo seems better off for a Smash centered direct but we’ll see.

As for my expectations; an overview of the paid online service. A little more info on the Let’s Go games. A few third party games get revealed (hopefully Spyro is one of them), Prime 4 info, maybe Yoshi’s Flipping Island info, and finally a Smash reveal and another Smash direct announcement.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
“If you’re an Assist Trophy, you’re there for life” and “Little Mac is the sole exception”

Dark Samus proves otherwise

Into the trash this goes, then
The guys an anti-leaker

The stuff he says is the opposite of what happens

That's why the people in the comment section are excited

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Direct Prediction: The direct starts off for a newcomer - Tiki Dragon Ups! She's a unique character but plays similarly to Charizard and Ridley.

Partway through the direct, we get a look at two new echo fighters; Celica and the Black Knight. Celica doesn't use tomes, but she takes damage when she uses magic attacks. The Black Knight's neutral B is surrounded by wind rather then fire and creates a shockwave when fully charged.

Nearing the end of the direct, we finally see some Three Houses gameplay. At the end of it, we get another surprise Smash trailer - Edelgarde gives blame!
Gameplay is shown of her fighting various playable FE characters, also revealing that she borrows a lot of moves from Marth and Ike. Then, suddenly, Soren shows up and tries to attack her from behind with his brand new Levin Dagger.

Every Fire Emblem Character is Here!

A rapid fire character montage shows off every FE character to ever exist, and they're all Marth echos. The evil sorcerer Garnef? The deadly assassin Jaffar? The mighty conqueror Walhart? They're all Marth. Anything to pad out the roster.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
“If you’re an Assist Trophy, you’re there for life” and “Little Mac is the sole exception”

Dark Samus proves otherwise

Into the trash this goes, then
This guy's shtick is being wrong. When he says something won't happen, it does.

I'm not going to say he's more than just very unlucky though. But if he is, omitting Dark Samus would play into his persona.

Shroob

Sup?
What are the ****ing odds if that one 'leak' ends up being ****ing real?

First that game goes live on the PS Store, now a Direct on the day it claimed.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So looking at it realistically, we shouldn't expect much from this Direct.

Smash is going to sell, yes. We all know that. Regardless of whether Geno or Skull Kid or the freaking Wii Vitality Sensor are announced as characters, it's going to sell. What Nintendo needs to do-- and has seemed to tell investors that they will do-- is sell more Switches to people who aren't buying Smash Bros. Remember that their stock took a huge dive after E3 due to what seemed to be a lack of appeal for 2018. And Nintendo announced that they had more still to announce for the fiscal year.

Now it's three months later, and there are only three months left in 2018. And they've only shown indies and more Smash details. The tweet that announced the direct specifies "upcoming 3DS and Switch games", so this is clearly a direct geared towards a wider range of Nintendo products, likely to be coming out soon.

I expect a single newcomer revealed, one that somehow correlates with one of the games being shown. For example (not a prediction, just an example), a proper No More Heroes trailer with a release date, followed by the Smash reveal of Travis Touchdown. Echoes could possibly be squeezed in, too, but I don't think Nintendo wants to steal the spotlight from their other releases with tons of Smash news.

In short: No Spirits mode, one newcomer, maybe some echoes, lots of games coming out before Christmas, new trailers for games we already know exist (MP4, Bayo3, FE:3H, No More Heroes, etc.). Then we'll get our final Smash-centric direct in late October or November.

fortun8

Smash Cadet
Post your impossible dreams for tomorrow:
i guess i could respond to this too!
- a genuine surprise fighter that people won't be too upset about
- an echo fighter that hopefully won't have people say "what's the point?"
- more details on FE3H
- closer look at what the new Online will be like
- my beautiful boy, henry

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Skull Kid is playable do you think this could be his idle/walking animation

I don't see why not, assuming most of his attacks won't be punches/kicks. It would add to his cocky/overpowered feel and I'd love him even more.
It's a possibility, after all Sakurai loves focusing on unique quirks like these, but I do think it's more likely to be a taunt and/or a victory pose. He would likely still be very animated in general though, even in his idle animation he'd constantly be doing something as that captures the chaotic nature of the character very well. Something like the little motion he does here:

would be very natural for him, as we see him jitter like that in other cutscenes aswell.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Post your impossible dreams for tomorrow:

-Virtual Console with Gamecube, Wii and the rest, with complete access to every game as long as you're subscribed to the Online service (a la Xbox Game Pass)
-Pikmin 4 reveal
-Metroid Prime 4 gameplay
-Metroid Prime Trilogy port
-New StarFox and F-Zero games
-Mainline Pokemon game gameplay reveal
-NDS Virtual Console
-My gal Shantae announced for Smash
- Nintendo Online service to begin with NES and SNES titles, with N64 and Gamecube later down the road--Netflix style, but titles never go out of rotation.
- NSMB port is a LIE, and we're getting Super Mario 3D World port this year, with a sequel next year.
- Mario Maker 2, now with SLOPES, Super Mario Bros 2 style, desert/snow/forest/beach themes, FROG SUIT, Yoshi and Goomba's shoes in all styles.
- Sonic Generations announced for Switch (with PC/3DS and new levels), Sonic Adventures 1+2 remade, Sonic Adventure 3 (16 characters, story-based).
- Spyro: Reignited Trilogy for the Switch, new Crash game announcement.
- Only 151 Pokemon were a lie, Johto post-game in Lets Go with gen 2 Pokemon, wild encounters are back in, can transfer to Gen 8 game.
- Banjo & Kazooie announced for Smash alongside N64 classic with Rare titles--only way I'd ever buy a classic console (or amiibo for that matter).

So, none of that will be in the Direct, of course. (*fingers crossed for B&K still*)

Also, I'd prefer N64 games with Rare titles on the Switch's online service. I was trying to be realistic, though ;)

I actually would love BWD don't worry. He should be on this list like the rest of them.

Relevant:

At least one of these is getting out tmrw. I feel it XD
Forget a Pokemon this time around, make all 5 of these characters unique fighters to round out the base roster! All the never-evers should be in this time around.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Sorry Moydow, your identity is valid, but your taste in games is not.

Permabanned (487) points, arrested for Smashboards crimes
My taste in games is one thing, but I think my taste in fine art is perfectly valid. Your feeble mind just can't appreciate the genius design decisions behind something like getting players to draw their own maps as they play.

You also make the mistake of thinking the law enforcement around here is fair and unbiased. Hmm, I wonder which account those 487 points will actually end up on.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright! Direct time!

I hope we get some Pokemon news tomorrow so I can finally decide if i'll buy Let's Go Pikachu or not.
I also hope my baby boy Incineroar gets revealed so I can add another main to my sig.

I expect Incineroar maybe, it could also be Skull Kid or Isaac.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
So looking at it realistically, we shouldn't expect much from this Direct.

Smash is going to sell, yes. We all know that. Regardless of whether Geno or Skull Kid or the freaking Wii Vitality Sensor are announced as characters, it's going to sell. What Nintendo needs to do-- and has seemed to tell investors that they will do-- is sell more Switches to people who aren't buying Smash Bros. Remember that their stock took a huge dive after E3 due to what seemed to be a lack of appeal for 2018. And Nintendo announced that they had more still to announce for the fiscal year.

Now it's three months later, and there are only three months left in 2018. And they've only shown indies and more Smash details. The tweet that announced the direct specifies "upcoming 3DS and Switch games", so this is clearly a direct geared towards a wider range of Nintendo products, likely to be coming out soon.

I expect a single newcomer revealed, one that somehow correlates with one of the games being shown. For example (not a prediction, just an example), a proper No More Heroes trailer with a release date, followed by the Smash reveal of Travis Touchdown. Echoes could possibly be squeezed in, too, but I don't think Nintendo wants to steal the spotlight from their other releases with tons of Smash news.

In short: No Spirits mode, one newcomer, maybe some echoes, lots of games coming out before Christmas, new trailers for games we already know exist (MP4, Bayo3, FE:3H, No More Heroes, etc.). Then we'll get our final Smash-centric direct in late October or November.
This is a very safe bet. Me personally, I'm hoping that Smash gets an online segment too as it is the big game they're pushing for this year. But I can easily see the only thing Smash related we'll get is a character reveal. Also Wii Vitality Sensor would objectively be the best newcomer in Smash, period. You cannot change my mind.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That would make sense. Nintendo had an increase on Indies recently, Travis Strikes Again focuses on indie-inspired games, Suda has expressed the desire to have Travis in Smash, and NMH has mostly remained on Nintendo consoles.

Besides, the guy would be ecstatic at the idea of being alongside various video game characters worth their salt.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
What is the leak everyone is talking about?
It was a leak posted here on Smashboards that was ridiculously detailed, saying there'd be a Direct on the 6th and that a new FF game would be coming to the Switch.

The reason people started believing it was because said game almost instantly went up on the PS Store after the leak happened, but the reason we discredited it was due to one of the things it mentioned literally being "Gullible".

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
This is a very safe bet. Me personally, I'm hoping that Smash gets an online segment too as it is the big game they're pushing for this year. But I can easily see the only thing Smash related we'll get is a character reveal. Also Wii Vitality Sensor would objectively be the best newcomer in Smash, period. You cannot change my mind.
You know, I kind of forgot about the online service. It's a 35 minute direct. They'll definitely use Smash details to push their service, along with Mario Kart and Splatoon.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Why do you say such cruel things to me?
Have I wronged you?
Is this revenge for something i've done?
To make room for the never-evers so that none of the characters are "expected". But we can add a Pokemon if 6 unique newcomers are left. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
It was a leak posted here on Smashboards that was ridiculously detailed, saying there'd be a Direct on the 6th and that a new FF game would be coming to the Switch.

The reason people started believing it was because said game almost instantly went up on the PS Store after the leak happened, but the reason we discredited it was due to one of the things it mentioned literally being "Gullible".
Do you have the post? I'm interested in it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Bowser, Ridley, and K. Rool were all altered to fit the character size limits so...
Those are all VERY different things and you know it.

Changing Isabelle's limbs would be like make Sonic, pink, or Pac Man, green.

She was introduced and has the longer limbs which means if she's an echo OR unique. She'd have the longer limbs from New Leaf as that's her iconic design.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To make room for the never-evers so that none of the characters are "expected". But we can add a Pokemon if 6 unique newcomers are left. :upsidedown:
There's such thing as Pokemon no one expects.

That's why we're getting Shuckle as an echo fighter of Stunfisk.

Potato_

Smash Lord
i dunno, never heard of this guy.

But it's been going around. Along with that skull kid thing.
Don't believe there's any. Also, he did a similar thing where the day before the Nindies direct he said no Shantae, and well, he was right.

Personally I feel like he's just the world's worst guesser.

Also, don't know if this was posted or not but Vergeben has commented. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76969540/908155339

He says the one source that told him about the direct being tomorrow says the Smashboards leak isn't true.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I just want Star Fox Grand Prix to be real.
Same, though I'd be happy for a new Star Fox game in general.

This Grand Prix game, if the 'leaks' describing it are accurate, can make for a game that's perfect for Switch. Just kinda hope it's more of a spin-off title, rather than the official route for the series moving forward. Though I think racing would be fun, its not the future I quite have in mind for Star Fox. But in the end, if it sells real well and gets Star Fox back on its feet, I won't complain.

If it is real, I hope there's a good selection of pilots to play as. The Star Fox universe has so many great characters who'd be fun to play as again. Star Fox, Star Wolf, Bill, Katt, etc. Although there's two characters in particular I hope aren't forgotten about: Krystal and Panther. Both are great characters that add to the franchise, and I'd hate to see them be left behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom