• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind, but of course, my priorities are for the literal other humanized Monado. It depends on where you look, I suppose, I've seen a good amount wanting someone else. Mainly why I think it'd be a Corrin-esque situation is because Elma is from a game only released on the Wii U (as of now, that is), and even if it's Xenoblade, people - heck, even Nintendo - would really like to forget about that era. And we know how the internet will react to anything Wii U-related nowadays, HEYO.
If she's in she'll almost certainly be announced alongside an X port anyway, just like Shulk was with the 3DS port

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'd be perfectly happy if the safe roster predictions end up more or less being what we get, because I really like those rosters, and at the end of the day the end result is more important than a surprise moment.

Besides, this game has already surprised us a lot compared to our expectations before its reveal, people just forget that because they're impatient and expect there to be daily developments.
If someone stated 7 months ago that Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, Ridley, Simon, Richter, Chrom and Dark Samus were all more likely to be playable than Spring Man or Rex, you'd have been laughed at. Just keep this in mind.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Banjo wasn't heavily suggested for Smash until the Phil Spencer comment. Up until that point he was just considered impossible and written out.

By that point, the Ballot had been going on. I'm not sure for how long, but I don't think it was too long after the ballot started

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The aim is probably to have as large an audience as possible. The E10 rating is so that the large amount of parents with kids under that age limit buy the game. There's not really anything needed in the game which would require a T rating, except a Tharja trophy. In terms of what they're doing with the roster and catering to competitive, they're definitely catering to the older and/or competitive audiences as well.

The fact that Banjo, Isaac, and Geno as candidates can be considered "generic" and "flavorless" speaks volumes about how spoiled we've been getting with Ultimate so far. In the Brawl or even the Smash 4 days, these three would be considered dream picks. Add just those three as uniques and you've satisfied thousands if not millions of people who grew up with their games.
Oh I couldn't agree more. This game is objectively flawless in my eyes. I just want Paper Mario, but I can see that so well. It's honestly just heartwarming. I love Smash!!

Sorry, but even with TTYD as my all time favorite game, the previous 2 (techincally 3 since Paper Jam) Paper Mario entries have all but diminished my desire for him. Unless they were to only base him primarily on SPM and before, I don't really want much to do with him.

I think a lot of people feel the same, since he hasn't been showing up as much. At least Geno could represent the heydays of the Mario RPGs.

And I don't see how that lineup isn't flavorful. It's extremely diverse.
Did K. Rool represent Sluggers and that DK racing game? Nope. He represented himself in the form fans love best.
Sakurai is aware of what we feel as fans. I doubt he'd have more SS elements than any elements of the first trilogy.

I'd say medium. She could be DLC.
Naw it's done bro. That's just in my eyes though. Keep hoping!

It really doesn't matter what the Smash fanbase thinks is likely though, it won't change the end result.
Yep, just discouraging.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Character 1: I'd replace Wii Fit Trainer and add Miyabi from Senran KaguraView attachment 160184
Character 2: I'd replace Snake and add Homura from Senran KaguraView attachment 160185
Character 3: I'd replace Mewtwo and add Asagi from DisgaeaView attachment 160186
Character 4: I'd replace Captain Falcon and add Kuon from Utawarerumono (my profile picture)View attachment 160187
1516085031466.png

Man that's a lot of stretches for the term games. It scares me even more you replaced some of the manliest ones with anime

Enchess

Smash Lord
I just find extremely funny female representation was shut down because "Sakurai doesn't fill quotas" but now half of this thread DEMANDS a focus on old characters.
Unfortunately the only way we can get good representation in Smash is if Nintendo starts getting better at representation in other games. Still push for it. The more they see we care, the more they'll see potential profit in doing the right thing.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
One weird thing about Banjo's sudden popularity is just how short his history with Nintendo is. He was really only a Nintendo character for about 2 years. Unless you owned a Nintendo 64 from 1998-2000, he's basically a non-entity unless you were really into Diddy Kong Racing or Nuts and Bolts. Compare this with something like K. Rool, who was still criticized for being short lived, who appeared in 14 years worth of games spanning across 4 console generations.

I don't know if this is really something that holds Banjo and Kazooie back as a fighter, but its still an interesting shower thought.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Now thats the T rated smash bros Im talkin about
lol yeah, I mean Senran Kagura and Utawarerumono are both rated M (and Senran Kagura is full of naked girls) and Disgaea is rated T, so yeah they'd probably make Smash T, unless they lowered the breast sizes drastically for the Senran Kagura girls

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here's that Japanese poll. #7 is ****ing fantastic, by the way. I just want Sans in for the memes at this point lmao

Sans isn't even really a bad character. He's just from a game associated with not very good things.

also

>14. Steve - Minecraft
what did I ****ing tell you folks

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Did K. Rool represent Sluggers and that DK racing game? Nope. He represented himself in the form fans love best.
Sakurai is aware of what we feel as fans. I doubt he'd have more SS elements than any elements of the first trilogy.
Don't put words in the man's mouth, please.

K. Rool represented his appearances in the mainline series. Sticker Star and Color Splash are mainline Paper Mario games. I don't see why Sakurai wouldn't encompass the entire Paper Mario series, especially since Sticker Star still sold well to my knowledge.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I just find extremely funny female representation was shut down because "Sakurai doesn't fill quotas" but now half of this thread DEMANDS a focus on old characters.
I just want fun and unique characters, it's just coincidently the majority of my list is female. Although I have problems with Smashboards currently having Saber as a broken image. What do you have against Saber Smashboards? XD
So is it safe to put Shantae to rest or still a HIGH possibility?
I say her chance is in the middle about 50/50 maybe base roster if not DLC.

Edit: *stabbed in back* Ow, what th- *pulls out object* a Shurik-ugh? *thud*
:ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
View attachment 160188

Man that's a lot of stretches for the term games. It scares me even more you replaced some of the manliest ones with anime
It's not stretching at all. All four of the characters I mentioned originated in video games. They just happened to all have anime adaptations later down the line.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Apparently Shovel Knight thought being in Rivals of Aether and an Assist Trophy in Smash wasn't enough. The guy is getting his own fighting game.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I don’t demand old characters. I pitch in for characters I like. Race, sex, gender, age and all of that....is not how I judge anything. If I want an old, male character...it isn’t because he’s old and male. Demanding characters simply because of those things is just as prejudice as as excluding them for it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do you have any proof that Japan trashed the game and Color Splash nation-wide? Did the directors of each game said it wasn't "canon" to Paper Mario?
If you answered "no", congratulations, your opinion influenced your post!

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I don't get where all these "please not an obvious roster Sakurai" reactions are coming from. I mean, if you prefer they announce Baby Chauncey from Luigi's Mansion instead of extremely requested characters like Isaac and Banjo just because they surprised you...

I mean, Sakurai could literally give us every video game character we want and there would be someone saying "yah but where is Simba from the Lion king? He appeared in Kingdom Hearts dude".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's not stretching at all. All four of the characters I mentioned originated in video games. They just happened to all have anime adaptations later down the line.
But you replaced some of the arguably most loved Smash characters. And Wii Fit Trainer.
You could've chose anyone else but you chose them, that just confuses me.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Sorry, but even with TTYD as my all time favorite game, the previous 2 (techincally 3 since Paper Jam) Paper Mario entries have all but diminished my desire for him. Unless they were to base him primarily on SPM and before, I don't really want much to do with him.

I think a lot of people feel the same, since he hasn't been showing up as much in fan rosters and polls. If this were the Brawl days, he and Geno would be neck and neck for me. At least Geno could represent the heydays of the Mario RPGs.

And I don't see how that lineup isn't flavorful. It's extremely diverse.
For me it's that every roster is the same, maybe with one or two echoes swapped out. There's very little variety and it gets boring looking at them. And honestly I don't care about any of the popular characters, exept for Bandana Dee.

D

Deleted member

>14. Steve - Minecraft
what did I ****ing tell you folks
Unfortunately so, Minecraft is huge in Japan. I mean, huge. If you got Arino-kacho from Game Center CX playing it and making it a web-series online, you know your game hit the big time.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Don't put words in the man's mouth, please.

K. Rool represented his appearances in the mainline series. Sticker Star and Color Splash are mainline Paper Mario games. I don't see why Sakurai wouldn't encompass the entire Paper Mario series, especially since Sticker Star still sold well to my knowledge.
First of all, Sticker Star is without a doubt the most hated Paper Mario game. Didn't stop Smash 4 from getting a Sticker Star stage, but still, that's a point worth nothing, imo.

Second, Sakurai is never forced to use modern stuff. In fact, he went on to say that if Namco forced him to use the Ghostly Adventures design for Pac-Man, he would've straight up cut him from Smash 4. And while nothing was said about Simon, he still uses his NES design rather than the modern look.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't get where all these "please not an obvious roster Sakurai" reactions are coming from. I mean, if you prefer they announce Baby Chauncey from Luigi's Mansion instead of extremely requested characters like Isaac and Banjo just because they surprised you...

I mean, Sakurai could literally give us every video game character we want and there would be someone saying "yah but where is Simba from the Lion king? He appeared in Kingdom Hearts dude".
The difference is that people want a GOOD surprise, not just a surprise for a surprise sakes.

:ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt: were all characters no one expected and most smashers would tell you they're pretty awesome.

A good surprise makes sense in hindsight. A bad surprise is just... a surprise.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
The difference is probably that those were just spinoffs, whereas Sticker Star, Color Splash, etc. are considered main series Mario games. Another point is the Paper Mario stage being 2/3 Sticker Star. I am confident though if Paper Mario got in that we'd see a decent amount of representation from the first three games.

How about a game until a new major leak pops up? (I have an odd hunch we'll know everything about the game by late September and a September or October direct will confirm some big controversial leak)

You can add up to 4 new characters, literally anyone you want that has appeared in a video game before (yes, even shrek or Goku, but preferably from a Nintendo console game or handheld), but you have to axe a character from each previous SSB game.

To get your first character, you must remove someone from Smash for Wii U/3DS. That character will also no longer appear in Ultimate so choose carefully!! To get your second character, you now also have to remove a character from Brawl (and they wouldn't appear in any future games, including Ultimate!). To get your third character, go back to Melee, and if you want that final character you need to axe an original 12.

You can choose to add up to 4, but don't need to add 4. I'll go now as an example:

Character 1: Banjo-Kazooie
Character to Cut for Banjo-Kazooie (reminder, first character cut is from Wii U/3DS and is also removed from Ultimate): Dark Pit
Character 2: Doom-Guy
Character to be cut for Doom-Guy: Toon Link
Character 3: Sylux
Character to be cut for Sylux: Pichu
Character 4: N/A
Character to be cut for N/A: Not Applicable (Never want to cut an original 12 personally)

I want to see who you guys would want to add and who you would remove to get them.
Character 1: Banjo-Kazooie
Cut: Dark Pit (or, if that's a cop-out, Wii Fit Trainer)
Character 2: Geno
Cut: Toon Link
Character 3: Isaac
Cut: Pichu

And I will not cut a character from the original 12. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Puff, but only if I had to.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
But you replaced some of the arguably most loved Smash characters. And Wii Fit Trainer.
You could've chose anyone else but you chose them, that just confuses me.
I replaced them because I don't like them. Everyone else may like them, but if they weren't included, I'd be fine with it.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Are you one of those people that think a game sucks if it’s not rated T or M?
No, but I would like to know where a game target audience is. Brawl was rated T and still sold like hot cakes. Smash WiI U sold less because it was on a failing console. It also was rated lower so it didn't boost sales either. (Not to mention this is U.S specific.)

Older fans should consider themselves lucky that Sakurai is considering them so much. Yes, if your 21+, your wants is probably going to be way different than what a kid/teen want. I never heard of K. Rool, Isaac, Geno, Banjo, and I was 17. I'm 19 now and I still wouldn't have voted for them on the ballot. Older fans are just far more vocal and rigged the ballot by casting multiple votes. I am expecting a lot more relevant characters as DLC to compensate for this catering to the hardcore base on characters that either hasn't appeared in their series for many many years/ are from dead series. No one asked for Duck Hunt, Wii Fit, Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B. Sakurai chose them due to his bias and fans has just come to terms in speculating a WTF pick due to Sakurai history of adding obscure WTF characters, so it's not like older characters must be present .
Elma definitely should have priority over these older characters at the very very least. I would be fine if Sakurai just added Isaac/Banjo/Geno/ what other non-relevant characters that older people want as long as DLC is for relevancy and newer picks. I will apologize in advance, but if these characters don't make it in the base game; I won't be advocating for them to be DLC and I certainly wouldn't vote for them if a ballot popped up. They just don't click with me as someone who grew up in 2007+ era games.

At least I can be excited for DLC. Don't get me wrong, this roster is extremely good. I'm just young.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
if I'm not mistaken the "some reason" was the fact that Master Hand was seemingly bleeding in a Subspace Emissary CGI cutscene
Ha, I just rewatched the Subspace cutscenes and noticed that. I thought "Wait, I don't remember seeing blood in Smash bros anywhere else!"

Pakky

Smash Hero
... I hope Paper Mario is in and that Miyamoto didn't storm the Sora Limited office when he found out Sakurai was working on him...

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
The difference is that people want a GOOD surprise, not just a surprise for a surprise sakes.

:ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt: were all characters no one expected and most smashers would tell you they're pretty awesome.

A good surprise makes sense in hindsight. A bad surprise is just... a surprise.
God, nearly everyone hated R.O.B, Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt when they got announced. I mean, when the ESRB leak happened and everyone discovered that all we had left were Shulk, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt people went CRAZY because "Duck Hunt!?!?! Who asked for Duck Hunt!?!?". It was amazing to see, actually.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Smash WiI U sold less because it was on a failing console and was rated lower. (Not to mention this is U.S specific.)
I'm fairly confident that the rating had **** all to do with Smash Wii U's sales.

D

Deleted member

... I hope Paper Mario is in and that Miyamoto didn't storm the Sora Limited office when he found out Sakurai was working on him...
Don't worry, my guy! He'll be in!

...As an assist trophy, per Miyamoto's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom