• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't really want to reiterate what I have already said a couple of times, but ignoring the weird circumstances surrounding geno with this game, and my personal bias, why would Square go for a TWEWY or Bravely Default character over Dragon Quest? Like, Dragon Quest is the big series not called Final Fantasy, i was half expecting there to be a Dragon Quest character before a FF character. In terms of smash 3rd party, dragon quest seems to tick every single box. Why are no leaks or any guesses really going for it?
My only guess is there's really no 'iconic' DQ main character besides Loto.

When I think of 'iconic' Dragon Quest characters, my first thought is always the Slime, but, it's a slime. You could do a whole moveset for it I'm sure, but it'd almost be like if a Moogle got in over Cloud I feel.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Isaac looks like a drawing, Shadow is totally off, Agnes's eyes have something very weird, like the skin around them is less pale than the rest of the face, skull kid looks like the model used in smash 4 or maybe even is even from the 3ds remake of majora's mask (and that's probably why is so blurry).

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

Yeah I don't quite believe the leak either, but this deconfirms nothing. Let's not forget the past.
IMO I think the details on the eye line up just a little too well, from the line above it to the eyeshadow at the end. Granted, Agnes is missing some of Palutena's eyelashes, but those are by far the easiest changes to make.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If there photo is just of 8-player smash then maybe Isaac could just be using an alt colour. It would explain the hair.

Shroob

Sup?
Since I'm not familiar with Agnes.

What does she even do in her home games?
I've never really played Bravely Default for a long enough time, but from what I remember, the game is very focused around switching your characters 'jobs' ala certain Final Fantasy games.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Great. Now I'm gonna have to listen to 5 years of people requesting Agnes because of a fake leak like I did with Chorus Kids...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Great. Now I'm gonna have to listen to 5 years of people requesting Agnes because of a fake leak like I did with Chorus Kids...
You missed the height of Braverly Default my friend. She and Edea were pretty popular third party requests with big threads on Smashboards.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice

Literally everything. The game is a RPG and has a job system with 25? jobs at least. Plus the Brave and Default mechanics could be really interesting to see in Smash (one is doing more than one thing in one turn, and the other one is that shielding gives you one extra turn. It's really complicated to explain, but really, really fun)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
>Fake
>Chorus Kids
*Inhales*
boi
Yeah, Rayman would be a much better comparison.

Although I'd rather Rayman to Agnes. I just don't think Bravely Default is noteworthy enough for a third party, it's why I'd sooner think it's Ayumi

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

As others have said, she does everything any character from any Final Fantasy game with the Job System does.

You missed the height of Braverly Default my friend. She and Edea were pretty popular third party requests with big threads on Smashboards.
That's not the same thing as "character most people don't know suddenly showing up in every leak and request list" though.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just googled her and wow.

She apparently has the worst stats in her base game.

She really sounds like something I want. /s

It aso recommends making her a mage and really if we were getting a mage from Square? Please give me Black Mage or hell even Terra. She's known for being a magic user.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I really hate this leak if it's fake for giving me a sudden false hope for Agnes, a character I didn't even know I wanted.
I really hate this leak if it's real for spoiling the surprise reveal of Agnes, a character who I didn't even know I wanted.

Either way, screw leaks. I'm going to assume it's fake though.

Lots of things. I don't even know what they'd have her main method of attack be because she has so many potential skills she can learn.
The Skull Kid used in the leak could just use this photo:

Okay, this is pretty convincing. Definitely fake.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I don't want this to be debunked just yet, since it actually gave us something to do for a change.

When the blog posts are literally just "Hey, here's this thing I talked about in the Direct" or we're on the millionth "Hey, I work for Nintendo and..." leak, a leak like this with actual EFFORT put into it is something we've been sorely missing.

I know it's probably fake, but, just one more day before you out yourself, plz.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Although I'd rather Rayman to Agnes. I just don't think Bravely Default is noteworthy enough for a third party, it's why I'd sooner think it's Ayumi
It's not even that it's particularly unworthy, it's just that there are a lot of WAY more noteworthy franchises from that same developer that would make a lot more sense to add first.

It's like Bravely Default<Chrono Trigger<Mana<<<<<Dragon Quest<Kingdom Hearts

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
In the "leak" you can vaguely see the start of the hay hat at the center point of his mask. You can't see that in this particular image comparison, even after it tilts. Could be a case of photoshop, however, like with the arm.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is basically Imgur leak 2.0 for me. A leak that looks so fake that I'd like to bury it and move on, but can't because Smashboards has nothing else to talk about. Now we're reduced to scanning around for any image that might match up with the "leak".

The next wave of info can't come soon enough.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
So if the leaks real (I think it is) the final 6 stages will be:
1. Bravely Default stage
2. Rhythm Heaven stage
3. Golden Sun stage
4. Monster Hunter (I don't see why it wouldn't be)
5. Minecraft (According to Verge leak)
6. Mystery stage (My guess is either Banjo or Pokemon)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's not even that it's particularly unworthy, it's just that there are a lot of WAY more noteworthy franchises from that same developer that would make a lot more sense to add first.
This.

I don't mind BD content since it was successful and Square supporting the 3DS.

But I'd much rather have Geno for the fans or an actual iconic Square rep along the lines of Cloud.

I mean Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts alone.

Shroob

Sup?
So if the leaks real (I think it is) the final 6 stages will be:
1. Bravely Default stage
2. Rhythm Heaven stage
3. Golden Sun stage
4. Monster Hunter (I don't see why it wouldn't be)
5. Minecraft (According to Verge leak)
6. Mystery stage (My guess is either Banjo or Pokemon)
The Monster Hunter stage if you're thinking about the one in the Direct, isn't a real stage, it's a boss arena like in Subspace.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
This is basically Imgur leak 2.0 for me. A leak that looks so fake that I'd like to bury it and move on, but can't because Smashboards has nothing else to talk about. Now we're reduced to scanning around for any image that might match up with the "leak".

The next wave of info can't come soon enough.
Its funny to think we only had info 22 days ago but here we are looking for more.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
And yes, Agnes sticks out as a sore thumb because she... doesn't stick out compared to other more widely debated SE choices (Geno, Zack, Terra, Black Mage, Lara Croft, etc)

Also I saw a separate set of icons for Banjo and Dixie some pages ago. Is this related to the same rumor?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The Monster Hunter stage if you're thinking about the one in the Direct, isn't a real stage, it's a boss arena like in Subspace.
True, but there could be a non-boss VERSION of that stage like there is with Dracula's Castle.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So it seems like there are some questionable images which surfaced regarding some of the leaked characters featuring what seemed to be Agnes/Ayumi, Isaac, Chorus Kids, Ken, Skull Kid, Isabelle, Shadow and a question mark.

Personally, I'm taking this with a grain of salt for now and I would be surprised if this is true in a similar fashion to how Shulk, Bowser Jr, Dr. Mario and Duck Hunt's renders were leaked for Smash Wii-U/3DS.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Dracula's Castle also has a flat arena version when you fight Dracula. The Monster Hunter stage probably has a normal version as well like Dracula's Castle.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
All these artwork comparison is reminding me too much of ESRB lol
And no, not just "Shulk is Little Mac"
People did the exact same with Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Bowser Jr
They're the same characters, pasting artwork over them is bound to fit I guess
I still think it's fake but the entire situation is reminding me too much of ESRB

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Dracula's Castle is a stage and appears to have a flat version for the Dracula Boss battle. The inference people have made is that a similar situation with the Monster Hunter stage could be possible.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Skull Kid used in the leak could just use this photo:

It's always a little difficult to tell with Skull Kid "leaks", because you wouldn't expect there to be any big changes with the mask, it's always going to look the same, and as a result he's one of the easiest characters to make a fake leak of. I will however say that it'd be super awkward for his render to have this sort of skewed side-view, I'd definitely expect him to face the camera so we get a good look at the ever iconic Majora's Mask, like with his Hyrule Warriors render, but that's just preferences really.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
And yes, Agnes sticks out as a sore thumb because she... doesn't stick out compared to other more widely debated SE choices (Geno, Zack, Terra, Black Mage, Lara Croft, etc)

Also I saw a separate set of icons for Banjo and Dixie some pages ago. Is this related to the same rumor?
Pretty sure Banjo/Dixie is fake. Shading doesn't match at all with the images we have, which are already contentious at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom