• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Brings up an interesting music point.

There’s a Mario song which is a “Super Mario World” medley.
There’s a Yoshi stage based on Super Mario World.

If we can only assign music by series, does that mean we don’t get the SMW song on the SMW stage? I wonder if the Yoshi songs will be considered Mario for things like these - or if there are a few cross-series songs possible (I know a lot of people want Gangplank Galleon on Pirate Ship)
I guess that'll happen with Mario and Yoshi. Smash barely divides both series at this point (as seen with Yoshi's placement in 4's roster)
My main question with music though is the "other" section. Will, say, the Duck Hunt stage have songs from Duck Hunt, Wii Fit, Ice Climber, Wrecking Crew, R.O.B., Pilotwings, Snipperclips, The Wonderful 101, Nintendo Land, Style Savvy, etc? it sounds too weird to me

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I can't believe Mr. Saturn would get in over the much more deserving Sandbag. He gets beaten up for all these years and he still doesn't get to join the fight? Mr. Saturn stole that slot and Sakurai knows it.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Game theory sucks now. Now it's just mindless clickbait theories with flawed evidence and little science on whatever is currently trending.
Me and my brother even jokes about him always being wrong about zelda. mostly because a combination of the "Link is dead" one (which was almost purely based on thematic and required him to ignore that Oot/MM link has an descendant) and the Moon one (Going into detail how small and light it would need to be, this would have been right, but he then explain what would if the moon got close which would require that it matches numbers closer to our moon, the two halves of the video literally doesn't work with each other).

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm still waiting for my Shiny Metal Mario echo fighter, Smash 64 fans have been waiting him for years.:glare: Well, i'm saying that, but I just want Metal Cavern.

D

Deleted member

I never really saw the need to divide Yoshi from the Mario series to begin with. I always saw it as a subset of Mario games; same with Wario. They've become their own thing over time, but both of them are primarily Mario series characters so it really shouldn't be too big a surprise to people that they're often grouped with, or mixed in with, Mario characters.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What is your cutoff for "younger" fans? I doubt a lot of teenagers or younger are playing Bravely Default, given that it's a JPRG series from a company that made all their classic games before the 2010s. I'd bet most people buying it were at least in their 20s... which is the group you and I fall in. I didn't even own an NES growing up but I later discovered the Mega Man games and became a big fan. There is nothing stopping younger fans from discovering older games and it's sort of naive for you to act like it rarely happens. The DKC games have been rereleased through the Virtual Console multiple times in the last decade and there is nothing stopping younger fans from trying them.

So what is your point that K. Rool appeals largely to older fans? So what? Should he not be in the game? My point is Smash, and Nintendo nowadays, IS largely older fans. The biggest demographic is now people in their 20s and 30s. We are the target audience. People with disposable income who are more picky about what they buy. The idea that we should just be quiet and not want anything is so insulting. This game is going to be a massive success exactly because it is targeting the older Smash demographic who has been with the series since the first game. It's going to be the highest selling Smash of all time and no amount of handwringing on the internet about "think of the children" is going to change that.

I'm sorry that you don't like most of the characters in the game, and I hope more appear that you do like, but taking it out on the characters in the game (and characters that fans are hoping for) is so childish. This series wouldn't exist if it wasn't for us who have been supporting it since the beginning.
To be honest, the people upset at the current newcomer roster are indeed a vocal minority.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I never really saw the need to divide Yoshi from the Mario series to begin with. I always saw it as a subset of Mario games; same with Wario. They've become their own thing over time, but both of them are primarily Mario series characters so it really shouldn't be too big a surprise to people that they're often grouped with, or mixed in with, Mario characters.
I agree, just because they've had their own game series doesn't mean they're not mario characters, it's like saying luigi is his own thing because he has the mansion series.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I agree, just because they've had their own game series doesn't mean they're not mario characters, it's like saying luigi is his own thing because he has the mansion series.
I think they classify the Yoshi, Wario and DK franchises because they’ve managed to see success WITHOUT Mario being present whatsoever.

Last edited:

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I think they classify the Yoshi, Wario and DK franchises because they’ve managed to see success WITHOUT Mario being present whatsoever.
That's fair I guess, it's still weird how they act as though they're FROM warioware or yoshis island instead of just being characters that found success through those games tho

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I guess Yoshi is separated because back in N64 they were clearly divided, especially because of Yoshi's Story (a game that told a quest solely of Yoshis with no Mario or Baby Mario whatsoever)
and Wario is definitely because of WarioWare. Even so, Wario Land definitely evolved from Mario Land and became the main handheld platformer series, with its own lore and cast of characters

D

Deleted member

DK was never really a mario series character. The prototype for Mario was the protagonist, sure, but he was still 'Jumpman' at that point. He wasn't really fleshed out and his own character until afterward for a different IP. If you consider that a Mario series character just because his prototype was in it, then you'd have to consider Punch-Out! a Mario series too since Mario was the Ref.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Part 1 debuts today if you didn't already know. I forget what time via livestream on their twitch channel, but if you miss it, they said it'll be up on the channel directly afterward.
I know...and I’m expecting nothing but perfection
ok i was joking before but i just realized that he’s in the box art what the **** is going on sakurai

View attachment 160925
Mr.Saturn will be the final boss of Classic Mode (being even more powerful than Master Core) in order to be freed and become the final unlockable playable character...before Clementine unexpectedly joins Smash Bros and once again shows why she’s...
9155A563-B295-41DE-8ED3-25E805695EFE.gif
87163ADE-7CED-4420-B72B-838269808339.jpeg
ADF8CA62-6ACA-4AD6-A956-4C8BAFD074C3.jpeg

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
To be honest, the people upset at the current newcomer roster are indeed a vocal minority.
Yea seriously I don't know a lot of people who aren't hyped for this game's roster, returning veterans and newcomers. The internet definitely makes it seem like the majority of people are excited for this roster and the fact it's already the best selling game of 2018 on Amazon is saying something.

So who is this imaginary group of people not happy with the current roster that we should be catering to? Lol

Edit: joking aside, I'm pretty sure once the full roster is revealed, the roster will not be one of the weak points of the game. I'm sorry if out of 70+ characters you can't find a single character you love.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While that is true, and probably the reason they're separated, it seems odd for Yoshi and Wario to both be in a category of one when they are a subset of a larger series. DK makes sense separated, as the series has Diddy Kong and now King K Rool, and there's a lot less cross-series pollinating with the DK franchise. In my head, at least, it's just difficult to separate Yoshi and Wario from the Mario series.

EDIT:
I guess Yoshi is separated because back in N64 they were clearly divided, especially because of Yoshi's Story (a game that told a quest solely of Yoshis with no Mario or Baby Mario whatsoever)
and Wario is definitely because of WarioWare. Even so, Wario Land definitely evolved from Mario Land and became the main handheld platformer series, with its own lore and cast of characters
I mean, it's been so long since I've played it, but I played Yoshi Story so much--wasn't Baby Bowser like the final boss? It's what I mean by cross-series pollinating. Sure, Baby Bowser was introduced into the Yoshi series--but it's still very closely tied to the Mario series through Bowser. It's not *completely* stand-alone.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
DK was never really a mario series character. The prototype for Mario was the protagonist, sure, but he was still 'Jumpman' at that point. He wasn't really fleshed out and his own character until afterward for a different IP. If you consider that a Mario series character just because his prototype was in it, then you'd have to consider Punch-Out! a Mario series too since Mario was the Ref.
there's definitely some truth to that but DK has had a strong association with Mario since his creation with games like Kart, Party, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, etc. They're very clearly characters that share a universe unlike, say, Mario and Mike Tyson

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yea seriously I don't know a lot of people who aren't hyped for this games rosters, returning veterans and newcomers. The internet definitely makes it seem like the majority of people are excited for this roster and the fact it's already the best selling game of 2018 on Amazon is saying something.

So who is this imaginary group of people not happy with the current roster that we should be catering to? Lol
The kids who started playing on Switch. Because :ultinkling: as well as BotW, Mario Kart 8 and Odyssey content doesn't exist (keep in mind those three games I mentioned as well as Splatoon 2 are the top 4 Switch games in terms of sales.)

D

Deleted member

there's definitely some truth to that but DK has had a strong association with Mario since his creation with games like Kart, Party, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, etc. They're very clearly characters that share a universe unlike, say, Mario and Mike Tyson
Yeah, probably because they both became their own series, but their ancestors, so to speak, shared their first game together. Its a common theory that Cranky Kong is actually the original Donkey Kong from the Arcade game.

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
The kids who started playing on Switch. Because :ultinkling: as well as BotW, Mario Kart 8 and Odyssey content doesn't exist (keep in mind those three games I mentioned as well as Splatoon 2 are the top 4 Switch games in terms of sales.)
I obviously don't speak for everyone, but the switch was my introduction to Nintendo, and I'm excited for the game

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes, the vocal minority complaining that Ultimate panders to old people. :rolleyes:

Never mind that Smash 4 had newcomers from new games between 2007 and 2015 except for Duck Hunt Dog.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Yea seriously I don't know a lot of people who aren't hyped for this game's roster, returning veterans and newcomers. The internet definitely makes it seem like the majority of people are excited for this roster and the fact it's already the best selling game of 2018 on Amazon is saying something.

Edit: joking aside, I'm pretty sure once the full roster is revealed, the roster will not be one of the weak points of the game. I'm sorry if out of 70+ characters you can't find a single character you love.
Honestly :ultridley::ultkrool:

I'm kinda set already, plus all the quality of life and competitive stuff has me jazzed.

and if some theories, myself and a few others had since before E3 pan out, its smooth sailing from here.

Again the Rayman thing HAS to be addressed. either he's an AT or a full character.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yes, the vocal minority complaining that Ultimate panders to old people. :rolleyes:

Never mind that Smash 4 had newcomers from new games between 2007 and 2015 except for Duck Hunt Dog.
I mean, all newcomers we got in this game comes from eras that already covered (1980-2015).

Just because you have something, doesn't mean you can't ask for more. Brawl introduced a lot of old characters and people still wanted more in Smash For.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Smashboards is the only place I've seen any criticism of the roster after the initial Waluigi wave settled down, and it's usually the same 2 or 3 individuals complaining about a lack of newer characters. I'd even say the minority is way smaller than for past games as there aren't any megaton characters left to rally behind with Ridley and K. Rool in, people want all sorts of different characters now, so it's not like you can say "The fact that X character isn't in is absurd" and get a sizeable amount of backers on that front.

Either way I'm pretty confident in saying that by December we'll just be laughing off the "not enough new characters" complaints, it's still way too early to pretend like we know where the roster is ultimately headed. People ought to have a little patience.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Smashboards is the only place I've seen any criticism of the roster after the initial Waluigi wave settled down, and it's usually the same 2 or 3 individuals complaining about a lack of newer characters. I'd even say the minority is way smaller than for past games as there aren't any megaton characters left to rally behind with Ridley and K. Rool in, people want all sorts of different characters now, so it's not like you can say "The fact that X character isn't in is absurd" and get a sizeable amount of backers on that front.

Either way I'm pretty confident in saying that by December we'll just be laughing off the "not enough new characters" complaints, it's still way too early to pretend like we know where the roster is ultimately headed. People ought to have a little patience.
I gotta agree cuz I'm not even mad at anything, there's no one really left to argue for. There are some fleeting wishes that might be revealed as echoes or just straight up characters in some cases, but otherwise, yeah.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Honestly :ultridley::ultkrool:

I'm kinda set already, plus all the quality of life and competitive stuff has me jazzed.

and if some theories, myself and a few others had since before E3 pan out, its smooth sailing from here.

Again the Rayman thing HAS to be addressed. either he's an AT or a full character.
I've gone so back and forth over Rayman the last couple months lol.

Pre E3 he was an absolute lock, but that's slowly dimished over time and with how fan servicey this game is? Sure Rayman has fans, but there are definitely other third parties that would make a much bigger splash, and I can't see Sakurai just adding him because Ubisoft and Nintendo are close now, which was pretty much my only reasons for speculating him.

At this point with the Shovel Knight AT, I would be surprised if he wasn't at least an AT.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
You know what i could see happening - Travis Touchdown being the first DLC Character for Smash Ultimate. He could be announced at the Gaming Awards and then released in January

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
They don't share a universe according to Mario + Rabbids. I personally think the DK series deserves to break away from Mario's shadow. It's popular enough on its own. Not that Yoshi and Wario aren't popular, but they aren't as big as DK. If I were to put logic into the DK crew's appearances in Mario sports spinoffs, then they are two separate worlds that happen to be connected to a warp pipe. Other worlds are also connected to Mario's which would explain why Link, Inkling, and the Animal Crossing characters are in Mario Kart 8.

Slavic

They don't share a universe according to Mario + Rabbids. I personally think the DK series deserves to break away from Mario's shadow. It's popular enough on its own. Not that Yoshi and Wario aren't popular, but they aren't as big as DK. If I were to put logic into the DK crew's appearances in Mario sports spinoffs, then they are two separate worlds that happen to be connected to a warp pipe. Other worlds are also connected to Mario's which would explain why Link, Inkling, and the Animal Crossing characters are in Mario Kart 8.
Oh believe me, I'm not saying DK series is a spinoff of Mario games, I'm just saying there's more ambiguity because the two series interact quite a bit more than other series do. Also I'm a little scared of Rabbids being the say all for canon in the Mario universe.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Where does it say that in Mario +Rabbids?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh, I wouldn't say that the Rabbits crossover has any say on the "lore" of the Mario universe. (whatever there is of it), especially since that game was developed by a third party. That's kind of like saying Hyrule Warriors is canon to the Zelda universe.

Slavic

also in Odyssey you can fly from Peach's Castle to New Donk City which definitely puts them in the same universe at some point

of course this is all if you want to even believe Mario does / should have any canon at all

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Yoshi’s series is a strange vestigial appendage in Smash because Yoshi actually had good non-Mario games when 64 released. At least they had the decency to kill F-Zero when they ran out of ideas.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Mario and DK take place in the same world while being separate series. Like how Captain Amercia and Iron Man are both Avengers and take place in the same world, but Captain America isnt an Iron Man character. Thats how I see it at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom