• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
So, how does modding work? I’m literally losing sleep over Zamus’s new look. Her complete and utter non-presence since E3 gives me hope that something might be happening, but I doubt it :(

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Do they not drink coffee on the East coast?

I'm drinking a cup of coffee before bed

StormC

Smash Hero
So, how does modding work? I’m literally losing sleep over Zamus’s new look. Her complete and utter non-presence since E3 gives me hope that something might be happening, but I doubt it :(
Dude... do you really want to be known as the Samus boob guy? Is this the legacy you want to leave on SmashBoards dot com?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Dude... do you really want to be known as the Samus boob guy? Is this the legacy you want to leave on SmashBoards dot com?
*idly wonders what my legacy is/will be on this site, if I have one at all*

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Speaking of, still hoping for that Lord Fredrik boss fight so I can fight him with :ultkrool:.
If we do get this, I want to hear a mash up of Big Top Bop, Punch Bowl, and Volcano Dome to go with it.
I can build a legacy on this site?
You already have. You're the Yoshi guy.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I feel like you are the kind of person who dies on purpose in metroid games just to see ZSS' sprite

D

Deleted member

It's quiet because it's night-time in America and morning in Europe.

All the Americans are asleep (or should be) and all the Europeans are at work or in school.
I'm up still because

A. I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of the responses of the Nintendo Online Service.
B. Can't sleep.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Well, given this is too quiet and we have no new leaks today I'm going to make MY FINAL PREDICTIONS *dum-dum-dummmm*, but I'll put it in a spoiler tag so I don't bother anyone :-)

Characters:

-Pretty certain we are only getting 4 more unique characters and if Sakura is into symmetry 4 more echo fighters. Also, ONLY ALREADY ANNOUNCED FRANCHISES, so no Golden Sun nor Banjo-Kazooie, I'll explain why later:
-Geno (PERSONAL BIAS!! unique fighter from the Super Mario series and Square's 2nd rep)
-Bandana Dee (Kirby's only newcomer)
-Elma (Xenoblade's second and last rep before DLC)
-Skull Kid (at this point it's only fair, Zelda needs a new rep since Brawl)

Echo fighters:
-Shadow (:ultsonic:, obvious choice)
-Isabelle (:ultvillager:, I mean c'mon)
-Medusa (:ultpalutena:, too obvious to pass over)
-Zack (:ultcloud:, as a thank you to Square for letting Sakurai use Geno)

Some obvious choices like Impa or Rex & Pyra will have to wait til DLC.

Stages:

-103 is the final number before DLC, no new ones in the base game. That's why we aren't getting new franchises like Golden Sun in the base game.
-Even if they announce some new stages NO old stages are yet to be announced, so no Rainbow Road, no Sector Z, no Orbital Gate... these are goners, although some may return in DLC form.

ATs:

-A lot of old ATs are not coming back; that includes Infantry and Tanks, Kat & Ana, Nightmare and Tingle. The focus is to make "beatable" ATs, so Phosphora, Saki and Magnus may have no problem returning. 6 or so more brand new ATs yet to announce and also a few returning ones.

Spirits:

-A mix between Adventure mode from Melee and SSE from Brawl. No cutscenes. A variety of different things to do: side-scrolling stages like the Super Mario level from Melee's adventure mode; beat the boss; Multi-Man battles against different groups of characters; ATs will probably have an unique role here.
-This will be the easiest way to unlock characters. If you beat a character in this mode you'll unlock him/her/it.
-Pretty certain that some series are going to get unique bosses but most of them will feature playable characters as boss characters (Ganondorf, Bowser, Ridley, K. Rool...). Some unique bosses might be Hades from Kid Icarus, Black Knight from Fire Emblem and Dr. Eggman from Sonic, with the already announced Dracula and Rathalos. Some bosses may come back from Brawl (Porky, Rayquaza, Petey Piranha...).
-If we only have like 5 brand new stages it's because they put all their efforts in creating unique stages for this mode, like boss arenas and side-scrolling stages.
-A lot of enemies from Smash Run are going to return for the scrolling stages.
-I don't know why but I have the feeling that repurposed versions of Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls may be coming back as two of Spirits' mode scrolling stages.

Trophies:

-Sakurai wants to create a sort of "videogame encyclopaedia" and that's why they'll feature a lot of trophies from unrepresented 3rd party series, like he did in 4 with Rayman. So trophies from Minecraft, Dragon Quest, maybe even Fortnite (and also newer 1st party games like Arms, Snipperclips and Xenoblade 2) will be featured.
-There is going to be an easier way to obtain trophies this time around, as there will be like a thousand of them.

Game modes:

-No Master & Crazy Orders.
-Event mode is obviously coming back.
-No Break the targets nor the Angry Birds ripoff from Sm4sh.
-All-Stars is going to change drammatically or even be completely cut from the game, as it wouldn't work with 70+ characters.
-Boss Rush is probably coming back.
-Maybe a new mode where you fight alongside an AT of your choice? That would be cool.
-Miis will still be the Polygon team for this game.
-A few brand new Stadium modes.

And that's that. I don't know but I don't think they are too farfetched. Maybe I'm wrong with the characters, but who knows. You are free to pick this prediction and make your own leak in 4chan, btw!

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, given this is too quiet and we have no new leaks today I'm going to make MY FINAL PREDICTIONS *dum-dum-dummmm*, but I'll put it in a spoiler tag so I don't bother anyone :-)

Characters:

-Pretty certain we are only getting 4 more unique characters and if Sakura is into symmetry 4 more echo fighters. Also, ONLY ALREADY ANNOUNCED FRANCHISES, so no Golden Sun nor Banjo-Kazooie, I'll explain why later:
-Geno (PERSONAL BIAS!! unique fighter from the Super Mario series and Square's 2nd rep)

Echo fighters:

Stages:

-103 is the final number before DLC, no new ones in the base game. That's why we aren't getting new franchises like Golden Sun in the base game.
-Even if they announce some new stages NO old stages are yet to be announced, so no Rainbow Road, no Sector Z, no Orbital Gate... these are goners, although some may return in DLC form.

ATs:

-A lot of old ATs are not coming back; that includes Infantry and Tanks, Kat & Ana, Nightmare and Tingle. The focus is to make "beatable" ATs, so Phosphora, Saki and Magnus may have no problem returning. 6 or so more brand new ATs yet to announce and also a few returning ones.

Spirits:

-A mix between Adventure mode from Melee and SSE from Brawl. No cutscenes. A variety of different things to do: side-scrolling stages like the Super Mario level from Melee's adventure mode; beat the boss; Multi-Man battles against different groups of characters; ATs will probably have an unique role here.
-This will be the easiest way to unlock characters. If you beat a character in this mode you'll unlock him/her/it.
-Pretty certain that some series are going to get unique bosses but most of them will feature playable characters as boss characters (Ganondorf, Bowser, Ridley, K. Rool...). Some unique bosses might be Hades from Kid Icarus, Black Knight from Fire Emblem and Dr. Eggman from Sonic, with the already announced Dracula and Rathalos. Some bosses may come back from Brawl (Porky, Rayquaza, Petey Piranha...).
-If we only have like 5 brand new stages it's because they put all their efforts in creating unique stages for this mode, like boss arenas and side-scrolling stages.
-I don't know why but I have the feeling that repurposed versions of Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls may be coming back as two of Spirits' mode scrolling stages.

Trophies:

-Sakurai wants to create a sort of "videogame encyclopaedia" and that's why they'll feature a lot of trophies from unrepresented 3rd party series, like he did in 4 with Rayman. So trophies from Minecraft, Dragon Quest, maybe even Fortnite (and also newer 1st party games like Arms, Snipperclips and Xenoblade 2) will be featured.
-There is going to be an easier way to obtain trophies this time around, as there will be like a thousand of them.

Game modes:

-All-Stars is going to change drammatically or even be completely cut from the game, as it wouldn't work with 70+ characters.
-Maybe a new mode where you fight alongside an AT of your choice? That would be cool.

And that's that. I don't know but I don't think they are too farfetched. Maybe I'm wrong with the characters, but who knows. You are free to pick this prediction and make your own leak in 4chan, btw!
Dude I ****ing WISH Zack was in base game, I even made his support thread (plug), but I just don't see it. Square has little to gain from it.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
You make custom icons.
You compile support data.
You hold polls.

Hmm, that's a good question...
I also dabble in script writing, but only for silly stuff like the Dracula Scripts.
What can I say. Go from "Yoshi nut" to "death himself." Lots of crossover :yoshi:
A Deadly Dinosaur Degenerate, dealing death to all the dastards who dare defame the Dino of Green.
I'm up still because

A. I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of the responses of the Nintendo Online Service.
B. Can't sleep.
And you can't sleep because you can't work out Nintendo Online, right?

The most vicious of cycles.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Dude I ****ing WISH Zack was in base game, I even made his support thread (plug), but I just don't see it. Square has little to gain from it.
They don't have nothing to gain from Geno either and here I am, hoping he is finally in like my life depends on it :laugh: We can only hope, but seeing that Konami is in that exact same position (one unique character and another unique character and its echo) I don't think it's that impossible.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Characters:

Echo fighters:

Stages:

ATs:

Spirits:

Trophies:

Game modes:

And that's that. I don't know but I don't think they are too farfetched. Maybe I'm wrong with the characters, but who knows. You are free to pick this prediction and make your own leak in 4chan, btw![/QUOTE]
No way Elma would get in without a stage. The world is like the main part of Xenoblade X. I believe we are getting more stages, right now we have just seen every returning one. I don't see Elma happening either way though.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

Characters:

Echo fighters:

Stages:

ATs:

Spirits:

Trophies:

Game modes:

I see Elma I become a happy man.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
*idly wonders what my legacy is/will be on this site, if I have one at all*
I'm hoping I'll be known as the guy who wants obscure characters to be fighters in Smash so that they get more exposure to the masses.

D

Deleted member

And you can't sleep because you can't work out Nintendo Online, right?

The most vicious of cycles.
If you want my two cents on this, it's mainly the whole "Virtual Console" thing that people are absolutely idiotic about. For one, I will say that I do wish there was more than NES, but due to the recent 6.0.0 firmware datamine that shows SNES controllers, it can't JUST be NES and why would there be just a random SNES controller icon? I have a feeling we'll get NES and SNES as a start and work our way there.

But my main problem is how people think that this is the worse way to do Virtual Console. First off, we had to PAY for ROMs. Back in the Wii days, it was a novel concept. Though looking back, the fact that Paper Mario on the N64 was $19.99 is absurd. The fact that this practice was repeated for the Wii U and we still had to pay upfront for games, even some games costing way more than they should, AND not having as good of a library as the Wii's Virtual Console library was, is abominable.

I, and MANY others, did NOT like how Nintendo did Virtual Console the past two generations, so seeing them go for a more Netflix-style service with the Nintendo Online has to be the greatest way to go about it. I can understand, yes, we're starting back to basics, but why are we complaining when it's gonna be free? Y'know, how releasing all of Nintendo's legacy content should have been?

The fact that people, even big creators, are defending the practice of buying ROMs and not wanting Nintendo's legacy content to be free and in a streamlined part of Nintendo's Online Service a la Netflix saddens me. These games should be FREE and if people think that having to re-release these retro games behind a paywall AGAIN - which was a huge criticism of the Wii U's Virtual Console - should've been the way to go, then they can go play their ****ty, dead, piece of junk Wii U.

Aside from that, if we're gonna get dedicated servers for all these games that have online, then I'm willing to make a compromise. Also, IT'S 20 ****ING BUCKS A YEAR. WE SPENT MORE THAN 20 BUCKS BUYING AA BATTERIES FOR OUR WII CONTROLLERS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Got up stupid early to fly home for the long weekend. I miss anything?

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I know this is offtopic, but on Fanfiction site, a new fanfiction has surfaced, and it's a 6.7m words at that. Sounds like great reading to waste my time while preparing for Ultimate!
edit: I take that back, nevermind. The rest of the chapters are....
Apparentely the leak is about the 7 characters, one of which is Agnès from Bravely Default, which is why we're talking a lot about her atm.

Last edited:

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
I agree and really like how the new "VC" is going - but if every game is getting Online, what will they do if they put up single player RPGs like Earthbound? Would they just choose not to add any online functionality to those games which would be weird consideering what they said. Hypothetically, imagine if we got gamedube games one day... melee online legit... h

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If we're talking about what legacies we want to leave on this site, can I be that incredibly funny, handsome and intelligent guy that everyone loved and wanted to be like? No?

Then can I be that guy who kind of likes dragons? I've actually been thinking of changing my username to something like Dragon Master Zach or something like that, it's just that I've used this old username for such a long time I have a hard time getting myself to get rid of it. I don't even like my username, it just feels like something I'm stuck with.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Nnnnnnnnope.
If you want my two cents on this, it's mainly the whole "Virtual Console" thing that people are absolutely idiotic about. For one, I will say that I do wish there was more than NES, but due to the recent 6.0.0 firmware datamine that shows SNES controllers, it can't JUST be NES and why would there be just a random SNES controller icon? I have a feeling we'll get NES and SNES as a start and work our way there.

But my main problem is how people think that this is the worse way to do Virtual Console. First off, we had to PAY for ROMs. Back in the Wii days, it was a novel concept. Though looking back, the fact that Paper Mario on the N64 was $19.99 is absurd. The fact that this practice was repeated for the Wii U and we still had to pay upfront for games, even some games costing way more than they should, AND not having as good of a library as the Wii's Virtual Console library was, is abominable.

I, and MANY others, did NOT like how Nintendo did Virtual Console the past two generations, so seeing them go for a more Netflix-style service with the Nintendo Online has to be the greatest way to go about it. I can understand, yes, we're starting back to basics, but why are we complaining when it's gonna be free? Y'know, how releasing all of Nintendo's legacy content should have been?

The fact that people, even big creators, are defending the practice of buying ROMs and not wanting Nintendo's legacy content to be free and in a streamlined part of Nintendo's Online Service a la Netflix saddens me. These games should be FREE and if people think that having to re-release these retro games behind a paywall AGAIN - which was a huge criticism of the Wii U's Virtual Console - should've been the way to go, then they can go play their ****ty, dead, piece of junk Wii U.

Aside from that, if we're gonna get dedicated servers for all these games that have online, then I'm willing to make a compromise. Also, IT'S 20 ****ING BUCKS A YEAR. WE SPENT MORE THAN 20 BUCKS BUYING AA BATTERIES FOR OUR WII CONTROLLERS.
Depending on what the NES/SNES games end up being, I... might end up actually paying for the online.

...maybe.

Depends on how much it costs (in £, not $).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well one thing this while leak revealed was that even when your character's name is stated out loud in-game, no-one will even watch some cutscenes to do some research before doing a video on it.

It's not Ag-nes, the same way that it's not Poke-mon!

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I have issues with Nintendo's online service, but as mentioned before, it's such a miniscule payment than I can just kinda mumble and deal with it. If they intend on having more dedicated servers along with the payment, I'd consider it worth it.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
If we're talking about what legacies we want to leave on this site, can I be that incredibly funny, handsome and intelligent guy that everyone loved and wanted to be like? No?

Then can I be that guy who kind of likes dragons? I've actually been thinking of changing my username to something like Dragon Master Zach or something like that, it's just that I've used this old username for such a long time I have a hard time getting myself to get rid of it. I don't even like my username, it just feels like something I'm stuck with.
"Dragon guy?" Ooo, I instantly like you :yoshi:

And with premium, I think you can change your username (I don't use it because "Zinith" is fine for me)

D

Deleted member

Depending on what the NES/SNES games end up being, I... might end up actually paying for the online.

...maybe.

Depends on how much it costs (in £, not $).
$19.99 USD = £15.36 GBP
Granted, this is comparing the USD price yearly.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I find it hella ironic now how that I got my most wanteds in, now I'm losing sleep over echo fighters of all things.

I'm rooting super hard for Isabelle and Ken to make their way into Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom