• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Rhythm Heaven rep (since that's conspicuously absent) - 3/10. Fan of the series, but would have to be convinced anything would make a fitting and cohesive moveset. Would love to see Assist/stage/music representation, though.
Is the fact that a RH character was planned for Smash 4 and most likely had work done, as well as Chorus Kids being the only character alongside Chrom (who was confirmed to be scrapped for Robin, and is now back) that the Gematsu leak got wrong convincing enough?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Doesn’t the Joy Con camera save images to the Switch, though...? So they’d know if anyone was trying to leak something
I plan to get a Switch before Ultimate, and I want to know if there's anything about the camera I should know. Is there anything interesting?

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
A few people have mentioned that "reset the clock" is an old reference for when a Nintendo direct gets announced.

But this thread is being retweeted and commented on by people with high reputations as leakers, like NateDrake and Joe from Serebii.

They're saying a direct is coming soon, possibly as early as later this week.
Uhh... remember when I joked about a direct happening on my birthday?

I think the Nintendo Ninjas may be after me

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Okay, so I don't make comments on the icon list too often because I like to keep and develop a professional attitude.

However, one request leads me to something I had never heard of, that being Temtem.

Now being a young adult I've had my fill of Monster Battle Sims, Digimon, Monster Rancher, Amazing Island, Graffiti Kingdom, parts of Dragon Quest 8, but here's the thing all of those had their own identity sperate from Pokemon. This if anything reminds me of Neopets, by that I mean things are just generic with no personality of their own.

That being said the team is talented, its just a shame all this talent is going to waste on something that has no real chance in the genre that its pursuing because it offers nothing new.

Maybe I'm being harsh but I don't get it.
I've also seen that, My biggest problem isn't the lack of identity (I don't have a problem with it being derivative), but that I found their creature designs pretty weak. Couldn't even find enough i liked for a full team. That Platypus at the end of that video, is Imo a stronger design than most of their originall ones.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Is the fact that a RH character was planned for Smash 4 and most likely had work done, as well as Chorus Kids being the only character alongside Chrom (who was confirmed to be scrapped for Robin, and is now back) that the Gematsu leak got wrong convincing enough?
I'm saying that I like the series, but without having a concrete moveset to visualize, I do not anticipate a RH character being something I'd gel with or see as having been the best way to represent the series. I definitely don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility.

For instance, I'd love playing on a WarioWare-esque stage with rhythm-based minigames, and that wouldn't require me to like any particular moveset; I thought the Sneaky Spirit was a clever way to reference the series in Smash Run, and so forth.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno supporters have been speculating a Mario themed direct since data concerning sunshine has been found in Mario Odyssey. And someone has said the mushroom icon appears on the music section of the smash site. Though I haven't seen proof. Also the possibility of SNES games appearing on Switch and rumor that some Square games are coming.

Maybe Geno reveal?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I plan to get a Switch before Ultimate, and I want to know if there's anything about the camera I should know. Is there anything interesting?
If you’re referring to the capture button (which is on the Pro Controller too,) it saves a screenshot when you press it, or, in some games (mostly some first party games,) it can save a 30 second video clip. You can post these to social media from the Switch itself.

If you’re referring to the IR camera on the Joycon R, it’s a pretty low quality night vision camera, and you can’t even view what it sees without a copy of one of the Labo games as far as I know, ahaha...

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Geno supporters have been speculating a Mario themed direct since data concerning sunshine has been found in Mario Odyssey. And someone has said the mushroom icon appears on the music section of the smash site. Though I haven't seen proof. Also the possibility of SNES games appearing on Switch and rumor that some Square games are coming.

Maybe Geno reveal?
Would be really cool tbh. Could be Verg's other SE character

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Oooh I’m finding it hard to ignore all the RH rep slander in this thread right now :upsidedown:

Iridium

Smash Hero
If you’re referring to the capture button (which is on the Pro Controller too,) it saves a screenshot when you press it, or, in some games (mostly some first party games,) it can save a 30 second video clip. You can post these to social media from the Switch itself.

If you’re referring to the IR camera on the Joycon R, it’s a pretty low quality night vision camera, and you can’t even view what it sees without a copy of one of the Labo games as far as I know, ahaha...
Yeah, I was wondering about the capture button. The other one is news to me. I do wonder how replays will work now knowing that.

For example, how many replays did Brawl allow, and 4?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
A few people have mentioned that "reset the clock" is an old reference for when a Nintendo direct gets announced.

But this thread is being retweeted and commented on by people with high reputations as leakers, like NateDrake and Joe from Serebii.

Alright, excuse me if I'm being really dumb here, but I just checked Serebii's and Joe's twitters and I can't see any retweets or answers about that in the recent days. Am I missing something?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just hope the supposed Direct is announced tomorrow for Wednesday as the rest of my week is jam packed.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'm saying that I like the series, but without having a concrete moveset to visualize, I do not anticipate a RH character being something I'd gel with or see as having been the best way to represent the series. I definitely don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility.

For instance, I'd love playing on a WarioWare-esque stage with rhythm-based minigames, and that wouldn't require me to like any particular moveset; I thought the Sneaky Spirit was a clever way to reference the series in Smash Run, and so forth.
I’d assume if data for a RH character was in the game, then Sakurai and his team found a way and had a moveset for Chorus Kids.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
So here's a little game.

Disregard how likely you think the characters are.

Tell us how interested or satisfied you'd be with the character if included.
I am gonna play a similar game to Swamp Sensei 's too, only with different newcomers that people do not bring up as often. Disregard likelihood for this game too. How interested/satisfied you would be if this newcomer was included:
Thoughts if these characters make the cut?
Isaac: 5/5: one of my biggest wants.
Bandana Waddle Dee: 4/5. I'm a kirby fan and he would be cool and unique.
Skull Kid: 4/5 Cool, Doesn't like the fairy moves in HW, so hopefully he don't have those.
Decidueye: 4/5. The gen 7 Pokemon choice I personally want.
Porky Minch: 3/5. Big mech sounds cool, Otherwise Meh.
Mach Rider: 3/5. Could be cool.
Spring Man: 3/5. He's Cool, hopefully have Ribbon Girl Echo.
Incineroar, Gardevoir: 3/5 Not my favorite pokemon choice but has cool potential.
Elma: 3/5. Cool Design and potential.
Chorus Kids: 3/5. Sounds Fun.
Kat & Ana: 2.5/5. Want them more than Ashley
Lip, Prince Sable, Excitebiker, Mike Jones, King Boo, Paper Mario: 2.5/5. Ok, all of them are fine choices, doesn't really care one way or another
Hades and : 1/5. No.
Lycanroc: 1/5. meh, would rather have Incineroar
Cranky Kong: 1/5. preferably not.
Rex and Pyra: 1/5. Doesn't like Pyra's design
Wonder Red, Ayumi Tachibana, King Hippo, Mona, Saki Amamiya: 1/5. No Interest
Balloon Fighter, Phosphora, Sylux: 0/5. No Thanks
Karate Joe: 1/5 Just feels like a boring choice
Mini-Kangaroo: 0/5. Asssist would be cool tho.
Hanafuda: 0/5. Don't want character, but a stage would be 5/5
Diskun: 0/5. Sorry, Hard no from me.

(Potencial) Echoes/Clones
Impa: 4/5 (echo) and 5/5: if unique, I'm a pretty big Zelda fan.
Isabelle: 4/5 (Echo or not) Nice, She cute and I find her preferable to other Animal Crossing Character.
K.K. Slider & Mr. Resetti 0/5: Don't want these, not even as Echo.​
Medusa: 3/5 (Echo or not). Cool With a female Villain.
Dixie Kong: 3/5. OK.
Ken, Black Shadow, Ninten, Big Boss, Raiden, Shadow, Octoling, Black Knight: 3/5 cool if Echoes, if unique 1/5, would be disappointed.
Jeanne, Glass Joe, Metal Sonic: 2/5. want these noticable less than the other echoes. 0/5 if Unique.​
Toon Zelda: 0/5: doesn't bring anything to the table, and couldn't be an echo. Zelda is bad enough without needed to be balanced against an alternative version.

Third Party
Agumon: 5/5. Would be cool.
Nightmare: 5/5. Hell Yes. Nightmare has awesome design
Frogger: 4/5 as long as he doesn't look likea generic frog.
Banjo-Kazooie: 3/5. Was part of my childhood but doesn't care that much.
Ryu Hayabasa: 3/5 Cool Enough
Leon Kennedy and Jill Valentine: 2/5. not my favorites. Nemesis on the other hand would be 5/5.
Shantae: 2/5. Ok
Dante: 2/5. Featuring Dante from Devil May Cry.
Monster Hunter and Professor Layton: 2/5 Meh.
Heihachi: 2/5. Also meh.
Geno: 1/5: Don't want him, but at least his fanbase is happy.
Lloyd Irving: 1/5 Have no Connection to him, would much rather have some other Namco Bandai character.
Amaterasu, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman: 1/5. Meh
Sora: 1/5. I Have no interest in Kingdom Hearts
Saber Artoria: 0/5. Who?

Last edited:

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Is it unpopular to like Karate Joe over the Chorus Men?
I feel the chorus kids are lot more popular due to gematsu, and tbh I think they’re more interesting than a karate man

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I'm going back to school this week, so I hope there's a Direct to give me something interesting to look forward to.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So here's a little game.

Disregard how likely you think the characters are.

Tell us how interested or satisfied you'd be with the character if included.
Incineroar - Pretty satisfied. Incineroar is the best Pokémon choice by far, and I'd love seeing a wrestling-based fighter in Smash
Ken - Satisfied enough. Dude's the OG P2, so it fits.
Isabelle - Satisfied. Isabelle has a lot of fans, so good for them.
Geno - Pretty damn satisfied. The holy trinity would finally be complete.
Isaac - Really satisfied. Isaac has become one of my most wanted for this game even though I've never really played his game. It feels like this game is filling in the cracks of characters that they missed in the past, and Isaac is definitely one of those characters.
Monster Hunter - Okay. I'd prefer Dante or Leon Kennedy for our next Capcom character, but Monster Hunter isn't a poor choice.
Lloyd Irving - Nice. Lloyd is actually one of my most wanted, and I'd love to see a dual-wielding fighting style in Smash.
Dixie Kong - As an echo? Okay. Other people will be happy. As a duo character with Kiddy Kong? Heck yeah.
Impa - Meh
Skull Kid - Meh
Black Shadow - I can reenact the anime scene? **** yeah.
Bandana Waddle Dee - Satisfied. It pleases a lot of people and a lance/spear hasn't been represented in Smash Bros. yet
Ninten - Okay
Diskun - Okay.
Raiden - Okay.
Big Boss - Okay.
Shadow - OW THE EDGE
Elma - Satisfied enough. Again, dual wielding hasn't been represented in Smash yet, and Elma could bring an interesting speedy-rougelike moveset along with that.
Rex and Pyra - Meh. I'm sure they'd bring a really unique moveset and would be fun to play, but I don't like their characters, and I don't like Xenoblade 2. I could just never get into it compared to the first game.
Jeanne - Not surprised.
Spring Man - Can't wait to be a stretchy boi
Wonder Red - Surprised. Thought this guy's chances were dead.

I'm going to add a couple of my own:

Sora - H Y P E
Terra Branford - Hype!
Joker - H . Y . P . E .
Dante - Pretty hype
Banjo & Kazooie - Excited. Happy for another unique play style, and happy for their fans

As for my most wanted:
  • Sora
  • Joker
  • Terra Branford
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Dante
  • Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong
  • Incineroar
  • Chorus Kids
  • Lip

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All this talk of Karate Joe and Chorus Men and I'm expecting the Rhythm Monkeys to show up.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Oh. And I thought it was a hint that Skull Kid is in the game.

"Reset the clock" as in play the Song of Time to reset the clock back 3 days.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
For me, at least, I'm split. On the one hand, we have seen characters that were scrapped in one game, appear in another. So I find them highly likely in that regard, assuming they weren't scrapped for logistical reasons other than time or 3DS issues (which is a possibility, in which case those logistical issues could still be a hurdle). On the other hand, with a limited roster, Sakurai's focus for the base game could be for characters who were very popular on the ballot (and for me personally, that would be ideal), and RH characters never really made it into the top 10 or top 20 at the time, from the polls I've seen. And unlike Chrom, any RH character would be a completely unique character. So if we only have four unique characters left, that doesn't leave much room. So, I think it's possible, but unlikely at this point. Would be nice to have them in for the fans, and I think they could be interesting. But given those reasons, I've had a difficult time finding a place to put them in my predictions.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was wondering about the capture button. The other one is news to me. I do wonder how replays will work now knowing that.

For example, how many replays did Brawl allow, and 4?
I’m pretty sure replays will be completely separate from the capture button, assuming that they do enable video clip saving for Ultimate, given that they’re two separate things (the capture button saves a video clip, while the replay button saves a list of inputs that could get turned into a video later if the replay video uploading from Wii U returns.)

IDK how many replays Brawl could save, according to SSBwiki 3DS could save 64 replays and Wii U could save “well over 200.”

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Interesting that the update is already installed to the Nintendo servers. Dataminers saying that they found support for the NES and SNES controllers. Are there any leaks for the September Direct that include this controller support?

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
That new online service is launching soon, right? So Nintendo must have something planned if they want to explain it properly.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Guys I have ideal.. what if there was a sort of Dark Souls invasion system in the new mode where if you’re online... other players will be able to fight you.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
That new online service is launching soon right? So Nintendo must have something planned if they want to explain it properly.
And they REALLY need to sell people on it, too. Despite the price being plenty affordable, there's still a lot of expectations with making your online service paid.

A newcomer would help distract from that at least :V

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Visually appealing in that it'll look even or some cluster**** like Melee's?
I mean, Ultimate's roster by default already resembles melee's, what with echoes being by their originals. This time, stacking can avert that ugly style.

Also, stacking will keep Dark Samus from interrupting the flow of the OG 8 (if only she were not an echo).

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Sorry guys I don't quite know how to insert tweets, but apparently Loz18 just came back to his account.

He literally posted "How's your day so far?" along with a picture of a very bright Sun, a very golden looking Sun, and Mimique retweeted it. So yeah, take that as you will.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
yea i actually am leaning much more towards stacking echoes instead of keeping them separate the more i think about it. this roster isn’t big on organization anyways and it will make them marginally easier to find (plus i can hide roy’s existence forever)

D

Deleted member

Ooh...if Serebii is tweeting it, maybe they're expecting a new Pokemon reveal.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
That new online service is launching soon right? So Nintendo must have something planned if they want to explain it properly.
That assumes that they want to explain their online service properly, which since it's original announcement they've shown no interest in doing :p

I really wouldn't be surprised if they just put out a press release on the website and the September Direct has no mention of online. It goes along with what they have been doing so far. That having been said, the datamine with controller support makes me think they *might* mention that in a Direct, but I could see it being a trailer that they put on Youtube as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m calling it, the September direct will be on or close to September 14th. The Japanese twitter said it would be “in the middle of September” that they’d launch their online service...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom