• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Yeah. I doubt that Dark Samus, Simon, and Richter did well on the ballot.
He literally said in the article that Dark Samus got a lot of overseas requests.

Check my previous post that I quoted you in for my tinfoil theory about how Dark Samus was most likely the highest if not second highest requested Metroid character.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’m personally not too wild about it either since it’s so different from how the roster is normally.

It feels weird just to break it and I know that a lot of people will be happy with some of the picks but it’s just kinda off-putting.
Mind you guys, I’m not upset with the direction this time, it’s just a very strange transition from the norm is all.

D

Deleted member

stop believing every damn leak that said richter too
My dad is Who Created Kirby and he said that King K. Rool's reveal was just a ruse and the guy who said King K. Rool was an assist is correct.

This makes sense because Sakurai is a troll™.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
He literally said in the article that Dark Samus got a lot of overseas requests.

Check my previous post that I quoted you in for my tinfoil theory about how Dark Samus was most likely the highest if not second highest requested Metroid character.
Despite this, DS was edged out by Sylux, due to the latter having a potential future in the franchise.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
When considering everything regarding speculation and the ballot, it just does not make much sense to me that every newcomer and echo was primarily chosen due to their notable presence in the ballot.

You're assumption is in that the ballot would be the end all be all.

Bayonetta was the ballot WINNER, and that win itself has an asterisk next to it, because popularity in the ballot isn't enough. Shovel Knight, Ashley, Bomberman, Krystal, I'm sure they were all decently popular but they were cut all the same.

I think the characters being looked at are those whose popularity was displayed in the ballot. IMO Richter is the only newcommer we've received who would counter this point, but he is an echo to the very popular character Simon, and I think the reasoning Sakurai chose him was clear. It's not so much that if you were good on the ballot you're more likely a spot, but if you weren't very big on the ballot, you're not gonna have a good time.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
By looking at the SourceGaming data from 2015, when the Ballot was going, their Top 4 for Newcomers were King K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Inklings and Magolor. Yeah, they really love Kirby over there.
View attachment 159112
According to this banjo kazooie are more popular than Ashley in Japan. What was that about Ashley being uber popular and banjo kazooie being not popular at all?

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I still think they will add Xenoblade Chronicles X and more Pokemon Sun and Moon content in the game. I mean Sun and Moon is basically already confirmed, with many new pokeballs and and even the remixed Alola Battle theme in the game. It just makes sense for Sakurai to add a character as well. I also find it hard to believe that Sakurai would skip Xenoblade X. He thinks of every series in the game including Xenoblade. We also still have yet to see a remixed Xenoblade track on the site too. There will at least be a stage in my opinion, but seeing as we haven't seen it yet, a character seems inevitable as well.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The relevant characters will get their chance via DLC. Feels goood to have the ones who missed the boat in Brawl can get another go at it.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I still think they will add Xenoblade Chronicles X and more Pokemon Sun and Moon content in the game. I mean Sun and Moon is basically already confirmed, with many new pokeballs and and even the remixed Alola Battle theme in the game. It just makes sense for Sakurai to add a character as well. I also find it hard to believe that Sakurai would skip Xenoblade X. He thinks of every series in the game including Xenoblade. We also still have yet to see a remixed Xenoblade track on the site too. There will at least be a stage in my opinion, but seeing as we haven't seen it yet, a character seems inevitable as well.
If they don't then you can probably expect them as DLC in regards to either XCX/XC2 and a Gen 7 Mon.

I think both are assured either way it's more the question of "at base" or "dlc".

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
richter is more popular than simon in japan iirc. The Richter vs Simon thing was an awkward problem that they chose to solve by adding both, especially as it seriously looks like richter is just a extended version of an alt skin. The impact of Richter is being grossly overrated, it's just a bonus, and honestly, I don't believe it means anything other than they put the effort in to please all castlevania fans (Not smash fans in this case)

Richter doesn't mean proof of the character selection process meaning x or y, and also, stop believing every damn leak that said richter too. I wouldn't be surprised if no one knew about richter just because nintendo thought it wasn't even nessesary to tell people he existed.
There is no proof that Richter is more popular than Simon in Japan. Actually Castlevania as a whole is quite a niche series in Japan, so it would be like asking to the West which Dragon Quest character is more popular. Heck he wrote that column in Japanese, which means that he expects japanese players to go "Who's Richter?"

And it is still a relevant pick because he is a TP, so he had to be licensed, which means he was an unpopular pick planned since the beginning, rather than a last minute bonus.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If they don't then you can probably expect them as DLC in regards to either XCX/XC2 and a Gen 7 Mon.

I think both are assured either way it's more the question of "at base" or "dlc".
Well, if Pokemon gets a DLC newcomer, I think that a Gen 8 mon is more likely.

D

Deleted member

Can people please stop saying "X is popular in Japan?" Depending on what polls are used, the results are always different.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The roster may be mostly comprised of Ballot Picks, but a Pokemon, Xenoblade, other relavent characters aren't ruled out yet.
I can't imagine Richter did that amazingly on the ballot, Sakurai's still picking characters he wants.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
There is no proof that Richter is more popular than Simon in Japan. Actually Castkevania as a whole is quite a niche series in Japan, so it would be like asking to the West which character was more popular in Dragon Quest. Heck he wrote that column in Japanese, which means that he expects japanese players to go "Who's Richter?"

And it is still a relevant pick because he is a TP, so he had to be licensed, which means he was an unpopular pick planned since the beginning, rather than a last minute bonus.
We'd have an easy answer for you in the West. It'd be Jessica from DQ8 :p

Well, if Pokemon gets a DLC newcomer, I think that a Gen 8 mon is more likely.
That's also possible... Hmm I wonder if Gen 7 will end up being skimmed over like Gen 3 & 5 were.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The relevant characters will get their chance via DLC. Feels goood to have the ones who missed the boat in Brawl can get another go at it.
...No, it doesn't mean that who missed Brawl will be added.

Sakurai specifically said that King K. Rool came from the Ballot, the 2015 one. Not because he was requested for years. If a character was requested for Brawl but didn't performed high enough in the Ballot they aren't going to be added. Case in point: Krystal.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know I'm a huge fan of Konami IP's. Metal Gear, Castlevania, Silent Hill, Bomberman, and even Yugioh for a time. Goemon is one of their rare franchises I had no interest in. Like, I've never had an interest in that character or his games at all.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Despite this, DS was edged out by Sylux, due to the latter having a potential future in the franchise.
Fans don't take in account whether or not a character is canonically dead.

Also everyone puts wayyyy to much weight into whether a character was already in the game effected their ballot votes. I voted for multiple characters in the game, people are still crossing their fingers for Waluigi despite his status. What makes you think people wouldn't vote for a character they wanted?

Dark Samus definitely did well in the ballot for Metroid and I imagine Ridley did too.

I really think we will see mostly ballot picks except for a few exceptions (Gen 7 Pokemon....mayyyyybe a Xenoblade X character but I'm not predicting it).

D

Deleted member

*crosses finger for Wonder-Red doing well enough in the ballot for Sakurai to at least notice him*

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sceptile had a little surge of popularity during the ballot, didn't it?
I don't know if it did that well, but I wouldn't mind Sceptile (Swampert's better but Sceptile's cool too).

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Fans don't take in account whether or not a character is canonically dead.

Also everyone puts wayyyy to much weight into whether a character was already in the game effected their ballot votes. I voted for multiple characters in the game, people are still crossing their fingers for Waluigi despite his status. What makes you think people wouldn't vote for a character they wanted?

Dark Samus definitely did well in the ballot for Metroid and I imagine Ridley did too.

I really think we will see mostly ballot picks except for a few exceptions (Gen 7 Pokemon....mayyyyybe a Xenoblade X character but I'm not predicting it).
Dark Samus was an AT in Smash 4, so she most likely didn't do very well.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I just realized for each game, I didn't know about the following characters

:falcon64::ness64::samus64:
:marthmelee::gawmelee::icsmelee::roymelee:
:snake::rob::zerosuitsamus:
:4wiifit::4corrin:(technically I was aware of these two, but never thought they'd cross path onto Smash)
:ultrichter: (so far)

Yet she's in because?

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I don't know if it did that well, but I wouldn't mind Sceptile (Swampert's better but Sceptile's cool too).
I'm hoping Gardevoir did great in the ballot as well.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'll say it one more time as not to repeat too much. I voted for Ridley and Skull Kid despite their status. I know many who did similar. People would absolutely vote for Waluigi now if there was another ballot.

People will vote for the characters they want. Period.

If you don't respond to that point I'm going to stop responding back.

Untouch

Smash Master
ORAS was released when the ballot was ongoing and grass is the only type without a final EVO, there could be a chance here.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Its nice to see older faces have a legitimate chance this time around, but I hope that Ultimate isn't the only chance they'll get. There's still plenty of characters that may not make it in, or have made it in as Assist Trophies, that'd be great to see make it on the roster in a future installment.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'm just gonna say it. Simon's move set looks bland as hell.
How so? Its incredibly faithful to the source material, his main weapon isn't used by any other Smash character (aside from Richter of course), and he can do some unique things like the whip twirl which nobody else on the roster has a move even remotely similar to.

I think they did a phenomenal job with him.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
And yet, Little Mac got into Smash 4 despite being an Assist Trophy in Brawl, Ridley got into Ultimate despite being a boss in Brawl and Smash 4, and Chrom got into Ultimate despite being in Robin's Final Smash in Smash 4. Just because Dark Samus was an Assist Trophy doesn't mean that people couldn't vote for them on the ballot, there was never any rule stating "no voting for Assist Trophies" or anything like that.

D

Deleted member

I mean, the ballot numbers were never released unfortunately, so it's hard to say who did and didn't do well. The Smash fanbase tends to be an echo chamber regarding opinions about who is and isn't considered popular, so without numbers to go off of, we really only have our own individual bias as to who we each perceive as popular to have a chance.

I personally think Geno has a real shot now, but I could be very wrong. There's always a silent majority for these things, and we have no idea what they voted for. Best to just wait and see, IMO.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Is there any specific reason I seem to see people expecting another Xenoblade rep, not just supporting but expecting? Like, beyond popularity of the series
It's a growing series for which Sakurai showed thay he is a fan of (he personally went to a Xenoblade 1 concert).
And the fact that when the project plan was made the latest game in the series was just released, with the next one already in the works (while it was too early for being used for Smash, Sakurai probably knew of XC2 existance since Monolith probably told him when he contacted them for Shulk and any other Xenoblade content), proves that the series wasn't going anywhere.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah, people wanted a grass type to round out Charizard and Greninja, and it helps that it has a fairly popular design. I'm a pretty big fan of the pokemon and probably would have voted for it if I hadn't given my vote to Ivysaur instead, so I'd be pretty happy if we managed to get it.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Is there any specific reason I seem to see people expecting another Xenoblade rep, not just supporting but expecting? Like, beyond popularity of the series
I'm not expecting them because I do think the roster was decided late 2015, early 2016 around the end of the ballot. Elma wasn't a hugely requested character until people knew a new smash was coming. So yea. I do feel most people predict a Xenoblade character based on how much bigger and important the series has become, but that would have to disregard the state of the series in 2015-16, which I don't think warranted a newcomer, especially one that wasn't highly requested at the time.

Thoughts? I'm not big into the series so I could be totally wrong. Just don't see it happening.

I feel plenty of people were aware of this little tidbit.

Actually a really good point, thank you.

Side note, looking at the best guesses for the ballot, the only thing I have off is Isaac, which I'm not sold on, and the fact I've included Medusa as an echo even though she probably didn't do well. I just like her lol.

Could we get Geno & Banjo??? I'm not sure yet...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
And yet, Little Mac got into Smash 4 despite being an Assist Trophy in Brawl, Ridley got into Ultimate despite being a boss in Brawl and Smash 4, and Chrom got into Ultimate despite being in Robin's Final Smash in Smash 4. Just because Dark Samus was an Assist Trophy doesn't mean that people couldn't vote for them on the ballot, there was never any rule stating "no voting for Assist Trophies" or anything like that.
While that is true, I'm sure that not voting for characters already in the game in some form was a common sentiment. I really wanted Takamaru, but I didn't vote for him since he was an AT, and I'm sure I am not the only one.

And besides all, I really doubt that Dark Samus was among the Top picks for the Ballot. She probably did well enough for being noticed and made as a easy clone, but that doesn't mean she was a Top Tier choice, otherwise she woukd have been an unique character, since she had the potential for being one.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I mean, the ballot numbers were never released unfortunately, so it's hard to say who did and didn't do well. The Smash fanbase tends to be an echo chamber regarding opinions about who is and isn't considered popular, so without numbers to go off of, we really only have our own individual bias as to who we each perceive as popular to have a chance.

I personally think Geno has a real shot now, but I could be very wrong. There's always a silent majority for these things, and we have no idea what they voted for. Best to just wait and see, IMO.
Us who voted Zero know we got him to be an AT now haha. honestly I wasn't even salty about it. Made my vote feel like it COUNTED for something which was neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom