• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
Here's a character everyone is sleeping on when it comes to Square Enix reps.
Crono[1].jpg
Hey with him you're also getting Goku so two birds with one stone.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
The problem with a DQ rep is that, outside of characters like slime (which would be funny but I don't see how it'd work), there really isn't an equivalent to Cloud in popularity within the series. The DQ8 is the only one who I think comes close, maybe except Erdrick.
Yeah I saw an idea to make Erdrick playable and have Eight as an echo fighter for western recognition. I still hope for Geno, but I don't mind if we get a DQ character.

Staarih

Smash Master
It's not very likely, but it's interesting to see them do two separate showcases. I need to keep tabs on this and see who retweets it and the like.
It'll probably have the same stuff as the UK/European one this week...
...but hopefully Shovel Knight: King of Cards and Travis Strikes Back as well. Please.

Most likely no Smash stuff, unless Japan suddenly gets their own showcase and/or Sakurai retweets it lol.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid there's only one pairing who would work as a Rosalina and Luma Echo.

It's even someone from Gen 7! Kill two birds with one stone!
You know what? You're right. Where can I sign up for this?
Fortnite character as Snake Echo (This one works suprisingly well)
I, uhm, that's... that can... actually work now that you mention it and I think it would be hilarious
View attachment 159319
I consider Crono less likely than Protector and that's saying something.
Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time and if Smash had just even one bit of content from it I don't think I would survive his announcement.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo got so many indie games on their ass we just gonna get them every 5 seconds huh. Not complaining, but it's interesting that the "indie console" that many tried and failed to make has kinda become a real thing with the switch.

Regarding square enix rep, I'm assuming Sora is Disney and not Square and no FF characters outside of 7 will ever be in (possibly even just FF in general) due to sound test (And by extension, anything Nobuo worked on).

All I can guess is:

-Geno
-DQ Protag
-Tifa/Barret/Zack etc

I mean you know who I myself am hoping for, and he does seem the most likely judging by the recent ballot statements until we consider that Gex is also Square Enix owned it's tail time baby

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I really hope Fate/Serious from MOTHER3 is remixed for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I like Serious more but Fate would also be very good to hear remade.​

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
View attachment 159319
Yeah I saw an idea to make Erdrick playable and have Eight as an echo fighter for western recognition. I still hope for Geno, but I don't mind if we get a DQ character.
Toriyama sure knows how to draw Goku... like 15 different ways.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if the new Square Enix Rep is Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You? It’s getting a Switch-exclusive enhanced port, Final Remix, in October, and probably, probably wouldn’t be as expensive to use more assets from as a second FF Rep that isn’t Zack (Cloud echo). Would probably be easier to negotiate than Geno too, since it would also be advertising for TWEWY Final Remix.

Plus I would love to hear those sweet ass jams in game

Pakky

Smash Hero
So who thinks Square is going to poo the bed and give us Vaan or something?

If we DO get Geno (I hope) please can we have like more than two musics? I mean forest Maze, One-winged angel, are these that hard? (I know you don't say music like that I'm being funny)

Konami is a trash fire right now and they gave up the rights for 34 songs, that's huge.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Think of it like this, at least it won't be Noctis (please).

So who thinks Square is going to poo the bed and give us Vaan or something?

If we DO get Geno (I hope) please can we have like more than two musics? I mean forest Maze, One-winged angel, are these that hard? (I know you don't say music like that I'm being funny)

Konami is a trash fire right now and they gave up the rights for 34 songs, that's huge.
If we get Crono and then get 2 Chrono Trigger songs heads are going to roll.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Chrono Trigger music may be easier to licence than Final Fantasy music, but who knows?

You get 1 Chrono Trigger song and no stage.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Think of it like this, at least it won't be Noctis (please).

1535031944814.jpeg

1535032004214.jpeg

Vaan is worse

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I don't really approve much of x is coming soon so Y character should be in outside of Nintendo's own properties like ARMS etc, PS all stars had their third parties (sans Heihachi) as pretty shameless promotion for x game and it led to things like insisting that you want shirtless donte dlc over classic dante and really random picks like big daddy and issac in because they had a game to shill. You could tell that no one was taking the game seriously and just wanted to hop on the game for ez marketing. Nintendo can get away with say sneaking in spring man or rex at the last minute bc it's their own damn game but characters that exist solely to sell someone else's game gives the game a sleazier feel.

DLC however is open season, people can be as corporate as they want in the DLC stage whever we like it or not

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Vergeben again?

Ok, so he was right about Ridley and Simon...so why has he stopped saying who the characters are? "Ooh, some Gen 7 Pokémon is in, and it isn't Deci, Mimi, or Lycan. I'll only admit it's Incineroar to someone else in a PM." "Ooh, some random Squeenix character is in, it's up to you to decide if it's that puppet, or if it's an echo, or maybe even a new franchise!"

Srsly dude, if you know who they are, spit it out. Otherwise, stop guessing that franchises will get characters when...it's kinda obvious they are the ones that are super likely...

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
No not exactly. They're simply a greedy company and just took the money Nintendo gave to them for the license and that was it. Their IP is on Plinko machines so I don't see it as being too big

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At the very least, Verge is giving us something to talk about.

Still not sure if I want to invest much faith into these newer leaks though. I find it odd that Simon was the only one of the five new characters he predicted from the Direct, and Simon was part of his earlier claims back in April. Granted, this doesn't take away from his credibility because he hasn't been wrong yet, but it's strange how he can find out about Isabelle before three other Echoes, one of which was related to Simon. Just seems so random and out of place.

As for the SE thing, no idea who or what made Verge think we're getting another one. Really wish he would've clarified a bit more on that. I'll be patient and wait for an answer from him, but the way he's handling this feels like the whole "Decidueye/Mimikyu/Lycanroc are disconfirmed, but I don't know for sure who the rep is" debacle from last month. It's fishy and comes across as another attempt to drag the spotlight back on himself.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Popular characters are typically shown off first,
Wacky Curveball characters have always been among the first newcomers revealed in, especially at E3. the fact that we didn't get a :icsmelee:/:zerosuitsamus:/:4wiifit:-style character revealed at E3 or even at this point along with every other trend Ultimate has gone against means that we can't use past trends that much as an argument since Ultimate is clearly a different beast.

You're joking! Not another one!

I don't think we are going to get a Smash newcomer in a Nindies showcase... except for a indie rep. Whoops, the plot thickens.
We're not getting any Smash reveal at an indie showcase.

D

Deleted member

If vergeben is accurate, and this new Indies Direct does end up having at least a hint of a new indie-related Smash characters, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for any of these:

Square-Enix: Crono- Usually tops the charts as the best and most memorable RPG of all time; at least here in the West. I'm not sure how the Japanese feel about it. Would be super cool if they loved the game too. It shouldn't be too hard to differentiate him from the other 'anime swordsman' given his Lightning elemental focus and ability to do team attacks. Good alternative would be Magus, since a Scythe character would be awesome.

Square Enix: Sephiroth- Still clinging to that Hero vs Villain thing (sorry to those who hate that), he is just as memorable as Cloud himself. Plus, his style and the sword itself would lend itself to an entirely different kind of swordsman (the way he holds and uses it is more similar to a Samurai than a Knight).

Square Enix: Geno- Don't care for him myself or see his appeal, but he's certainly possible given the acknowledgement Sakurai made to him last game with the Mii Costume. I just hope he's as cool as everybody is hyping him up to be.

Square Enix: Kefka- From the FF game that is considered the best before RPGs became mainstream thanks to the Playstation, Kefka is the most well-known FF Villain aside from Sephiroth. It would give us another Magic user, but this one more erratic; essentially a Magical Joker, which could lead to a very interesting Smash character. Pretty unlikely, though, if I'm to be honest. At least the others I mentioned have a chance.

Indie: Shantae- Recently played her game and I loved it; she's got a lot of moveset potential and as I had learned; does have prior Nintendo association.
Other than Shovel Knight and Sans, probably among the most recognizable of the Indie choices right now.

I'd be super happy if any of those are added. Though to be fair, since I dont care too much about Geno, I would be slightly dissapointed; I just included him due to how likely he is at this point.

As for the SE thing, no idea who or what made Verge think we're getting another one. Really wish he would've clarified a bit more on that. I'll be patient and wait for an answer from him, but the way he's handling this feels like the whole "Decidueye/Mimikyu/Lycanroc are disconfirmed, but I don't know for sure who the rep is" debacle from last month. It's fishy and comes across as another attempt to drag the spotlight back on himself.
I thought about that, but I think the reason he can't be specific about it might be due to the fact that he has multiple sources. If he has, let's say, 3 sources and all of them say "its not Lycanroc, Decidueye, or Mimikyu", then thats how he can definitively say that, but if two of them are unsure of the actual rep and only 1 says it is definitively Incineroar, then that might be why he's hesitant to outright state that its Incineroar (since he's desperately trying to avoid being wrong and unwilling to commit to it with only 1 source being absolutely sure). Thats just my 2 cents on that whole thing, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Don't count on anything Smash related in an Indies Direct. There's usually never an announcement made there.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
What would be your reaction if the rest of the roster severely disappoints? (disappoints in your view and in the communities?)
My disappointed reaction: Why the hell is Goku, playable Waluigi, Sora, Playstation/Sony-owned characters, and Xbox/Microsoft-owned characters in this game, the hell happened?

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Vergeben is saying his source legit doesn't know who the Square Enix character is, I'm not sure how that works, but this time he's at least not teasing like with his Pokémon claim.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
What if Banjo?
I'm two minds of them. They belong to the competition now, its as easy as that. Also, if we are all only asking for them because they DID belong partially to Nintendo once upon a time and because they have had history with Nintendo, if thats all the fire we need, I personally would rather have Joanna Dark or a Killer Instinct character or a Battletoad rep over Banjo. He's...not that interesting and I was never ga-ga over him or his me too Mario 64 games.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Vergeben is saying his source legit doesn't know who the Square Enix character is, I'm not sure how that works, but this time he's at least not teasing like with his Pokémon claim.
But then that means someone had to tell Vergeben "Square's getting a character. idk who."

I don't see how that information would be readily available unless he has an insider at Square and they say "we're working on Smash." (in which case, could it be other things for Cloud instead?) IT just seems weird that nobody would have brought the character name along.

I get that a lot of people outside development (copyright lawyers, etc) may not know all of the names, but then they're usually like "Oh, we're getting some anime-looking dude with long hair. Sep-something..."

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
With the Pokémon he claimed the same thing. He had a Gen VII Pokémon leaked by several sources, but only one dropped a name (Inceneroar), so he was reclutant ti share it immediately before havung more confirmation from the other sources.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
As of right now, my bet for the Square Enix character (if we get another at all) is Geno. Before the direct, I was confident about the chances of a DQ rep, but it seems like Square is still acting pretty protective of FF content in Smash even with Ultimate, and I have a hard time imagining them being more permissive about DQ (despite the franchise being a massive cultural phenomenon in Japan). However, Geno is just a one-off Mario character that Square hasn't used in years anyways, which would most likely be easier to negotiate because, well, he's still a Mario character despite being third-party. Also, given that licensing for all the new Castlevania content must've been a hassle for Sakurai (lemme remind you: 2 character, a stage, (probably) a boss for Spirits mode, an Assist Trophy, all the characters in Dracula's Castle (Werewolf, Carmilla, the list goes on), and 34 music tracks), spurting out that much content for another new third-party universe (in the context of Smash), especially from Square, would probably be inhuman. And given the series' importance in Japanese society from a cultural standpoint, Sakurai would probably want to do it justice, which I don't think is exactly feasible if, like for FF right now, all you can get apart from a character and a stage is a measly 2 music tracks. Can't forget about the Ballot's prominence in character choices, as well as Sakurai revisiting ideas he had given up on in the past (like Sukapon and Ditto...).

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I never really saw Crono appear high on fan polls, I think that's the only thing he has going against him (outside of other more popular Square characters like geno and sora).
He is, though, one of the characters that has equal appeal in japan and the west.

D

Deleted member

When a "leaker" claims that a Gen 7 Pokemon, Namco Bandai rep, or Square Enix rep is going to happen without specifying anything, I just think of this scene:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom