• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Probably just a fourth break wall gag to show the fans, but if this hints Elma in Smash, that would be really cool.
Bayonetta 2 had something similar, where Rodin mentions Bayonetta's appearance in Smash offhandedly, and also mentions that he wants to join her next time.

Of course, we all know how that turned out for him.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly Sonic was thrown into Brawl late into development and wasn't initially planned.
He was planned but apparently SEGA initially refused, then later on said yes. That delayed the game. So adding unique characters later would delay things. Even then Sonic had a lot of the same ball animations in Brawl.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Bayonetta 2 had something similar, where Rodin mentions Bayonetta's appearance in Smash offhandedly, and also mentions that he wants to join her next time.

Uh oh..........

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Even if it was Demi-Fiend? :p
Ok, your reaction if...an SMT character gets in?

:chuckle:

I get what you mean. We keep talking about the same group of 'most likely' characters, and none of them really do much for me. I'll just have to console myself with :ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultkrool:
Demifiend Smash.png

Listen, if either of you find any leaks like that within the next 3 years, wake me up.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Odds are, this won't help Lycanroc by any means. The Dusk form is already hindered by its pure quadrupedal status, and it doesn't have psychic powers to make up for it.
Items aren't a huge issue for Lycanroc. One handed items can be used/thrown via its mouth, while heavier items could be carried/thrown on its back. Super Scope is a tricky item to find a solution to, but that item has never played too close to reality before.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Items aren't a huge issue for Lycanroc. One handed items can be used/thrown via its mouth, while heavier items could be carried/thrown on its back. Super Scope is a tricky item to find a solution to, but that item has never played too close to reality before.
Why does it look like he's holding it to stab someone...with a gun?

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Wario, I think Wario is going to die in the next reveal trailer.

Let's make a funeral arrangement.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Anxiety in one jingle.
This is your 18,000th post!

Uh oh..........
Uh oh?
Elma would be pretty cool in Smash!
Oh man, maybe it's just because I haven't played in a while but I just can't beat Mewtwo with Sheik.
Take advantage of Mewtwo's low frame data. Sheik is still quite mobile and can kick him hard.
Sheik is considered to win the Mewtwo matchup, but her killing power is weak. Still, you can win against any character vs any character.

D

Deleted member

Wario is gonna get stabbed by a spear.
Stabbed by Bandana Dee!
Or sent into another dimension by Skull Kid.
Blasted away by Geno.
Punched away by Incineroar.
Shot with many arrows by Decidueye.
Or stabbed with a dagger by Elma.
Or whatever happens to Wario which gets him blasted away by Isabelle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Why does it look like he's holding it to stab someone...with a gun?
My guess is that he's shaking the gun so hard, there's enough force being put into the bullets to launch them out of the gun without pulling the trigger.

I am also aware that makes no sense what so ever, but I suppose even the laws of physics bend at the strength of the great Wario.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
You just gave me an idea. Dimentio would make a great Assist Trophy. A REALLY great one.
Yesssss this is what I've been saying all along with regards to Paper Mario representation. Dimentio would be an incredible, explosive assist trophy.

blackghost

Smash Champion

he made it. rodin is something that is too strong to show up. dont think people really want a raid boss from Bayonetta who is many times her strength in the game.

still hoping for baldr tho.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wario is gonna get stabbed by a spear.
Are the other Smashers going to get Lord of the Flies on Wario?
---
Also, the character deaths didn't just start in Ridley's trailer.

Shulk totally killed Bowser in his trailer.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
No one suggested Peach. If anyone has it coming after Mario and Dedede, it's her...

Luigi didn't deserve what happened to him, and Mega Man's a Robot, so I'm sure he can buy a new chest or whatever.

D

Deleted member

I feel attacked.

#SaveWario
Too late.

It's a fear that she may become an Assist Trophy similar to Rodin...
Wait. That is the main reason why you all think Elma is going to be an AT? It was just a funny fourth wall gag.
Also just because they were both the same and Rodin became an AT, does not mean that Elma will become an AT.
If she does, ah well. At least she is an AT.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Are the other Smashers going to get Lord of the Flies on Wario?
---
Also, the character deaths didn't just start in Ridley's trailer.

Shulk totally killed Bowser in his trailer.
This reinforces Samus being a bad ass even more. Everyone is dying yet she's still kickin.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I was always okay with those "samey" ball attacks because to me it harkened back to Genesis era Sonic. I feel like Samurai would have done that even if Sonic was there from day one.
I was never bothered by Sonic's ball attacks either.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Neither Gardevoir nor Gothitelle run normally, both float in a very similar fashion, albeit Gardevoir's being more energetic, but it could be tweaked for either or both in Smash, though it's not like Ganondorf ran like Capt. Falcon.
View attachment 159655

All that would really need to be done is altering the dress effects. For other movements, Dark Samus already shows us how different animations can be between the Original and the Echo.
You're also basing how they jump off of the anime, presumably, which Smash doesn't have to follow 1:1. Gothitelle's 'dress' is in sections, it could believably bend similarly to an accordion.

Now I don't believe the leak is true, regardless of how much I want Gardevoir in the game, but there are various ways to make Gothitelle work as an Echo Fighter of Gardevoir..Sakurai is a very creative guy to begin with and they do have similar animations in the games themselves.

Not to mention we're all saying Dixie could be an Echo for Diddy and you know a lot of animations will have to change there.
Dixie doesn't really require much of anything. That assumes she has to somehow have all these hair attacks. She doesn't. At all. She could have zero unique moves and it'd work fine. Her hair can be connected to a... gah, I forget how it was explained. Basically, the hair itself has no animations and just moves around as Dixie does. You need to change the dresses here. So it's not necessarily true.

Also, Gardevoir walks around in the Smash games and always uses its legs. It can run normally. Not saying it should be super hard to make them both run, but the character uses their legs already in Smash, so there's no point in removing the model when it works. We already know that different animations are fine. Gothitelle shouldn't use the same running animations if it's pointlessly harder to make work. It just has to be the same speed.

The issue is the dress Gothitelle uses does not match up with animations that Gardevoir will use when jumping. The dress moves about everywhere due to basically not being a key part of its animations. Gothitelle's is far more connected to the design(along with the hard fact that it has tiny legs compared to Gardevoir's huge ones), so they need different jumping animations to begin with. Echoes aren't supposed to take a lot of work. Not to any severe degree. They're supposed to have 1:1 proportions to begin with, which is already iffy alone due to Gothitelle having a different skeleton as is(also, Gardevoir has full legs in the games in the character model. Gothitelle's is tiny, just like the anime. Or you might as well say it has no legs).

Regardless, it is possible, but the leg thing is the biggest hindrance(the dress is heavily too, since Gardevoir's, again, does not work like Peach's, which is more like what Gothitelle's is, where Gardevoir's doesn't even have a hitbox or is a key part of the animations. It simply can mostly fly all around without it affecting the moves. Gothitelle's is way different and already part of its natural body shape and hitbox. Another way to put it is Gardevoir could simply put on a pair of shorts instead of the dress and it wouldn't affect its moveset at all due to the way it's designed. Gothitelle's is a full part of its main model to the point that you can't remove it). Basically, it feels like way too much work for an Echo and falls best under a clone to begin with. Which is not a bad thing at all. With vastly different character models and skeletons, as well as different abilities and designs, Gothitelle just doesn't make good Echo material. She makes way more sense as a clone.

Dixie doesn't have this issue because her hair, while something that should be there, can be ignored and basically just "fly in the wind" without affecting the moveset at all. It isn't required to use in any way in order for the Echo to work. Mind you, whether or not they could reuse DK to recreate the Spinning Hair is another story(it's possible, but considering our only example is Chrom, who used two very similar body shapes to copy moves from, I wouldn't heavily expect it). It's not impossible, obviously, but it might require too much work to change the skeleton(DK's upper torso) to fit an unrelated model(the hair). Dixie might just have all of Diddy's moves with new aesthetics. And it'd work fine.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
Since the cinematics can take a considerable amount of time, do you guys think the remaining (2? 4? 6? 8?) unique newcomers will have cinematics like Simon/Ridley/K.Rool?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Since the cinematics can take a considerable amount of time, do you guys think the remaining (2? 4? 6? 8?) unique newcomers will have cinematics like Simon/Ridley/K.Rool?
Duh.
You'd think they'd just be like "Poof, bam, here's your new character."

These cinematics probably take more time and money than most indie games.

D

Deleted member

Duh.
You'd think they'd just be like "Poof, bam, here's your new character."

These cinematics probably take more time and money than most indie games.
I mean, that's what they did with Brawl. But it would just be super inconsistent to have all these cinematic trailers and then suddenly "oh yeah btw, Geno is in the game"

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Ive heard some ppl say medusa wouldnt work due to palus fair being a kick but its not like we havent seen the goddess's legs before lol

https://youtu.be/m9eLGRCoFJI

Also Dixie would be so easy. Just change her jab so she lacks the rapid jab and make her up b DKs, bam done.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Newcomers will have cinematics, some might even share trailers. These trailers must have been in development for quite a while. I doubt people are working on them one at a time. There's probably multiple teams working on several different trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom