• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Personally I do think Skull Kid is getting in though. There is just too much stuff related to him appearing around Nintendo lately.

The only other option is Nintendo is actually teasing something else related to Skull Kid

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I haven't found any real source about it. It seems to be a SourceGaming error, because Sakurai stated that Sukapon was cut from Melee due to "adult reasons", and since Sakurai also blamed "adult reasons" for James Bond and Banjo, they just assumed that he meant copyright issues also for Sukapon, when that statement is so vague that it could also mean bugs, glitchs or even low priority.

I mean, Sukapon was a sticker in Brawl, and I really doubt they went out of their way to get its rights in the few years between Melee and Brawl, if they didn't had them already.
Actually, there's no error. They didn't have the rights to Sukapon during Melee, but Nintendo got the rights to Joy Mecha Fight in 2007. As it turns out, no one knew where the rights where until then. It's a strange story...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Actually, there's no error. They didn't have the rights to Sukapon during Melee, but Nintendo got the rights to Joy Mecha Fight in 2007. As it turns out, no one knew where the rights where until then. It's a strange story...
Do you have any source? Any article or editorial? I'm very interested in this story actually.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm fairly confident that the next time we get a 'newcomer dump' will be the last.

If the roster I made before actually becomes true, that'll put us at 12 newcomers, 6 echoes, 6 originals.

This would tie us for Smash Original in terms of quantity while also just being a nice even split between the echoes and newcomers.

That and, unless we're getting two Smash directs before launch, I feel like the next Smash Direct will be the one that finishes the roster "Before Launch".

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Real talk, as unlikely as it would be, I'd love to see Dragon Quest V's hero (sometimes referred as Abel) as a character.

In addition to the usual swords and spells, DQV's main innovation to the battle system was allowing the player to recruit defeated monsters as party members.

I honestly think that there's potential there.
DQV is the best game in the series so this would be perfect

His Final smash will have one of the three wives he can marry in the game pop up and do there finishing move
Which wife is chosen is random

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Do you have any source? Any article or editorial? I'm very interested in this story actually.
I can't find an news site article, but the Japanese Wikipedia article cites one of the programmer's blog back in the day.
https://web.archive.org/web/20070309180953/http://d.hatena.ne.jp/eto/20070129/p1

They also source a Nintendo seminar.

Basically: the programmer believed he had transferred the rights to as Battle Battle League, but that never actually happened. They had the mystery of 'where' the rights were. Then they found a thing they thought was the written contract in his house, but it turns out it was an official-looking memo with no signature.

That's what I mean when no one knew where the rights where. It was in his house... and I guess no one had the legal rights?

edit: Joy Mecha Fight showed up on Virtual Console a year later, and Sukapon's sticker appeared in Brawl slightly before that.

edit2: they didn't try to transfer the rights TO Battle Battle League, but AS Battle Battle League. whoops.

Last edited:

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Personally I do think Skull Kid is getting in though. There is just too much stuff related to him appearing around Nintendo lately.

The only other option is Nintendo is actually teasing something else related to Skull Kid
Is Sakurai one to lead on false hope? I mean, there are a couple of legit reasons why people think Skull Kid is getting in now. I know with Nintendo the twitter account, etc. What else has Nintendo teased related to Skull Kid?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Is Sakurai one to lead on false hope? I mean, there are a couple of legit reasons why people think Skull Kid is getting in now. I know with Nintendo the twitter account, etc. What else has Nintendo teased related to Skull Kid?
Sakurai doesn't lead to false hope, but many times fans took things that meant nothing for teases and were let down by that. The Clouds in Subspace, the Shadow on Pyrosphere and so on. Things like the fourniture is probably on those lines.

So far as I know in in a recent video Reggie had a Skull Kid figure fro the Majora Mask limited edition on his desk, alongside a whole lot of other Nintendo merchandise and figures, and the Nintendo UK Instagram reposted a fan picture of that same figure (altough it looks awesome by itself).

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Unless you subscribe to the chair belief, Sakurai hasn't 'teased' Skull Kid at all.

The most he has going for him is that his AT is missing, which, I mean it could have just been replaced.

Hell, the only reason soo many people jumped on the Skull Kid bandwagon before the Moon got shown off was due to Loz18 and, he kinda went off the deep end.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
If Geno gets in, i assume he would be a zoning charcter like Duck Hunt but he better at close range then Duck Hunt

I'm fairly confident that the next time we get a 'newcomer dump' will be the last.

If the roster I made before actually becomes true, that'll put us at 12 newcomers, 6 echoes, 6 originals.

This would tie us for Smash Original in terms of quantity while also just being a nice even split between the echoes and newcomers.

That and, unless we're getting two Smash directs before launch, I feel like the next Smash Direct will be the one that finishes the roster "Before Launch".
We could get Normal Nintendo Directs in September/October that reveal a new charcter and echo fighter. Honestly with all the rumors i am expecting 8 Newcomers and 8 Echoes overall

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So it seems that Vergeben hinted a new Square-Enix rep, here are my potential candidates:

• Dragon Quest rep
  • Neku from The World Ends With You
  • Another Final Fantasy character?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't feel like Sakurai has hinted Skull Kid in the slightest, at least not in a direct manner, a lot of it is assumptions made by fans. I think the one solid thing he has in his favor is that his AT looks to have been replaced by The Moon, but all of the other stuff with Skull Kid figurines and colored chairs are just theories, you can't blame Sakurai if those don't pan out. Also, take it from a Ridley fan, don't ever ever ever assume a character is in just because "Nintendo wouldn't do that", we went with that slogan for over a year and were burned at the end of it.

I of course hope for Skull Kid myself, but I'm taking all of these so-called hints with a grain of salt. I personally think The Moon AT is encouraging for him, just like I think the Knuckles AT is encouraging for Shadow's chances, but I'm not at that stage yet where I feel like he's a lock, just that he's got a good chance. It's best to be cautious in these situations.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
So it seems that Vergeben hinted a new Square-Enix rep, here are my potential candidates:

• Dragon Quest rep
Hmm maybe someone else from FFVII like Zack Fair or Sephiroth, but Seph without One Winged Angel as a song is just eww.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

• Dragon Quest rep
Lara Croft would be dope too

Though if there were to be a new square rep that's not from FF i'd expect a dragon quest character.

Shroob

Sup?
As much as I want Dragon Quest in the game since it's one of the 'big 2' NES RPGs, my conflict is it's going up against Geno if it's 1 more SE rep.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't feel like Sakurai has hinted Skull Kid in the slightest, at least not in a direct manner, a lot of it is assumptions made by fans. I think the one solid thing he has in his favor is that his AT looks to have been replaced by The Moon, but all of the other stuff with Skull Kid figurines and colored chairs are just theories, you can't blame Sakurai if those don't pan out. Also, take it from a Ridley fan, don't ever ever ever assume a character is in just because "Nintendo wouldn't do that", we went with that slogan for over a year and were burned at the end of it.

I of course hope for Skull Kid myself, but I'm taking all of these so-called hints with a grain of salt. I personally think The Moon AT is encouraging for him, just like I think the Knuckles AT is encouraging for Shadow's chances, but I'm not at that stage yet where I feel like he's a lock, just that he's got a good chance. It's best to be cautious in these situations.
Ahhhh yes, all the Ridley hints.

Everytime Sakurai mentioned sizes and lack of scaling on Miiverse, it was obviously a hint to Ridley.

Humorously, he mentioned Smash not being to scale again when talking about K. Rool.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Dragon Quest character makes a lot of sense. But I doubt we're getting anymore third party characters (echoes aside)

I'm a believer we've seen every stage

D

Deleted member

If we are getting a new Square character it's almost certainly Geno. I just hope an Octopath character like H'aanit or Primrose can make their way in as DLC.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I won't deny that Verge has made some accurate statements. However, I'm not gonna take anything he says as gospel for what characters have a shot.

And it's not his bad attitude towards the Smash fans that make me feel this way (though that does have part in it), it's just his behavior towards 'leaking' info is obtuse and ill defined. This extends to loz as well.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah, I kinda doubt Verg now beyond Ridley and Simon.

One of his early predictions was Minecraft content, and so far we have nothing, and I believe we've seen every stage so I highly doubt we're getting a character. Maybe something along the lines of Rathalos, but that would honestly feel like a waste in way.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, I kinda doubt Verg now beyond Ridley and Simon.

One of his early predictions was Minecraft content, and so far we have nothing, and I believe we've seen every stage so I highly doubt we're getting a character. Maybe something along the lines of Rathalos, but that would honestly feel like a waste in way.
Could just be a Creeper AT akin to the Shovel Knight one.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We are getting that Creeper themed 3DS so Minecraft content in Smash doesn't seem absurd

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
We are getting that Creeper themed 3DS so Minecraft content in Smash doesn't seem absurd
I agree it doesn't sound absurd, I just think it would be odd to get Minecraft content and NOT get a stage. Minecraft is probably best known for its gorgeous and completely intractable and alive world. So a stage just made sense to me.

Similar to how Monster Hunter is I think best known for fighting these wild beasts and monsters (aka, hunting monsters correct me if I'm wrong ) so for that we got a boss.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
There's so much gaming icon stuff in Ultimate already, so I'm fairly sure Minecraft will find it's way there in some form.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was thinking that ig Skull Kid somehow was included; what if he ends up as an Echo of Ness? Probably won’t be received well but I guess it could work. Replace some of his attacks like the the Yo Yo with his fairies. PK Flash could have a more sinister Nosferatu-effect vibe. PK Fire could be a cloud of magic that deals continuous damage. PSI Magnent would just be like his magical attacks which draws in attacks. And PK Thunder could be the Fairy which launches Skull Kid when the two connect.

Personally, I would prefer an original Skull Kid but I suppose it could happen.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Echoes are paired with their counterpart and can even share the same icon with them. Because of that, highly doubt we'll get echoes of characters from different series.

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I was thinking that ig Skull Kid somehow was included; what if he ends up as an Echo of Ness? Probably won’t be received well but I guess it could work. Replace some of his attacks like the the Yo Yo with his fairies. PK Flash could have a more sinister Nosferatu-effect vibe. PK Fire could be a cloud of magic that deals continuous damage. PSI Magnent would just be like his magical attacks which draws in attacks. And PK Thunder could be the Fairy which launches Skull Kid when the two connect.

Wouldn’t having ness and Skull Kid sitting in the
same spot be a bit off?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Lucas would work better. No Yo-yo, stick could be a Deku stick and rope snake a tendril. A bit more use of magic

But I highly doubt that we're getting any cross franchise echoes. A Zelda character and an Earthbound character I'm the same spot would just be weird.

If be a cruel twist of fate Skull Kid was an echo, I'd probably accept it. At least he'd be in the game and playable. But it wouldn't really make much sense and the Zelda series deserves better

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Would it really be worth going out of their way to get the rights from microsoft of all people though? and just for an at?
Nintendo and Microsoft have become pretty good buddies recently, so I could see it happen as a sort of late addition. I mean, they contacted Ubisoft about Rayman just for a trophy, so I don't think it's too outlandish.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman

• Dragon Quest rep
A dragon quest rep would be the most hype-inducing in Japan I guess, so if we get another one, I bet it would be from that series . (a playable slime would be fantastic :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom