• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
So let me get this straight.
Sakurai not only directly copied the model over, didn't touch it up at all for the CSS, then placed it in a pose identical to a picture on the web.
Interesting.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

So who wants to nitpick this one?

Everybody sit down. I got this one.

It is clear to me, from what has been presented, that claiming these two photos are the same, sits on the edge of “very likely” and “no question.”

Judge: “No ****.”

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
So let me get this straight.
Sakurai not only directly copied the model over, didn't touch it up at all for the CSS, then placed it in a pose identical to a picture on the web.
Interesting.
how do you know its the same model from a blurry picture lol

blazefan519

Smash Ace
The hat looks to be in a different position than the original but, I kinda stopped caring because I need sleep. If we're still debating about this by the time I wake up, I'll be fully convinced this thread is deranged kek

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I never dismiss leaks like this straight out of hand because I was one of the ones ripping the ESRB leak apart with all its inconsistencies and uh, welp. On the flipside I was pretty hyped up for the Rayman "leak" and that turned out fake so I've been on both sides of that fence.

I always take the acknowledge and then wait and see approach.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Honestly, Sakurai would be silly to not do Skull Kid's Hyrule Warriors look. He looks SO much better there with the added assets to his character. I hope they make him more complex looking like that.

Chrono.

Honestly, Sakurai would be silly to not do Skull Kid's Hyrule Warriors look. He looks SO much better there with the added assets to his character. I hope they make him more complex looking like that.
Yeah plus ATs generally have **** models anyway.

I mean, I love Zero, but he looks atrocious in Ultimate. But it makes sense since they're meant to last a couple seconds and be done with.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Rayman leak from Smash4 is enough for this to be suspicious.
And the Skull Kid render has already been found. As for others, give it time.

StormC

Smash Hero
"Hey guys, the leak is fake. Here's the process I took to create the renders..."

Smash speculators:

Shroob

Sup?
To make me take interest in it, all they'd have had to do was show me the Gen7 rep.

You're telling me you're gonna throw in Ken, Isabelle and presumably the 2nd Square Rep(If it's Agnes), but NOT show the Gen7 rep?

Feels like some realized how quick Pokemon fans are to debunk fake renders like that Banjo/Incineroar leak, and how much harder it is to make a fake Pokemon render compared to a human.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I mean comparing the Ken face to Ryu's I'd be highly upset if they ****ed him up that much. What is it with people getting Kens face wrong these days

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman

So who wants to nitpick this one?
Now this is what I'm talking about. Actual comparisons instead of just saying "It's fake. Good night." Nitpick I shall.

A closer angle, but still not the same. The white lines on the mask have inconsistent sizes, same with the green area on the lower right side. Also various differences around the top of the mask. The right pic has different shading and angles on the spikes/horns. In general the mask on the right seems smaller. The white ring on the hat in the right pic can't be seen, when it should be present even in blurriness. The right pic in general has red coloring that by all intents and purposes shouldn't be there if this was a copy. Whatever that yellowish-orange like thing at the very top right of the second pic doesn't look like anything in the left pic.

If it's a copy of the left image it's heavily edited. If it's not a copy then I don't know what the hell the right pic is.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Honestly the fact the some images are based on the mural makes it likely to be fake. I mean how in the heck did this person even get those portraits?

Chrono.

I mean comparing the Ken face to Ryu's I'd be highly upset if they ****ed him up that much. What is it with people getting Kens face wrong these days
I don't know man, but it makes me sad.

Ken is a handsome rich dude with a hot wife but they make him look like he hasn't showered in weeks.

Untouch

Smash Master
Now this is what I'm talking about. Actual comparisons instead of just saying "It's fake. Good night." Nitpick I shall.

A closer angle, but still not the same. The white lines on the mask have inconsistent sizes, same with the green area on the lower right side. Also various differences around the top of the mask. The right pic has different shading and angles on the spikes/horns. In general the mask on the right seems smaller. The white ring on the hat in the right pic can't be seen, when it should be present even in blurriness. The right pic in general has red coloring that all intents and purposes shouldn't be there if this was a copy. Whatever that orange like thing at the top right of the second pic doesn't look like anything in the left pic.

If it's a copy of the left image it's heavily edited. If it's not a copy then I don't know what the hell the right pic is.
It is a blurry, low resolution picture.

So did you guys all humor the Decidueye and Spring-Man video this much?
No, springman looked really stiff in that video. Looked really off.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
so i lined up skull kid's left eye in gimp and changed the opacity of the leak

Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png

you can see that the left side of the image doesn't align nearly as well as the right side does

I WILL NOT say this leak is real

but it's also not dead

Chrono.

you guys are still doing the "THIS CHARACTERS LOOKS LIKE THE CHARACTER THEY ARE OMG FAKE" bit
This is way more than that.

Even if it's blurry, you can tell Skull Kid's shading on the leak is a 1:1 match to the Skull Kid trophy in 4.

If he was playable, his model would definitely not look exactly like the shoddy Trophy model.

Shroob

Sup?
Gonna repeat myself:

Where's the Gen7 rep?

If this leak is going to be Vergeben+Loz18+Shadow+The 2nd coming of Gematsu, then where the hell is the Gen7 mon? If Verge has 3 sources that told him that there's going to be a Gen7 'mon, and this leak is trying to merge all the credible leaks, where the hell is it?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
It's weird to me that someone would take time to make like, 6 fake renders that look pretty decent then just be like 'stuff it, I'll throw in a cropped trophy too'.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'll say it again.
All of the CSS pictures have had major touchups and have new textures. I know it's hard to compare directly as the picture is very blurry, but even if the model was directly ported over it wouldn't look the same.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Gonna repeat myself:

Where's the Gen7 rep?

If this leak is going to be Vergeben+Loz18+Shadow+The 2nd coming of Gematsu, then where the hell is the Gen7 mon? If Verge has 3 sources that told him that there's going to be a Gen7 'mon, and this leak is trying to merge all the credible leaks, where the hell is it?
To echo the words of someone else: A leak isn't more real or fake depending on what characters are or aren't in it.

But this one is totally fake because the renders mostly look like ass looool.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Of all the ****ing characters we could look into we're focusing on Skull Kid's Majora's Mask? Literally, the thing is going to look the damn same whether it's on a trophy or on a character model. The Mask is the Mask. It's going to look like that if he's playable and it's going to look like that if he's a trophy.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
The picture is angled, it was taken on a monitor, you cannot compare it directly.
but part of it does align nearly perfectly, so either the whole picture should or it should be off in the same way across the whole image like

if it was angled then the difference should be in the same direction from the source image, but instead it extends both left and right past the 'source' instead of one direction or another if it was due to a slanted photo

I switched from my education major because I'm terrible at explaining things so this might not make like any sense and I apologize in advance.

either way I think this is a way more fun discussion than usual in this thread

Shroob

Sup?
To echo the words of someone else: A leak isn't more real or fake depending on what characters are or aren't in it.

But this one is totally fake because the renders mostly look like *** looool.
Except Verg's doubled, no, triple downed on a Gen7 rep.

I have a hard time that this would include Ken, Isabelle, and the 2nd Square character, but NOT the Gen7 rep.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey if people want to spend time looking into this stuff I say why not.
My problem is people going "omg just because you say it's bad doesn't mean it's fake, remember ESRB????" Every time some dipstick makes a poorly rendered leak without traceable sources we have to do a song and dance about it, and people who rightfully criticize how shoddy the work is get told that they should have a more open mind because obviously if it's disappointing and bad it must be real.

But whatever. Folks here can compare some more angles on Skull Kid if they want. Go nuts. don't believe any leaks without banjo on them

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
A lot of this distinctly reminds me of the "It's just a photoshopped Litle Mac/Wario's eye looks weird/G&W bleeds into other renders/dr. mario looks like Mario" stuff. Really vague criticisms.

The Skull Kid photo looks similar but there is a deficiency in quality on the "leak" image and inevitably Skull Kid's render will look similar since he's in a basic mask.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Except Verg's doubled, no, triple downed on a Gen7 rep.

I have a hard time that this would include Ken, Isabelle, and the 2nd Square character, but NOT the Gen7 rep.
Gen 7 rep is the ? on the roster.

That's the only way it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom