• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Isn't she deconfirmed, as Reset Bomb Forest is returning?

Unless Alfonzo takes her place.
Yes.. Viridi appears on the Reset Bomb forest stage just to throw the reset bomb to shift the stage.. So Viridi deconfirmed.

Medusa is probably more likely just because she was around before Uprising. More established in the series, and then Sakurai couldn't even be accused of bias
Exactly, Medusa is more likely especially because Viridi deconfirmed as stage hazard and there seems to be a theme to add more villains.. Oh and another echo fighter not many seem to be talking about that is possible is Hilda from LBTW, Zelda is after all in her LBTW attire.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's my timeline:

64 - Never played this one when it came out. I didn't have a N64 and Smash 64 came out a few months before I was born. I later got it on the virtual console when I was about 10, but I never played much of it, as I figured there was no reason to when I could just play Brawl.

Melee - My first exposure to Melee was when I was about 5 or 6, my cousin offered to play it with me, but I said I couldn't because it was rated T and I wasn't a teenager (I know, lame move on my part). I later picked up a copy when I was 7 or 8, right when I was getting into Pokemon, as I thought a game with both Mario and Pokemon in it was the most amazing thing I ever heard of. At the time, the only characters I knew were the Mario and Pokemon cast.

Brawl - I first discovered Brawl was a thing when I was on Squirtle's wikipedia page in early 2008. I got the page about Squirtle and Pokemon Trainer's upcoming inclusion in Brawl, and little Garteam was never the same when he found there was a Smash game coming to Wii. Every month I would go with my Dad to the local Rogers (Canadian technology store that used to rent games and movies) and ask if they had a copy of Brawl to rent, only to find out the game wasn't out yet. Eventually, my persistence payed off, as I finally rented Brawl when I was 8 and bought it shortly after. By this point, I had played Kirby and Legend of Zelda, so I knew those characters from then on. However, most of the roster was largely unknown.

Smash 4 - I remember when Smash 4 was announced in E3 2013, I was 13 and just coming home from school that day when I saw the news. By this point, I had either played most series or had learned about them through Smash speculation, so I had at least a decent knowledge of who each character is. When I was 15, my Dad came home with a copy of Smash for Wii U, a Gamecube controller adaptor, and a new Smash Bros Gamecube controller.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It makes me sad when I see people predicting my boi being low tier without enough information to make that determination...
Yoshi could be anywhere on the tier list.

Except on the top. :troll:
---
Oh yeah, just so what Arigarmy is referencing about what I said about Kids and Shooters (which was weeks ago, btw) is not misconstrued; what I said was that if Kids want to play shooters (and some of them, not all, do), they will get their hands on them.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
It makes me sad when I see people predicting my boi being low tier without enough information to make that determination...
If you look for people that say these things you will find them. I haven't see stuff because nobody really talks about Yoshi.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Has it definitely been confirmed that 8 player smash is still a thing in Ultimate?
Yes. It's been seen in the Directs, and Sakurai himself said it would be returning.

All stages are now eligible for 8PS, not just select ones.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
There's a thread about first impressions of the demo and currently it's chalk FULL of tier lists, even for characters that aren't in the demo...
Someone ranking Yoshi low on a hypothetical tier list with every character, even with those not playable should not rustle your jimmies. They mean nothing at this point.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the clarification guys. I was nearly 100% sure it was still a thing but I wanted to be certain before buying 7 sets of new controllers.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Yes.. Viridi appears on the Reset Bomb forest stage just to throw the reset bomb to shift the stage.. So Viridi deconfirmed.

Exactly, Medusa is more likely especially because Viridi deconfirmed as stage hazard and there seems to be a theme to add more villains.. Oh and another echo fighter not many seem to be talking about that is possible is Hilda from LBTW, Zelda is after all in her LBTW attire.
I actually low key think Medusa is one of the most likely echoes rn

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now that feels right. I wonder what variations we'll get, depending on whether or when more third parties will show up.

I actually low key think Medusa is one of the most likely echoes rn
Either unique or echo is likely, but after Pittoo's demotion into Echo designation, I have a hunch Sakurai would make Medusa unique, given her seniority status.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I love how this is both a thing of beauty, and severely triggers certain people here.
I remember the fan dream rosters, I remember how they would have stupid stuff that would never happen like Cloud, or Pacman, or Megaman. I remember all the animated parody videos with characters like that showin up.

Now its real

KMDP

Smash Legend
Someone ranking Yoshi low on a hypothetical tier list with every character, even with those not playable should not rustle your jimmies. They mean nothing at this point.
Even the hypothetical tier lists I made based on prior placements a few weeks ago mean zilch, nada, nothing.

And still I know at least one person thought I was making a serious tier list (not naming names, though).
The next thing of beauty would be
Mario & Luigi vs. DK & Diddy (or Diddy & Dixie) vs. Sonic & Tails vs. Ryu and Ken

Make it happen, Sack of Rice.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I love how this is both a thing of beauty, and severely triggers certain people here.
The characters or that 8-Player Smash is a thing...cause one does trigger me (and ruined All-Star in Smash 4 for me).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What triggers me is that Cloud isn’t player 6 cause that color is the closest to the FFVII logo’s color and it just fits ok?!

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Now that feels right. I wonder what variations we'll get, depending on whether or when more third parties will show up.

Either unique or echo is likely, but after Pittoo's demotion into Echo designation, I have a hunch Sakurai would make Medusa unique, given her seniority status.
While it would be absolutely wonderful to see her as unique, her being an echo is the absolute safest bet rn due to how well it works

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Who is the more popular choice, Tails as a unique fighter or Shadow as an echo? I know I’d rather Tails.
I like Shadow more than Tails. I grew up with the 3D games and didn't really play the 2D games much. Sonic Adventure 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Shadow stuck with me.

*insert edge joke here*

D

Deleted member

What triggers me is you didn't capitalize PAC-MAN like you should have.
You right. Now I'm remembering how in Brawl, every instance of "Sonic the Hedgehog" when referring to the series as a whole was capitalized. That's also the case with FINAL FANTASY VII and PAC-MAN but that's been consistent between 4 and Ultimate, where as SONIC THE HEDGEHOG became Sonic the Hedgehog in Smash 4.

Strange. Probably some weird licensing thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Implying that Cloud has recognizable color palette swaps.
What they mean is that Cloud should have been on the Green Coloured Player Slot because the FF7 logo is green, not that Cloud himself should have been in his Green Alt.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Smash 4 has the most questionable of hotboxes. What were the programmers even thinking on some of them?

In any case, I’m hoping that this game doesn’t have the many questionable hitboxes (or any) than Smash 4.
There's this:

And then there's this:

Smash 4 just has the weirdest problems.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Who is the more popular choice, Tails as a unique fighter or Shadow as an echo? I know I’d rather Tails.
I'd honestly prefer Tails. He's Sonic's Player 2, and would allow that Melee April Fool's joke finally come true.
Also seeing a match between Mario and Luigi against Sonic and Tails is so obvious, I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright, here's my timeline.

64: I didn't exist.

Melee: I was born just a month before Melee released, so obviously I didn't play it.

Brawl: 6 years old. I didn't play it, but I did recognize famous characters like :mario2: and :pikachu2:.

Wii U: Now this I played! Wii U was my first Smash game, I was 13 and I recognized everyone except :4shulk::4robinm::4marth::4lucina:.

Ultimate: Seeing as how i'm here right now, this is obviously when I actively started speculating (And had my first character deconfirmation, RIP Ashley). I began lurking when Ultimate was teased last March and I started posting after E3. I've recognized every one introduced except :ultrichter:.
I'm super excited to play characters I never got the chance to like :ultpichu::ulticeclimbers::ultyounglink::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultpokemontrainer:.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

KMDP

Smash Legend
Alright, here's my timeline.

64: I didn't exist.

Melee: I was born just a month before Melee released, so obviously I didn't play it.

Brawl: 6 years old. I didn't play it, but I did recognize famous characters like Mario and Pikachu.

Wii U: Now this I played! Wii U was my first Smash game, I was 13 and I recognized everyone except :4shulk::4robinm::4marth::4lucina:.

Ultimate: Seeing as how i'm here right now, this is obviously when I actively started speculating (And had my first character deconfirmation, RIP Ashley). I began lurking when Ultimate was teased last March and I started posting after E3. I've recognized every one introduced except :ultrichter:.
I'm super excited to play characters i never got the chance to like :ultpichu::ulticeclimbers::ultyounglink::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultpokemontrainer:.
When I was making my timeline it was interesting how much the "characters I didn't know" section shrank as time went on. By Sm4sh there was no character included who I didn't at least recognise, and I wasn't part of the speculation scene at the time.

The true power of Smash is taking a character or series you know little or nothing about and making you a fan.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I like Shadow more than Tails. I grew up with the 3D games and didn't really play the 2D games much. Sonic Adventure 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Shadow stuck with me.

*insert edge joke here*
Sonic Adventure 2 was my first Sonic game and it got me hooked on the series. Plus the Adventure games are probably my favorite in the series. (The classic games are too hard for me heh) Yet Tails still became my favorite character despite that heh. Maybe as a 9-10 year old at the time it was cool seeing a kid character using a badass mech to rescue his friend and also the rather fun (If a bit too easy since Tails' flight could cheese through them) levels in the first Sonic Adventure? (When I got Sonic Adventure DX later anyway)

Though I suppose also the Shadow video game kinda soured Shadow for me. Though I think before the Shadow video game I still liked Tails a little more anyway.

By all means based on how I was introduced into the series I probably SHOULD be backing Shadow more. Yet I found a way for Tails to be my favorite despite being more of an Adventure fan then a classic or more recent sonic game fan heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom