• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The BlazBlue Cross-Tag Battle comparison also really doesn't work, as that game is crossing over famous ArcSys fighting games (plus RWBY as they want to appeal to Western Audiences for fighting game tournaments and RWBY is western). Joker hasn't been in a famous ArcSys fighting game (yet), so he wasn't added to Cross-Tag. It'd also be a bit of a weird marketing move to have a Persona 5 Arena character in Cross-Tag before Persona 5 Arena is announced to exist.
Also doesn't work, because that game is created with 90% reused assets from other games, making it extraordinarily easy to add characters from the other crossover components and why the RWBY characters are so little.

Had it been Persona 3 Arena or Persona 5 Arena or whatever that got turned into an anime fighter at the exact time, you can bet those would've been represented instead.
It's really a matter of perfect timing more than anything else.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Me, all I want are three felines:

Blaze the Cat, and...

Kat, and Dusty from Gravity Rush.

Edit the picks were bigger than I thought.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Or...

I get that the butterfly is the wrong color, but I'm still making the joke, dammit.

EDIT: The image actually disappeared from the post for whatever reason, so here's a new one.
EDIT 2: Except this one's now broken....lovely.
The site's wonky with images lately, about two thirds of my icons don't work. Glad to see someone came to the same conclusion as me though.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
How you liking the 10,000 subscribers? Must feel good, man.

I do have a question as a fellow subscriber. Do you have any plans for the channel once the leaking season is over?
thank you! yeah hitting 10k was crazy!

I dont want to take up space here but yeah I plan on continuing the channel after smash speculation, theres always DLC speculation, other nintendo stuff/video game news to make videos about (pokemon speculation or future mario/zelda/metroid game speculation etc...), and i'll probably start doing some other stuff like lets plays or gaming/character history videos or reviewing new nintendo stuff. hoenstly im always pretty up to date with whatever is happening with nintendo and gaming so im happy to do whatever people want to watch, ill probably start adding some non-smash focused content in the coming months and transition a bit to other things before ultimate is out. but for now smash is my focus so thats generally what ill be talking about up until release.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Personally I'm very, very excited or Squad Strike. It will provide an amazing way to keep the game feeling fresh.

As for competitive play, I think whether or not it should become tournament standard hinges on an option to chose duplicate characters.
If you can chose the same character 3 times, I see no reason why it shouldn't be. That would allow people who have a dedicated main to play the way they want to. Without that option, I'm a little iffy on it being standard. It seems unfair to people who main complex characters who require a lot of practice.

Honestly though, I don't really care what the competitive scene does with it. I personally can't see the mechanic impacting my viewing experience too terribly much.
I'm just super excited to play this mode.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Hopefully online has more than for fun and for glory so we aren't stuck playing these cool modes offline.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think if you can pick the same character 3 times and the community decides that we should still stick to 1v1, its hopeless.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Does it even matter if the only 3 characters that are going to be picked for Squad Strike are Bayonetta, Jeanne, and Rosa?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Or...

I get that the butterfly is the wrong color, but I'm still making the joke, dammit.

EDIT: The image actually disappeared from the post for whatever reason, so here's a new one.
EDIT 2: Except this one's now broken....lovely.
EDIT 3: Here's a new new pic.
It allows me to see it when I reply. So, that’s neat.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Squad Strike is side event pure and simple. It won't replace crew battles and let's be honest, the FGC is very stubborn.

Such an astronomical change to the basic gameplay of Smash is out of the question.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
All i want to know is how all star is gonna work. Are we gonna really have to go through 70+ characters on hard mode with every character to unlock something? I'm a completionist but that may be too much even for me

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Squad Strike is side event pure and simple. It won't replace crew battles and let's be honest, the FGC is very stubborn.
I still wanna know, who the hell is really in charge of the Smash part of FGC? Because **** what they think they should do, crew battles are sweet.

All i want to know is how all star is gonna work. Are we gonna really have to go through 70+ characters on hard mode with every character to unlock something? I'm a completionist but that may be too much even for me
Considering we're only starting out with 8, and All-Star is given to you from the start, then that means you really only have 7 people to fight and it gradually increases as you unlock more fighters. Considering Classic Mode has its own unique path per character, I think that's good enough to justify having to do it 70+ times, even if some Echoes are probably going to be the same but with maybe slightly different titles

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's been mentioned earlier but kind of brushed under the rug that Squad Strike is confirmed to function like PM All Star mode. To me this is something really interesting and I'd like to discuss it.

My first question is whether or not people expect / want to see this catch on as an event. I've seen two interesting opposing points of view:

1) Squad Strike will lead to an increase in top players pulling out pocket characters, thereby increasing character diversity.

2) Squad Strike will result in dedicated mains choosing easy top tiers to pad out their roster, thereby decreasing character diversity.

Both are interesting points worth discussing.

Secondly, if this did become standard, who would you expect to use? I'd assume 3v3 but feel free to go 5.

I would go with :ultkrool::ultrob::ulticeclimbers: most likely, though ICs could be switched out if I find another character particularly interesting.
I'm a casual player, so I pick characters I just like. For 3v3, I'd go with :ultpokemontrainer::ultbowserjr::ultkrool:, and for 5v5 I would add :ultlink::ultgnw: and have every game represented, or have :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman: swapped in for more nostalgia. :ultkrool: is tentative depending on how Ultimate's roster eventually turns out.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Considering we're only starting out with 8, and All-Star is given to you from the start, then that means you really only have 7 people to fight and it gradually increases as you unlock more fighters. Considering Classic Mode has its own unique path per character, I think that's good enough to justify having to do it 70+ times, even if some Echoes are probably going to be the same but with maybe slightly different titles
Yeah classic looks actually fun this time. I'm going to have to remember to play all star straight away then so I don't unlock loads of characters and make it harder :laugh:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Im starting to regret being happy for Shadow in Ultimate. Sonic already is annoying. I don't want to fight another char spin dashing all over me in a SS match

Untouch

Smash Master
My main argument for Squad Strike is this.
If this was the standard mode in all smash games like KoF, but then Ultimate rolls around and adds a 1v1 mode, would the community decided to only play on the 1v1 mode from now on?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Im starting to regret being happy for Shadow in Ultimate. Sonic already is annoying. I don't want to fight another char spin dashing all over me in a SS match
As an Ike main, I move that we cut all small fast animals from the roster as well as all athletic kick women.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
On one hand, not making it worth anything would be disappointing... on the other hand... you'd get the F-Zero GX affect.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I hope that the fighters are ordered by Smash appearance.
It bothered me fighting characters in chronological order and then getting Alph and the Koopalings mixed in with all the Gamecube characters.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
As an Ike main, I move that we cut all small fast animals from the roster as well as all athletic kick women.
Playing Ike vs Sonic is a chore. I'm just glad his neutral B takes more time to execute

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'm still bummed at how boring Sonic's moveset is. They could have given him so many different moves but its just all variations of spinning.

StormC

Smash Hero

I hate this tweet because at first glance I almost thought that pic was from the game.
Damn, for a second I got my hopes up with Zack.

Raiden literally can't be an echo though, at least not like that, there are a grand total of 0 katana users in Smash.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yes.
It is time the real Black Knight came to show these punks that you don't need mobility to be good.
Untitled.png

zelgius? who the hell is that?

Buzzwole

Smash Ace

I hate this tweet because at first glance I almost thought that pic was from the game.
As much sense as Zack makes, given that FF still only has two songs and we can't even have an english VA for Cloud, it sounds like Square is being pretty damn stingy. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything else FF related.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm still bummed at how boring Sonic's moveset is. They could have given him so many different moves but its just all variations of spinning.
Honestly.

Down B could have easily been Blue Tornado from sonic heroes or the bounce brace from SA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom