• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
While there are animals that show similar behaviour, filtered through a human lens there are certain... sexual undertones to the description of what Salazzle does (especially the "forces the Salandit it has attracted with its pheromones to serve it" line).
I absolutely agree that it can be seen that way. ^^
On the other hand, you wouldn't really describe it very differently in a non-sexual context (like say in a documentary) that's why I feel it's not a "clear" innuendo. :)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I can't hep but feel I may have derailed things...
Eh... I find it a bit American that past conversations to lightly and healthily graze the conversation of human fetish were comments tarred and feathered by multiple moderators here, and yet conversations about incestual character conversation would likely/ may still go unnoticed.

But regardless I wont sit here to say either is wrong. They are both healthy forms of conversation in my eyes.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I'll back you on ultimate for having one of the worst in game designs for ZSS and Samus. (even Brawl designs would be fine)
We just had samus returns designs that were both great.
The SR design of ZSS has a lovely balance of curves and musculature, while the suit is bulky with jagged edges and just looks totally badass. What I love about Samus is that she’s an implausibly curvy bombshell AND a planet-destroying engine of destruction. So many lesser characters settle for being just one or the other.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I can't hep but feel I may have derailed things...
Yeah, maybe.
I absolutely agree that it can be seen that way. ^^
On the other hand, you wouldn't really describe it very differently in a non-sexual context (like say in a documentary) that's why I feel it's not a "clear" innuendo. :)
The Salazzle Pokédex entry can be read as totally innocent...

But when combined with Salazzle's idle animation... hoo boy.

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
Even if Salazzle's Pokedex entry was inspired solely by the actions of real life animals (which I heavily doubt, given its "unique" design), it's still hard to argue that all of this is completely innocent.

Trust me, this was deliberate.
Honest to Arceus, I'm not sure about that. But like I said, as a biology-freak I can't see Salazzle as too "dirty". At least all of its behavior and design make sense given its ingame lifestyle. Personally, I think that Lopunny is a lot less innocent than Salazzle. XD

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yeah if moderators were here, this conversation would definitely be shifted...
so maybe we should do that.
And recap this poor Poketrainer some information on that image leak.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Eh... I find it a bit American that past conversations to lightly and healthily graze the conversation of human fetish were comments tarred and feathered by multiple moderators here, and yet conversations about incestual character conversation would likely/ may still go unnoticed.

But regardless I wont sit here to say either is wrong. They are both healthy forms of conversation in my eyes.
I am... morbidly curious about that bolded bit...
Yes, we should probably move on to something else. XD

Last edited:

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
Then on a different note.

I think Birdo as a Yoshi-Echo might be a dark horse we don't talk about enough. I'm not a big Birdo-fan but I wouldn't be against her/his inclusion. It might actually be pretty funny to beat people up with Birdo. (and I might start using a Yoshi-character XD)

KMDP

Smash Legend

I think Birdo as a Yoshi-Echo might be a dark horse we don't talk about enough. I'm not a big Birdo-fan but I wouldn't be against her/his inclusion. It might actually be pretty funny to beat people up with Birdo. (and I might start using a Yoshi-character XD)
I think Zinith Zinith might have something to say about that. :laugh:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman

(Incoming Zinith)
wasn't Super Mario Bros 2 kind of swept under the rug by Nintendo due to shifty development. We haven't seen a hint of that frog and birdo in years.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

People don't really talk about Yoshi anything unless I'm around...

Birdo is definitely a possibility even though I'm rooting for a different Yoshi echo...

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace

Just have to replace neutral B with an egg projectile and good to go.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894

I can already hear the screaming from waluigi fans if birdo and daisy are in and he still isn't

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On one hand, Chrom's introduction eliminated the biggest criticism that echo Birdo had, which was that she wouldn't be able to use tongue attacks. Now we know she can just be given an inhale animation similar to Kirby's, and it can even be modified a bit.

On the other hand, I think all Birdo discussion was killed with Chrom's and Dark Samus's reveal because of Sakurai mentioning that they were both highly requested. Birdo on the other hand? Not many people considered her before echo fighters became a thing. She could work as an echo, but her lack of fan demand might mean they won't feel it's worth the effort even for such an easy inclusion.
I am... morbidly curious about that bolded bit...
*Fire Emblem theme plays faintly in the background*

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I don't consider Birdo a likely echo, as you would expect Birdo to shoot eggs, not throw them. I think Birdo would be a nice compliment to Yoshi as a unique fighter, and it's really one of the few Mario characters left that could potentially be revealed (if we ignore Birdo being on Mushroom Kingdom 2). If Geno is in, it would actually be nice for Boshi to be a Yoshi echo. So in that sense, I would find Boshi's chances higher than Birdo's, for Ultimate.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475

Her*, she's a female, she identifies as one. And my boyfriend would go insane if that happens, Birdo is his favorite mario character hahaha

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So... about modding.... Would it compromise my ability to play online? :(
You'll probably get banned if Nintendo finds out that something fishy is going on with your Switch. Though most bans I've heard are due to piracy reasons or because said modders where basically waving the fact that they modded their Switch in public online (Custom Switch user avatars and all or error messages that got send straight to Nintendo.) I'd say wait at least a year or two after Smash Ultimate modding has taken off and keep a close eye if there is any news of banwave's going on within said community. (Or just wait it out until Nintendo no longer cares about the Switch and has moved on to a new console....)

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
*Fire Emblem theme plays faintly in the background*
Ah... the ol' Fire Embull.
You'll probably get banned if Nintendo finds out that something fishy is going on with your Switch. Though most bans I've heard are due to piracy reasons or because said modders where basically waving the fact that they modded their Switch in public online (Custom Switch user avatars and all or error messages that got send straight to Nintendo.) I'd say wait at least a year or two after Smash Ultimate modding has taken off and keep a close eye if there is any news of banwave's going on within said community. (Or just wait it out until Nintendo no longer cares about the Switch and has moved on to a new console....)
Speaking of modding, how easy is it to mod Switch games?

I heard there was a hardware thing about the Switch that gave it an irremovable gateway to modding or something.

D

Deleted member

If you mean those fake "renders" posted like yesterday, they're very obviously fake given their subpar and amateurish quality.

If you mean that Banjo render I posted last page, it's very convincing, but I still think it's fake.

Repostan cause it seems no one caught eye of it cause of the spoiler:

1535713300044.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

A lot of characters weren't considered before Echoes but that doesn't mean they don't have a shot. Dark Samus was a pipe dream when we didn't even have Ridley, Chrom was ruled out after Smash 4, Ken and Shadow are popular in their own right, and lol Daisy.
Not gonna bank on Birdo but she is a possibility if they go all out with Echoes.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ah... the ol' Fire Embull.

Speaking of modding, how easy is it to mod Switch games?

I heard there was a hardware thing about the Switch that gave it an irremovable gateway to modding or something.
If you have an older version of the Switch console (pre June this year I think) you can apply a jig to the right join con rail and you're more or less good to go after you've placed some files in your micro SD card. This has been fixed in later revisions though.

In terms of Switch game modding itself. Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild seem to have taken off pretty fast and considering Smash's popularity in the modding scene, It will probably be a matter of time before that takes off too. I don't know much about the process itself though.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
If you mean those fake "renders" posted like yesterday, they're very obviously fake given their subpar and amateurish quality.

If you mean that Banjo render I posted last page, it's very convincing, but I still think it's fake.

View attachment 160913
It's fake

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

View attachment 160913
If it is on this thread, a point being made repetitively (either from other users referencing/quoting, or from the user bring it up a few times) is the only way for it to be seen, as this particularly thread is based around having no real structure.

To that I say, was anything else with this Banjo? And why is Banjo now pale and freckled?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A lot of characters weren't considered before Echoes but that doesn't mean they don't have a shot. Dark Samus was a pipe dream when we didn't even have Ridley, Chrom was ruled out after Smash 4, Ken and Shadow are popular in their own right, and lol Daisy.
Not gonna bank on Birdo but she is a possibility if they go all out with Echoes.
Of characters who got some support on these boards back when we thought that Dark Pit was a mistake that Sakaurai would never repeat (fools!) Impa as a Sheik Echo seems the most likely to me.

Of the Echos so far, with the exception of Richter who, if he was even mentioned, was seen as a replacement for Simon, they all had the argument for unique movesets. Daisy had a lot of support on the idea she could rep Mario Spin-offs, Dark Samus had arguments of how her phazon could change up the gameplay and people were making movesets for Chrom with the other weapons he could wield.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Birdo could work, only the B move would need changing. Instead of a tongue, Birdo inhales like Kirby, or maybe even like the Blunderbuss. Once she inhales someone, theyre spit out in an egg forward instead of laid in an egg backwards.

It's fake
Im not saying thsi is real, but the in game render could just be very well based on an existing render, like Simon and Richter.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 160913
Dynamic posing, good shading and depth. It's better than the last ones, that's for sure

KMDP

Smash Legend
Actually... speaking of Dark Samus and Ridley, there was a push for Sylux, though it was more due to fans believing they couldn't have Ridley, so they pushed for an alternative.

In Brawl, the Kirby series was considered complete in terms of character representation with :kirby2::metaknight::dedede:, do Metroid fans consider Metroid "complete" with :ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:? (I'm talking in terms of the characters, not the designs they use)
If you have an older version of the Switch console (pre June this year I think) you can apply a jig to the right join con rail and you're more or less good to go after you've placed a few files in your micro Sd card. This has been fixed in later revisions though.

In terms of Switch game modding itself. Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild seem to have taken off pretty fast and considering Smash's popularity in in the modding scene, It will probably be a matter of time before that takes off too. I don't know much about the process itself though.
Well, don't have an old Switch; because I don't have a switch at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (yet)

Looks like I'd have to wait for an exploit like the Wii U Internet Browser one later down the road if I ever wanted to do any modding.

Modders always find workarounds. XD They're like Hydra.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's fake
I'm sorry man. But those aren't lining up at all.

I'm marking it off as fake, because a simple picture isn't enough to convince me, but your overlay (which you got off that /v/ thread), doesn't help build a case for anything. Eyes don't line up, expression doesn't line up, snout is smaller, snout line is in a different spot, differnt lighting, different blush, different shadows, skull doesn't line up, eyes are in different lighting, mouth in a completely different spot, different teeth. etc.. etc...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Thoughts?

I personally think it's fake. It's still a good render though.
Besides being based on a previous render as shown above, wouldn't Banjo look well less mad? I'm not a Banjo expert as I reavealed yesterday, but I imagine his render would be more happy go lucky. The 3rd part renders capture their characters pretty well (Sonic being too cool for school, Bayonetta being saucy, etc.) I don't imagine Banjo would look so pissed in his official render lol.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
See the way y’all are looking at this possible banjo render? All frowny, pale and freckly? Looks just... strange and jarring, doesn’t it? WELCOME TO MY WORLD :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Birdo could theoretically work as a Yoshi echo. Replace Egg Lay with a reskinned Blunderbuss (a la Chrom's UpB) and a standard grab animation (a la Dark Samus' standard roll) and bam.

If you want my two cents on this, it's mainly the whole "Virtual Console" thing that people are absolutely idiotic about. For one, I will say that I do wish there was more than NES, but due to the recent 6.0.0 firmware datamine that shows SNES controllers, it can't JUST be NES and why would there be just a random SNES controller icon? I have a feeling we'll get NES and SNES as a start and work our way there.

But my main problem is how people think that this is the worse way to do Virtual Console. First off, we had to PAY for ROMs. Back in the Wii days, it was a novel concept. Though looking back, the fact that Paper Mario on the N64 was $19.99 is absurd. The fact that this practice was repeated for the Wii U and we still had to pay upfront for games, even some games costing way more than they should, AND not having as good of a library as the Wii's Virtual Console library was, is abominable.

I, and MANY others, did NOT like how Nintendo did Virtual Console the past two generations, so seeing them go for a more Netflix-style service with the Nintendo Online has to be the greatest way to go about it. I can understand, yes, we're starting back to basics, but why are we complaining when it's gonna be free? Y'know, how releasing all of Nintendo's legacy content should have been?

The fact that people, even big creators, are defending the practice of buying ROMs and not wanting Nintendo's legacy content to be free and in a streamlined part of Nintendo's Online Service a la Netflix saddens me. These games should be FREE and if people think that having to re-release these retro games behind a paywall AGAIN - which was a huge criticism of the Wii U's Virtual Console - should've been the way to go, then they can go play their ****ty, dead, piece of junk Wii U.

Aside from that, if we're gonna get dedicated servers for all these games that have online, then I'm willing to make a compromise. Also, IT'S 20 ****ING BUCKS A YEAR. WE SPENT MORE THAN 20 BUCKS BUYING AA BATTERIES FOR OUR WII CONTROLLERS.
If Nintendo's online services are just as bad as they've always been, they don't deserve even the twenty dollars IMO. It may be too early to tell, but all the hacking issues with Splatoon and the tone deafness of the voice chat app don't inspire confidence. People shouldn't reward ****ty work, even if the reward is more affordable.

And a Netflix-styled streaming service is a terrible idea and a total step backwards. Just because the Virtual Console had issues doesn't mean the baby should be thrown out with the bath water. A perfect example? Tetris for the Gameboy. When it came out on the 3DS VC, I bought it straight away. Some time later, it was taken off the eshop because Ubisoft put out a Tetris game and didn't want competition. When I had to replace my 3DS, I was still able to download it. But this likely wouldn't be the case for a Netflix-styled service. I don't want to play a game when Nintendo decides it's okay for me to; I want to play it when I want to, without supporting a potentially-****ty online service.

Also there's literally no reason at this point that said service shouldn't include SNES, Gameboy, N64, GBA, GameCube, and certain DS and Wii games at launch. Let me actually buy Path of Radiance, Nintendo.

/rant

KMDP

Smash Legend
One problem with that Banjo leak is... why is he snarling?

That's like... antithetical to his character, and is completely different to all of the other Smash renders. Seriously, Banjo looks mad in that image, while I don't think a single one of the Ultimate Renders have that kind of emotion in them (they're all either happy or neutral).
Besides being based on a previous render as shown above, wouldn't Banjo look well less mad? I'm not a Banjo expert as I reavealed yesterday, but I imagine his render would be more happy go lucky. The 3rd part renders capture their characters pretty well (Sonic being too cool for school, Bayonetta being saucy, etc.) I don't imagine Banjo would look so pissed in his official render lol.
Yeah... this.

D

Deleted member

That's part of why I think it's fake. But then again, Mario is perpetually pissed in Smash, and Banjo does have a few "angry" official renders from Rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom