• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah, even though Pok-keh-mon is technically the right way to pronounce it, Poke-ay-mon is pretty acceptable too. And Poke-ee-mon is so wrong in so many levels lol

But can't really blame people for pronouncing it that way, because Japanese written with alphabets... They're not the most intuitive tbh.
"POKEYMAN!?"
---
I was just thinking...

It's... ポケットモンスター
The main villains in Red and Green are ロケット団

ポケット
ロケット

Is "Team Rocket" a frickin' pun!?
R

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Then the message people should be pushing is for that free alternative and not about cloud saves, because that ended up being the construed message. I've seen lots of tweets and some videos in my recommended complaining about the cloud saves being paywalled when that isn't the problem to begin with.
I agree--I think the discourse is weakened by the extremes on both sides--those who blindly defend Nintendo, and those who can never be satisfied that their pie-in-the-sky needs aren't being met. I think, overall, Nintendo has a decent service that was implemented poorly. Their lack of transparency and inconsistent messaging has overshadowed what is a cheap, watered down version of what other consoles do. If Nintendo expands their classic line-up beyond NES titles, I think $20 a year is worth it alone. Otherwise, I have very little incentive to use the service, as is.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The "leaker" salvaged it by giving the bull explanation that it's due to being an early translation.

How did they weasel out of Rhythm Heaven using letters in its symbol when it's name is different everywhere? It's Rhythm Paradise where I am, for example.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Is Wolf the first character not to get a memories post on the Japanese site? Seems weird...
Not even, Pit also had that treatment.

I swear, Fox BETTER get his Memories article. It was already pretty absurd that Falco didn't get one, but Wolf? Didn't show off Zero, 64, or even screenshots of 2 on a SNES Mini.

I agree--I think the discourse is weakened by the extremes on both sides--those who blindly defend Nintendo, and those who can never be satisfied that their pie-in-the-sky needs aren't being met. I think, overall, Nintendo has a decent service that was implemented poorly. Their lack of transparency and inconsistent messaging has overshadowed what is a cheap, watered down version of what other consoles do. If Nintendo expands their classic line-up beyond NES titles, I think $20 a year is worth it alone. Otherwise, I have very little incentive to use the service, as is.
To be honest, I can't say that Playstation NOW is that much better, especially when some titles that are still on the PS3 also get rereleases on the PS4.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Imagine spending hours making 7 fake renders and then not even bothering to google a character and a series name.
The "free games" are subjective, I feel. I've spent a good year on PS Plus, and nothing was of interest. In regards to the whole expiration date, though, I do hope Nintendo doesn't do that exact same thing, but I wouldn't be surprised regardless.
Eh, it's free games, a lot of them we would certainly not buy but having a bunch of games available for free allows you to just download, try them and delete if you don't like, or just move on to the next thing when it's out. And if you do like them, hey, it was free.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm pretty sure Alolan Exeggutor is a pun of some kind (Dragon Fruit).
What I love about it is it's pokedex description in Moon.

"As it grew taller and taller, it outgrew its reliance on psychic powers, while within it awakened the power of the sleeping dragon."

This is just the most hilarious thing to me. All these other Gen 7 'mons and Alolan forms have such thought out lore personalities behind them while Exeggutor's explanation is pretty much "yeah he was actually a dragon the whole time, he just didn't know it yet 'cause he was too short".
Speaking of Dragons, my sister was honestly surprised when she found out I haven't seen Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid yet ('cause of Queztalcoatl). I still have yet to watch it. What can I say? I'm a simple man.
I haven't seen it either simply because I don't really watch anime much. I'm actually really picky about what TV shows I watch in general. But I know of it and am able to recognize a gif or screenshot of it, so there's that.
I’m just heartbroken because I think Ultimate is going to have a super long lifespan more akin to Brawl than Melee or 4 and I’m gonna be stuck with these designs of my favourite character I really don’t like the whole time. I know I can’t be the only one eyeing their main’s appearance in another game and thinking, “If only they looked like that in Ultimate...”
What's your thoughts on Dark Samus's design, by the way? One of the arguments I made for her back before she was revealed was that she'd give the hardcore fans who really didn't like Other M an alternative version to play as.

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace

"As it grew taller and taller, it outgrew its reliance on psychic powers, while within it awakened the power of the sleeping dragon."

This is just the most hilarious thing to me. All these other Gen 7 'mons and Alolan forms have such thought out lore personalities behind them while Exeggutor's explanation is pretty much "yeah he was actually a dragon the whole time, he just didn't know it yet 'cause he was too short".
I haven't seen it either simply because I don't really watch anime much. I'm actually really picky about what TV shows I watch in general. But I know of it and am able to recognize a gif or screenshot of it, so there's that.
What's your thoughts on Dark Samus's design, by the way? One of the arguments I made for her back before she was revealed was that she'd give the hardcore fans who really didn't like Other M an alternative version to play as.
That’s another reason this whole situation sucks for me, because it’s happened just as we finally get two of Samus’s most iconic enemies in the fight and both look fricking sweet! :( The speculation of a Dark ZSS is both amusing and disturbing :p

D

Deleted member

YOU SIR, HAVE ACTIVATED MY INNER SOUL SISTER CHURCH PRIEST, CAN I GET ANOTHER ONE FOR THE CHOIR, SIR?

This is honestly why I feel being a Nintendo fan sucks now more than ever in the past lmao. There are some of it that does lie on Nintendo - they have made a few boo-boos, THANK GOD not as worse as the Wii U and 3DS Eras - but MAN, a lot of it has to do with the semi-hardcore to hardcore fans.

Smash Ultimate having 70+ characters and Sakurai's life and blood put into this? Nah, where's Waluigi and Ashley at, fam?
The 3DS still getting good games to end off its life cycle like WarioWare Gold and Luigi's Mansion? WHY NOT SWITCH?
Games like DOOM (+ DOOM: Eternal!), L.A. Noire, NBA, and a plethora of 3rd party games we would've never gotten in the past on it and more to come? NOT ENOUGH, SEND DEATH THREATS.

I love Nintendo with all my heart, but I will no doubt **** on them when they make a mistake. It's how we grow, we spot the problem, handle it in a reasonable manner, and learn from it to build upon that. That's why I'm glad to be a Nintendo fan now that they've learned a lot of mistakes, but are at least open to criticism for their remaining problems. That, IMO, is what being a healthy fan of anything is, and just how I wish fans in general of anything could be, because what happens is that true fans get their messages misconstrued by hardcore people, like how you said, with the request of free alternatives of backup saves which ended up becoming a request for cloud saves to be free, when that wasn't the problem to begin with.

Also, that Banjo render? That's a yikes from me, pal.

D

Deleted member

Banjo is definitely well-known and well loved. Let's please not pretend he's a forgotten character. I mean Yooka-Laylee had that super successful Kickstarter campaign for goodness sake. It's entire thing was "remember Banjo? That again". Anyone with interest in platforming history knows him.

Agnes is less well-known because let's face it, it's niche. I doubt most kids would recognize her. But on the other hand, come on, do people really think it's that upsurd she'd get in over Geno? She has similar Nintendo relevance to Bayonetta and is considered by many a 3DS icon (much like Banjo is a N64 icon). Plus it's been heavily hinted recently she'll get another game. And guess what? It'll almost for sure be a Switch exclusive that Nintendo pushes heavily.
Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie is fundamentally the Splatoon of the N64. Only reason the IP died off was cause of the Rare buyout, but for a brand new IP to have its first game be the 10th best-selling N64 game, and for the sales of both games combined to outsell even OG Smash Bros, Pokemon Stadium, and Star Fox 64 is pretty damn impressive all things considered. During that era, Banjo was fundamentally seen as the next big NINTENDO icon, being plastered on all sorts of ads, merch, and games alongside the likes of Mario, DK, Yoshi, and Link. Likewise, being the most popular character and IP made by Rare, he was basically the face of Rare, who at the time, were 2nd party to Nintendo, and their right hand. Nintendo and Rare were basically synonymous with each other. Needless to say, Banjo-Kazooie was RIDICULOUSLY popular both in Japan and the West alike. It was the next big poster-child for Nintendo to showcase, and had a game in development for the Gamecube, which was teased at Spaceworld 2000 and gathered a RIDICULOUS amount of hype. Like, no joke, people were more excited for Banjo-Threeie back then, than Smash Bros. MELEE. That's how big Banjo was.

Point being, Banjo is much much more than a "forgotten character" he carries a ****ton of significance and history as a character and IP. And the games that were actually developed by the core team at Rare were top notch and some of the best of their time. Banjo was basically a major player in Nintendo's line up rolling up into the GCN, same way Splatoon is currently one of their major IP. He's not a "forgotten character" he's Nintendo's lost child. Had Nintendo bought Rare instead of Microsoft (which they almost did), even if we assume most of the team left, and that development on all Rare games was canceled, you can bet your ass, even if Nintendo didn't develop any more Banjo games, you'd be seeing him crossed over in Mario Kart, DK, and a bunch of other Nintendo games since forever. Hell, he'd already BE in Melee had the buyout not happened. Sakurai literally said he planned to have him in Melee but didn't due to "adult reasons."

What Banjo represents to a lot of people is more than nostalgia, but history. Banjo is basically the face of the Golden Nintendo x Rare era of gaming. It was Rare at their very very peak, and Rare was one of the TOP game developers in the world at that time. It represents a chance to bring a character that rightfully BELONGS to Nintendo back on Nintendo platforms, even if it's just for a little bit. Banjo is a lot more deserving of being on the Smash line-up than pretty much any other possible choice at this point, as he should have been in since 3 games ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
They didn't think that could be taken out of context?!!!

Sorry about this post, I'm a little tipsy :yoshi:
Between this and the little discussion about Pigma's "Daddy screamed real nice" line earlier, I'm starting to see all sorts of unintended innuendo I never would have noticed before.

So uh, thanks for that Smashboards.

KMDP

Smash Legend

There's something about the "stupid explanation" Pokémon that's charming.
MKDM came out at a really bad time for me.
Why do 10 seconds of research when you can have 20 hours of glory on the Internet? :V
Why indeed.
Between this and the little discussion about Pigma's "Daddy screamed real nice" line earlier, I'm starting to see all sorts of unintended innuendo I never would have noticed before.

Like I said the other day.

Nintendo's been doing dirty humour for decades. XD

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I feel like that's my job these days. I've been around the internet too long :yoshi:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Not even, Pit also had that treatment.

I swear, Fox BETTER get his Memories article. It was already pretty absurd that Falco didn't get one, but Wolf? Didn't show off Zero, 64, or even screenshots of 2 on a SNES Mini.

To be honest, I can't say that Playstation NOW is that much better, especially when some titles that are still on the PS3 also get rereleases on the PS4.
Falco didn't either?!

Its confirmed Nintendo hates Starfox.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Which is why their partnership with Rare was a match made in heaven. Seriously, look up the B-K series' jokes. :p
There’s no innuendo in this line as such but it’s still my favourite for its audacious crosses-the-line-twice value, especially in a kid’s game...

“Mmmmm! Cyanide and mustard gas flavour! My favourite!”

So... about modding.... Would it compromise my ability to play online? :(

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
PokeDex entries have a history of not being very kid-friendly, to be fair.
And it seems like they're getting worse. There's no way Salazzle's Pokedex entries were written by innocent minds.

Sun: "For some reason, only females have been found. It creates a reverse harem of male Salandit that it lives with."
Moon: "Filled with pheromones, its poisonous gas can be diluted to use in the production of luscious perfumes."
Ultra Sun: Salazzle lives deep in caves and forces the Salandit it has attracted with its pheromones to serve it."
Ultra Moon: "It punishes Salandit that couldn’t bring it food with a fierce slap of its flame-spewing palm."

Seriously, that's WAAAY too much innuendo for a Pokemon game.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
And it seems like they're getting worse. There's no way Salazzle's Pokedex entries were written by innocent minds.

Sun: "For some reason, only females have been found. It creates a reverse harem of male Salandit that it lives with."
Moon: "Filled with pheromones, its poisonous gas can be diluted to use in the production of luscious perfumes."
Ultra Sun: Salazzle lives deep in caves and forces the Salandit it has attracted with its pheromones to serve it."
Ultra Moon: "It punishes Salandit that couldn’t bring it food with a fierce slap of its flame-spewing palm."

“Reverse harem” isn’t even innuendo anymore lol, it’s just... endo :p

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Does it reveal so much about me that when hear about "naughty Pokedex entries," I think of Salazzle? :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Thoughts?

1535713300044.jpg

I personally think it's fake. It's still a good render though.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
So smashboards has gone from screaming about leaks one night to talking about everybody's deepest darkest secrets.
I am amused.

KMDP

Smash Legend
So... about modding.... Would it compromise my ability to play online? :(
I think Model mods are online safe, usually.

I'm not too savvy about modding.

There is no way Salazzle and Tsareena were made by clean minds.

Pit93

Smash Apprentice

I don't even see clear innuendo there. There are animals that show similar behavior.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
SO... the standard question of the room... whats happening now?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
YOU SIR, HAVE ACTIVATED MY INNER SOUL SISTER CHURCH PRIEST, CAN I GET ANOTHER ONE FOR THE CHOIR, SIR?

This is honestly why I feel being a Nintendo fan sucks now more than ever in the past lmao. There are some of it that does lie on Nintendo - they have made a few boo-boos, THANK GOD not as worse as the Wii U and 3DS Eras - but MAN, a lot of it has to do with the semi-hardcore to hardcore fans.

Smash Ultimate having 70+ characters and Sakurai's life and blood put into this? Nah, where's Waluigi and Ashley at, fam?
The 3DS still getting good games to end off its life cycle like WarioWare Gold and Luigi's Mansion? WHY NOT SWITCH?
Games like DOOM (+ DOOM: Eternal!), L.A. Noire, NBA, and a plethora of 3rd party games we would've never gotten in the past on it and more to come? NOT ENOUGH, SEND DEATH THREATS.

I love Nintendo with all my heart, but I will no doubt **** on them when they make a mistake. It's how we grow, we spot the problem, handle it in a reasonable manner, and learn from it to build upon that. That's why I'm glad to be a Nintendo fan now that they've learned a lot of mistakes, but are at least open to criticism for their remaining problems. That, IMO, is what being a healthy fan of anything is, and just how I wish fans in general of anything could be, because what happens is that true fans get their messages misconstrued by hardcore people, like how you said, with the request of free alternatives of backup saves which ended up becoming a request for cloud saves to be free, when that wasn't the problem to begin with.

Also, that Banjo render? That's a yikes from me, pal.
Yeah, Nintendo has done so many things right with the Switch and the games for it, that the oversights--some small, some really huge--stand out more, and it kind of feels awkward complaining when there's been such great stuff. It's also important to give honest feedback. There are certain head-banging omissions--stuff that was present on the Wii U, like being able to freely customize the order of games, that are lacking on the Switch.

For instance, I am one of those "Why not Switch?" complainers, but only because the promise of the Switch--combining their handheld and console line-up--fixes a huge problem I've had for a long time, exclusively being a console user, that there were some games I could not play. Mainly Pokemon, but also games like Super Mario 3D Land, where I could only hope they brought to the console (which they did with Super Mario 3D World, and it became one of my favorite Mario games). Thankfully, the ones I do care about (namely Pokemon) are coming to the Switch, so I've yet to have an issue. I do get some anxiety, though, whenever a Direct happens and we start with 3DS titles. :nervous:

Nowhere is this dissonance ever more present than with Smash. Sakurai has given us the best possible game in the series he could have given us. I had been on the fence of getting Smash again, fearing certain characters would get cut, that there'd be very little improvement beyond being able to take the console game on the go. And E3 surpassed those expectations and rocketed them into outer space. So complaining about anything Smash related feels like looking a gift horse in the mouth, and then punching that horse's mouth. But theeeen--there are little things that make that difficult, like there possibly only being four new stages in the base game despite being a new game (a new game I would expect having at least 10 new stages, and would have personally been fine with cutting 50 old ones for 10 new ones), and with a limited roster, there's less new characters that appeal to me personally (I'm glad for fans who love Ridley and K Rool for their significance for Smash as a whole, but I never played their games myself). And that's simply because with every character returning--there's less characters that I've played with before to be hyped about, for me personally. Of course, these complaints are tentative as we still have more information to come out--I'm just trying to assume the worse, so that I can bring my expectations back down to Earth.

The tl;dr version is that Nintendo is so great, and does so many good things--that the weird and disappointing choices stand out more--and so I don't blame people for airing out their grievances despite everything that they've been given. On the flip side, we should still be celebrating all of those great things that they do more regularly. With Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Breath of the Wild, Smash and (possibly) Pokemon, they've listened to the fans more than they ever have, and have really been successful at making the ultimate versions of these games.

(also this was seven paragraphs long, so I've tried to tighten it as much as possible--still could use some tightening)

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I don't even see clear innuendo there. There are animals that show similar behavior.
While there are animals that show similar behaviour, filtered through a human lens there are certain... sexual undertones to the description of what Salazzle does (especially the "forces the Salandit it has attracted with its pheromones to serve it" line).
SO... the standard question of the room... whats happening now?
Well, we briefly talked about what we want our Smashboards legacy to be.

Now we're talking about Dirty Nintendo Humour.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Wow the discussion here really changes it's tone when it's not moving at 100 miles a minute :laugh:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
I’m trying to rally a movement for alternative design character skins, but everyone would rather discuss sexy pokémon or something smh :p
I'll back you on ultimate for having one of the worst in game designs for ZSS and Samus. (even Brawl designs would be fine)
We just had samus returns designs that were both great.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Does it reveal so much about me that when hear about "naughty Pokedex entries," I think of Salazzle? :yoshi:
Well, I can't blame you. Literally everything that Salazzle encompasses makes you think that it was created by someone who immediately came into work after waking up from a very vivid and inappropriate dream.

Even if Salazzle's Pokedex entry was inspired solely by the actions of real life animals (which I heavily doubt, given its "unique" design), it's still hard to argue that all of this is completely innocent.

Trust me, this was deliberate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom