• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I just realized for each game, I didn't know about the following characters

:falcon64::ness64::samus64:
:marthmelee::gawmelee::icsmelee::roymelee:
:snake::rob::zerosuitsamus:
:4wiifit::4corrin:(technically I was aware of these two, but never thought they'd cross path onto Smash)
:ultrichter: (so far)

Yet she's in because?
I started at melee and had this:

Melee: :falconmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::nessmelee::foxmelee::gawmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::roymelee:

Brawl: :wolf::olimar::ike::lucas::pit:

Smash 4: :4corrin::4darkpit::4lucina::4palutena::4shulk:

Ultimate: :ultchrom::ultrichter:

There are lots of series I don't interact with outside of Smash; it's rare it's got me into specific series (Kirby and DK being the only notable pair).

For the most recent two games I included characters I know of from Smash speculation but nowhere else - namely the FE and Kid Icarus characters alongside Shulk. These are all from games I don't play and have never looked into, but whose names I at least recognised when revealed from spending too much time on this site.

D

Deleted member

As much as I would LOVE seeing Banjo in Smash...I wouldn't count on it. There are a lot of barriers that could keep it from happening, and it's anyone's guess if Phil Spencer's comment about it was just empty words or not and how much say he'd really have in the matter.

As much as people hate this idea (And keep in mind this is just my opinion!), I honestly think Minecraft stuff will make it in before Banjo does. As much I like Minecraft, though, I would probably prefer Banjo stuff myself.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Personally, I am happy with the direction they are going with this Smash. I absolutely thought Smash 4's Character selection was trash. Just not my style of characters that I personally wanted...and I lost some of my mains. :ultwolf::ultsnake:

The only real characters from Smash 4 I was hyped for were :ultlittlemac::ultvillager: and slightly :ultmegaman:. Although I did end up liking :ultpacman: in the end.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I just realized for each game, I didn't know about the following characters

:falcon64::ness64::samus64:
:marthmelee::gawmelee::icsmelee::roymelee:
:snake::rob::zerosuitsamus:
:4wiifit::4corrin:(technically I was aware of these two, but never thought they'd cross path onto Smash)
:ultrichter: (so far)
This is actuakky interesting, because my first Smash game was Brawl, which I bought when I was 10, so the characters I didn't knew were a lot:
:metaknight::snake::dedede::wolf::popo::olimar::ike::rob::toonlink::fox::falcon::zerosuitsamus::lucas::ganondorf::sheik::gw::pit::samus2::falco::marth::ness2::zelda: Were all unknown faces to me (And I was one of the people who called Link Zelda...).
But after that I became a huge Nintendo nerd, and knew every single character added since then. Yes, even Richter lol.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
My theory was that because everyone who wanted a Metroid rep was convinced Sakurai would never put Ridley in, they moved onto the next best thing. Basically Dark Samus wouldn't have been as popular in the Ballot if it weren't for the Ridley controversy, and ironically both are in the game lol.
That is (part of) my theory too. Just another factor that had to happen in order for all the stars to align to get a character like Dark Samus in. Sakurai saying "nah Ridley is too big" back in November 2014 may have spooked and demoralized a lot of Metroid fans into voting for Dark Samus since they saw Sakurai as never allowing Ridley in, but still wanted some sort of Metroid villain consolation prize.

I find it interesting that Sakurai mentions Japanese popularity for Chrom and "overseas" popularity for Dark Samus. This means Sakurai will not just be looking at only Japan or only the West, but will try to satisfy both places.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Dark Samus was an AT in Smash 4, so she most likely didn't do very well.
Might wanna reconsider that though

Charizard, Dedede, Little Mac, Dark Samus, Palutena, Chrom, AND Ridley were all non-playable at one point. Even Sakruai mentioned this about Chrom and Dark Samus
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 1.39.34 PM.png

Last edited:

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
My ballot vote was for Young Link, but with a new moveset using masks... feelsbadman.

Best I can hope for is a Final Smash like Fierce Deity or something.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe we get something all new then as a new group of most wanted? Not the "big three", just some new kind of universally agreed-upon character ensemble.
That's what I'm banking on. When the leader is dead, there must be someone new to take their place, so characters that initially didn't get much attention will be propped up by fans as the new most wanted.

You know what is interesting. When it came to Smash 4, Sakurai usually says a couple of interesting things about how some newcomers came to be (Example: Explaining Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager after their reveals in E3 2013). With Smash Ultimate thus far, he's only explained Ridley's inclusion briefly in a Treehouse livestream. I wonder when we will get some concrete info about Sakurai's inclusion on certain newcomers. Maybe after release he can explain.
The marketing is so rushed this time that he literally has no time to explain.

I think Ridley and K. Rool getting in this game is what they call a Double Subversion on TV Tropes.

We got so used to them not being in that it caught us all by surprise when it actually happened.
More of a case of Cue The Flying Pigs and Unexpected Character.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The relevant characters will get their chance via DLC. Feels goood to have the ones who missed the boat in Brawl can get another go at it.
That's what I'm hoping for. Sakurai is aware that DLC helped Wii U/3DS tons so there's no reason to not do it unless he wants to rustle with everyone's jimmies.

We got characters, stages, costumes for Mii fighters. They could up it up with alt attires

Why do I have this weird feeling we might be sleeping on the idea of Dr. Luigi being a clone of Luigi/Doc?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What if we got a surprise Atari character as a celebration of the Atari VCS?
Interesting fact about Atari

In January 2004, Atari paid $10 million for the exclusive US rights to DBZ games until January 2010. In 2008, Atari claimed over 12.7 million units based on the series had been sold since May 2002. Dragon Ball was Atari's top-earning licensed property, earning $85 million in 2005 and accounting for over 49% of their annual revenue in 2008.

As you can imagine Atari didn't get a renewal on that contract.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My ballot vote was for Young Link, but with a new moveset using masks... feelsbadman.

Best I can hope for is a Final Smash like Fierce Deity or something.
Sadly, with transformation Final Smashes no longer being fully playable, even if Young Link's Final Smash had him changing into Fierce Deity Link, it would most likely operate in the exact same manner as Donkey Kong's new Final Smash.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
One thing that's caught my attention for no good reason is Final Smashes, and we have yet to see the Final Smash of these characters:
:ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultyounglink::ultmetaknight::ultdarkpit::ultdiddy::ultlucario::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultrobin:ultduckhunt::ultrichter:

Who'll be getting new ones? Who'll keep their old one?
If anything, :ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultmetaknight::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultduckhunt: will all probably have their Final Smashes from Smash 4, :ultrichter: will probably have Grand Cross as well. What could work for the rest of the characters? I'm really interested in what :ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultyounglink::ultdiddy::ultrobin will have since I can't really think of options for new ones for them.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So here's a question. What's the first thing you plan to do when you finally boot up the game in December?

For me, I'll go against the bots in regular smash mode to test the new mechanics then I'll jump right into unlocking characters by whatever method they're doing it, hopefully a story mode.
Either jump into Classic Mode or Story/Adventure Mode if it is in, or throw the original 8 in a CPU 8 Player Smash on Mushroom Kingdom 64.
This is the game where characters have been arranged by order of when they were added to the game. I don't think they're too worried about order.

And if branding is a problem, just give 'em a number and then we can argue even more about the cut off point between echo and clone.
It's more that when stacked Blaziken would appear over Capt. Falcon.
The reality is slowly sinking in that I'm gonna have to fight upwards of 70 characters to unlock them. I wonder if they'll make you fight the echoes too or just unlock them together?
Maybe, Sakurai did say they streamlined the process. You may not have to fight anyone.
One thing that really concerns me from the Famitsu article--I was holding out hope that the ambiguity in the translation of the Direct would allow the flexibility of more than four new stages being in, but this again emphasizes 103 stages (104 counting Training Mode). While I love they're bringing some beloved stages back, it's hard to swallow four new stages for what's supposed to be a new game.
Honestly, with what returning stages we're getting, I'm fine. Honestly, most past stages have been superior to new stages in their series. Temple & Mushroom Kingdom 64 have always been my favorites for the whole series.
You guys act like he can't just add more stages later. If he has more characters to reveal, he's not going to spoil their stages beforehand. There's 103 he's WILLING to show off so far. You don't have to be so negative and assume he's going to show us literally ALL of the content before he's even done revealing characters.
He might though, he used the word exactly, which counts the new stages too. If it wasn't exactly 103, he would have said 'Over 100' or something like that.
You can hope for more, you can think there are more, but definitely don't expect more, you may be disappointed if you do.
There's also six empty spaces on the SSS.
The CSS and SSS both had blank spots last game too. They could be saved for DLC honestly.
One thing that's caught my attention for no good reason is Final Smashes, and we have yet to see the Final Smash of these characters:
:ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultyounglink::ultmetaknight::ultdarkpit::ultdiddy::ultlucario::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultrobin:ultduckhunt::ultrichter:

If anything, :ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultmetaknight::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultduckhunt: will all probably have their Final Smashes from Smash 4, :ultrichter: will probably have Grand Cross as well. What could work for the rest of the characters? I'm really interested in what :ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultyounglink::ultdiddy::ultrobin will have since I can't really think of options for new ones for them.
I'm hoping Robin's stays the same but replaces Chrom with Tharja, making her the one firing magic while Robin attacks with the Levin Sword.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Robin could easily keep Pair Up, just replace Chrom with a different character.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It'd be cool if Robin had a Grima alt, where he/she looks possessed.
I think an issue with that is that it'd be hard to tell them apart from similar alts. The primary reason alts exist in the first place is to tell players apart in dittos after all. I mean, that didn't stop them from making male and female Robin look similar, but I think having a possessed alt on top of that would be a bit excessive.

Question is, who? Morgan? Lissa? Frederick? Somebody else?
Waluigi.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I really love reading about that the smash ballot was influential on the characters selection, because now Isaac really has a chance to get in the roster and that's amazing!

But, I don't think only ballot picks would get in Ultimate, I mean, we got Simon and Richter and I didn't see them in a lot of polls before their reveal. I think this time around Sakurai's main focus is to please fans, but I believe theres going to be another surprise characters not picked from the ballot

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
ATM I'm fairly comfortable expecting:

Isabelle, Ken, Geno, Isaac, Skull Kid, Dixie, Shadow and a Chocobo/s

Everything else other than a Gen 7 pokemon are up in the air for me.

Now watch none of them happen while we get Dante and Steve

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

For Lucario, my best guess is that it'll get back its Aura Storm Final Smash from Brawl, but it would change into Mega Lucario before executing the attack; this would also mean that the Final Smash would strike with maximum power, regardless of Lucario's current damage.

For Greninja, maybe during its Final Smash, it'll temporarily change to the Battle Bond form while performing its attack onslaught. But since only certain Greninja have that kind of power, the Greninja in Smash Ultimate would have to be one of the few lucky ones to get the Battle Bond ability.

For Yoshi and Diddy Kong, their Final Smashes will definitely need to be altered to go alongside all the drastic Final Smash changes that characters like Fox, Bowser, Falco, Wario, Mr. G&W, and Little Mac have received.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People also seem to forget that Chrom wasn't the first playable character to be promoted from a Final Smash. :p

:ultpalutena:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
People also seem to forget that Chrom wasn't the first playable character to be promoted from a Final Smash. :p

:ultpalutena:
Hey, we're willfully forgetting, cause that FM was so ass. It never killed anything.

Idk if anyone is getting news about a Nintendo worker "leaking" new info, but this might be rather interesting

https://www.thenerdmag.com/rumor-super-smash-bros-ultimate-leak-by-nintendo-employee/

Take this with a grain of salt, but I'm not buying this until I see it

• Inkling
  • Ridely
  • Simon
  • King K Rool
  • Skull kid
  • Bandana waddle dee
  • Geno
  • Rayman
  • Porky
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Heihachi
  • Isaac
  • (A 7th gen Pokemon rep)

That leak GREATLY appeals to my sensibilities. I Also find it interesting these all appear to be unique character predictions, not echos (but where's Dante)

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think an issue with that is that it'd be hard to tell them apart from similar alts. The primary reason alts exist in the first place is to tell players apart in dittos after all. I mean, that didn't stop them from making male and female Robin look similar, but I think having a possessed alt on top of that would be a bit excessive.
I don't think it'd be that big of an issue. Just change the voice lines to fit the alt. Doesn't need to look different outside of the eyes, If people are playing dittos and pick the exact skin and the exact gender and color of Robin that's their choice.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
While that is true, I'm sure that not voting for characters already in the game in some form was a common sentiment. I really wanted Takamaru, but I didn't vote for him since he was an AT, and I'm sure I am not the only one.

And besides all, I really doubt that Dark Samus was among the Top picks for the Ballot. She probably did well enough for being noticed and made as a easy clone, but that doesn't mean she was a Top Tier choice, otherwise she woukd have been an unique character, since she had the potential for being one.
I absolutely want to clarify that I don't think Dark Samus did even anywhere close to top 10. (Heck Ridley might not even).

However she probably did extremely well for Metroid characters and I absolutely expect Sakurai to have looked for potential echoes who were popular in the ballot. So yeah I think she did great, but not where good enough to be a unique fighter (obviously).
I read this as character select screen, and I thought I finally had proof that no one on this site actually plays Smash Bros.
Are you saying you like 4's CSS? It's easily my least favorite in the series. DLC makes it only more of a mess.
Question is, who? Morgan? Lissa? Frederick? Somebody else?
....since I'm thinking about it for the first time Tharja actually is a likely choice. Doesn't make sense in a canon way but she's easily one of the most popular Smash characters with a direct connection to Robin in her personality. I could see her getting a decent amount of votes among Awakening Characters (just under Chrom maybe?). I mean I think it's implied Fiora did well enough to be included in Shulk's final smash so it makes sense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As far as the ballot goes for me, I voted for Inkling, and they play exactly how I imagined they would, so I guess I got pretty lucky.

King K. Rool and Ridley were also big wants for me, so...yeah, I don't really have much to complain about. I am hoping Isaac joins, though; mainly for the people who want him.

D

Deleted member

Idk if anyone is getting news about a Nintendo worker "leaking" new info, but this might be rather interesting

https://www.thenerdmag.com/rumor-super-smash-bros-ultimate-leak-by-nintendo-employee/

Take this with a grain of salt, but I'm not buying this until I see it
Im calling Fake. They're not even thinking about DLC until this game goes Gold, yet this one states what characters they're planning on? BS. Plus, they know the name of every character being added, but just "7th Gen Pokemon" instead of its actual name? More BS.

The thing is literally a wishlist of all the characters left that people have been clamoring for; Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, Banjo-Kazooie, Isabelle, Shadow; even Porky (who was higher up on the speculation list awhile back).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom