• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
How many people are planning on stacking echoes and how many are planning and having them separated? I’m definitely having them separate because they each feel like their own character and I want to make the roster look as big as possible.
It depends. I would LOVE it if we could individually chose who to stack. There are certain characters that I'd like to stack.

I'm assuming that won't be the case though, so I'll probably just leave them unstacked. It'll probably be an all or nothing thing.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I know that leakers don't know everything. But, what I'm saying is by this point one of the two could have said a word about him.
I do think there is actually a chance Shadow misses the base game roster. So if that's the case I don't think it's too outside of a possibility. If Echo Fighter DLC happens, that's probably when Shadow's practically assured. There would be people willing to buy Shadow even if he's just an echo.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I do think there is actually a chance Shadow misses the base game roster. So if that's the case I don't think it's too outside of a possibility. If Echo Fighter DLC happens, that's probably when Shadow's practically assured. There would be people willing to buy Shadow even if he's just an echo.
I suppose you do have a point. Sorry for the inconvenience. I am tired at the moment, so tired I could fall.....Gamefaqs's Smash Ultimate Board has been crazy lately...

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
How many people are planning on stacking echoes and how many are planning and having them separated? I’m definitely having them separate because they each feel like their own character and I want to make the roster look as big as possible.
Definitely unstacked. I want to see each echo as their own character, even if they're Dark Pit. Plus, most of the echoes so far are really good additions.
We listing most wanted again?

Sure
Ooh, I love having another exxuse to list mine.

Dovahkiin
Tails
Urbosa
Twili Midna as a Zelda echo
Skull Kid
Ivy or Nightmare (Soul Calibur)

...but really, all I need is the Dragonborn. Give me Dovahkiin and Tails and I'll be in heaven.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Incineroar - Eh, he seems interesting but I'm not big into gen 7 and would prefer something more unique.
Ken - Love it for the historical significance. Ken is the original echo.
Isabelle - Couldn't care less, but it would make a lot of people happy.
Geno - Last of the big 3. Practically essential.
Isaac - Sort of like Geno Jr. Less requested and less essential, but would be a huge moment. Could have a fun moveset.
Monster Hunter - Would be interesting, but Rathalos is in and he's honestly not that big of a face. I doubt he'll get in over fan requests.
Lloyd Irving - Sounds like perfect assist trophy material.
Dixie Kong - Would be an awesome echo. Really rounds out the DK series.
Impa - No brainer echo, plus the zelda series needs more echoes. Plus she justifies Sheik's existence. She's an actual reason to have that moveset in smash.
Skull Kid - Need more zelda characters, MM was iconic, and his moveset would be fun.
Black Shadow - Couldn't care less.
Bandana Waddle Dee - Makes a ton of sense, plus an interesting fighting style. PLEASE.
Ninten - I could dig it, but they look really similar.
Diskun - Don't care.
Raiden - Don't care.
Big Boss - Could be an interesting echo, but there are better ones.
Shadow - Makes a ton of sense. Love the idea.
Elma - I really really want her. XCX is one of my favorite games and she'd be fun to play.
Rex and Pyra - Same as above but even more so. ****, I wish I didn't lose the case for that game. I really want to finish it.
Jeanne - Eh. Couldn't care less.
Spring Man - Sounds like a ton of fun.
Wonder Red - I didn't really like his game, ngl.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Individuals who don't separate all of them are the worst people.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
So here's a little game.

Disregard how likely you think the characters are.

Tell us how interested or satisfied you'd be with the character if included.
Warning, honest opinions ahead.

Incineroar - I mean it makes sense, so yeah I'd be fine with it. Tapu Koko would be my ideal choice tho.
Ken - Again, it makes sense. I don't really care either way.
Isabelle - I used to be against this, but it's whatever now. I would prefer an original moveset to echo though.
Geno - Would complete the ultimate fan service for this game. Ridley / K Rool / Geno have always been THE big 3.
Isaac - Might be controversial, but I'd be alright if he didn't make it. I want him in, but I would understand otherwise.
Monster Hunter - I personally think this would be super cool, but not entirely necessary.
Lloyd Irving - Impartial. Never played a Tales game. Wouldn't care either way.
Dixie Kong - They really should. She deserves a spot. Echo or not. Echo is more likely, but it still should happen.
Impa - PLEASE. I'll take an echo at this point, I don't care.
Skull Kid - I support this, but I'm not DYING to see it, nor do I believe it's a guaranteed lock like some people do.
Black Shadow - Eh. I don't really care either way.
Bandana Waddle Dee - Super super supportive of this, I think he's almost required to complete the roster at this point.
Ninten - First one so far I DON'T want to see. He's just irrelevant now and wouldn't bring anything to the table.
Diskun - wtf why. No this would just be a pointless throwback. Sorry fans of this thing.
Raiden - Eh it'd be cool, but it'd be weird to add non-echoes of 3rd party repped series.
Big Boss - Just pointless.
Shadow - Sure, but I'm really not a Sonic fan so I don't care.
Elma - Sure, we need more Xenoblade reps. Rex/Pyra is the priority though.
Rex and Pyra - More deserving than Elma, and almost inevitable to be here eventually.
Jeanne - No thanks. Please don't add more Bayo's to this game.
Spring Man - Eh I'm good, just because Nintendo has a new IP, it doesn't mean it has to be included in smash bros.
Wonder Red - One game. Why are people so supportive of him? I'm genuinely curious.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Depends on which tickles my aesthetic bone more.
If we get no sorting by series option though, deeeeeefinitely stack em.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Man, who even ARE my most wanted at this point? So many of my "most wanteds" have been confirmed!

Rayman
Elma
Karate Joe
Erdrick
Spring Man
Tails
Ryu Hayabusa
Geno
Banjo-Kazooie
Isaac
While I have some in my signature, I could perhaps expand on mine.

Banjo & Kazooie I consider my most needed. I know that sounds bad, as it's even worse if they're not in, but with every veteran returning, B&K are the only ones I find "missing". They would have certainly been in Melee if the buy out hadn't been going on, being Nintendo icons with two critically praised and financially successful games. Their popularity in the ballot as well as Spencer's tweet in 2015, the same period the design plans were being worked on, makes it seem like everything's lining up nicely. Of course, everything can align nicely and still not work out. That's a strong possibility.

Other than that, everything else is just a plus. My most wanted after B&K would be Crash, as those two are the last characters I've played as a kid that have any chance at being in Smash. That's what's so great about Ultimate--so many characters are in, it's hard to think of anybody else that I would want. And both B&K and Crash are platforming characters with moves that are Smash-ready.

The other series I like is Sonic--I think Shadow's likely. I'd love Tails and Robotnik. Blaze is a dark horse Sonic character, as she would be a way better Sonic with fire abilities, as well as having more female representation. Both Rayman and Bomberman are gaming icons/mascots that would work well in Smash. Since Bomberman's out, I'd like Rayman, but I'm less familiar with his games. Dixie would be a nice addition, echo or unique (probably echo as K Rool is in).

Other than that, most characters I want I'm much less familiar with. I'd love some Persona representation, as I played 3, watched Giant Bomb's full endurance run of 4, and am disappointed I'll probably never get to play 5. I feel like there's so many possibilities, and I like Joker aesthetically (perhaps with Jack Frost thrown in?). I enjoyed a little bit of Devil May Cry, so it'd be nice to have Dante, but more so for my friend. And Sora, because outside of Banjo & Kazooie, there's not that many possible partnerships that would be as ground-breaking. However, I'm less familiar with these series, so I'm really reaching as so many characters that I love are already in the game. It's nearly impossible for me to think of any more first party characters that I would want. It's why this game really feels ultimate.

That's a good point, and I do understand where you're coming from. We are all human and make mistakes, that's definitely the truth.

On the internet, writing is primary way to express your ideas. We might not have the full story when it comes to every person on the internet, so I know we shouldn't be quick to judge or anything. I can also agree that if a leaker has been right about certain things, then we should at least give them some attention. Writing isn't the only thing I look for when it comes to credibility, but it can be a useful indicator.
Completely agreed. And I want to clarify that I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you (I roll my eyes whenever I see an obvious error), but more expanding on my feelings on the subject, as it's a very nuanced issue.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I’ll have to try both, I kinda like the idea of the stacked format making it more organized, though, especially as that means the echoes won’t get in the way of the “sorted by Smash introduction” layout if that’s the only option (I don’t have anything against echoes, but I do like it being organized neatly.)

Pakky

Smash Hero
Okay, so I don't make comments on the icon list too often because I like to keep and develop a professional attitude.

However, one request leads me to something I had never heard of, that being Temtem.

Now being a young adult I've had my fill of Monster Battle Sims, Digimon, Monster Rancher, Amazing Island, Graffiti Kingdom, parts of Dragon Quest 8, but here's the thing all of those had their own identity sperate from Pokemon. This if anything reminds me of Neopets, by that I mean things are just generic with no personality of their own.

That being said the team is talented, its just a shame all this talent is going to waste on something that has no real chance in the genre that its pursuing because it offers nothing new.

Maybe I'm being harsh but I don't get it.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Right now, I'd say I'm going to stack the echoes. It'll organize the roster for me in a visually appealing way.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
You're going to some event or it will be public released and I'm not aware ?
10 participating Best Buy’s in the U.S. will have a Smash Ultimate demo available to play for the public at specific times from September 8 to October 7.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
'Reset the Clock' is what he is saying. But he is just joking.
No, it means Sans got into the game...
bruh you ever just take random words and think it's secret code
I mean they’re literally saying that in the tweet thread but ok
Well whatever it is, it better be soon, and fast, a general Direct is needed for the Switch online feature.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._still_dont_know_enough_about_nintendo_online

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Okay, so I don't make comments on the icon list too often because I like to keep and develop a professional attitude.

However, one request leads me to something I had never heard of, that being Temtem.

Now being a young adult I've had my fill of Monster Battle Sims, Digimon, Monster Rancher, Amazing Island, Graffiti Kingdom, parts of Dragon Quest 8, but here's the thing all of those had their own identity sperate from Pokemon. This if anything reminds me of Neopets, by that I mean things are just generic with no personality of their own.

That being said the team is talented, its just a shame all this talent is going to waste on something that has no real chance in the genre that its pursuing because it offers nothing new.

Fossil fighters offered something that was different to Pokemon but ruined it in the third of the series by shifting to super casual trying to appeal to a broader audience

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
10 participating Best Buy’s in the U.S. will have a Smash Ultimate demo available to play for the public at specific times from September 8 to October 7.
Cool. Unfornately there's no Best Buy's in Brazil, but it's nice that a lot of people will have the chance to explore the game. Maybe it's a new demo. I remember there was playing the Smash4 demo in stores that rage effect and a lot of other stuff where kind of hinted/discovered pre-Smash4.
I really wanna see Meta Knight, K.Rool and Simon.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
So here's a little game.
Disregard how likely you think the characters are.
Tell us how interested or satisfied you'd be with the character if included.
Incineroar - 7/10. Not convinced we need another Pokémon with all the returning veterans, but this would be my favorite Gen VII option.
Ken - 5/10. Makes perfect sense, no personal investment.
Isabelle - 2/10. I get the appeal as a character, but I'd have to be convinced she could work as an echo or a unique fighter.
Geno - 10/10. Never been on the Geno train before, but with the other two massive longtime request characters in, and having recently played SMRPG, he's both the one I expect and hope to see the most out of characters with any chance.
Isaac - 5/10. Happy for the fans, no personal investment.
Monster Hunter - 1/10; no opinion or experience.
Lloyd Irving - 1/10; no opinion or experience.
Dixie Kong - 3/10 if as an echo, 5/10 or maybe more if her own slot.
Impa - 3/10; no opinion or experience.
Skull Kid - 5/10; no opinion or experience. I don't recall ever having seen him brought up before in Smash speculation, but that's probably due to his early disconfirmation in 4.
Black Shadow - 5/10; would be nice to have a similar take on Falcon's moveset that doesn't draw the ire of fans of a completely different series for misrepresentation.
Bandana Waddle Dee - 9/10. Any representation from Kirby games from Return to Dream Land onward is massively welcome, in my opinion, and I'm already a fan of his moveset. Just put the Spear whole moveset right in there and I'd be happy.
Ninten - 2/10. Even as a diehard EB Beginnings fan, I don't see him as being at all necessary or relevant. That said, if they redesigned him to have the shirt and neckerchief from the commercial design, 9/10 just for canonically differentiating him visually from Ness.
Diskun - 1/10; no opinion (have no idea about the source material for what its moveset would be).
Raiden - 1/10; no opinion or experience.
Big Boss - 1/10; no opinion or experience.
Shadow - 4/10. Makes decent sense, but not sure he'd be all that necessary.
Rhythm Heaven rep (since that's conspicuously absent) - 3/10. Fan of the series, but would have to be convinced anything would make a fitting and cohesive moveset. Would love to see Assist/stage/music representation, though.
The rest - No opinion or experience.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have another ideal, rate people’s most wanted and then post your own for people to rate. Just don’t be a jerk to them ok.
My most-wanted characters (if I finally get them, I will never ask Sakurai for anything ever again)
  • Dixie Kong or Dixie & Kiddy
  • Meowth + Alolan Meowth (Echo) or Team Rocket (Meowth, Arbok, Weezing)
  • Toad or Captain Toad + Toadette (Echo)

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I don't understand.
A few people have mentioned that "reset the clock" is an old reference for when a Nintendo direct gets announced.

But this thread is being retweeted and commented on by people with high reputations as leakers, like NateDrake and Joe from Serebii.

They're saying a direct is coming soon, possibly as early as later this week.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
While I have some in my signature, I could perhaps expand on mine.

Banjo & Kazooie I consider my most needed. I know that sounds bad, as it's even worse if they're not in, but with every veteran returning, B&K are the only ones I find "missing". They would have certainly been in Melee if the buy out hadn't been going on, being Nintendo icons with two critically praised and financially successful games. Their popularity in the ballot as well as Spencer's tweet in 2015, the same period the design plans were being worked on, makes it seem like everything's lining up nicely. Of course, everything can align nicely and still not work out. That's a strong possibility.

Other than that, everything else is just a plus. My most wanted after B&K would be Crash, as those two are the last characters I've played as a kid that have any chance at being in Smash. That's what's so great about Ultimate--so many characters are in, it's hard to think of anybody else that I would want. And both B&K and Crash are platforming characters with moves that are Smash-ready.

The other series I like is Sonic--I think Shadow's likely. I'd love Tails and Robotnik. Blaze is a dark horse Sonic character, as she would be a way better Sonic with fire abilities, as well as having more female representation. Both Rayman and Bomberman are gaming icons/mascots that would work well in Smash. Since Bomberman's out, I'd like Rayman, but I'm less familiar with his games. Dixie would be a nice addition, echo or unique (probably echo as K Rool is in).

Other than that, most characters I want I'm much less familiar with. I'd love some Persona representation, as I played 3, watched Giant Bomb's full endurance run of 4, and am disappointed I'll probably never get to play 5. I feel like there's so many possibilities, and I like Joker aesthetically (perhaps with Jack Frost thrown in?). I enjoyed a little bit of Devil May Cry, so it'd be nice to have Dante, but more so for my friend. And Sora, because outside of Banjo & Kazooie, there's not that many possible partnerships that would be as ground-breaking. However, I'm less familiar with these series, so I'm really reaching as so many characters that I love are already in the game. It's nearly impossible for me to think of any more first party characters that I would want. It's why this game really feels ultimate.

Completely agreed. And I want to clarify that I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you (I roll my eyes whenever I see an obvious error), but more expanding on my feelings on the subject, as it's a very nuanced issue.
It’s weird to think that one of the original 12 could have been left out entirely for Banjo. My guess would be the Puff. Or someone from melee.

D

Deleted member

Well whatever it is, it better be soon, and fast, a general Direct is needed for the Switch online feature.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._still_dont_know_enough_about_nintendo_online
I'm really 50/50 about a Direct. The odds seem good, but there is every possibility that we're all reading into things.

With the online slated to launch at the second half of the month, I kinda feel like if a Direct is happening, it's gotta be this week or next week. Otherwise, my 50/50 stance will probably go down to 30/70. That's just me, though. For all I know, the online is launching September 31st at 11:59 P.M. five minutes after a Direct. :p

Potato_

Smash Lord
You'd think with

We'd get clearer leaks
I think any image leaks at all are basically too unlikely to even consider. You're telling me Nintendo/whatever company you work for didn't catch you taking a damn screenshot, or even a photo on your phone? ESPECIALLY with what happened with Smash 4?

The only leaks I can see being legitimate are text ones, and those are so easy to make that the only time we'll know one of them is legitimate is when we know the information already and can look back on them (like what happened with the E3 and Bloody Tears stuff.)

PF9

Smash Lord
Here's a breakdown of all the "realistic series" characters confirmed so far for Ultimate (the term having been coined in the second All-Star Match in Melee)

Old World Fantasy Characters
Legend of Zelda
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Sheik
Toon Link
Young Link

Fire Emblem
Marth
Lucina (Marth Echo)
Roy
Chrom (Roy Echo)
Ike
Robin
Corrin

Kid Icarus
Pit
Dark Pit (Pit Echo)
Palutena

Science Fiction Characters
Star Fox
Fox
Falco
Wolf

F-Zero
Captain Falcon

Xenoblade Chronicles
Shulk

Metroid
Samus
Dark Samus (Samus Echo)
Ridley
Zero Suit Samus

This of course counts only Nintendo characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Doesn’t the Joy Con camera save images to the Switch, though...? So they’d know if anyone was trying to leak something

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Separate, probably saves time explaining to casual friends the difference between echo fighters, clones/semi-clones, and characters like Alph and the Koopalings...

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

There is one big advantage to playing a game that’s Almost Pokemon, which is that, for a longtime Pokémon fan, it really is the only way to relive the experience of going into the game and discovering monsters you didn’t know about. Seriously, like, if you’re a person like me who pays a lot of attention to Pokémon news and leaks, there isn’t any surprise in Pokémon games anymore in terms of the species you find, so this is the kind of thing that lets you have that again. IDK if I’m interested personally though but that’s the biggest positive I can think of.

(In Neopets’ defense, the site encourages you to determine your own pets’ personality rather than the site providing it to you; more generic poses means more room for interpretation.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom