• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Related note; How do people here gauge Verge & Loz? Those are the only two really believable text leaks.

I'm curious on what people think of Verge's smash record paired with his less reliable record for other titles and if you guys think loz just knew E3 content and proceeded to screw with people afterwards.
I can't trust loz anymore, he's acting like a little child and tries hard to be really cryptic, where as when he actually knew stuff he was direct and certain in his statements. I'm not sure whether he's making things up or some fake source is taking the piss on him, but I don't think he knows anything.

I'm not 100% on Vergeben either, his sketchy track record means that I can still see a situation where his post-E3 information is wrong. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now though.

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I'm not 100% convinced it's fake.

I still find this interesting
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76950288/907800099

It seems the context for the picture is that it's an 8 player team battle just before the match, you can see Chorus Kids in Shadows picture.
Even then Ken's blue background isn't the exact same blue as Chorus Kids' blue background. It could have something to do with the quality of the image, but given that Ken's hair is actually darker than it usually is and the blue is lighter than it is in Chorus Kids' image... I don't see how it makes sense :confused:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why does the Isaac picture look like it's got a drop shadow?

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
ppl pull out the good old little mac shulk face surgery out again mh....
guys there are only so many noses they can use to make a character,
most anime style characters are the same in strukture, the sweetspot if you will
i mean what nose and eyes should they use? squidwards nose? spongebobs nose? what about dark samuses eyes?

also i dont say its real, just that it can be real, and that face parts say nothing
It has jack to do with the shape.

You could have the exact same model and if it's turned even a single degree the light will fall on it differently and it will have different shading.

These do not have different shading. It's exactly the same. The highlights fall in the same place. The shadows fall in the same place.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
All I Know is we are hungry for new information. Is the only way I can explain the craziness made by this picture hahaha

D

Deleted member

1535582914611.jpg

I still wanna find out where Isaac's render came from.
Chorus Kid is easy to fake, Ken would be a Ryu Frankenstein like Agnes, Isabelle and Shadow would be edits of existing renders and Skull Kid would come from Smash 4.

I'll give this a 8/10 if truly fake, by far the best leak we've had all this speculation.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Just waking up. Oh, we're still talking about that fake leak with the awful and inconsistent renders? Oh. Night!

(EDIT: Also, I KNOW I've seen that Skull Kid pic before, including the blurry mess--it's not the same as the "CSS leak", but still is strikingly familiar)

Related note; How do people here gauge Verge & Loz? Those are the only two really believable text leaks.

I'm curious on what people think of Verge's smash record paired with his less reliable record for other titles and if you guys think loz just knew E3 content and proceeded to screw with people afterwards.
Comparing the two, Verge has been vague, possibly taking from other "leakers", but has been 100% right on Smash so far. Loz gave very specific claims, got E3 right, but was wrong on significant points in the August Direct. Also, Loz's bias for Skull Kid on Twitter, as well as their recent behavior (deleting profiles, switching accounts, playing games) makes me much more skeptical of them. And Verge's recent behavior, throwing hissy fits and casually dropping "leaks", makes me more skeptical of their more recent claims. But, if we go by track record, despite everyone's out-of-place hatred of the them, Verge has been better overall. Still, they're all still rumors and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Doesn't one character being found fake discredit them all?
Yes.

This is not the css. I could fake thar. I already hacked the website to make fake series banners. It is not hard

I would beleave it more if there were more to it outside small square boxes anyone can make.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I think they all look too awful to be real. Much like all other "leaks".

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The reason the Little Mac/Shulk thing was stupid was that the two models were lit completely differently. So while they did have very similar shapes, given they're both generically handsome anime boys, there was zero chance they could be the same render, because the shading was completely inverted.

If you look at every Fire Emblem character render, side by side, even though they all basically have the exact same face, they don't have identical shading. Because each one is at a different angle and lit differently. Palutena is the only one with that triangular shadow in the corner of her eye. Marth is the only one with that exact teardrop highlight on his nose.

It is trivial to recolor an image. It is extremely easy to reshape a render so that over laying them doesn't perfectly line up. I did that earlier tonight when I edited these renders to have better perspective.

The one true thing you can use to prove something is edited from something else is when the shadows and highlights are the same. Because that will never happen by coincidence.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I really want Isaac, but the render looks a little similar to Young Link's

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
A detail about Shadow's pic: The background is red, but it's cut off by blue. Likely, this is a loading screen for a battle where Player 1 is controlling Shadow.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 160563
Chorus Kid is easy to fake, Ken would be a Ryu Frankenstein like Agnes, Isabelle and Shadow would be edits of existing renders and Skull Kid would come from Smash 4.

I'll give this a 8/10 if truly fake, by far the best leak we've had all this speculation.
When you try to do fake render you should know your bases in drawing first.

Just seeing the right eye of Agnes oblige is smaller than her left is a huge fault, the right eye must be as the same size as the left and will become bigger if the face turns more and more her left while the other one will reduce..

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The reason the Little Mac/Shulk thing was stupid was that the two models were lit completely differently. So while they did have very similar shapes, given they're both generically handsome anime boys, there was zero chance they could be the same render, because the shading was completely inverted.

If you look at every Fire Emblem character render, side by side, even though they all basically have the exact same face, they don't have identical shading. Because each one is at a different angle and lit differently. Palutena is the only one with that triangular shadow in the corner of her eye. Marth is the only one with that exact teardrop highlight on his nose.

It is trivial to recolor an image. It is extremely easy to reshape a render so that over laying them doesn't perfectly line up. I did that earlier tonight when I edited these renders to have better perspective.

The one true thing you can use to prove something is edited from something else is when the shadows and highlights are the same. Because that will never happen by coincidence.
Little Mac=generically handsome anime boy

Is this some kind of code?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
View attachment 160563

I told you before Isaac is a photoshopped Little Mac

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I really want Isaac, but the render looks a little similar to Young Link's

Eh, not really. They’re just two young boys so they’re facial structure looks kinda similar, but I don’t see any of the details.

Also, did anyone point out that if that is Agnes, her hair is part the wrong way?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Eh, not really. They’re just two young boys so they’re facial structure looks kinda similar, but I don’t see any of the details.

Also, did anyone point out that if that is Agnes, her hair is part the wrong way?
The original image (I changed it in my comparison) is flipped - probably to hide Palutena's eye.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The big question I have about this is why is it this way? If it is, as has been suggested, pulled from an 8-man Smash pre fight screen, then...
  • Why not just put the whole screen rather than oddly cropped faces?
  • Why are they not all the same quality level? (Isabelle and Skull Kid are noticeably more potato quality than the others)
  • Doesn’t the new pre-battle screen have a red particle effect like the bloodmoon from BotW?
I have a feeling that this may be a compilation of a few shots, not just one.

But more broadly...I don’t care much about this. It doesn’t have my most or least wanted. It’s really just...there.

I remember when the ESRB leak came out - it was bad quality, but it was very complete. There really wasn’t a ‘lol I cropped it since I couldn’t be chuffed to draw a full render’ like there could be here. It was a set of full screens, which made it really hard to argue.

Now if this was sold as a “these characters are in” instead of “these are their renders,” it might be more believable. But I feel like just filing this in the ‘whatever’ file and not looking at it again.

Honestly, if it were real, I’d love if Sakurai and co. knew about it, and then took someone easy like Isabelle or Skull Kid to just make a new render and then release them. We’d instantly stop talking about this, and then he could still surprise us later.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
All I Know is we are hungry for new information. Is the only way I can explain the craziness made by this picture hahaha
of course lol, we're in that weird drought right in the middle term of one direct to the next, probably
as in the K. Rool/Simon hype already waned while we have no future direct on sight

so we're all gonna get crazy for every little bogus leak lmao

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
'Can't find those renders, can't find these renders'

Are you sure you were searching correctly? To be honest, I am informed with images, but I'm not sure if they are lying intentionally to make the leak seem real. Can we please stop with that?

No flaming meant, but I just think it's rude to lie. Mommy always told me to never lie.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Don't believe it even remotely, but remember when someone tried to extend the Duck Hunt Duo's render to make it look like there was an original source for it. Good times.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, I, for one, am not falling for any of this bamboozlery.

tumblr_inline_mke9plpJuC1qz4rgp.png

At least there's only one day left before the month ends, there ought to be a new Direct announcement soon afterwards.

Pretty much, I'm also kinda baffled to why they already uploaded every single character video instead of slowly uploading them with each blog post, kinda makes those blog posts feel pointless
I still maintain that the people managing the site are untrained newbies. That said, it's been suggested in the Captain Toad thread that Peach's SPP game being acknowledged may be hinting towards a possible new FS for her, which is actual food for thought.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Honestly this (fake) leak has more convincing renders.

View attachment 160566
That Banjo render is absolutely not convincing.

Sakurai loves his character poses. They all look so cool and dynamic, like they’re straight from the middle of a battle.

Simon’s render is just a front-view if his iconic back-view on the original Castlevania boxart.

Banjo’s render wouldn’t be him staring into space with a lack of any expression on his face.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
That Banjo render is absolutely not convincing.

Sakurai loves his character poses. They all look so cool and dynamic, like they’re straight from the middle of a battle.

Simon’s render is just a front-view if his iconic back-view on the original Castlevania boxart.

Banjo’s render wouldn’t be him staring into space with a lack of any expression on his face.
I said 'more convincing'. At least they don't look like total **** like the Ayume and Isabelle ones do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom