• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Of all the ****ing characters we could look into we're focusing on Skull Kid's Majora's Mask? Literally, the thing is going to look the damn same whether it's on a trophy or on a character model. The Mask is the Mask. It's going to look like that if he's playable and it's going to look like that if he's a trophy.
To be fair, we went over the other icons before.

Ken and Shadow look noticeably off (mostly Ken), we can't even tell who the girl is, Isabelle is also likely an edited official piece and the Chorus Kid is way too easy to fake.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Gonna repeat myself:

Where's the Gen7 rep?

If this leak is going to be Vergeben+Loz18+Shadow+The 2nd coming of Gematsu, then where the hell is the Gen7 mon? If Verge has 3 sources that told him that there's going to be a Gen7 'mon, and this leak is trying to merge all the credible leaks, where the hell is it?
As much as I believe Loz and Verg, we can't say those leaks are credible yet, no matter how much they've gotten right in the past. As of now they both still are supplying rumors with no proof, even if they are credible themselves as leakers.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Also, I highly doubt that's supposed to be Ayumi.

Wasn't Takamaru's caveat that he wasn't in Smash4 due to a lack of worldwide appeal? Ayumi's from a Japan exclusive Famicon game, who has literally only peaked outside of Japan through Smash.

It's most certainly Agnes, I'd bet my hat on it.

Or Tifa, but, eh.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Except Verg's doubled, no, triple downed on a Gen7 rep.

I have a hard time that this would include Ken, Isabelle, and the 2nd Square character, but NOT the Gen7 rep.
I think Verge has sauces but I'm not gonna believe him 100% just yet. He's been right so far tho so props to him there.

My problem is people going "omg just because you say it's bad doesn't mean it's fake, remember ESRB????" Every time some dipstick makes a poorly rendered leak without traceable sources we have to do a song and dance about it, and people who rightfully criticize how shoddy the work is get told that they should have a more open mind because obviously if it's disappointing and bad it must be real.

But whatever. Folks here can compare some more angles on Skull Kid if they want. Go nuts. don't believe any leaks without banjo on them
You're right. Most of the renders look pretty bad, that alone should make it obvious. If they wanted to make it even the slightest bit more convincing they would have made a fake CSS if they were trying to mimic the actually real ESRB leak, but they didn't. Just cropped images.

Chrono.

Wasn't Takamaru's caveat that he wasn't in Smash4 due to a lack of worldwide appeal? Ayumi's from a Japan exclusive Famicon game, who has literally only peaked outside of Japan through Smash.

Or Tifa, but, eh.
And even Takamaru is kinda well known among the more hardcore fans.

Ayumi doesn't really have that going for her.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Or Tifa, but, eh.
But the hair tie on the lower left...Agnes doesn’t have that.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Inb4 the next Direct shows off a character with one of these exact renders and then we're all pissed off because the leak was real...

I doubt it's real but I'm not dismissing it.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I think Verge has sauces but I'm not gonna believe him 100% just yet. He's been right so far tho so props to him there.

You're right. Most of the renders look pretty bad, that alone should make it obvious. If they wanted to make it even the slightest bit more convincing they would have made a fake CSS if they were trying to mimic the actually real ESRB leak, but they didn't. Just cropped images.
The cropped images is how they're mimicking the ESRB leak. That's how the new characters first leaked. Low-res shots cropped into a single image.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
What kind of competitive metagame do you guys hope develops for this game? I personally really want a game that punishes campy play, but still rewards good defense while pushing players towards offense.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
My problem is people going "omg just because you say it's bad doesn't mean it's fake, remember ESRB????" Every time some dipstick makes a poorly rendered leak without traceable sources we have to do a song and dance about it, and people who rightfully criticize how shoddy the work is get told that they should have a more open mind because obviously if it's disappointing and bad it must be real.

But whatever. Folks here can compare some more angles on Skull Kid if they want. Go nuts. don't believe any leaks without banjo on them
you thought that shulk was a little mac photoshop didn't you

On the topic of this, I did examination of the images and they do match up with things actually in the game, so that's not something we can debunk it with. The best excuse to why I don't think its real is because the eyes are wonky on basically all of them. Second, there's nothing in the leak saying those are the only characters, meaning that this still matches with Vergeben's leak in that department.

But overall, this is just a wait and see thing. We're in an information drought and have very little to talk about until the next big drop of news. Let people talk about it, it doesn't mean much in the long run, so chill

Chrono.

What kind of competitive metagame do you guys hope develops for this game? I personally really want a game that punishes campy play, but still rewards good defense while pushing players towards offense.
I just want Bayo dead.

Shroob

Sup?
But the hair tie on the lower left...Agnes doesn’t have that.
I mean, it's most assuredly not Ayumi either.

We haven't had a Japan exclusive character since Melee, since it seems like Sakurai wants to focus on characters EVERYONE will be able to know. Ayumi is such a literally who.

I'd be fine with her, don't get me wrong, but it's most assuredly not her if Takamaru is "Too Japanese" to be in Smash 4.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
One where my boi shines, so basically what you described if his defense gets buffed...

StormC

Smash Hero
We haven't had a Japan exclusive character since Melee, since it seems like Sakurai wants to focus on characters EVERYONE will be able to know. Ayumi is such a literally who.
:ultlucas:

But nonetheless I agree we probably won't get any more Japanese exclusive characters for the foreseeable future.

Shroob

Sup?
:ultlucas:

But nonetheless I agree we probably won't get any more Japanese exclusive characters for the foreseeable future.
Ah right, I forgot Lucas, but I'll cut myself here since I think EVERYONE knows about Mother 3, whether you like the series or not.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
here are random things

1: Skull Kid and Isabelle

2: Chorus Men

3: Ken, Isaac, Shadow

4: Agnes

All of these appear to be taken from different sources.

Mural

As some have pointed out, there's a pastel-like quality that makes them look hand-drawn. This would indicate that if it was real, all three would be Mural-taken. What's interesting about this is detecting the corners of these pictures and attempting to correlate them with the Mural.

Mural -

Shadow appears to be in front of Roy or Marth's cape, as that's where the most harsh red/black is, and his background is red/black.

Ken appears to be near a bluish white, which is consistent with the coloring near Ganondorf and Jr..

Isaac appears to be near whitish red with some green pixel in the corner. This is the first part of the leak that irks me since very little of that color exists on the mural. There's traces of it near Shulk/Peach, and we have to keep in mind that renders move, but the shading of the color seems to be consistent whereas even the brief blue/red on Ken/Shadow shift in tone.

Blurred Images

What sticks out to me here is that Isabelle and Skull Kid are unexplainably blurry. This means that these were not taken as part of the same image, as they are clearly not mural characters.

I can't explain Chorus Men or Agnes because it looks like one detail of their greater images have been unexplainably cropped, but this isn't unusal since we have other groups that aren't taken from the same source. Does that make it fake? Well, here's my verdict:

1: This goes off into the night without anything else dropping.

2: Source images for these pics turn up since they were all obviously cropped. A source image with more detail would give us more information to determine the legitimacy of this leak.

The main issue with an ESRB leak comparison at the moment is the fact that there's not even detailed pictures. People are welcome to argue the current renders don't look great, but remember that this happens with every leak, legitimate or not, and saying "Ken looks weird" when Ken is notorious for inconsistent/wonky designs doesn't strengthen your case that this is real/fake.

I have no idea at the moment. Either more will drop or more won't, and if we go 48-72 hours without any more, this is probably a fake. We could also see somebody confess that this is fake like the Springman/Decidueye leak.

Basically, if this is real, somebody has a large amount of source images they will likely be sharing later.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ah right, I forgot Lucas, but I'll cut myself here since I think EVERYONE knows about Mother 3, whether you like the series or not.
Not when Lucas was included.

Heck, Lucas probably got the most "who is that" reactions from the Brawl starting roster.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just looked Ken render on the "leak".

It is me, or does his mouth look like it have been badly put on his face? Absolutely no style.

Like, there is just something off about it.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Honestly, Sakurai would be silly to not do Skull Kid's Hyrule Warriors look. He looks SO much better there with the added assets to his character. I hope they make him more complex looking like that.
To be fair, I saw a lot of people were wishing for the same thing with Ganondorf and Zelda. And we got the OOT and ALBW designs for them instead. Not that they don't look amazing obviously.
However, I do think there will be detail to his design, I just don't expect a lot of new additions to it.
Then again it wouldn't be the first time. I'm looking at you :ultzss:.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I would prefer a metagame that can include multiple types of play. I want to see some of the other characters make it to the top for a change. Zelda, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Pokemon Trainer(which might happen), Robin, Greninja, just....anything that looks like it’s closer to a balance, impossible as that may be.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
"This reminds me a lot of the ESRB leak"
"People are struggling against this the same way they did they ESRB leak"

Except people were grasping desperately at straws to disprove the ESRB leak, you had to squint your eyes and make yourself believe the methods of 'disproving' it.

These renders unquestionably just either look like garbage or are obviously directly referenced from existing images. The images Isabelle and Skull Kid are clearly based on have both been brought up, and the others are either outright bad or so uninspired we can't even tell what character they're supposed to be.

Taking the character picks out of the equation, the quality of what's presented is either laughably low, or 90% guaranteed to be lifted from other sources, and that really should be an obvious tell to drop it.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
In the context of Brawl, Lucas probably wasn't thought of as a Japan-only since it was still thought by the dev-team that Mother 3 would be localized

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I don't even have issues with the characters chosen on this leak.

I'm 100% fine with all of them, though, I welcome pretty much anyone into Smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm absolutely devastated. Maybe it's time to retire from Smash speculation

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to play as New Villager, Master Hand, and Dovahkiin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom