• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I personally don't mind the presence of Echoes. The more, the merrier.

But I do hope we have at least 70 unique characters in this installment. As soon as that number gets reached, I'm completely 100% satisfied.

We're currently at 67, so we're almost there! Do you all think we'll make it to 70?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Come on man why the blue hair? That's essentially the black hair equivalent of natural hair colors in our world.
Nah, it's blue in Fire Emblem, at least. Navarre shows that blue isn't a stand-in for black.

The blue hair is likely just for gameplay integration, since your characters are classically noted as blue and the enemy units as red.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, two days left of Gamescom, then Monday off and then Nindies Direct 2.

Lot going on in the gaming world this week.

Will we get more than the two matches Nintendo posted is the question now.

D

Deleted member

I am American and I could not resist the avatar.
Sees Grape Boy fall several spots...

Good, I am glad that annoying kid fell down a lot.
what if we dont get a new pokemon this time?
Sounds very unlikely.
It is like almost guaranteed at this point. Greninja brought up a lot of hype and Greninja is very popular, so of course they would do a Gen 7 Pokemon.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
My favorite thing is that people on here don't get happy for other people. For example, I HATED the characters we got in Smash 4. Totally not characters I wanted. But I was happy for the people who got what they wanted. Finally, I get what I wanted and all I see is "B-but....w-where is toad? King K TRASH IS A W-WASTE"

Grow up guys lol.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I didn't care for most of the newcomers in the base game of Smash 4. I still bought it and had fun with it. I stopped playing a long time ago because I had the 3DS version and Smash on the 3DS is difficult on the hands.

D

Deleted member

I didn't care for most of the newcomers in the base game of Smash 4. I still bought it and had fun with it. I stopped playing a long time ago because I had the 3DS version and Smash on the 3DS is difficult on the hands.
I still play Smash 4 to this day. :p
I have it on the Wii U, but I never played it on the 3DS.
It feels very smooth, and Ultimate looks smoother, so I can not imagine how amazing it will be playing Ultimate.
The character models look better in Ultimate, so excited!

Last edited by a moderator:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Wouldn't Decidueye also have problems standing out since we already have a winged archer?
6E8D8E3B-860E-446F-93A2-F3E2B1928794.jpeg

I’m not even a Decidueye supporter, Pit only uses his bow for one damn move, and even then he used dual blades. Decidueye concept alone is enough to make him drastically different than Pit.

I don’t even want to discuss Pokémon anymore... but people have been treating Incineroar as the holy grail recently. I guess Vergeben ha something to do with it, but I wouldn’t count others out yet.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The conversation is going to be dropped now. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. And by that, I mean the "lol, they're not newcomers" stuff. There is no differing opinions and clearly people are just yelling at each other now.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Obviously value is subjective but I personally can't imagine not wanting Ultimate due to only caring about two newcomers. For Smash 4 base I only cared about Shulk and I still got it. Smash is Smash - I know I am getting my money's worth even if I disagree with a few decisions. So far for Ultimate I can't say I disagree with anything thus far but we haven't seen single player modes or how the online will be handled this time around yet either.

Maybe the lack of new stages? But eh, I am content with seeing stages not seen for two decades making a grandiose return. It might as well be new again.

Smash is a character game and Ultimate is 100% delivering on that. Every veteran, Ridley, K. Rool, Inkling, Chrom, Dark Samus, Daisy, the Belmonts...the roster is approaching to the point of being those 100+ dream rosters for Brawl.

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
Just posted something i posted on GameFAQs and i'm gonna post it here too.
Basically The big series, Mario, Doneky Kong, TLoZ, Pokemon, FE, Kirby, and Metroid had never gone two games in a row without receiving a rep since their debut in Smash.

Currently TLoZ, Kirby and Pokemon don't have a character... the former two didn't get a character last game. (let's be real... Kirby got hardly anything at all last game.)

Of course only four/five games exist yet so this isn't the most solid theory but don't be surprised if TLoZ, and Kirby get a rep in Ultimate. (of course Pokemon will.)

What is your opinion on this, do you think any of these series don't count as big ones? or that the idea is baseless? or do you agree that this is suspicious... please do tell me what you think!

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sakurai: Boy, gee would you look at that?! Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus sure did well in the ballot. We've got a ton of fan requests for them. Let's try to put them in the game in the quickest but most accurate way possible to them!

Some people: NOT REAL NEWCOMERS! UNIMPORTANT!

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
People discussion Gardevoir/Gothitelle because it's interesting/fun to argue if it works, unrelated to if the "leak" being real or fake. Please don't complain about people discussing stuff.
Out of curiosity, since Diablo 3 is now on the Switch, I wouldn't mind seeing any Blizzard content later as DLC in terms of a new character, stage, ATs, even music. Granted its impractical for a Blizzard character to be in Smash because the roster as we see it are fan-favorite picks from the ballot, but its not entirely impossible. Doesn't mean it'll happen in any regard, but there are plenty of iconic franchises left to represent imo. I'm not entirely a die-hard Blizzard fan, so I may have trouble with some of the choices I'd see work.

I'm only doing characters & assist trophies for now :

Fighters: Tracer- granted I chose her as an assist trophy a long pages back (those who've seen it would know), but I thought, you know what, why not bump her up to a playable status.

Overwatch is one of Blizzard's most iconic franchises, right up there with War/StarCraft series. Its aesthetic vibe perfectly fits Smash Bros for its wide spread of color that brings characters to life and the community is still going strong as of late.

In other words, I'd say her design & personality really fits Smash in my book. I won't cover up all of her movesets, but her's could be her dual pulse pistols, her "Blink" teleportation, Recall and her Pulse Bomb as her Final Smash. If I were to push myself for more (though one would be enough) would be Widowmaker. She's sort of the big arch enemy of Tracer, hence the few shorts that featured both of them.

(Fun Fact: did you know in Overwatch, that special ability meter when it is all charged up, and that character unleashes their abilities, yeah, kinda like what Smash Bros does when the character gets the Final Smash, they perform a special ability, its spelled with a U.)

Assist Trophies: I only have two (technically 4) in mind:
Winston from Overwatch
Eric, Baelog, & Olaf from the Lost Vikings.

What I can see Winston as an assist is that he can roam around the stage attacking the opponents, utilizing his powers such as his jump pack & the Barrier Projector, but when he gets attacked, he unleashes his "Primal Rage" ability and becomes much stronger with his attacks doing massive damage towards the opponent or more (Upwards to possibly 60% damage).

For the Lost Vikings, I believe are a lot more complicated to implement, but I'll make it short & sweet. Each viking has a different ability, Olaf is the defense, Baelog is the brute strength that gets in anyone's way, and Eric is more ranged thanks to his slingshot. One that gets knocked out means all of them are out as well (because balance is key).

Anyone like to share? or just keep talking about these arbitrary leaks all day...
While Tracer is the logical first pick for Overwatch, but I would much rather have Reaper as the second character.
Shotgun, Grenade Launcher (from cinematic trailer), some Wraithform, Shadowstep Recovery and Death Blossom as Final Smash.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I want to sleep until smash comes out so i can figure out if the game is worth buying or not, the wait is unbearable

And no I literally have nothing else to do in my life at the moment

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just posted something i posted on GameFAQs and i'm gonna post it here too.
Basically The big series, Mario, Doneky Kong, TLoZ, Pokemon, FE, Kirby, and Metroid had never gone two games in a row without receiving a rep since their debut in Smash.

Currently TLoZ, Kirby and Pokemon don't have a character... the former two didn't get a character last game. (let's be real... Kirby got hardly anything at all last game.)

Of course only four/five games exist yet so this isn't the most solid theory but don't be surprised if TLoZ, and Kirby get a rep in Ultimate. (of course Pokemon will.)

What is your opinion on this, do you think any of these series don't count as big ones? or that the idea is baseless? or do you agree that this is suspicious... please do tell me what you think!
>Fire Emblem
nani you what
Isn't Metroid and DK like, not very popular in Japan?

Onua

Smash Journeyman
My biggest hope rn is for medusa to make it in as a palutena echo
she would be absolutely perfect for smash so Im REALLY hoping she makes it this time

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I hope we get Black Knight as an Ike echo so I can laugh at people that get angry at Fire Emblem reps.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm honestly all for uniqueness over clones, but I'm assuming that these characters like :ultsimon::ultridley::ultkrool: are done before the Echoes are even considered. If it's like that, then I honestly have no preference for them.

Well Fire Emblem is growing as a series rapidly and it fits the quota so in it went.
DK is popular in Japan and even Metroid is relatively well known for a Nintendo series over there.
I know that, I'm just bamboozled that if it's scaled on popularity and sales recognition that Metroid is there.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Well Fire Emblem is growing as a series rapidly and it fits the quota so in it went.
DK is popular in Japan and even Metroid is relatively well known for a Nintendo series over there.
Fire Emblem is growing but it's not in the same category as Mario and the like. Even Metroid despite being a major Nintendo franchise sells like poop in comparison to other main franchises.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think when it comes to the original 8 series in Smash, it goes something like:

Mario > Pokemon > The Legend of Zelda > Donkey Kong > Kirby > Yoshi > Metroid > Star Fox
Is this an opinion?
Sales comparisons?
I'm confused please clarify

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
Fire Emblem is growing but it's not in the same category as Mario and the like. Even Metroid despite being a major Nintendo franchise sells like poop in comparison to other main franchises.
TBH if anything what I called 'big' would be more accurate to 'would sell at least a million on a recent console' (Xenoblade's too recent as a series and too recent in Smash for me to accurately count it yet.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm honestly all for uniqueness over clones, but I'm assuming that these characters like :ultsimon::ultridley::ultkrool: are done before the Echoes are even considered. If it's like that, then I honestly have no preference for them.
The thing with Richter is that making him an Echo could easily have been early on, due to Simon and Richter having moves used from each other.

The rest are way harder to say. Though Chrom have more altered animations than usual implies he was chosen a bit earlier. I think they might've been done earlier than in Smash 4, so not entirely last minute.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
It really is a shame the Metroid style of gameplay is really niche. I think the first Metroid Prime has the most profit of all the games and that didn't even hit 3 million.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The reason why they count echoes separately is so that it wouldn’t get people riled about getting a lot more, and getting angry with the fact that a lot of the newcomers are clones.

After what happened with Smash 4 and with the 3 clones, they definitely don’t want to repeat the same situation and all that negative reaction. And with 8 “newcomers” they essentially broken Sakurai’s statement of expecting too many newcomers since there’s most likely more.

For all intended purposes, the numbered list has there being only 4 brand new characters (:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool:) and that probably should be the number we should be looking at.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
didn't symphony of the night do incredibly well
Metroid Prime is a first-persion shooter exploration.
Symphony of the Night is a third-person dungeon-dwelling kinda RPG game.

not the same thing

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
didn't symphony of the night do incredibly well
I don't know. I'm talking about Metroid specifically (I did say Metroid style but I wasn't referring to Metroidvania's). For a major franchise of Nintendo it doesn't sell well like the rest.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Dude I've never heard BWD have a voice of any kind in the games

EDIT: I can't read, but cryptic text is cryptic text, throw it in the recycling bin instead of the trash.
Jigglypuff wasn't revealed when David Hayter was asked "What character would you like Snake see to fight in Smash", so people took that as a "leak"...

It could mean something... but I just think she's a fan of the character...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom