• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'd get being annoyed if this was talked about days upon days on end, but it hasn't been that long. It's something to pass the time, and it's much better than some other.....recent conversations.

A week from now I doubt anyone would still give this "leak" any thought. There'll probably some new thing people will talk about that other people will in turn be equally as annoyed with.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I just looked Ken render on the "leak".

It is me, or does his mouth look like it have been badly put on his face? Absolutely no style.

Like, there is just something off about it.
All three human characters look like they have pursed lips.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
here are random things

1: Skull Kid and Isabelle

2: Chorus Men

3: Ken, Isaac, Shadow

4: Agnes

All of these appear to be taken from different sources.

Mural

As some have pointed out, there's a pastel-like quality that makes them look hand-drawn. This would indicate that if it was real, all three would be Mural-taken. What's interesting about this is detecting the corners of these pictures and attempting to correlate them with the Mural.

Mural -

Shadow appears to be in front of Roy or Marth's cape, as that's where the most harsh red/black is, and his background is red/black.

Ken appears to be near a bluish white, which is consistent with the coloring near Ganondorf and Jr..

Isaac appears to be near whitish red with some green pixel in the corner. This is the first part of the leak that irks me since very little of that color exists on the mural. There's traces of it near Shulk/Peach, and we have to keep in mind that renders move, but the shading of the color seems to be consistent whereas even the brief blue/red on Ken/Shadow shift in tone.

Blurred Images

What sticks out to me here is that Isabelle and Skull Kid are unexplainably blurry. This means that these were not taken as part of the same image, as they are clearly not mural characters.

I can't explain Chorus Men or Agnes because it looks like one detail of their greater images have been unexplainably cropped, but this isn't unusal since we have other groups that aren't taken from the same source. Does that make it fake? Well, here's my verdict:

1: This goes off into the night without anything else dropping.

2: Source images for these pics turn up since they were all obviously cropped. A source image with more detail would give us more information to determine the legitimacy of this leak.

The main issue with an ESRB leak comparison at the moment is the fact that there's not even detailed pictures. People are welcome to argue the current renders don't look great, but remember that this happens with every leak, legitimate or not, and saying "Ken looks weird" when Ken is notorious for inconsistent/wonky designs doesn't strengthen your case that this is real/fake.

I have no idea at the moment. Either more will drop or more won't, and if we go 48-72 hours without any more, this is probably a fake. We could also see somebody confess that this is fake like the Springman/Decidueye leak.

Basically, if this is real, somebody has a large amount of source images they will likely be sharing later.

I'm not trying to disprove your argument, but Ken's image looks way too detailed to be part of that mural personally. If anything, based on the lighting, those 3 images just "look" pastel like but in reality it is their 3d renders. This is assuming it is real. I personally don't believe in it (but am satisfied with it enough to be proven wrong and be happy about it)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Chorus Men and Ayumi(If it is her), would be interesting though for reasons other than them being newcomers.

They're both characters that Sakurai considered for Smash at one point or another, which really gives more oomph to the 'everyone is here' thing.

Though of course, we have no way of knowing if that even is Ayumi or Agnes.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here's a twist on the 'pick some newcomers' games we've been playing based on our conversations yesterday (or the day before?)

We were arguing over whether it was better to add characters from newer games for their relevance to newer fans or older games for their nostalgia factor for older fans. So let's consider adding newcomers to represent time eras - you need to choose a newcomer who debuted in each of the 5-year periods below.

Before 1990
1990-1995
1995-2000
2000-2005
2005-2010
2010-2015
After 2015
Sounds fun!

Before 1990 - Toad (with Toadette as Echo Fighter)
1990 - 1995 - Dixie Kong
1995 - 2000 - Meowth (with Alolan Meowth as Echo Fighter)
2000 - 2005 - Isaac (with Felix as Echo Fighter)
2005 - 2010 - Chibi-Robo
2010 - 2015 - Wandering Heroes from StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii I & II
After 2015 - Spring Man (with Ribbon Girl as Echo Fighter)

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
hey, come on, it's just a bit of fun speculating with this. some people aren't as easily convinced of things as others, it's not really good to be mad at them for it. it's a smash discussion board, this is a decently interesting smash-related topic for some people, it seems harmless enough. plus, the nice thing about this leak is it'll be pretty evident if it's real or not if we see just one, one of these characters is announced.

edit - I personally don't fully believe in any leaks (barring like a full match being played out in good quality) but that's sort of the point of speculation leaks, imo? i don't set out to prove or disprove them when they pop up, I like them for watching how they play out. It's a lot of fun to just have them hanging around and see what's up. some leaks maybe mention that jigglypuff has a new FS five words into the leak after footage of Jiggs' FS has been shown, or are blatantly joke leaks, but for the most part they're like a fun little surprise, especially when one has thought and/or effort behind it.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'm not trying to disprove your argument, but Ken's image looks way too detailed to be part of that mural personally. If anything, based on the lighting, those 3 images just "look" pastel like but in reality it is their 3d renders. This is assuming it is real. I personally don't believe in it (but am satisfied with it enough to be proven wrong and be happy about it)
I've seen someone suggest it might actually be in-game portraits instead.

Don't really know. My main hitch is that there's not enough. ESRB leak was half a dozen images with a lot to pick apart. These are closer up renders. Armchairing graphic design artists are going to call them fake/bad no matter what but since source renders haven't been found I'm willing to give this vague noncommittal attention until a few days have passed and nothing else turns up.

Shroob

Sup?
Can someone humor me and do an overlay with Ken's image with Ryu's Ultimate model?

I know "Haha photoshopped little mac", but it really does look like it's an edited Ryu.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
If we do get Dovahkiin and one of the alts ISN'T an Argonian, I'm gonna riot!!!
Scalie.
I want one of his alts to be a "modded skyrim" alt so he has a dragon-sized **** flopping all over the screen at all times.
It doesn't even have a hurtbox it's just There.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I've seen someone suggest it might actually be in-game portraits instead.

Don't really know. My main hitch is that there's not enough. ESRB leak was half a dozen images with a lot to pick apart. These are closer up renders. Armchairing graphic design artists are going to call them fake/bad no matter what but since source renders haven't been found I'm willing to give this vague noncommittal attention until a few days have passed and nothing else turns up.
yea the blue bg on ken might actually be in game portrait stuff

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
"Boring Top 5"

Really? This is a thing now?

I know that some of the choices here and there might be tad uninteresting to some, but I'd rather we have the most ultimate Smash ever, meaning that if we can satisfy as many big fanbases and generally agreed "musts" on the roster by the community (Ridley, K.Rool) as possible, the better. So far the roster's brimming with such in the newcomer-side, and the Echoes also are pushing on this pretty well.

So if peeps will be definitely flipping out in bliss on Geno, Isaac, Banjo, Skull Kid, Incineroar... then that's only a good thing. I think we already lost some wanted All-Stars in the way to really make this even more "Ultimate" (Waluigi, Ashley/WW-Reps, Bomberman, other Zelda-reps, Captain Toad, etc.), so I rather take anything close overall popular/favored picks in the community as we can get.

Also I could imagine people saying that Ridley and Rool are"boring" too, if they weren't yet revealed so far, but we got other big hitters similar to them prior - though I guess it'd been accompanied highly by some naturally deeming them impossible due 4's "implementation" of both big guys.

And once again, people here are also taking these "popular five" already in kind of a face value... We still aren't knowing who'll be coming next. Looks like you all could be easily flung a curveball right the next Direct or similar.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
for the record, this was the first ESRB image -

this guy is attempting to emulate that, real or fake, hence why I imagine larger images will turn up since everything here looks cropped and separated.

I'll come back in like... 12-24 hours or something while I do other stuff, there's nothing really left to detail since this is all so tiny and there's nowhere enough detail to do a real hard analysis of it

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
My biggest question for the leak is:

How would they have soo many different arts from different places?

The art for Isabelle and Skull Kid look like they're screenshots from the CSS, while Ayu-nes and Ken look like their HD renders from the website, while Shadow looks like he's part of the banner, and Chorus Kids are probably from their splash screen.

It's just really, really weird.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

this guy is attempting to emulate that, real or fake, hence why I imagine larger images will turn up since everything here looks cropped and separated.

I'll come back in like... 12-24 hours or something while I do other stuff, there's nothing really left to detail since this is all so tiny and there's nowhere enough detail to do a real hard analysis of it
Oh I remember this. Can't believe I forgot about it.

Slavic

My biggest question for the leak is:

How would they have soo many different arts from different places?

The art for Isabelle and Skull Kid look like they're screenshots from the CSS, while Ayu-ness and Ken look like their HD renders from the website, while Shadow looks like he's part of the banner, and Chorus Kids are probably from their splash screen.

It's just really, really weird.
everything about the leak is weird, which is why I think it's fascinating

Noipoi

Howdy!

Smell that?
Smells like a classic leak.
Just like Mama used to make.

Slavic

i can't believe this nearly leaked how the ultimate roster would be organized

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Inb4 the next Direct shows off a character with one of these exact renders and then we're all pissed off because the leak was real...

I doubt it's real but I'm not dismissing it.
I’m not against that too much

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
If its Agnes then its obvious marketing situation similar to Bayo that square probably begged sakurai to do for BD 3 on Switch

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Ok what was the argument used against Duck Hunt back then? Fanmade?
IIRC someone tried to pull a fast one by making their own "completed" render to make people believe that it was fake.

As you could probably tell, that ended poorly for them.

Edit: oh, i'm a little too slow there

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There were lengthy discussions about whether or not the length of the duck's neck was unrealistically long in an attempt to disprove it.

Those were dark times.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Why would the Chorus Kids still be in 2D?

Not like they would look bad in 3D.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I just looked up the ESRB leak and looked at some reactions to it back when it was still in contention, and alongside the reasons everyone else listed, a lot of people just outright didn't give Duck Hunt the time of day, saying that he was way too much of an "out-there" choice, and clearly made the leak fake.

Similar arguments were made for Dark Pit and Dr. Mario, and one user I saw even claimed the same thing about Shulk.

Shroob

Sup?
I'll never understand why Mewtwo had a ? in the ESRB and not an X like the others.

Did the ESRB leaker know about Mewtwo being in, but not knowing he was DLC?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
There were lengthy discussions about whether or not the length of the duck's neck was unrealistically long in an attempt to disprove it.

Those were dark times.
I'm looking at the original images and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how the **** it came to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom