• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I'm still bummed at how boring Sonic's moveset is. They could have given him so many different moves but its just all variations of spinning.
Sakurai-san did say in an interview that if Sonic was based on his more modern appearances his moveset would be different. It got me really curious.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Raiden literally can't be an echo though, at least not like that, there are a grand total of 0 katana users in Smash.
I still find that odd. The two biggest likely choices for katana users are ATs yet again, and Kat/Ana are still AWOL. Does Sakurai prefer Western swords that much?

Yes.
It is time the real Black Knight came to show these punks that you don't need mobility to be good.
View attachment 160963
zelgius? who the hell is that?
Sadly, Guts doesn't have more chances than Goku or Shrek. Heck, I don't think he ever had a Nintendo-published game. Still good taste tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Really thought that Zack Fair/Raiden pic was a real reveal for a sec. Just one more day til September....then hopefully 2 weeks minimum to the next Direct.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Wait, has anyone seen this?

Somewhat useful, and I think we all can learn something from this about Squad Strike, assuming you all haven't seen this already.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
As much sense as Zack makes, given that FF still only has two songs and we can't even have an english VA for Cloud, it sounds like Square is being pretty damn stingy. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything else FF related.
Only just realized, Zack looks like an action figure. The elbows. They look sectioned.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Squad Strike being just 1 battle is awesome, but do we know if we can also swap characters like in MvC? That would be the cherry on top, but if not this mode is already awesome.

Untouch

Smash Master
Squad Strike being just 1 battle is awesome, but do we know if we can also swap characters like in MvC? That would be the cherry on top, but if not this mode is already awesome.
I don't think you can, it sounds to me that it's like KoF instead.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Not really. Just swapping out when a character is defeated.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Honestly.

Down B could have easily been Blue Tornado from sonic heroes or the bounce brace from SA2
Nah, Down B should definitely be kept as Spin Dash. It makes the most sense, and is how the Spin Dash actually works in Sonic games.

Side B is the one they should change. Maybe Boost, or Wisp Laser, or Light Speed Dash, or something.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
As much sense as Zack makes, given that FF still only has two songs and we can't even have an english VA for Cloud, it sounds like Square is being pretty damn stingy. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything else FF related.
To be fair, neither of those have anything to do with Square, as far as we know. Nobuo Uematsu owns the rights to FF music, and Cloud's English actor is union-based while Smash is a non-union project.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Nah, Down B should definitely be kept as Spin Dash. It makes the most sense, and is how the Spin Dash actually works in Sonic games.

Side B is the one they should change. Maybe Boost, or Wisp Laser, or Light Speed Dash, or something.
Like what SSF2 did to him maybe? I could see that working.

Untouch

Smash Master
If the smash community does somehow manage to not be stubborn and adopt this, I cannot wait until the echo character arguments.

D

Deleted member

When was the August leak, the 8th? Maybe I can hold out hope that a September leak will be somewhere around the 12th or something.

If the smash community does somehow manage to not be stubborn and adopt this, I cannot wait until the echo character arguments.
Aside from what actually constitutes an Echo, I think the community has pretty much accepted them at this point. It's only if one comes around and is no way near the same as, or even similar to, the current Echos that people would be up in arms.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm still bummed at how boring Sonic's moveset is. They could have given him so many different moves but its just all variations of spinning.
As a Sonic main I can tell you the purposes of at the very least the two spin dashes is for mix-ups. Savvy players will understand which is which, but part of Sonic's gameplan is to confuse/mindgame the opponent.

I've always been fine with Sonic's moveset even if I wished it at least took a few more cues from Sonic Battle for the moveset. But I understand why some may feel it's kind of boring.

Not going to stop me from him being my most used character for the 3rd (4th if you count 3DS as it's own game) game in a row though. (Unless Tails gets in, he's literally the only character that could dethrone Sonic for my most used)

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
We could always just pick Pokémon Trainer, eh?
True. Now I need to know if it's possible to choose the same character multiple times, either on the same team on both sides. On both sides, it probably would work, but not on the same team.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's only if one comes around and is no way near the same as, or even similar to, the current Echos that people would be up in arms.
I doubt it.
I'm pretty sure those complaints would be silenced with the typical "It's just a bonus" and "They wouldn't have gotten in otherwise." talk.
Has anyone mentioned this 4chan post at all?
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/429823903

I don't know if this is real or not, but I think it's worth discussing.
This is not even a leak. Seriously, do some critical thinking, what kind of leak leaks the high-res renders and alt colors of an entire character.

This is a fan made pallet swap made for funsies.
Speaking of which, @Venus of the Desert Bloom you should put this in your pallet swap thread

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I doubt it.
I'm pretty sure those complaints would be silenced with the typical "It's just a bonus" and "They wouldn't have gotten in otherwise." talk.
Maybe here, sure, but that's because this is the most civil forum regarding Smash Ultimate right now. You have any idea what a forum like Gamefaqs would look like after something like that? lol.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Like what SSF2 did to him maybe? I could see that working.
I dunno what SSF did, but thinking about it, I think Wisp Laser would be a pretty cool Side B.
If Sonic uses it, he shoots forward super fast, but if you hold down the button, you can aim it, and it bounces off walls, floors, and ceilings.
It'd be like R.O.B.'s Laser, but a physical attack instead of a projectile.

ChaosSharpedo

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChaosSharpedo
Switch FC
SW-8187-0600-4038
I doubt it.

This is literally not even a leak. Seriously, do some critical thinking, what kind of leak leaks the high-res renders and alt colors of an entire character.

This is a fan made pallet swap made for funsies.
Speaking of which, @Venus of the Desert Bloom you should put this in your pallet swap thread
Well I didn't know that ok.
Sorry........

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
The first is literally Elma's XCX render...
Well....boredom permits me to compare and contrast. I’ll scream really loud if I find anything. But....then I guess I’ll type it out so you know it happened.

Edit: Nope. Nothing different at all.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I guess we're going to get more image leaks now... Which is fine by me because I know they're going to be of generic anime characters that will be easily photoshopped instead of more complex ones.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

As long as he has one of them changed I good tbh. Idk about boost. Light dash might be cool it might function like Pac-man's dot trail but with rings

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
That's literally her XCX render. I'm pretty sure it's just an Elma fan creating hypothetical alt colors for her if she gets in Smash.
Yeah. It is. I just compared it to others, looking for even slight deviations and it is 1 for 1, no one should be alarmed by it at all.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Honestly.

Down B could have easily been Blue Tornado from sonic heroes or the bounce brace from SA2
Sonic doesn’t need a bounce bracelet, the technique itself is called the Bound Jump or Bounce Jump and it appears in multiple Sonic games starting with 3.

In games like 3&K, Generations or Mania you need a Bubble Shield, SA2 and 06 requires the bracelet and in games like Advance 2, Battle, Advance 3 and Lost World it’s just a regular part of Sonic’s move pool.

Light Speed Dash as a side b could be neat. If you wanted to give Sonic a projectile you could go for the Sonic Wave from Battle.

D

Deleted member

Seeing as how other people are posting their predictions and we probably aren't too far away from knowing the full-roster, I guess there's no better time to make my final predictions:

I believe there are three newcomers left for the base game:

Newcomers:

1. Geno (The timing and circumstances just seem right. Sakurai's confirmed he's taken character suggestions from the ballot and has stated in the past that he's wanted to put him in the games. Not to mention the Mii costume got special attention when it was shown off back in Wii U with the acknowledgement that Geno was popular. I'm gonna be a little surprised if it doesn't happen at this point.)

2. Incineroar (I may not like him, but it'd be silly to not consider him at this point. Game Freak is marketing him like no tomorrow and he has an easily realized moveset. He's the newcomer I feel most confident about on this list.)

3. Elma (A choice that I know has some popularity, but I do feel the majority are sleeping on. Xenoblade X was pretty well received, and Rex and Pyra's unfortunate timing kinda take them out of the running for base game IMO. If there's a Xenoblade character coming, I think Elma is the most likely choice, especially with the amazing moveset opportunity.)

Echos:

I've already made a recent prediction on Echos, but I'll lower my prediction of five to four and maybe narrow my ideas down a bit:

1. Isabelle [Villager] (Probably one of the most likely Echo choices we have next to Ken ATM. She's basically become the Animal Crossing mascot and is well beloved by its community. Making her an Echo of Villager makes perfect sense and adds another character to one of Nintendo's biggest franchises.)

2. Shadow [Sonic] (I feel pretty confident about this one. It'd more surprising it took so long for another Sonic character to show up, honestly. I also have a sneaking suspicion that if he does happen, it'd probably be thanks to the ballot; I imagine he probably placed decently on it.)

3. Ken [Ryu] (Let's be real, with all the Ken remixes we now have and him being the face of fighting game clones, he's probably the only character in speculation right now that's a near lock. Which is a shame, because I do not like the idea at all, lol. Would much rather have Akuma.)

4. Dark Meta Knight (I wanted to throw an out there choice on here for fun. I'm 100% positive this is not gonna happen, no matter how much I want it to. :( )

I also believe we have seen the final stage count, and I believe Spirits will be an expanded Melee adventure mode with levels themed around Nintendo locations. If there is a story, there won't be SSE cutscenes; I believe they'll do what Mario Tennis Aces did and use the character models and basic text boxes, which is better than nothing IMO.

I'll revisit this after the final batch of info comes to see what I did and didn't get right. Can't wait to inevitably be completely wrong and get nothing right. :)

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Pretty much what StormC said, it's due to Nobou Uematsu owning the rights to his music and Steve Burton, Cloud's VA, being union based and not wanting to go uncredited like Pit & Palutena's VAs. He even has to be paid for the right to use archived audio based on Union Rules and since Nintendo isn't SE, they can't just hire a non-Union replacement like with Magnus (Kid Icarus) from last game.

kylexv

Smash Master
Don’t take it too harshly. They’ve been here dealing with fake leaks for way too long. They just no have patience for them anymore. Lol.
Not to mention that everything that's covered on here usually has one or two people 5-10 pages later reposting it asking if we've looked at it yet.
Every single day.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Pretty much what StormC said, it's due to Nobou Uematsu owning the rights to his music and Steve Burton, Cloud's VA, being union based and not wanting to go uncredited like Pit & Palutena's VAs. He even has to be paid for the right to use archived audio based on Union Rules and since Nintendo isn't SE, they can't just hire a non-Union replacement like with Magnus (Kid Icarus) from last game.
Guess Sephiroth would be easier....could just rehire Lance Bass. Hahaha

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Newcomer predictions
1) Mumbo Jumbo - One of the major characters from the "Banjo Kazooie" games. Banjo Kazooie characters were highly requested in the ballot
2) Mallow - Popular character from Mario RPG. Sakurai and Square were able to secure a deal
3) Torracat - One of Ash's main Pokemon in the anime series.
4) Matthew - The main character of the newest Golden Sun games. Had more relevancy than other requested characters

Echo Fighters
5) Amy - A hedgehog like Sonic, his moves go flawlessly with her. Slight change, uses the PikoPiko Hammer for Smashes.
6) Dan - A weaker version of Ryu. Has shorter range on Hadouken
7) Rosetti - Villager clone. Uses a pickaxe instead of a regular axe.
8) Lanky Kong - It was a STRETCH to make him a DK clone, but they were able to pull it off.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Newcomer predictions
1) Mumbo Jumbo - One of the major characters from the "Banjo Kazooie" games. Banjo Kazooie characters were highly requested in the ballot
2) Mallow - Popular character from Mario RPG. Sakurai and Square were able to secure a deal
3) Torracat - One of Ash's main Pokemon in the anime series.
4) Matthew - The main character of the newest Golden Sun games. Had more relevancy than other requested characters

Echo Fighters
5) Amy - A hedgehog like Sonic, his moves go flawlessly with her. Slight change, uses the PikoPiko Hammer for Smashes.
6) Dan - A weaker version of Ryu. Has shorter range on Hadouken
7) Rosetti - Villager clone. Uses a pickaxe instead of a regular axe.
8) Lanky Kong - It was a STRETCH to make him a DK clone, but they were able to pull it off.
Mumbo Jumbo, for I don’t know what reason, would make me sweat pure ecstacy.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I have been seeing Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven rep quite frequently... I personally do not get it. Is there something about the characters that I am missing. Anyone want to help me understand the demand that isn't simply "Cause I want a Rhythm Heaven rep", or that it was previously cut content?

I personally think (And i apologize in advance if this hurts anybody), that they would work very well as assist trophies by doing rhythm based attacks from their respective rhythm game. I'd love to hear how others could conceptualize them as a fighter. I just can't
Extremely late on this, so I'm very sorry if I got :ultgreninja:'d.
A lot of people, myself included, believe that the Chorus Kids or a general RH rep was cut from the base game, probably due to system limitations. Especially if it was the Chrous Kids.
They have a Smash Run enemy by way of the Sneaky Spirits, (like the Ice Climbers had the Polar Bear despite not being in the game because of system limitations), also had more trophies in the game than any other minor series, and through data mining found there was an RH series icon included with the playable characters section.
There's also the Gematsu leak, from what we found out and now know is true. So that caused them to get a wave of popularity for Smash.
Due to all of this, I find them very likely for Smash Bros. moreso than other characters, especially given Sakurai is returning to former ideas despite not many discussing their potential.
I personally also would find them a neat character as they could be a combo heavy character by way of using an overlayed beat or visual notes as a rhythm based moveset.
But outside of that, go check some of the support threads if you want to know more outside of just my explanation and ideas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom