• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, since Diablo 3 is now on the Switch, I wouldn't mind seeing any Blizzard content later as DLC in terms of a new character, stage, ATs, even music. Granted its impractical for a Blizzard character to be in Smash because the roster as we see it are fan-favorite picks from the ballot, but its not entirely impossible. Doesn't mean it'll happen in any regard, but there are plenty of iconic franchises left to represent imo. I'm not entirely a die-hard Blizzard fan, so I may have trouble with some of the choices I'd see work.

I'm only doing characters & assist trophies for now :

Fighters: Tracer- granted I chose her as an assist trophy a long pages back (those who've seen it would know), but I thought, you know what, why not bump her up to a playable status.

Overwatch is one of Blizzard's most iconic franchises, right up there with War/StarCraft series. Its aesthetic vibe perfectly fits Smash Bros for its wide spread of color that brings characters to life and the community is still going strong as of late.

In other words, I'd say her design & personality really fits Smash in my book. I won't cover up all of her movesets, but her's could be her dual pulse pistols, her "Blink" teleportation, Recall and her Pulse Bomb as her Final Smash. If I were to push myself for more (though one would be enough) would be Widowmaker. She's sort of the big arch enemy of Tracer, hence the few shorts that featured both of them.

(Fun Fact: did you know in Overwatch, that special ability meter when it is all charged up, and that character unleashes their abilities, yeah, kinda like what Smash Bros does when the character gets the Final Smash, they perform a special ability, its spelled with a U.)

Assist Trophies: I only have two (technically 4) in mind:
Winston from Overwatch
Eric, Baelog, & Olaf from the Lost Vikings.

What I can see Winston as an assist is that he can roam around the stage attacking the opponents, utilizing his powers such as his jump pack & the Barrier Projector, but when he gets attacked, he unleashes his "Primal Rage" ability and becomes much stronger with his attacks doing massive damage towards the opponent or more (Upwards to possibly 60% damage).

For the Lost Vikings, I believe are a lot more complicated to implement, but I'll make it short & sweet. Each viking has a different ability, Olaf is the defense, Baelog is the brute strength that gets in anyone's way, and Eric is more ranged thanks to his slingshot. One that gets knocked out means all of them are out as well (because balance is key).

Anyone like to share? or just keep talking about these arbitrary leaks all day...
Give me Zeratul and i'll die happy. Not before i play him of course... on second thought i'll probably die happy without Zeratul in smash anyway :)

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I think people wanted to hold onto it because it had what would presumably be Paper Mario in it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sorry did I miss something? The Gardevior/Gothitelle leak has been disproven?
Well a data miner said that the names used or Dark Samus and K.Rool don't match their Smash 4 and Brawl equivelents.

I don't see that as a solid decimalisation that everyone else seems to see it as but it does make a good case.

Edit: I meant to say disconfirmation but I'll leave that auto-correct for posterity.

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
fake and all, I really loved the idea of Gardevoir being playable. Just one of my favorite pokémon ever, love to use her in Pokken. Besides, I believe that a gen 7 pokémon as DLC is a good choice to start DLC, just like Mewtwo

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Okay it was incredibly obvious from the beginning that the Gardevoir leak was fake, but why are we declaring it now?
Is there proof?
Not definite proof, but a guy who's saavy at datamining Brawl and Smash 4 basically called out how the names for Dark Samus and Krool were bull****, since they don't match up with how either character has been called in prior games files.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Small trend if people are thinking both Gardevoir and Decidueye are not in smash but are both in pokken.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So there was a discussion of Black Shadow? I'd think he'd be a great addition for those who want to play as Melee's version of Ganondorf. Ganondorf is very different now from Falcon. Especially with sword Smash attacks. So Black Shadow being a stronger heavier Falcon would be fine.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
okay but you literally called it fake yourself like you know it's not legit
these are a lot of loopholes man :drflip:
What's not to get? I want it to be real and I like the idea of it so I'm discussing it :dr^_^: I'm just entertaining the thought of it being real, no harm done~
That's not a quick animation. Those are completely different movement patterns. You're forgetting how they jump. Gardevoir dances around and skips when running alone. There's little reason to make it waddle like a penguin(which Gothitelle can't even move at the same speed with tiny legs) just for the sake of it. They can't move the same speed, have vastly different animations, their skeletons are outright different to begin with(there's slight similarities in their models, but again, 100% different dress animations). It's not the kicks alone. It's how they jump. Gothitelle's entire dress barely changes. It can't just flow upwards at all during a jump. It barely bends. Gardevoir's dress is more like a bunch of ribbons.
Actually, do we know how complicated the dress physics are to implement? I've been assuming changing the physics for Gothi's different dress wouldn't be too much hassle. If it takes more effort than simply rigging them to the dresses I can see that as more of a problem.
Also, does Garde skip around? The run animations from Sun and Moon have both of them hovering forwards with their arms slightly outstretched. I've been imagining Gardevoir and Gothitelle as a Rosalina-esque characters myself; floating around everywhere and using ethereal effects as attacks. Take Pokken for example, Garde rarely touches the ground and most leg movements are simply raising one knee slightly for a more elegant pose. Ignoring canon movepools, Gothi would work well with Garde's Pokken moveset.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not definite proof, but a guy who's saavy at datamining Brawl and Smash 4 basically called out how the names for Dark Samus and Krool were bull****, since they don't match up with how either character has been called in prior games files.
One thing to note is that we can't say for sure data files never change between games.

It's a good reason to believe it's bull****, it's just not as ironclad as it could be.

His bull**** story of he got the data and showed no proof beyond his story is what killed it for me alone. It's not believable in the slightest. The character list is not even an issue alone(bar the echo part which the characters are still too differently designed for that to remotely work), but the possible reasons behind an Echo aren't unreasonable.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
fake and all, I really loved the idea of Gardevoir being playable. Just one of my favorite pokémon ever, love to use her in Pokken. Besides, I believe that a gen 7 pokémon as DLC is a good choice to start DLC, just like Mewtwo
Unpopular opinion!!!! We don't need anymore Pokemon character's (OR anymore Mario character's or Fire Emblem swordsmen)!

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Unpopular opinion!!!! We don't need anymore Pokemon character's (OR anymore Mario character's or Fire Emblem swordsmen)!
We always need more Mario characters, and what you think doesn't matter right now since we basically know we're getting a new Pokemon and Mario character

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
boy do i hope everyone is wrong about only ten more characters including echoes being in the game
ONLY TEN? This game has so, so much content as it is from across the series, bringing back literally every cut fighter and finally going with the fan favorite requests. With such a MASSIVE amount of past content all in one Ultimate Smash game, I'd say you'd have to be unpleasable to find it underwhelming.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
ONLY TEN? This game has so, so much content as it is from across the series, bringing back literally every cut fighter and finally going with the fan favorite requests. With such a MASSIVE amount of past content all in one Ultimate Smash game, I'd say you'd have to be unpleasable to find it underwhelming.
I'd recommend not getting him started.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Listen, I got unreasonably excited for Smash 4. Like, annoyingly type of excited. Now its my least favorite Smash game because I excited myself too much and the game didn't have anything I actually wanted in it. I'm not getting burned by Smash Bros. again.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As long as it's not a blue haired swordsmen whose moveset was copied and pasted from someone else! Were good on those two!
Come on man why the blue hair? That's essentially the black hair equivalent of natural hair colors in our world.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Listen, I got unreasonably excited for Smash 4. Like, annoyingly type of excited. Now its my least favorite Smash game because I excited myself too much and the game didn't have anything I actually wanted in it. I'm not getting burned by Smash Bros. again.
Smash 4 wasn't NEARLY as promising pre-launch as Ultimate is right now.

Untouch

Smash Master
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
The demo kiosks in stores got their files through nintendo updates, there's a very solid chance that you cannot reliably get the files off of the demo kiosk and there's a very solid chance that all demo kiosks work this way for reasons like this.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
If there are more Echoes than actual new fighters, I'm not gonna get the game. I'll just watch Ridley and K. Rool footage online since that'd be the most I'd get from that potential version of the game, it'll be everywhere once the game is out.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's my prediction, along with 4 more echoes.
8 Newcomers, 8 echoes, 16 new characters.
"I hope you're not expecting too many newcomers"

If there are more Echoes than actual new fighters, I'm not gonna get the game. I'll just watch Ridley and K. Rool footage online since that'd be the most I'd get from that potential version of the game, it'll be everywhere once the game is out.
give me the 60 bucks you were gonna use, then

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
That's... wow. I thought we were past the clone hate.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Echo Fighters are newcomers by the proper textbook use of the term. They're here. They weren't there before. They newly came. They are newcomers.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
WActually, do we know how complicated the dress physics are to implement? I've been assuming changing the physics for Gothi's different dress wouldn't be too much hassle. If it takes more effort than simply rigging them to the dresses I can see that as more of a problem.
Also, does Garde skip around? The run animations from Sun and Moon have both of them hovering forwards with their arms slightly outstretched. I've been imagining Gardevoir and Gothitelle as a Rosalina-esque characters myself; floating around everywhere and using ethereal effects as attacks. Take Pokken for example, Garde rarely touches the ground and most leg movements are simply raising one knee slightly for a more elegant pose. Ignoring canon movepools, Gothi would work well with Garde's Pokken moveset.
I'm honestly looking, but I remember it doing more than floating around. I might've misremembered. Though it is still notable they vastly behavior differently in battle as is. Gothitelle has stiff movement for its legs, while Gardevoir isn't restricted at all. But they are both designed differently, so eh.

Gardevoir walks around in Brawl slowly. Not float.
Walks around in 4, but a bit faster.

Yeah, remembered wrong. But the legs are blatantly shown and the animation is definitely different. Regardless, the dresses are still very very different and will take extra work as an Echo regardless. But I can't think of a good argument for Gothitelle to be impossible to be an Echo. Just unlikely.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Were they in a previous game as playable? No? They're newcomers.

Being a newcomer that doesn't feel as unique just means they're a different kind of newcomer.

Of course, you're free to not be a fan of clones/echoes/certain newcomers. Everybody has that right. But to pretend they aren't a new playable character is just being ridiculous for the sake of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom