• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Once again, conversation I wish was happening on threads I started ends up here where it will be lost to the ages.

https://smashboards.com/threads/subcons-egg-slinger-birdo-support.447550/
Sorry dude; that's about all that can be said for it.
I'll go join the conversation! I still think it is ludicrous for leaks to be expected to be contained and followed in this *general discussion* thread.

But thats fine. Government doesnt have to make sense :ultduckhunt:
Birdo could work, only the B move would need changing. Instead of a tongue, Birdo inhales like Kirby, or maybe even like the Blunderbuss. Once she inhales someone, theyre spit out in an egg forward instead of laid in an egg backwards.
Yes! Blunderbuss as a move. But they would have to take away soo much from Yoshi- any egg move. So, his specials, really.
I think Yoshi's story would be perfectly represented with Yoshi, Birdo Echo, baby mario and luigi team as a unique character (sub other baby pairs we never actually saw), and then Poochi and Stork assists with a Kamek boss. This is the full Yoshi experience for which I've been waiting (I used to want Kamek as a character but I no longer feel it is correct).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
People don't really talk about Yoshi anything unless I'm around...

Birdo is definitely a possibility even though I'm rooting for a different Yoshi echo...
Birdo as Yoshi's Echo Fighter? I don't buy it, especially considering that it's not even a Yoshi's Island character.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly, Birdo could work pretty well as a Yoshi echo. She's not a Yoshi's Island character, yeah, but just give her something like Dedede's Neutral B and it could work.

Don't see it happening, but still.

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
One problem with that Banjo leak is... why is he snarling?

That's like... antithetical to his character, and is completely different to all of the other Smash renders. Seriously, Banjo looks mad in that image, while I don't think a single one of the Ultimate Renders have that kind of emotion in them (they're all either happy or neutral).

Yeah... this.
Snarling is much more realistic behaviour for a bear, though, amirite? ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Actually... speaking of Dark Samus and Ridley, there was a push for Sylux, though it was more due to fans believing they couldn't have Ridley, so they pushed for an alternative.

In Brawl, the Kirby series was considered complete in terms of character representation with :kirby2::metaknight::dedede:, do Metroid fans consider Metroid "complete" with :ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:? (I'm talking in terms of the characters, not the designs they use)

Well, don't have an old Switch; because I don't have a switch at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (yet)

Looks like I'd have to wait for an exploit like the Wii U Internet Browser one later down the road if I ever wanted to do any modding.

Modders always find workarounds. XD They're like Hydra.
The push for Sylux was always the most stupid thing(even more than the remember me guy from OM, whatever his name was). Yes, a character from one spin-off game on the DS is going to get in before any other Metroid character. The whole thing was always based around on "but he's GOING TO BE relevant"

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Birdo as Yoshi's Echo Fighter? I don't buy it, especially considering that it's not even a Yoshi's Island character.
Birdo has a similar thing going with egg-based attacks, a similar design, and always being paired up with yoshi in the spinoffs, it makes sense.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The push for Sylux was always the most stupid thing(even more than the remember me guy from OM, whatever his name was). Yes, a character from one spin-off game on the DS is going to get in before any other Metroid character. The whole thing was always based around on "but he's GOING TO BE relevant"
People were really desperate for another Metroid character, I guess.

Just like a new character for Zelda isn't THAT requested, now that pre-existing characters got new designs and we got Young Link back.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Birdo has a similar thing going with egg-based attacks, a similar design, and always being paired up with yoshi in the spinoffs, it makes sense.
Still, when you look at all the confirmed Echo Fighters so far, they all have one thing in common; they all mimic a fighter from the same franchise as them.

KMDP

Smash Legend
That's part of why I think it's fake. But then again, Mario is perpetually pissed in Smash, and Banjo does have a few "angry" official renders from Rare.
"Mario is perpetually pissed in Smash"
Not anymore, he ain't.
Kind of reminds me of a certain Gen III Starter...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Still, when you look at all the confirmed Echo Fighters so far, they all have one thing in common; they all mimic a fighter from the same franchise as them.
So far, that is. Birdo is one of the few cross-series echoes that makes sense, especially considering Yoshi is a Mario character in all but name.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi is considered a Mario character despite his different icon though.
See: Smash 4's CSS where Yoshi is in the middle of the Mario characters.
"Mario is perpetually pissed in Smash"
Not anymore, he ain't.

Kind of reminds me of a certain Gen III Starter...
If this is about Sceptile, it's still a highly popular Pokemon and has always been.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So far, that is. Birdo is one of the few cross-series echoes that makes sense, especially considering Yoshi is a Mario character in all but name.
It would still be a very awkward dilemma though, especially in the scenario that the roster gets sorted by series; in that situation, Yoshi would most likely be placed in between Ridley and Kirby.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It would still be a very awkward dilemma though, especially in the scenario that the roster gets sorted by series; in that situation, Yoshi would most likely be placed in between Ridley and Kirby.
That more than likely won't even be an option. If it was, why wouldn't they say so when they showed you can choose to stack the echoes?

KMDP

Smash Legend
If this is about Sceptile, it's still a highly popular Pokemon and has always been.
That's why I said "kind of".

Sceptile's a popular Pokémon yes, but the Smash 4 push was mainly motivated by fulfilling an arbitrary quota than focusing on it's actual merits.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Normally I'd be opposed to cross-series echo fighters, but Yoshi's Island is an exception because it's just as much a spin off as it is its own franchise. Yoshi's Island is a prequel to the Mario series and even features the plumber himself.

I'm not even sure if I'd consider it "cross-series" because the two games are so intertwined. Isn't Yoshi's Island even called "Super Mario World 2"?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
People are going to start pushing Sylux for dlc once we start seeing Metroid Prime 4

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yoshi is considered a Mario character despite his different icon though.
See: Smash 4's CSS where Yoshi is in the middle of the Mario characters.
Smash Ultimate follows a completely different trend with how it sorts its roster though. You either sort the roster by debut order, or by series.

D

Deleted member

Man, these boards really leap when I go to bed. So...last I heard there was a potential vid from the horrible Agnes render leaker. Since I dont see anyone discussing it, am I safe to assume that's been debunked? Moreso than it already was, I mean.

What's the new hotness today?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Man, these boards really leap when I go to bed. So...last I heard there was a potential vid from the horrible Agnes render leaker. Since I dont see anyone discussing it, am I safe to assume that's been debunked? Moreso than it already was, I mean.

What's the new hotness today?
Well today's character is :ultwolf:. He puts his sharp claws to good use in wild attacks.

D

Deleted member

That's why I said "kind of".

Sceptile's a popular Pokémon yes, but the Smash 4 push was mainly motivated by fulfilling an arbitrary quota than focusing on it's actual merits.
It always felt more like an excuse to push for its support and make it feel "likely". I'd still love to have Sceptile as it's my favorite Gen 3 starter, I just don't see it ever happening.
People are going to start pushing Sylux for dlc once we start seeing Metroid Prime 4
I'd rather have Kraid first
Smash Ultimate follows a completely different trend with how it sorts its roster though. You either sort the roster by debut order, or by series.
What? No, it's only by debut order. And Smash 4 is ordered by series, which is exactly why Yoshi is between Bowser and Bowser Jr. in Smash 4.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Actually I don't think saying a render is too simialr to a previous render means anything, if that makes sense. For example Simon's is a call back to the NES game cover. Maybe Banjo's could be a call back to an official render, especially since it would be such a big deal for him to make his return.

Just saying that a render that's in the same pose might not necessarily be a point against it. I'm sticking to my oppinion about how angry he looks though lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well today's character is :ultwolf:. He puts his sharp claws to good use in wild attacks.
Awesome. Pretty sure you know what I meant, though lol. What leak is the new 'omg, is it true?!' thing being discussed. I did like Wolf in Brawl though...should be fun to play as again. I preferred him to Fox & Falco.

EDIT: So there's a banjo render floating around now? Nice to see the render leaks are becoming more common and we seem to be moving away from Text leaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That more than likely won't even be an option. If it was, why wouldn't they say so when they showed you can choose to stack the echoes?
While I agree it would've made more sense to show it off then if it already existed, I don't think it's completely off the table yet. The option to reorder the CSS likely isn't a huge ordeal. Wouldn't suprise me if they randomly dropped that in a future wave of info, possibly once the last character is revealed.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So that final smash graphic where it zooms up on the characters face, I saw that when the yellow Inkling did that, it showed the yellow Inkling in the close up. Is this consistent with other swaps for characters that are not as drastic as the Inklings?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
For those saying by series isn't an option, it is on the site. And I took that to speculate that we will get the option to do both, especially since we are be given custom CSS options already (the echo stacking). I can see it being shown in the direct that reveals all characters.

I personally really hope we get that as an aoption, much perfer my characters organized by series.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Really? Where'd you see it sorted by series?
Mostly a guess, based on how the Smash Bros. website gives you the option to sort the roster. It might not happen though.

What? No, it's only by debut order. And Smash 4 is ordered by series, which is exactly why Yoshi is between Bowser and Bowser Jr. in Smash 4.
Smash 3DS / Wii U never truly sorted fighters by series though, since the DLC fighters were positioned in between Sonic and the Mii Fighters. And of course, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina were not placed next to their respective franchises as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really hope series order is a thing because Smash debut order is probably the most stupid design choice in this game.
Even if you played past Smash games, unless you followed and remember the order of reveals, it's just a bungled mess with no cohesion to it, I can just imagine me playing it with my friends and no one knowing where anything is. And besides, it always felt nice to look at a series all filled with a bunch of characters and I wanna see that with Fire Emblem and Metroid this time.

If not, at least give us an option to manually organize it

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This isn't about Disney, this is about Netflix. They don't keep any of the movies you want there on there forever. And if you have no internet available you can't access it.

My point is that I don't want my classic games only available to me when Nintendo decides they are available to me, Netflix style. I want them on my system forever. Not attatched to an online service. Right there on my system so I can play it anytime and anywhere.
This is why I’m glad I never sold my Wii and Wii U. I have more than 300 games combined downloaded on both systems.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
My god, you're right...

Speaking of that game...
If it wasn't obvious enough, I've been on a bit of a TFS binge lately...
Ah Team Four Star clips...as I wait for episode 60

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Mostly a guess, based on how the Smash Bros. website gives you the option to sort the roster. It might not happen though.

Smash 3DS / Wii U never truly sorted fighters by series though, since the DLC fighters were positioned in between Sonic and the Mii Fighters. And of course, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina were not placed next to their respective franchises as well.
DLC and the clones were exceptions, not the rule.
You can't seriously look at Smash 4 and tell me it isn't organized by series.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Birdo could work, only the B move would need changing. Instead of a tongue, Birdo inhales like Kirby, or maybe even like the Blunderbuss. Once she inhales someone, theyre spit out in an egg forward instead of laid in an egg backwards.

Im not saying thsi is real, but the in game render could just be very well based on an existing render, like Simon and Richter.
While I'd agree, I would think if Banjo's render is based on anything, it would be the original box art. Like (how I think) Simon's render/pose is based on his original box art.

EDIT:
One problem with that Banjo leak is... why is he snarling?

That's like... antithetical to his character, and is completely different to all of the other Smash renders. Seriously, Banjo looks mad in that image, while I don't think a single one of the Ultimate Renders have that kind of emotion in them (they're all either happy or neutral).

Yeah... this.
To be fair, I often notice something I've called "Smash face", where a character looks uncharacteristically "read for battle". While Mario in his official render doesn't look "angry" per-se--it's still a face I don't expect Mario to make in his typical games (and especially that Tournament Mode stare is funny because of how uncharacteristic it is). Sakurai has said that he does like to have some artistic liberties when working with characters. All that having been said, IGuessItsOver posting the comparison makes it an open-and-shut case for me--the differences are minor tweaks that could be made, when compared to the major similarities.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I really hope series order is a thing because Smash debut order is probably the most stupid design choice in this game.
Even if you played past Smash games, unless you followed and remember the order of reveals, it's just a bungled mess with no cohesion to it, I can just imagine me playing it with my friends and no one knowing where anything is. And besides, it always felt nice to look at a series all filled with a bunch of characters and I wanna see that with Fire Emblem and Metroid this time.

If not, at least give us an option to manually organize it
I can already see myself being the guide for all my friends telling them where to look for a character.

"Hey where's Lucario"

"Sometime after Captain Olimar, but if you see Villager you've gone too far"

Ordered by debut is literally only good for future dlc because they can just be tacked on at the end....but they did that anyway with the last game :/

Manual ordering would be amaziiiinnnnnggggg. I'd have so much fun with that **** lol

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm not even sure if I'd consider it "cross-series" because the two games are so intertwined. Isn't Yoshi's Island even called "Super Mario World 2"?
Brings up an interesting music point.

There’s a Mario song which is a “Super Mario World” medley.
There’s a Yoshi stage based on Super Mario World.

If we can only assign music by series, does that mean we don’t get the SMW song on the SMW stage? I wonder if the Yoshi songs will be considered Mario for things like these - or if there are a few cross-series songs possible (I know a lot of people want Gangplank Galleon on Pirate Ship)

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Guys i'm an industry insider and Sakurai has already began talks with western companies regarding Smash Bros DLC. He's personally attended meetings at Activision, Ubisoft, and Microsoft.

D

Deleted member

I can already see myself being the guide for all my friends telling them where to look for a character.

"Hey where's Lucario"

"Sometime after Captain Olimar, but if you see Villager you've gone too far"

Ordered by debut is literally only good for future dlc because they can just be tacked on at the end....but they did that anyway with the last game :/

Manual ordering would be amaziiiinnnnnggggg. I'd have so much fun with that **** lol
"Where's Chrom?"
"Inside Roy"
"W-what?"

Also, manual ordering would be incredibly fun and I'm disappointed 3DS didn't have it.
I'd probably do it by "order of likeliness to Marth" where Lucina is first and Marth is the last one.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Brings up an interesting music point.

There’s a Mario song which is a “Super Mario World” medley.
There’s a Yoshi stage based on Super Mario World.

If we can only assign music by series, does that mean we don’t get the SMW song on the SMW stage? I wonder if the Yoshi songs will be considered Mario for things like these - or if there are a few cross-series songs possible (I know a lot of people want Gangplank Galleon on Pirate Ship)
I don't know about Gangplank on Pirate Ship (make it happen Sakurai) but I could see them doing that with the Yoshi and Mario games, letting you use either on either stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom