• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Guys i'm an industry insider and Sakurai has already began talks with western companies regarding Smash Bros DLC. He's personally attended meetings at Activision, Ubisoft, and Microsoft.
>Activision
OMG COD SOLDIER CONFIRMED
>Ubisoft
ZOMFG ASSCREEDS CUNFIRMD
>Microsoft
MARCUS PHOENIX IS IN!!!!!!1

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I can already see myself being the guide for all my friends telling them where to look for a character.

"Hey where's Lucario"

"Sometime after Captain Olimar, but if you see Villager you've gone too far"

Ordered by debut is literally only good for future dlc because they can just be tacked on at the end....but they did that anyway with the last game :/

Manual ordering would be amaziiiinnnnnggggg. I'd have so much fun with that **** lol
Even if it's not the base game, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Adding an option to reorder the CSS by franchise isn't exactly strenuous work for the development team. If enough people asked for it, they could easily add it in a future update alongside other new content and patches.

blackghost

Smash Champion
As a player within that age group I think you're being a spoiled brat considering the picks we've gotten
how so? my point was people want to play smash with characters in games they've played. if the situation were reversed and the characters revealed so far had only appeared in recent games there would be a lot of outcry about being ignored from older fans. i said i doubt younger players have played games or are familiar with these choices so far. while i don't think they are done by a long shot acting like the smash game with easily the youngest fanbase both competitively and causally is being a brat by asking for one or two uniques that appeal to them when older fans got that seems like a double standard. People that aren't on smash boards, are not hardcore players, will want to see something newer in the roster. they will want to see a new pokemon, a newer rpg character, maybe monster hunter.

im not being picky im saying that character should be here and if it isn't that will be a valid critique i have on the game.

the other point was how some people viewed shulk as a shoe in and yet so many immediately dismissed the idea of bravely default. bravely default outsold xenoblade 1 by nearly 500,000 copies. Its a strong case for third-party rep. Saying i need to "show the fans." just because its not one of smashbaords deemed holy characters is a double standard.

Last edited:

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Toad fans will be screaming alongside Waluigi fans.

Why do people forget about Toad?
Because he's boring Because he's already in peach and daisy's moveset, unless it's captain toad that makes it in, but idk about the likelihood of that happening

KMDP

Smash Legend
While I'd agree, I would think if Banjo's render is based on anything, it would be the original box art. Like (how I think) Simon's render/pose is based on his original box art.

EDIT:

To be fair, I often notice something I've called "Smash face", where a character looks uncharacteristically "read for battle". While Mario in his official render doesn't look "angry" per-se--it's still a face I don't expect Mario to make in his typical games (and especially that Tournament Mode stare is funny because of how uncharacteristic it is). Sakurai has said that he does like to have some artistic liberties when working with characters. All that having been said, the person posting the comparison makes it an open-and-shut case for me--the differences are minor tweaks that could be made, when compared to the major similarities.
Yeah, I'd say the "Banjo's ****ing pissed" face is way beyond "ready for battle". :laugh:

It's sort of the same issue I took with that one roster leak with Shadow in it from about a month ago.

The snapshot used for Shadow's image in that particular css looked ridiculously boring. Like he was standing in a neutral pose (i.e. not a pose at all) or even frickin' T-POSING. This is not what would be used in Smash, at all.

For reference, I believe it was the "New Villager" one, or at least it was around that time.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Because he's boring Because he's already in peach and daisy's moveset, unless it's captain toad that makes it in, but idk about the likelihood of that happening
And Waluigi is already an Assist Trophy.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
And Waluigi is already an Assist Trophy.
Yeah but until he was revealed he had that chance of not being one, which is why the waluigi fans were up in arms. Toad has always been a part of peach so it was unlikely from the get go that toad would even get a look in at being a fighter

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Guys i'm an industry insider and Sakurai has already began talks with western companies regarding Smash Bros DLC. He's personally attended meetings at Activision, Ubisoft, and Microsoft.
I mean, this is posed as satirical, but nothing said is really that ludicrous. The most ludicrous statement is that Sakurai would be working on DLC before the game is finished.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd say it's more "mischievous smile" than "evil smile".

But that still means you shouldn't trust him.
I wonder if that's accurate to his character or not... Maybe all these years, fighting Koopa, and rescuing the princess... maybe, just maybe WE were the real villains all along...

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Mario's probably pissed cuz his skull got crushed and his brother heckin died. Leave him alone. >:V

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I mean, this is posed as satirical, but nothing said is really that ludicrous. The most ludicrous statement is that Sakurai would be working on DLC before the game is finished.
Well..the game may be finished and they're just doing touch ups. Games usually need two months to have physical copies made. With only 3 months left until release, they may have finished all of the content and are prettying up and fine-tuning what they can before it's time to print copies. So it's possible he's considering DLC..remember that Mewtwo was considered prior to release, most likely.

This wasn't posted in belief of the satirical statement, fyi

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well..the game may be finished and they're just doing touch ups. Games usually need two months to have physical copies made. With only 3 months left until release, they may have finished all of the content and are prettying up and fine-tuning what they can before it's time to print copies.
Depends. DBFZ was very clearly still in development even as close as 1-2 months prior to launch. When Yamcha and Tien were unveiled Tien was clearly still not done at all. And they weren't even the last ones to be shown. Goku Black, Hit, Beerus, Android 21, etc... all followed after. So it could be safe to assume DBFZ wasn't done done still just a few weeks before launch. It can't possibly take more than just a few weeks to get stuff printed and shipped tbh, not with how good tech and shipping services have gotten.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I wonder if that's accurate to his character or not... Maybe all these years, fighting Koopa, and rescuing the princess... maybe, just maybe WE were the real villains all along...
GAME THEORY
MARIO IS
THE VILLAIN!?

HELLO, INTERNET! WELCOME TO GAME THEORY! ...And have you ever noticed that-

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah Team Four Star clips...as I wait for episode 60
Part 1 debuts today if you didn't already know. I forget what time via livestream on their twitch channel, but if you miss it, they said it'll be up on the channel directly afterward.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
GAME THEORY
MARIO IS
THE VILLAIN!?

Game theory sucks now. Now it's just mindless clickbait theories with flawed evidence and little science on whatever is currently trending.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Game theory sucks now. Now it's just mindless clickbait theories with flawed evidence and little science on whatever is currently trending.
I included the "Have you ever noticed that-?" bit because MatPat says that... a lot. Like, a lot a lot.

I'm pretty sure more than half of his "Welcome to Game Theory/Film Theory"'s are followed by that exact set of words.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I stopped watching Game Theory ages ago. His early videos were decent, but MattPatt totally sold out, and he's very defensive toward criticism, which made me totally dislike the guy.

D

Deleted member

MatPat was good with non-lore theories, I still like his Chrono Trigger videos and his FMA one on his side channel was actually good despite some miscalculations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Alright guys, hear me out.

Mr. Saturn has appeared in the "Everyone's Here" art, yet no other item or assist trophy has. Furthermore, we haven't seen anyone use him in gameplay so far. Pretty suspicious, don't you think?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Half of the Game Theory videos have titles that sound like something you'd see in a tabloid magazine at the checkout lane.

"Luigi, the RICHEST man in the Mushroom Kingdom?!"
"Rosalina UNMASKED!"
"Super Mario...BETRAYED!!"

I can honestly say that I get more enjoyment from the titles and thumbnails than the videos themselves.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
how so? my point was people want to play smash with characters in games they've played. if the situation were reversed and the characters revealed so far had only appeared in recent games there would be a lot of outcry about being ignored from older fans. i said i doubt younger players have played games or are familiar with these choices so far. while i don't think they are done by a long shot acting like the smash game with easily the youngest fanbase both competitively and causally is being a brat by asking for one or two uniques that appeal to them when older fans got that seems like a double standard. People that aren't on smash boards, are not hardcore players, will want to see something newer in the roster. they will want to see a new pokemon, a newer rpg character, maybe monster hunter.

im not being picky im saying that character should be here and if it isn't that will be a valid critique i have on the game.

the other point was how some people viewed shulk as a shoe in and yet so many immediately dismissed the idea of bravely default. bravely default outsold xenoblade 1 by nearly 500,000 copies. Its a strong case for third-party rep. Saying i need to "show the fans." just because its not one of smashbaords deemed holy characters is a double standard.
Dude I'm really confused, other m came out in 2010, fire emblem awakening came out in 2012, prime 3 isn't exactly retro and splatoon literally came out in 2015. The only characters we have that actually cater only to old fans are K Rool and Simon (and by extension richter).

KMDP

Smash Legend

Mr. Saturn has appeared in the "Everyone's Here" art, yet no other item or assist trophy has. Furthermore, we haven't seen anyone use him in gameplay so far. Pretty suspicious, don't you think?
Not really.

The Pikmin are carrying around Mr. Saturn, it's a visual joke.
---
Anyway...

I have to go now. My planet bed needs me.

*awkwardly floats away*

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

absolutely

it's about time Mr. Saturn was playable

we can even give him a Dr. Saturn echo

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman

So you think it's hiding in plain sight?

Pakky

Smash Hero

BWD will replace Mr. Saturn.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Well..the game may be finished and they're just doing touch ups. Games usually need two months to have physical copies made. With only 3 months left until release, they may have finished all of the content and are prettying up and fine-tuning what they can before it's time to print copies. So it's possible he's considering DLC..remember that Mewtwo was considered prior to release, most likely.

This wasn't posted in belief of the satirical statement, fyi
It's certainly possible, especially now that the game has been rated. I don't know the atmosphere during parts of development cycles, but I would think right now would be when they are the most focused on finishing the base game up, especially since they may have a Direct or two to be planning. Mewtwo seems like an exception, as he was probably initially planned and scrapped, and a first party veteran, where other types of DLC would take more commitment to plan. I'm just shooting in the dark, though.

GAME THEORY
MARIO IS
THE VILLAIN!?

I mean, he has already done that, so...

(I kinda like Game Theory, but it's also fun to make fun of--tho, I do think some people take his videos way too seriously, either thinking they're gospel, or not adhering strictly to the science, etc.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It boggles my mind how much older fans are averse to newer characters

I think I saw one being used in some Snake gameplay. Think

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Dude I'm really confused, other m came out in 2010, fire emblem awakening came out in 2012, prime 3 isn't exactly retro and splatoon literally came out in 2015. The only characters we have that actually cater only to old fans are K Rool and Simon (and by extension richter).
Was literally going to say this. Unless you're reffering to younger audience as like under 10, which definitely isn't this Smash's demographic. Even then they still have Inkling and Daisy and will probably get a new Pokemon and very likely a new Kirby character.

Anyway yeah the only characters trying to appeal to older nostalgic fans would be King K. and the Castlevania bros. Well and the concept of Everyone Returning is high nostalgia but yea

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
It's because Mr. Saturn is the final boss of the new Spirits mode.

D

Deleted member

Imagine if Mr.Saturn was legit a new character though.
The ultimate joke character, the Mother rep we need.
He auto-shield breaks everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom