• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I’m just shocked there’s no playable felines in Smash yet.

We already have primates, canines, birds, and reptiles so far.

Incineroar, Meowth or anyone really could do the job :V.
We don't have any insectoids either... So let's go, Golisopod! (or Buzzwole)

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
My predictions:

- Incineroar
- Isaac
- Geno
- Chorus Kids
- Isabelle (echo)
- Ken (echo)
- Tails (echo)
- Celica (echo)
Pretty safe predictions, though I genuinely cannot see Tails getting in over Shadow.
I also think Skull Kid is a little more likely than Isaac.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm not a Persona fan so I'm just speculating from what I see from the outside but Joker was definitely not a consideration back when the roster was decided as his game wasn't even out and there were no signs of him appearing on Nintendo. At least ONE appearance would be enough but he didn't have that yet unlike Yu who was the face of the series back then(and still is to many, see BlazBlue CrossTag).
And I don't see Joker as becoming the face of the series, it seems more like a rotating thing, they milked P4 as much as they could so now it's P5's turn.

Not that I wouldn't mind Joker though, he's much more stylish, that's for sure.
A Persona character likely won't be in the base roster though, so that point doesn't matter.

Again, see Cloud and Snake for the fact that Nintendo appearances don't count for third parties. Sakurai has even commented on the console wars saying how stupid it is (see: Cloud DLC Interview Part 2).

SonicMario

Smash Master
Wow, I actually kinda forgot about the Rabbids.

Considering Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle was a well liked game and Ninty and Ubi have good ties, I almost say they’re as likely as Rayman.

Then again, they were probably Pre-E3 speculated characters similar to Decidueye so nvm lol.
At this point both may come in as DLC. Imagine the reactions to excitement for Rayman's trailer from people reacting...

...And then later in the trailer a Rabbid pops up and gets a splash screen

The whiplash from happiness to anger might be kind of priceless xP

Come on man, we already have Bayonetta, Sonic, Knuckles and possibly Shadow.
You list Knuckles as if he counts among the playables when he's an Assist. And whether or not Shadow gets in as an echo in the base game or not. I'm just saying if a 3rd party franchise getting another character that isn't an echo (Or heck if by some miracle Shadow ISN'T Sonic's echo they could have Tails instead, though it may take a little more tinkering then Chrom did) happens, then Tails has a chance.

Still a small chance mind you but not a "never ever", that's all I'm saying.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I have been begging for Meowth for almost 20 years. :urg:

D

Deleted member

A Persona character likely won't be in the base roster though, so that point doesn't matter.

Again, see Cloud and Snake for the fact that Nintendo appearances don't count for third parties. Sakurai has even commented on the console wars saying how stupid it is (see: Cloud DLC Interview Part 2).
They do need at least one appearance, otherwise it's not a Nintendo crossover anymore, and Joker didn't have one back in 2015. And yes, Sakurai has stated that 3rd Parties need to have appeared in a Nintendo console at least once.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
You list Knuckles as if he counts among the playables when he's an Assist. And whether or not Shadow gets in as an echo in the base game or not. I'm just saying if a 3rd party franchise getting another character that isn't an echo (Or heck if by some miracle Shadow ISN'T Sonic's echo they could have Tails instead, though it may take a little more tinkering then Chrom did) happens, then Tails has a chance.

Still a small chance mind you but not a "never ever", that's all I'm saying.
Okay, she's not a never ever, but still has extremely low chances of making it in, probably around 2%-5%

osby

Smash Obsessed

Don't forget Joker will be in 3DS soon.

*"Road Less Taken" plays in distance*

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

It should just be a main SMT character. 4 is the perfect game for a smash candidate and was released solely on the 3DS

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
They do need at least one appearance, otherwise it's not a Nintendo crossover anymore, and Joker didn't have one back in 2015. And yes, Sakurai has stated that 3rd Parties need to have appeared in a Nintendo console at least once.
I don't think you necessarily understand the point I'm making.

Joker will have an appearance on a Nintendo console by the time DLC starts actual development. Sakurai has known about this for over a year as well, as Q2 was announced in like August 2017 and it was clear that the Phantom Thieves were going to be in it.

Unless a Persona character gets on the base roster, which is highly unlikely, I would give Joker better chances over Yu. Being on a Nintendo console pre-2015 doesn't matter for DLC, or else popular picks like Rex & Pyra, Spring Man, and Octolings aren't possible at all. I've talked about why Joker has a better chance than Yu in the past, so I'm not going to repeat anything I've already said.
It should just be a main SMT character. 4 is the perfect game for a smash candidate and was released solely on the 3DS
As sad as it is, Persona is way more popular than SMT, evidenced by better sales, widespread acclaim, and the fact that SMTxFE practically turned into PersonaxFE. It's the difference between Cloud and a less popular character like Terra or Bartz being added into Sm4sh. Cloud was more popular, therefore he was added. Similarly, Persona is more popular than SMT, hence why it's more likely a character from Persona will be added.

Or we could just get the Jack Bros. I'd definitely be okay with that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we're talkin' about feline reps in Smash, I got the perfect one for you guys:

If Marth can get three clones, why can't Samus get two? :troll:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Yeah nothing either one has "leaked" contradicts the other so far, so i agree i think they have separate pieces of info that are slowly forming the final game roster but we'll have to wait and see.
How you liking the 10,000 subscribers? Must feel good, man.

I do have a question as a fellow subscriber. Do you have any plans for the channel once the leaking season is over?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
It's been mentioned earlier but kind of brushed under the rug that Squad Strike is confirmed to function like PM All Star mode. To me this is something really interesting and I'd like to discuss it.

My first question is whether or not people expect / want to see this catch on as an event. I've seen two interesting opposing points of view:

1) Squad Strike will lead to an increase in top players pulling out pocket characters, thereby increasing character diversity.

2) Squad Strike will result in dedicated mains choosing easy top tiers to pad out their roster, thereby decreasing character diversity.

Both are interesting points worth discussing.

Secondly, if this did become standard, who would you expect to use? I'd assume 3v3 but feel free to go 5.

I would go with :ultkrool::ultrob::ulticeclimbers: most likely, though ICs could be switched out if I find another character particularly interesting.

DarkSt0rm009

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtremeDeath
3DS FC
0946-2239-4297
Switch FC
SW-6724-2496-0212
It lines up with what loz18 has said in the past (see spoiler 1) about having made an account "somewhere" and info coming out there. Gaia Online's forums are practically dead, so it'd be a smart place to get in, post information, and get out before being found. What he says is consistent with Vergeben's statements (Love him or hate him Vergeben is our one reliable leaker so far). I've included the post in spoiler 2 below. loz18 may have taken a hit of credibility after he dove off the deep end, but it's been proven that he had/has insider information, so he's still kind of worth listening to.
Okay I know I've missed out on the discussion of this by about almost 12 hours, however I would just like to say that I have discovered that he had apparently made the account on the 30th with that being his one and only post.

I'm not sure if it checks out, or if it's even really loz18, but this is seeming more and more interesting.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Hey did anybody talk about this?
I don’t have much to say about it. It is cool and I will be doing this a lot. Hopefully we really do see it in tournaments. Almost wish you could tag characters out like MvC. That would make it perfect.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's been mentioned earlier but kind of brushed under the rug that Squad Strike is confirmed to function like PM All Star mode. To me this is something really interesting and I'd like to discuss it.

My first question is whether or not people expect / want to see this catch on as an event. I've seen two interesting opposing points of view:

1) Squad Strike will lead to an increase in top players pulling out pocket characters, thereby increasing character diversity.

2) Squad Strike will result in dedicated mains choosing easy top tiers to pad out their roster, thereby decreasing character diversity.

Secondly, if this did become standard, who would you expect to use? I'd assume 3v3 but feel free to go 5.

I would go with :ultkrool::ultrob::ulticeclimbers: most likely, though ICs could be switched out if I find another character particularly interesting.
For 3v3, :ultchrom::ultmarth::ultlittlemac:. For 5v5, :ultchrom::ultmarth::ultlittlemac::ultmewtwo::ultmario:.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I'll be willing to wait 20 years if it leads to Blaze and Miyu getting in eventually.

Imagine all the reaction videos when they show him
It would be extra-shocking if Duke Nukem was revealed at the same time, and that John St. Jon voices both of them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think you necessarily understand the point I'm making.

Joker will have an appearance on a Nintendo console by the time DLC starts actual development. Sakurai has known about this for over a year as well, as Q2 was announced in like August 2017 and it was clear that the Phantom Thieves were going to be in it.

Unless a Persona character gets on the base roster, which is highly unlikely, I would give Joker better chances over Yu. Being on a Nintendo console pre-2015 doesn't matter for DLC, or else popular picks like Rex & Pyra, Spring Man, and Octolings aren't possible at all. I've talked about why Joker has a better chance than Yu in the past, so I'm not going to repeat anything I've already said.

As sad as it is, Persona is way more popular than SMT, evidenced by better sales, widespread acclaim, and the fact that SMTxFE practically turned into PersonaxFE. It's the difference between Cloud and a less popular character like Terra or Bartz being added into Sm4sh. Cloud was more popular, therefore he was added. Similarly, Persona is more popular than SMT, hence why it's more likely a character from Persona will be added.

Or we could just get the Jack Bros. I'd definitely be okay with that.
I'm personally expecting Yu for the base roster. Not in a "he's totally in" way but rather "I wouldn't be that surprised if it happened"

:ultganondorf::ultshulk::ultfalcon: if I was basing myself on Smash 4. Ganon and Shulk are locks though I'd have to play the new characters first to really make a decision.

Untouch

Smash Master

While I think squad strike should be the main event, I don't think making it a side event on the level of 2v2 would hurt too bad. A lot of higher level players already play 3 characters, so the overlap between the two modes would probably be significant unlike 2v2 where you have to also learn team combos. Squad Strike may even end up more popular spectator wise and push out 1v1.

amageish

Smash Master
Here are my somewhat-boring predictions:

If we get no more stages:
- Bandana Dee
- Paper Mario
- A Pokemon
- Geno
- Skull Kid
- Isabelle (echo)
- Ken (echo)
- Shadow (echo)

If we do get more stages:
- Bandana Dee
- Isaac
- A Pokemon
- Geno
- Skull Kid
- Isabelle (echo)
- Ken (echo)
- Shadow (echo)
- Felix (echo)

Like others, I expect a variety of series to be represented in non-playable roles, be it trophy a la Rayman, boss a la Rathaloss, Assist Trophy a la Shovel Knight, or music a la Galaga. Series I'd expect to get shout-outs in this format include:
- Rayman
- Rabbids
- Ace Attorney
- Okami
- Frogger
- Puyo Puyo
- MegaTen
- Professor Layton
- Yokai Watch
- Dragon Quest
- Bravely Default

Banjo, Steve?, Rex/Pyra, Octolings, and more seem super likely for DLC. I do wonder if they'd do a second ballot though and who would come up more often then.

If we're getting a playable ATLUS character in the base game, then my bets would be on Flynn, as while Persona was always bigger then SMT, P5 really blew it out of the water. Without the knowledge that that was going to happen, I can definitely see the logic of "Oh, let's pick the more Nintendo-associated series." For DLC, however, Joker is frankly the obvious pick, for better and for worse. He's the one currently getting all the spin-offs and crossover events in any mobile game that can afford his license. His game sold insanely well both in Japan and worldwide to the point where it broke into the mainstream and had people who "don't like JRPGs" complimenting it.

The BlazBlue Cross-Tag Battle comparison also really doesn't work, as that game is crossing over famous ArcSys fighting games (plus RWBY as they want to appeal to Western Audiences for fighting game tournaments and RWBY is western). Joker hasn't been in a famous ArcSys fighting game (yet), so he wasn't added to Cross-Tag. It'd also be a bit of a weird marketing move to have a Persona 5 Arena character in Cross-Tag before Persona 5 Arena is announced to exist.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

I don’t think it will be that simple. You could select a favorite and then select someone who covers that character’s weakness(counterpick). Then someone who does the same for THAT character. You know, at least until Bayo 2.0 shows up.

D

Deleted member

A butterfly is also on the box art too. So I guess we can expect either this...

or this...

Choji Akamichi floats into battle.
Or...

I get that the butterfly is the wrong color, but I'm still making the joke, dammit.

EDIT: The image actually disappeared from the post for whatever reason, so here's a new one.
EDIT 2: Except this one's now broken....lovely.
EDIT 3: Here's a new new pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Glad to hear squad strike is one long match.
The way it was worded during the direct made me worried that it was going to be a bunch of separate matches.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Here are my predictions:

Unique:
Nihilego/Buzzwole/Incineroar
Elma
Isaac
Chorus Kids/Karate Joe/Tibby
Ayumi
DQ Character/Geno
Heihachi/Lloyd

Echo Fighters: