• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
While Shadow is the easier Echo, Tails has large potential to be a uniuque fighter, and, in my friend group, (I can even have someone vouch for me on this) Tails is the most popular sonic charecter, even more than sonic himself. At the same time, I prefer Tails because I connect with him on a personal level, as such, I WILL be and AM biased. However you did use personal prefrence as an argument, so I feel safe using it as well. Tails would be a powerful zoner, with good projectiles, while being a glass cannon, a nice archtype, despite having a likely abusable recovery, I think he has the potential to be the best zoning charecter in the game
I forgot Shepand Pagwins friend group actually determines who's in the game.
I can't help but feel decades worth of fanpolls would disagree. I think my personal argument was a bit different from that.
(Hope I'm not coming across as rude. Again, I like Tails.)

Potential to be a UNIQUE fighter.
In Ultimate, the fact of the matter is that we don't have that much space for those alongside everything else being bought back for added.
Echoes are the talk of the town. Shadow would be a perfect Echo. Change the Up Special and maybe the Down Special and snap, it's that easy. Well, no it isn't, there's plenty of other elements to be added but certainly MUCH less work than a unique like Tails would take.
That's not getting started on Shadow's popularity in the Smash fanbase, and the Sonic fanbase. Yes, Tails is quite big, has been since his debut, but Shadow did kinda get his own game.

I definitely wouldn't make assumptions about a characters entire playstyle before they're even in. Perhaps he could be the best up-close character. Best zoner. We dunno because he isn't in.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

This should be Kiryu victory animation
If Kazuma ****ing Kiryu makes it into smash, there'd be literally no other reason to ask for another character.

On a serious note, Yakuza is quickly becoming one of Sega's most popular franchises so this isn't really out of reach now.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
All but the Spirits name change and Bandana Dee not being playable I want to be real...especially the return of Rainbow Road
Kiryu is the only character that I would say justifies Deathborn not being there. Kiryu would literally make me as hype as Deathborn in Smash would make me.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
You all want Kiryu in Smash until his Tiger Drop is the most powerful counter in the game and he's banned from all tournaments.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You all want Kiryu in Smash until his Tiger Drop is the most powerful counter in the game and he's banned from all tournaments.
Majima echo fighter where he uses the knife stab instead.

It does less percent damage but kills way earlier.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Seriously, if Heihachi is a candidate for a possible Bamco rep, the Kiryu should be as a Sega one. He's THAT awesome.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If Kiryu is actually in this game...

How the hell is Smash still E10+?
:ultsnake::ultbayonetta::ultridley: pass but Kiryu is where we draw the line? His history shouldn't be associated about his placement in the game.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Alright, here's a question I haven't seen brought up much: How likely do you all think it is for another fully legitimate leak of Ultimate's entire base roster to happen, before we know who all of the newcomers are?

Follow-up question: Would you prefer that the entire roster doesn't get leaked again, or that it does? And either way, why?

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Why wouldn't it be? Kiryu himself isn't what makes Yakuza rated M. All he does is punch some dudes and take his shirt off every now and then.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright, here's a question I haven't seen brought up much: How likely do you all think it is for another fully legitimate leak of Ultimate's entire base roster to happen, before we know who all of the newcomers are?

Follow-up question: Would you prefer that the entire roster doesn't get leaked again, or that it does? And either way, why?
Well, according to Sakurai we'll know the full roster before the game comes out so i'd rather hear it from the man himself.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's possible definitely, it just hasn't happened yet. Probably because Sakurai upped security by tenfold.

We can't determine if it will or won't get leaked again. Remember when we all thought the ESRB leak was fake as **** until the videos came out, and even then people were denying it, and even then just as Shulk was announced and his render wasn't exactly up yet, it was "just a coincidence"?

You can never tell until it's too late, because by then you've already seen it and you already know.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
... And that’s it for me ladies and gentlemen, it was nice knowing all of you for so long! (Okay but seriously this brings back some bad memories... :urg:)
It's just a prank bro

TBH i'd prefer if the entire roster just got leaked so we can stop with the fake renders and text-only leaks

Chrono.

I think it's likely that it's already leaked via text and we either just wrote it off or haven't found it. Picture leaks are another story.

Tbh, I'd prefer for it to not leak. But I also realize that the likelihood of another big leak happening is around 50/50 so I won't be too surprised or upset if it happens.

StormC

Smash Hero

Cloud is from a game where he crossdresses to infiltrate a brothel and threatens to chop off the jewels of the pimp who runs it.

It's not a problem.

D

Deleted member

Hmm....I think I may legitimately know a character that will be joining Smash, but hasn't been mentioned by leaks yet. It's still too early to identify a definitive pattern, but so far, its looking good. If I'm right, hmmm......

I know we've done this a thousand times already, but I'm going to throw out a list of predictions based on my theory. Can't do Echoes, though, since they don't seem to follow it. Anyway, if I'm right, we could see:
Geno
Samurai Goroh
Randi
Ken (the only Echo I can predict)
Porky
Bill/Lance

In other words, I think they may be taking inspiration from the SNES Classic. There's not a lot to go on, I admit. So far, the only ones that fit are King K Rool, Ridley, and Simon as they all featured prominently in the games included in the SNES Classic.

I could be totally wrong, but there could be a Final Fantasy III or Secret of Mana rep if I'm right; that'd be cool. Plus, its a bit more fun to consider that right now than the umpteenth fake render that's floated in thanks to Batman keeping a steady supply in the thread right now.

Cloud is from a game where he crossdresses to infiltrate a brothel and threatens to chop off the jewels of the pimp who runs it.

It's not a problem.
Only after Tifa threatens to Crush them and Aeris threatens to...Squeeze them? I forget her threat, actually.

Last edited by a moderator:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Hmm....I think I may legitimately know a character that will be joining Smash, but hasn't been mentioned by leaks yet. It's still too early to identify a definitive pattern, but so far, its looking good. If I'm right, hmmm......

I know we've done this a thousand times already, but I'm going to throw out a list of predictions based on my theory. Can't do Echoes, though, since they don't seem to follow it. Anyway, if I'm right, we could see:
Geno
Samurai Goroh
Randi
Ken (the only Echo I can predict)
Porky
Bill/Lance

In other words, I think they may be taking inspiration from the SNES Classic. There's not a lot to go on, I admit. So far, the only ones that fit are King K Rool, Ridley, and Simon as they all featured prominently in the games included in the SNES Classic.

I could be totally wrong, but there could be a Final Fantasy III or Secret of Mana rep if I'm right; that'd be cool. Plus, its a bit more fun to consider that right now than the umpteenth fake render that's floated in thanks to Batman keeping a steady supply in the thread right now.

Only after Tifa threatens to Crush them and Aeris threatens to...Squeeze them? I forget her threat, actually.
Only that Goroh is still an AT and I'd say Sakurai is taking inspiration from the ballot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Only that Goroh is still an AT and I'd say Sakurai is taking inspiration from the ballot.
Oh crap, I didnt realize that Goroh was seen already. And I know that some inspiration was being taken from the Ballot, I thought that SNES Classic could serve as another area of inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Tails would probably make an easier echo than Shadow; you wouldn't have to change a thing. Sure, he can fly with his copter tail, but there's nothing against him using a spring for some height either. He could have Sonic's entire moveset and it wouldn't look the least bit out of place; he even has the same running animation, so there'd be no need to change that (just make sure the tails rotate when he runs). I'd say to make him a bit different, just make him and his attacks a bit slower, but a bit stronger.
Tails definitely requires animation changes. If they can make Dark Samus hover constantly and even for attacks why wouldn't they give Tails the tail-turbine run animation he uses in every single game he's playable in?

You wouldn't need to change a thing? How about that Up-throw he physically can't do?

Tails needs to fly since he flies in virtually every game he appears in. Even in Fighters where Sonic's Smash moveset is heavily based upon Tails has a couple of moves where he utilises flight.

It's an important trait. No reason for it not to be his recovery.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Heihachi? Lloyd? How about some love for my boy Klonoa
Ah Klonoa.

The game that gives you such a good time then in the final moments, punches you in the gut.

Maybe "Sudden Gut-Puch Ending" will be his final Smash

D

Deleted member

Tails definitely requires animation changes. If they can make Dark Samus hover constantly and even for attacks why wouldn't they give Tails the tail-turbine run animation he uses in every single game he's playable in?

You wouldn't need to change a thing? How about that Up-throw he physically can't do?

Tails needs to fly since he flies and virtually every game he appears in. Even in Fighters where Sonic's Smash moveset is heavily based upon Tails has a couple of moves where he utilises flight.

It's an important trait. No reason for it not to be his recovery.
Hmm...seems to me I have forgotten many things about Sonic. I havent played him as much, my bad. As for the run, though...I thought his feet did the same animation as Sonic's while his tail rotated. More errors have been made on my part.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
People on 4chan claimed I said stuff I never said all the time last go around. It's just what they do.
You're saying Vanroose would really go on to the internet and just lie to us?!

Darnit, can we stop pretending to know what the "casual" auidence wants, or any other niche? You know whaf you want, and what other people want when they tell you, so coming up with an imagniary group of people that conveniently can't confirm nor deny your statement to support a charecter only hurts your argument in the long run.
Sorry if thats over agressive, It just bugs me when people do this
Yeah I always disliked the "appeal to casuals" arguments, which could never have any real evidence backing them, and were pretty much just used to dismiss poll results and popular characters someone doesn't like (K. Rool, Ridley, and Geno being most often subjected to it), while also being used to make someone's favored character's support/demand sound much bigger than it appears (which I always found especially shoddy, when casuals know how to use the internet and such demand that if existed would be made clear somewhere).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom