• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if some third party characters appearing in Smash without their games on a Nintendo system, means they WILL have a game on a Nintendo system, not counting spinoffs or crossovers?

Mega Man, Pac Man, Simon, Richter, Sonic, Ryu, Bayonetta, Snake - have all had at least one game on a Nintendo system prior to their Smash inclusion. Mega Man (the series) was born on the NES as was Castlevania; Street Fighter II was on the SNES; Pac-Man had several games on different Nintendo generation systems; Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was initially GameCube exclusive; Metal Gear Solid had a GameCube exclusive remake, Twin Snakes; and Bayonetta 2 was released on Wii U shortly before Smash 4’s DLC period happened, and Bayonetta 1 was also a Wii U digital release.

Now for Cloud and potentially Dante: their only Nintendo appearances were crossovers and spinoffs. Cloud was in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, whose vanilla release was on Game Boy Advance; and also appeared in the 3DS Final Fantasy rhythm game spinoff Theatrhythm. Dante was as mentioned in both Project X Zone games (seen alongside characters who are also present in Smash in some form, like Ryu, Chrom, Lucina, and for non playables in Smash, Fiora, Metal Face and Zero).

What if, and hear me out here - Cloud and Dante would have mainline entries on the Switch soon, like Devil May Cry 5 and Final Fantasy VII Remake being ported to Switch? Adding Dante could well promote a future DMC5 port.

Idk that’s just a theory I have

And yes I know FF was also born on the NES, but the smash site specifically lists Cloud as being from Final Fantasy VII, and that FF in particular has never been on a Nintendo system before

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
"I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time "

Cool, I wonder what other Ballot choices we could get?
Omg I don't know how I missed that after reading the article. That's huge. While he doesn't say ALL are from the ballot, it proves he did pick from there.

Time to pull up ballot results again! Anyone know where to find some good, as accurate as we can get results? I was going to make a new prediction roster anyway lol.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I will genuinely be irritated if Blaziken shows up as Captain Falcons echo instead of Black Shadow or Blood Falcon.
Yeah, how dare they use the most iconic Gen 3 Pokémon. They should instead use a character from a dead series that's only popular with angry Zelda fans.

Staarih

Smash Master
"I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time "

Cool, I wonder what other Ballot choices we could get?
Yup, it’s going to be interesting to see.

Though there’s bound to be some Sakurai picks as well imo. Candidates like a 7th Gen Pokémon, Chorus Kids (though after Gematsu they might’ve gotten votes) and maybe a retro/weird pick are still on the table.
...and maybe Elma as she didn’t really have a shot in the ballot because X releasing in the midst of it all.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Don't forget Majora's Mask :)
That one was made before the ballot started, meaning that it was not influenced by it. I only counted costumes from Wave 3 and onwards, because those were made after the start of the ballot.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

Sweet, sweet, direct confirmation that the ballot was used to pick characters for this game. (It's in the first paragraph about K Rool)

Even if we were sure of it ourselves, it's so good to directly hear it. This improves the chances of a lot of the expected top picks greatly.
Several things are very interesting from this column.

-Even Sakurai stated that many would go "Who's Richter?", proving that he wasn't chosen because of popularity. Which means thay most likely we will see other less requested characters as surprises.

-Sakurai confirmed that King K. Rool was picked due to the Ballot, not because he was requested for years. In fact he didn't even mentioned his demand through the years. What this tells us is that Sakurai is focusing on the Ballot for fan-demand, rather than long time requests, so characters that were popular once but became lesser relevant during the Ballot period might not join (just like Krystal).

-Sakurai really pointed that reaching 100 non-Smash Original stages was his mission. While it doesn't outright deconfirm more stages, it surely doesn't bode well for new franchises not featured yet, because since Brawl (and even Melee if Akaneia wasn't cut due to time constraints) every single playable series has a stage, with the sole exception being R.O.B. which is a real life item rather than an in-game character. This also gives more legs to characters from existing series, like Bandana Dee, Gen VII Pokémon, Elma, Isabelle...

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Can someone please fill me in on the whole Dante situation, I’ve been really confused about it so I need clarity.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What's the chances of their being another Smash Ballot?
What if this time it's a Smash Poll and they straight up give us x characters to choose from.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, how dare they use the most iconic Gen 3 Pokémon. They should instead use a character from a dead series that's only popular with angry Zelda fans.
More like, how dare they include a pokemon as an echo when the template character appeared in the original Smash game and is the sole character to not receive another representative. But you are right. Make Black Shadow an original character instead.
Edit: yoshi does not really count
E

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
What if this time it's a Smash Poll and they straight up give us x characters to choose from.
I would hate it. I can't choose the character I might actually like, or knowing my luck my pick woukd probably be left out just by one place.

Unless it is something like "We will do every character in this listm the result will only imoact the order they will hapoen". That would be nice, altough it would kill the hype for all the future reveals.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
More like, how dare they include a pokemon as an echo when the template character appeared in the original Smash game and is the sole character to not receive another representative. But you are right. Make Black Shadow an original character instead.
Edit: yoshi does not really count
E

what if they make black shadows an original character and give all the canon ganopndorf moves like dead man's volley and stuff? :v

edit:forgot to quote

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Man forget Black Shadow, Deathborn all the way!

From the way I understand it its like wanting :ultbowserjr: over :ultbowser:

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I would hate it. I can't choose the character I might actually like, or knowing my luck my pick woukd probably be left out just by one place.

Unless it is something like "We will do every character in this listm the result will only imoact the order they will hapoen". That would be nice, altough it would kill the hype for all the future reveals.
I think it would be interesting to see Sakurai pick 10 characters that he wants and lets the fans decide the top 3 that he will make.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I either see Black Shadow or Deathborn when peoples talk about F-Zero rep.

While we all know that the real best choice would be James McCloud.

Think about it, a character that both represent F-Zero AND Star Fox!

That's like killing two monkey birds in one laser stone.:ultkrool:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I don't know about the chances of another Smash poll, but I would wish to have another poll since my choice ended being a part of Shulk's Final Smash.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Not that I disagree with you but hoo boy, I'll get the popcorn ready.
Well yeah, ill ignore it. I have nuanced it before. While Yoshi has several games of his own, he did start in Super Mario World and is part of the whole Mario crowd. While Captain Falcon has his own F-Zero franchise

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Having a lot of characters is obviously a great thing. But has anyone stopped and thought about balance? Patches in Smash Wii U didn't really solve anything, and I don't want 80% of the cast being forgotten about.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
I can't imagine we only get 4 new stages - with 6 open spots I think we're definitely due to get a few more, unless there's gonna be stage DLC (one newcomer, one echo, one new stage, one returning stage like Poke-Floats or Melee Mute City for example in each DLC pack)

As far as characters go, I can definitely see big boosts to Issac, Geno, Skull Kid, and Skull Kid and small boosts to unlikely but highly desirable characters like Banjo-Kazooie.

The only character I don't see happening despite being a popular guess here is Bandana Waddle Dee - I just don't see him happening but I easily could be wrong.

In line with everything I've gathered from all of the material provided to us in the form of actual reveals, hints, leakers like Vergeben, and the confirmation that the ballot was used to determine fighters for absolute sure now, this is my final roster prediction (and unbelievably, my only one posted here!)

Newcomers:
Ridley
Inkling
Simon Belmont
K. Rool
Skull Kid
Geno
Issac
Monster Hunter
Rayman

Echos:
Dark Samus
Chrom
Richter
Daisy
Isabelle (Villager)
Ken (Ryu)
Shadow (Sonic)
Dixie (Diddy)
Black Shadow (Falcon/Ganondorf)

Some of you may ask why I think Rayman is here - Never underestimate the power of a strong relationship with Ubisoft, and the fact that Rayman was a trophy when he absolutely didn't need to be.

Monster Hunter is unbelievably popular and has confirmed representation with Rathalos and a previously existing Mii Costume, I'd say he's slightly above a 50-50 chance which puts him in my prediction.

Black Shadow is the only character I'm not fully confident in, but I don't think Sakurai will ignore F-Zero 4 games in a row, and he's a natural echo as well as a villain.

As much as I want Banjo-Kazooie, I don't see Microsoft playing ball despite Phil Spencer's comments. I would LOVE to be proven wrong here.

This assortment of characters would ultimately make a lot of people happy, and I could see Lloyd, Heihachi, Black Knight, Springman/RibbonGirl, Rex & Pyra, and a few others come in as DLC.

Thanks for reading my wall of text prediction!

Untouch

Smash Master
This column has confused me even more regarding squad strike.
" In the first ruleset, the winner of a match goes on to face the next opponent."
I'm very confused, when he says "goes on" it doesn't sound like the same battle, but instead another battle. Does that mean the health and stocks will be replenished?

D

Deleted member

We're gonna get 101 stages and everyone knows from what game that final stage will be from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
All of the characters I want relied on relevancy instead of the ballot.
'Cause I'm a hipster, I guess.
I mean that doesn’t necessarily bar any characters Sakurai picked himself though...???

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think it would be interesting to see Sakurai pick 10 characters that he wants and lets the fans decide the top 3 that he will make.
It would surely be interesting, but the worse part would be seeing 7 characters not making the cut. Just imagine if something like that happened with Smash For selection: who woukd people vote between Wii Fit Trainer or Mega-Man, between Little Mac and a random Villager...we would probably loose those cool oddball choices that makes sense only after Sakurai realize the character, and that make Smash so unique.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So here's a question. What's the first thing you plan to do when you finally boot up the game in December?

For me, I'll go against the bots in regular smash mode to test the new mechanics then I'll jump right into unlocking characters by whatever method they're doing it, hopefully a story mode.
I'll be doing the same. I'll try Link and Samus then start unlocking. If possible I'll unlock Ridley first.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
People just want lesser known characters to get in.

On one hand, it does suck that this may be the case, but in the other, there are many characters people still have been clamoring for for years.

Ridley and K. Rool probably were some of the top characters overseas and in Japan respectively, same with Dark Samus and Chrom. The idea that many of people's favorites can actually get in the game when before it seemed like a pipedream is extremely surreal.

I personally think that our new Triforce (Skull Kid, Isaac, Geno) is going to be super short-lived for a very good reason XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom