• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think another thing we all should remember that Street Fighter is getting 36 songs this time around. There's no way it's just gonna be Ryu, if Street Fighter is getting THIS much love.
Speaking of which, if we're getting that much songs, THEN GUILE'S THEME SHOULD BE ONE OF THOSE 36.

I really hope Volcanic Rim is one of those songs

Pls

Pls.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
8.8 will go down in Smash history. I don't think even the final Smash Direct will be as mindblowing.
I guarantee you the last direct before release will be a complete bombshell of reveals. It is the Ultimate smash Bros game after all.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Daily reminder that Street Fighter IV is a really, really, really good game. Street Fighter V is *** without HAKAN AND SETH in the roster.
THANK YOU!

I want Elena and Poison back too :c and also C. Viper

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
This month is either going to go really smoothly, or drive us absolutely stir crazy if they don't announce the next direct.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
On an unrelated note, why do Captain Toad supporters exist? What's so special about him besides the fact that he wears a headlight?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
8.8 will go down in Smash history. I don't think even the final Smash Direct will be as mindblowing.
That's a bold bet you're making! Never underestimate Sakurai lol
I would have said that about the August 8th Direct, and I would have been dead wrong. That being said, as E3 and the August Direct had so many announcements, so many heavy hitters--it does *feel* like realistically it would be improbable to top. And it seems odd how much Ultimate would lead with so much unless they had something even bigger to top them. Of course, if B&K are in a Direct, even though emotionally I feel it coming, rationally I still find it improbable--and so I'd still have my mind blown. So I could see it going either way--perhaps they did front load announcements and it'll taper off from here on out. Or there are still some mindblowing surprises left. Really hoping for the latter.

StormC

Smash Hero
That's a bold bet you're making! Never underestimate Sakurai lol
I guarantee you the last direct before release will be a complete bombshell of reveals. It is the Ultimate smash Bros game after all.
I can't imagine a Direct bigger than:

-Simon Belmont
-King K. Rool
-three echoes
-Over 100 stages
-Over 900 songs
-8 player on every stage

Even if the last Direct is an Adventure Mode, Banjo, and Geno... I don't know if it would be as crazy as what we already got. We shall see.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So the biggest question, what reveal will it take to make people even consider him 'legit'?

Even if something like "Incineroar, Isabelle and Ken" all get dropped in the next Direct, most people will use the "Obvious in hindsight" argument.
Minecraft content. He said something was going to appear.
It IS obvious that Incineroar, Isabelle, and Ken are likely, the last two were seen as possible, likely candidates since Echoes were announced (especially Richter..Verge said nothing of Ken until after that reveal) and Incineroar or Decidueye were the most likely Sun/Moon reps.
Minecraft content though, that's a tougher call..if it and everything else proves correct, I'll consider him legit.

Problem is that even when he does seem to have legit info with previous leaks, he ends up saying things that are incorrect.
So, legit or not, he's not 100% trustworthy.

SonicMario

Smash Master
On an unrelated note, why do Captain Toad supporters exist? What's so special about him besides the fact that he wears a headlight?
Cause people have been wanting a playable Toad since Melee? If regular Toad can't escape Peach's moveset. Then Captain Toad provided new hope for them. Even if that's now gone due to him being on the New Donk City stage. Albeit DLC might be possible since it's such a minor cameo, but even then Captain Toad's going to find it difficult if spots are scarce.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm intrigued to see how they're gonna top this. Maybe not - Sm4sh did its big reveals early and didn't have much excitement at the end, but I feel like Sakurai's still got something big up his sleeve.

Only problem is that I have a weird feeling that 'complete bombshell' may be 'breaking the 4th party rule' with Goku...

I think we're all at the point that we need more news before we all go insane. That's the main reason I preferred the DOJO and the PotD - we got a bit of new information each day, so if nothing else we had a series of discussion topics.

D

Deleted member

THANK YOU!

I want Elena and Poison back too :c and also C. Viper
OKAY, ALL CAPS TIME, HOW DID C. VIPER NOT GET IN SFV WHEN SHE WAS EVEN IN MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3???

That's like, BIG. They pushed the hell out of her during Mahvel even, and now I don't even see her anymore.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The worst things about SFV are Juri's design, her theme and the fact that she is bottom tier.

They ruined everything about her lol.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I can't imagine a Direct bigger than:

-Simon Belmont
-King K. Rool
-three echoes
-Over 100 stages
-Over 900 songs
-8 player on every stage

Even if the last Direct is an Adventure Mode, Banjo, and Geno... I don't know if it would be as crazy as what we already got. We shall see.
Well stages and songs are already hard to top, but if they save it to the end they can talk about the Spirits mode or whatever it's gonna be called + who knows how many echoes (really we don't know how crazy Sakurai can go still), and maybe 2 newcomers again (or who knows if even 3, it all depends on when this last smash direct is gonna be and if almost nothing is gonna be announced between now and then…). I mean the chances of getting something nearly as big is quite possible, plus if you think about the shock value of the newcomers, that might top it for some people if they are fan of such newcomers.

StormC

Smash Hero
Conceptually, this is a cool moveset, and the animation went into it is well done, but I just foresee loads of balance problems with this fighter concept.

Plus the idea that Sakurai would add a character that doesn't jump - in a platformer fighting game - just strikes me as counterintuitive. Fans obsess more over the "Toad can't jump" meme than anyone who would actually be designing him.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The thing I find really fishy about Verg is how unspecific some of this information is. How would he know it's not Lycanroc or Decidueye? They aren't pokeballs, so did his sources see them in the background of a stage or something? And how is he so confident that there's Minecraft content if he doesn't even know what it is? Same thing with that whole "a second Square Enix rep" thing. He doesn't even know what game they're going to be from? What kind of source is giving him this information?

Simon convinced me he has at least one source who knows some stuff, but I'm really having a hard time buying everything he says.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Because I like his character and his game :ultpacman:
Fair enough.
Cause people have been wanting a playable Toad since Melee? If regular Toad can't escape Peach's moveset. Then Captain Toad provided new hope for them. Even if that's now gone due to him being on the New Donk City stage. Albeit DLC might be possible since it's such a minor cameo, but even then Captain Toad's going to find it difficult if spots are scarce.
But what moveset could you possibly give to a character that cannot jump and can barely walk?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
There's characters I still want that wouldn't blow my mind the same way Ridley and K. Rool did, but would make me even happier regardless.

I look forward to what the remaining directs (however many that may be) have to offer!

So the biggest question, what reveal will it take to make people even consider him 'legit'?

Even if something like "Incineroar, Isabelle and Ken" all get dropped in the next Direct, most people will use the "Obvious in hindsight" argument.
There may be nothing that would do that.

There's always gonna be some amount of people who will follow that kind of mentality and maintain it, no matter what.

Shroob

Sup?
The thing I find really fishy about Verg is how unspecific some of this information is. How would he know it's not Lycanroc or Decidueye? They aren't pokeballs, so did his sources see them in the background of a stage or something? And how is he so confident that there's Minecraft content if he doesn't even know what it is? Same thing with that whole "a second Square Enix rep" thing. He doesn't even know what game they're going to be from? What kind of source is giving him this information?

Simon convinced me he has at least one source who knows some stuff, but I'm really having a hard time buying everything he says.
I mean, his other sources could know it's Incineroar, but they just didn't tell him by name.

I mean, one flat out already said "It's Incineroar", with the other two giving radio silence.

If you knew "It's Incineroar", you'd obviously know it's "Also not Lycanroc, Mimikyu or Decidueye."

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Gematsu still has doubters. Not that I'm 100% on the Vergeben train but some people refuse to believe text leaks.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Conceptually, this is a cool moveset, and the animation went into it is well done, but I just foresee loads of balance problems with this fighter concept.

Plus the idea that Sakurai would add a character that doesn't jump - in a platformer fighting game - just strikes me as counterintuitive. Fans obsess more over the "Toad can't jump" meme than anyone who would actually be designing him.
If Sakurai wanted to make things fair, he would probably give him a pretty bad (low) jump, or make his fall speed even higher than Fox's. This shouldn't deconfirm him, but the balancing definitely would be hard, like you said.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
He's my best friend.

On the real though I mostly just really like his game. Also his design is great (although Toads just a good character design in general so w/e.) I also kind of like how he was just a random side character in Galaxy that just kept showing up over and over from then on seemingly for no reason.

He is a nice boy and I will always defend him.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
I actually think the purple and yellow seats and the green sofa in the background of the last direct are strong enough evidence for Skull Kid. As well as the fact that we haven’t seen his AT and Verge predicts him, I’d say Skull Kid is an 100% lock now.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I mean, his other sources could know it's Incineroar, but they just didn't tell him by name.

I mean, one flat out already said "It's Incineroar", with the other two giving radio silence.

If you knew "It's Incineroar", you'd obviously know it's "Also not Lycanroc, Mimikyu or Decidueye."
But why?

If they know it's Incineroar, and they're leaking information to him anyway, why didn't they just tell him "Incineroar"? Why do they have to complicate it by only saying who it's not?

Shroob

Sup?
I actually think the purple and yellow seats and the green sofa in the background of the last direct are strong enough evidence for Skull Kid. As well as the fact that we haven’t seen his AT and Verge predicts him, I’d say Skull Kid is an 100% lock now.
Verg never predicted him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom