• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Didn't see anyone talk about this but Squad Strike is confirmed to be each character as one Stock
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76954109
Thank god, really not sure why they didn't just make it 100% clear during the Direct, even just a short clip of a character dying and another one taking its place would have avoided a lot of confusion.

A

Who's Tapu Koko?
Also not that I necessarily want him in but does anyone else think Elecman could be Megaman's echo?
Since Zero's the new assist and he's wasn't in Megaman's final smash like Proto and Bass
Tapu Koko is a legendary Pokémon that was heavily promoted in Sun and Moon's early days.

Chrono.

Characters I'm pretty confident about making it in:
  • Shadow
  • Isabelle
  • Banjo
  • Isaac
  • Ken
  • Geno
Characters I think have a decent shot but wouldn't be surprised to not see them.
  • An SMT character that's not Jack Frost (probably Flynn)
  • A Pokemon, any Pokemon
  • Tails
  • Akuma
  • Steve
  • Bandana Dee
  • Paper Mario
  • Dixie Kong
  • Rayman
  • A Dragon Quest character/probably Erdrick
  • Skull Kid
  • Black Knight

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Simply the fact that K. Rool was confirmed and everyone thinks the most popular characters actually have a fair chance now, including Banjo.
K. Rool got in + Misconception that rare owns K. Rool x (Creator said he's was up for it + Being one of the few old *** picks left) = Overblown hype for him despite him not being any more or less likely than he was before
So basically it's because of K Rool???
Sorry gang, but
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 12.48.44 PM.png

Last edited:

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I have been seeing Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven rep quite frequently... I personally do not get it. Is there something about the characters that I am missing. Anyone want to help me understand the demand that isn't simply "Cause I want a Rhythm Heaven rep", or that it was previously cut content?

I personally think (And i apologize in advance if this hurts anybody), that they would work very well as assist trophies by doing rhythm based attacks from their respective rhythm game. I'd love to hear how others could conceptualize them as a fighter. I just can't
Rhythm Heaven is a big nintendo franchise which is very popular in Japan, and has a quite a large fanbase overseas. It is one of the bigger nintendo franchises not currently represented, would fit with Sakurai's "oddball" character picks, lends itself well to an interesting rhythm based moveset, and is now known to have been planned for the last game, so they definitely are in the runnings for both likelihood and popularity

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I have been seeing Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven rep quite frequently... I personally do not get it. Is there something about the characters that I am missing. Anyone want to help me understand the demand that isn't simply "Cause I want a Rhythm Heaven rep", or that it was previously cut content?

I personally think (And i apologize in advance if this hurts anybody), that they would work very well as assist trophies by doing rhythm based attacks from their respective rhythm game. I'd love to hear how others could conceptualize them as a fighter. I just can't
Didn’t Loz say that there was no Rhythm Heaven character in his post on the other site?

I’m surprised no one mentioned that part yet, it would be a little sad to see no playable Rhythm Heaven representation.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

I think they'd work very well as a Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Game and Watch sort of character. One whose specials and moves can make reference to the entire Rythm Heaven franchise. And that'd be pretty sick imo

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Yeah it's weird how it's only him who looks so odd, how did that even happen?
Most other characters look accurate, with a few minor stylistic changes here and there.
But DK just looks wonky. Much different than he looks in-game and in his own games.

Well Samus is stuck with her blandass Other M suit if it’s any consolation :p
I've heard this brought up a few times by Metroid fans. I should probably be embarrassed, but I can't tell the difference between her suits.
What do you guy prefer her to look like?
I think I've seen some ridges on the shoulders of her suit in other games, but in Smash they're smooth and completely rounded...? I'm unfamilier with the Metroid series. (I plan to change that once I finally get a SNES Classic)

Oh hey, it's a Gunner avi, good taste.
Why thank you! Always great to see another EO fan! Gunners were my favorite class in EO2.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh man, my list did not come spaced out like I thought it would. That's a shame; it looked so nice as I typed it up.

yeahmattm8

Smash Apprentice
I think everyone kinda forgets the Rayman leak happened around the Ballot period and after it was proven fake, there was likely a surge of demand for him.
Not like the trophy doesn't help either, he's currently the only 3P that had Smash 4 content that isn't disconfirmed or playable now

I really don't see how picking side characters from existing series is more predictable than "main character from that really popular game"
Fair enough it's just most side important side characters are assists, I do agree there is a lot but most movesets would be uninspired or semi echos. There are a lot of first party characters left that would be fresh and unlike other characters but my point is now days going by the ballot and the newcomers, characters like Skull Kid, Isaac, Geno and Dixie have never made more sense to be in and ultimately will act to please the fans and complete series, like Metroid.

D

Deleted member

But he'll be on a Nintendo console by the time DLC starts up (Persona Q2, releasing January 2019).

Also, Cloud and Snake show that appearing on Nintendo consoles don't really matter. Not discrediting Yu, but I think Joker is more likely as he's kind of the face of the Persona brand going forward. Advertising for Q2 has mainly shown the Phantom Thieves, and Dancing Star Night was a big reveal, with Dancing Moon Night taking more of a secondary appearance.

Anyways, here are my personal predictions:

Base Roster
  • Incineroar
  • Ken
  • Isabelle
  • Geno
  • Chorus Kids
  • Skull Kid
  • Shadow
  • Maybe Isaac
DLC
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Spring Man
  • Octolings
  • Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Sora
  • Joker
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Rayman
  • Tales of Character
I'm not a Persona fan so I'm just speculating from what I see from the outside but Joker was definitely not a consideration back when the roster was decided as his game wasn't even out and there were no signs of him appearing on Nintendo. At least ONE appearance would be enough but he didn't have that yet unlike Yu who was the face of the series back then(and still is to many, see BlazBlue CrossTag).
And I don't see Joker as becoming the face of the series, it seems more like a rotating thing, they milked P4 as much as they could so now it's P5's turn.

Not that I wouldn't mind Joker though, he's much more stylish, that's for sure.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I kinda thought you already knew, I’m not going into it again :S
Oh yeah nvm :laugh: that doesn't bother me at all, I thought you meant something to do with the actual suit, which looks the same

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
DK was never really a mario series character. The prototype for Mario was the protagonist, sure, but he was still 'Jumpman' at that point. He wasn't really fleshed out and his own character until afterward for a different IP. If you consider that a Mario series character just because his prototype was in it, then you'd have to consider Punch-Out! a Mario series too since Mario was the Ref.
Actually, Jumpman was named Mario in the American release of Donkey Kong, Miyamoto liked that name, so he decided to keep it.
That was Mario in Donkey Kong, not a prototype, this is why Smash always says Mario's first game is Donkey Kong.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You ever get that feeling where you're so used to seeing prediction lists, your eyes just glaze over them like they're not even there?

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
I think they'd work very well as a Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Game and Watch sort of character. One whose specials and moves can make reference to the entire Rythm Heaven franchise. And that'd be pretty sick imo
I am all for unique fighters that are fun to play as and also look cool. I would really need to see the character in action tbh. If they get in, I look forward to seeing what they can do then :)

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Characters I'm pretty confident about making it in:
  • Shadow
  • Isabelle
  • Banjo
  • Isaac
  • Ken
  • Geno
Characters I think have a decent shot but wouldn't be surprised to not see them.
  • An SMT character that's not Jack Frost (probably Flynn)
  • A Pokemon, any Pokemon
  • Tails
  • Akuma
  • Steve
  • Bandana Dee
  • Paper Mario
  • Dixie Kong
  • Rayman
  • A Dragon Quest character/probably Erdrick
  • Skull Kid
  • Black Knight
Shadow, Isabelle, Geno and Ken are pretty much shoo-in, it's just a matter of "when" rather than "if" they're gonna reveal them.
A Pokemon and a FE reps are also pretty much obligatory.
Rayman and Dragon Quest rep could work as the last big 3rd party reveals for the base roster.
SMT rep, Tails, Akuma and Steve are never evers
Paper Mario could fill the "WTF" character announcement

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm not a Persona fan so I'm just speculating from what I see from the outside but Joker was definitely not a consideration back when the roster was decided as his game wasn't even out and there were no signs of him appearing on Nintendo. At least ONE appearance would be enough but he didn't have that yet unlike Yu who was the face of the series back then(and still is to many, see BlazBlue CrossTag).
And I don't see Joker as becoming the face of the series, it seems more like a rotating thing, they milked P4 as much as they could so now it's P5's turn.

Not that I wouldn't mind Joker though, he's much more stylish, that's for sure.
So what you're saying is, if Joker did somehow make it in...

You'd never see it COMEEEEEEEEN~

D

Deleted member

Why thank you! Always great to see another EO fan! Gunners were my favorite class in EO2.
It's not every day I see an EO fan around here
actually, I think it is now, pretty sure I saw someone the other day, think my count is at 5

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Most other characters look accurate, with a few minor stylistic changes here and there.
But DK just looks wonky. Much different than he looks in-game and in his own games.

I've heard this brought up a few times by Metroid fans. I should probably be embarrassed, but I can't tell the difference between her suits.
What do you guy prefer her to look like?
I think I've seen some ridges on the shoulders of her suit in other games, but in Smash they're smooth and completely rounded...? I'm unfamilier with the Metroid series. (I plan to change that once I finally get a SNES Classic)

Look at this
43371BCE-089B-4B79-AA1A-1074202E5164.png

and bask in its glory!

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Didn’t Loz say that there was no Rhythm Heaven character in his post on the other site?

I’m surprised no one mentioned that part yet, it would be a little sad to see no playable Rhythm Heaven representation.
Did he? Seriously I get we can't have a leak thread but it would be nice if we could have a place to collect all the info that Verg and Loz have given, since they're really the only two anyone is following.

I guess you could add that Mimi whatever person, but they are very clearly just speculating

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Simply the fact that K. Rool was confirmed and everyone thinks the most popular characters actually have a fair chance now, including Banjo.

I guess we need to remind everyone that no character is/was a shoo-in for this game. Except Inklings but that's beside the point.
Its also the fact that Sakurai confirmed he was referring to the Ballot to make some of his character choices. I severely doubt Simon was a top ballot pick so I'm sure its only some are pulled from the Ballot and some aren't.

Of those from the ballot, there are reason why people say them a lot. We know they did relatively well (through exit polls) so Sakurai likely has taken them into consideration.

They are Geno, Isaac, Banjo, Rayman and Bandana Dee. I'm sure Elma and Shantae are up there too, but behind those 5 characters.

The exceptions are Incineroar and Skull Kid, who have so far been rumored by credible leakers, but were probably not top ballot picks for obvious reasons.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Have I missed something about Loz? I thought he lost his credibility, but people still seem to bring him up a lot

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Reminder than even when leakers are right about things, they don’t know everything.

Verg is a good example because while he got Ridley, Simon and three of the Brawl cuts, he didn’t get every single veteran ever nor any of the Echo Fighters.

Loz saying we’re not getting a specific thing means nothing.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Have I missed something about Loz? I thought he lost his credibility, but people still seem to bring him up a lot
He never lost it. People criticise him for nuking his gamefaqs account and deleting a few Twitter posts though. But that's all he did. He never baited his leaks

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
You ever get that feeling where you're so used to seeing prediction lists, your eyes just glaze over them like they're not even there?
Yep. Basically every list is Geno, Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, Banjo, and Incineroar. Oh, and don't forget the Shadow, Isabelle, and Ken are echoes!!!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
People who aren't attracted to muscular women are cowards, get over yourselves and see the light.

Zero Suit Samus is extremely hot because she finally went back to her classic Amazonian physique from her classic games, like she should have been all along imo. She looks like an athlete who can break me, which is how I've always envisioned her.

Calling her "wrong" or "ugly" cuz you don't CORRECTLY fantasize about muscular women stepping on you with the heel of their foot and calling you garbage the whole time are factually incorrect.

And if you're concerned a character doesn't look "sexy" enough...c'mon, there's an entire world of R34 out there, just get off using that. Lots of artists still draw Barbie Samus, so just look around if you really "need" it.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

That's....Not Loz. This is also a response to papagenos papagenos because I've been seeing it a lot and have been trying to avoid talking about it. Loz is on a private discord server on a different name. He doesn't leak info right now. He responded to someone today about this silly leak. Its not him.

And please don't pm me for the link. I can provide screenshots of people want, but I'm not making the discord public.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I severely doubt Simon was a top ballot pick
Think you're making two mistakes here.

1. Underselling Simon. He's no Geno but his name likely did come up on the ballot at the very least.
2. Krystal, Ashly, Bomberman, and other chars who were also pretty popular on the ballot have already been deconfirmed, and I do imagine several of them were higher than Simon like you say, so being high on the ballot isn't what's necessarily a deciding factor

The way I see it, the pool of characters they are considering are those on the ballot, with very very few being outliers with understandable reasons like Ritcher

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
What really are the realistic chances of Rayman? He only ever got a trophy, not a AT or a costume.

How'd he do on the ballot? What's the relationship with Ubisoft right now?

He's probably the char I'm pulling the hardest for but I simultaneously think he's impossible for some reason
I think Rayman has a good chance. Especially with Mario + Rabbids and That Starfox & Starlink crossover. so Ubisoft has a pretty good chance seeing all the Nintendo cross overs in their games

D

Deleted member

IMO what'll make or break the leaks we have now is whether or not Skull Kid is in and the Pokemon rep is Incineroar.

I have a feeling there's gonna be chaos if neither of those things happen...

SonicMario

Smash Master
SMT rep, Tails, Akuma and Steve are never evers
Excuse me? Tails a "Never ever"?

You do realize he got a Mii costume that thus far has proven to be fruitful for some of our newcomers and/or they at least got an upgraded role. (And funnily enough Shadow didn't get one, though I certainly don't think that means Tails is more likely then Shadow)

I get still doubting Tails being playable. But a "Never ever" at this point? The only reason he's not as high up as Shadow in the expectations is because the goalposts of "More then one 3rd party franchise reps can't happen" has moved to "They can happen but they can only be echoes" after Richter's inclusion. And if that's broken at any point in this game's lifetime then Tails has a good shot.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
People who aren't attracted to muscular women are cowards, get over yourselves and see the light.

Zero Suit Samus is extremely hot because she finally went back to her classic Amazonian physique from her classic games, like she should have been all along imo. She looks like an athlete who can break me, which is how I've always envisioned her.

Calling her "wrong" or "ugly" cuz you don't CORRECTLY fantasize about muscular women stepping on you with the heel of their foot and calling you garbage the whole time are factually incorrect.

And if you're concerned a character doesn't look "sexy" enough...c'mon, there's an entire world of R34 out there, just get off using that. Lots of artists still draw Barbie Samus, so just look around if you really "need" it.
#bestofbothworlds. But enough about that.

Attachments

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894

What even is this post :laugh:

I think Rayman has a good chance. Especially with Mario + Rabbids and That Starfox & Starlink crossover. so Ubisoft has a pretty good chance seeing all the Nintendo cross overs in their games
With the rabbids game being so recent, rayman has to be in the game in some form, even if it's just an AT

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
IMO what'll make or break the leaks we have now is whether or not Skull Kid is in and the Pokemon rep is Incineroar.

I have a feeling there's gonna be chaos if neither of those things happen...
I think what makes or breaks leaks now is the character select screen.

If you don’t bother showing it in your leak at all, then you’re a phony.

The way characters are ordered would be such a good way to test a leak’s credibility since unique characters are orders by reveal time.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Think you're making two mistakes here.

1. Underselling Simon. He's no Geno but his name likely did come up on the ballot at the very least.
2. Krystal, Ashly, Bomberman, and other chars who were also pretty popular on the ballot have already been deconfirmed, and I do imagine several of them were higher than Simon like you say, so being high on the ballot isn't what's necessarily a deciding factor

The way I see it, the pool of characters they are considering are those on the ballot, with very very few being outliers with understandable reasons like Ritcher

Of course, none of them are guaranteed, especially with what you said about the others and their fate in the game. I personally only think 1 or 2 of those 5 characters may even make it into the game (including DLC). Some of them may end up as ATs, but these are probably the "safest" guesses people can make now, even if they aren't guaranteed.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That sounds more like the Rabbids have a better shot than Rayman. :p

Also, is that a monkey with a green bowtie smoking a blunt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom