• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Unlock Inkling.

How would it be bad asthetically? Due to numbering and all does it really matter if Blaziken is between Falcon and Ness?

And how would it be hard to license?
Because echoes can be stacked, which means there would be an incongruity between series in a single slot. And while some series may be okay with it, I highly doubt ones like The Pokemon Company would like Captain Falcon sharing a slot with their IP. It was okay with clones, because they weren't associated in game with the characters they were based on. Now that echoes is an in-game branding, little things like that must be taken into consideration.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I feel like every time a popular character is brought up someone says they are not popular in Japan. The only things people seem to think are popular in Japan are monster Hunter, dragon quest, and Ashley. I'm inclined to believe people are talking out there ***** half the time this is brought up. How are people gauging this? Is there some kind of all encompasing Japan popularity poll or something? I legitimately want to know.
A large majority of people I see usually refer to large fan polls (SourceGaming being the obvious/infamous example) and take them as definitive.

There are some other fan polls on large Japanese sites/forums, but just as Smashboards/reddit/GFAQs/4chan not being an accurate/end-all-be-all representation of all the popular fanbase desires for the west (the amount of never-been-to-forums-unironic-Goku votes notwithstanding), we're only seeing a small sample size that may or may not be be skewed, outdated or not taking every detail into account (most of the polls that have newer choices like Arms/Xenoblade 2 were obviously are in mind long after the ballot/game's initial planning phase was complete).

Fact of the matter is we don't know what they'll be doing for sure until long after the speculation period is over. We can only make assumptions from previous patterns.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
So... I’ve learn about there was a leak about the upcoming new DmC game and see it talks about that Dantae is going to be in Smash. It also has description about the trailer as well.

Any thoughts if Dantae came in Smash?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Because echoes can be stacked, which means there would be an incongruity between series in a single slot. And while some series may be okay with it, I highly doubt ones like The Pokemon Company would like Captain Falcon sharing a slot with their IP. It was okay with clones, because they weren't associated in game with the characters they were based on. Now that echoes is an in-game branding, little things like that must be taken into consideration.
This is the game where characters have been arranged by order of when they were added to the game. I don't think they're too worried about order.

And if branding is a problem, just give 'em a number and then we can argue even more about the cut off point between echo and clone.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still think it is entriely possible for there to be more than one Pokemon.

We already got two Metroid baddies and two Belmonts.

I'm hoping on a Pokemon direct that talks both Let's Go and Smash but we'll wait and see. GF doesn't really play ball with the rest of Nintendo. Had Smash been made today, they'd have kept Pokemon out.
While it's certainly possible (and something I'd be more than okay with), I think DLC is the only way we'll get two unique Pokémon newcomers. We're almost three months away until the release, so to get two Pokémon announced within that short timespan when there's already a limited number of newcomers would be miraculous to say the least.

So here's a question. What's the first thing you plan to do when you finally boot up the game in December?

For me, I'll go against the bots in regular smash mode to test the new mechanics then I'll jump right into unlocking characters by whatever method they're doing it, hopefully a story mode.
Unlock my favorite character/newcomers, get a feeling for the controls by playing solo modes, and then play a few matches with my friends online.

I'm a completionist though, so once that's all done, I'm working towards unlocking everything and beating all the challenges.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
The reality is slowly sinking in that I'm gonna have to fight upwards of 70 characters to unlock them. I wonder if they'll make you fight the echoes too or just unlock them together?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The reality is slowly sinking in that I'm gonna have to fight upwards of 70 characters to unlock them. I wonder if they'll make you fight the echoes too or just unlock them together?
Given Dark Samus won't be available at launch, I'm guessing separately.

Staarih

Smash Master
Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
K. Rool ranked high on the ballot? Couldn't have been first though, because Bayonetta was the real winner. :p

I find it interesting how Sakurai states Chrom was added because of Japan and Dark Samus was added because of overseas. Gotta say, I'm really impressed with the amount of effort he's taking to appeal to all regions. Feels like Japan had the strongest influence during Smash 4.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
While it's certainly possible (and something I'd be more than okay with), I think DLC is the only way we'll get two unique Pokémon newcomers. We're almost three months away until the release, so to get two Pokémon announced within that short timespan when there's already a limited number of newcomers would be miraculous to say the least.
Only way I can see it is if there was one particular Pokemon that did very well in the ballot and Game Freak having one particular Gen 7 Pokemon they wanna push (I swear, I'm getting tired of Incenaroar from being pushed so much in the anime, guess that makes the wrestler theme more authentic)

Side note: Whenever I hear the word miraculous, this is where my mind goes...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Did the ballot influence some Assist Trophies (like Shovel Knight and Bomberman), stage cameos (like Captain Toad), and/or new Final Smash elements (like Kumatora, Fiora, Proto Man and Bass)?

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Has Sakurai actually mentioned the ballot before this (regarding Ultimate)? Anyway, safe to say the ballot does indeed play a part, as we expected.

Also, I take Chrom was more wanted in Japan whereas Dark Samus in the west?
Nope, seriously people, keep your eyes peeled on Isaac, Geno, Bandana Dee, Banjo, etc, as those probably were the other top ballot choices.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Only way I can see it is if there was one particular Pokemon that did very well in the ballot and Game Freak having one particular Gen 7 Pokemon they wanna push (I swear, I'm getting tired of Incenaroar from being pushed so much in the anime, guess that makes the wrestler theme more authentic)

Side note: Whenever I hear the word miraculous, this is where my mind goes...
Oof, you just reminded me that Cristina and Nate just officially broke off their engagement. :crying:

also I tend to think that too...and waiting for new episodes is suffering rip

On a side note I tend to get really bothered when people use the acronym DmC, with a lowercase M, to refer to the main line Devil May Cry series as the acronym DmC was ONLY used for the reboot we dare not speak of

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I doubt that Simon or Richter did well on the ballot due to Snake getting cut and Konami's position at the time. Same with Dark Samus (due to her being an AT with no future in her own franchise).
I was literally gunna comment on how Dark Samus actually probably did either the best or second best in the ballot for Metroid characters and Sakurai has basically confirmed my tinfoil hat theory!

My theory was that because everyone who wanted a Metroid rep was convinced Sakurai would never put Ridley in, they moved onto the next best thing. Basically Dark Samus wouldn't have been as popular in the Ballot if it weren't for the Ridley controversy, and ironically both are in the game lol.

D

Deleted member

So here's a question. What's the first thing you plan to do when you finally boot up the game in December?

For me, I'll go against the bots in regular smash mode to test the new mechanics then I'll jump right into unlocking characters by whatever method they're doing it, hopefully a story mode.
I'll start unlocking people so I can get the new characters. Any time I get someone new to the series (be it brand new, echo, or a veteran not in the Wii U version), I'll take them to practice against a lvl 5 CPU and any that I enjoy the feel of, I'll practice against a lvl 9 until i get a real good feel for them.

Rinse & Repeat.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Did the ballot influence some Assist Trophies (like Shovel Knight and Bomberman), stage cameos (like Captain Toad), and/or new Final Smash elements (like Kumatora, Fiora, Proto Man and Bass)?
Shovel Knight most definitely, maybe Bomberman too, but I think the others are all characters who make sense in their roles and would likely be the same regardless of how they did in the ballot.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On the topic of Devil May Cry, what Nintendo games has Dante appeared in?

I think he was in both Project X Zone games.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On the topic of Devil May Cry, what Nintendo games has Dante appeared in?

I think he was in both Project X Zone games.
He was, and also some Japan only Capcom game on either the DS or 3DS, I don’t remember the title

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
One thing that really concerns me from the Famitsu article--I was holding out hope that the ambiguity in the translation of the Direct would allow the flexibility of more than four new stages being in, but this again emphasizes 103 stages (104 counting Training Mode). While I love they're bringing some beloved stages back, it's hard to swallow four new stages for what's supposed to be a new game.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
One thing that really concerns me from the Famitsu article--I was holding out hope that the ambiguity in the translation of the Direct would allow the flexibility of more than four new stages being in, but this again emphasizes 103 stages (104 counting Training Mode). While I love they're bringing some beloved stages back, it's hard to swallow four new stages for what's supposed to be a new game.
And that also means that there will be no more new franchises. All of the remaining newcomers will come from franchises that already have playable characters.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Honestly no character is a lock
:ultinkling: (that’s it, nobody else got the exception)

Have an 8 Player Smash with the original 8 on Battlefield
K. Rool wasn't realisable in Smash 4. :p
had to go there
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

Sweet, sweet, direct confirmation that the ballot was used to pick characters for this game. (It's in the first paragraph about K Rool)

Even if we were sure of it ourselves, it's so good to directly hear it. This improves the chances of a lot of the expected top picks greatly.
Guess characters who can be unique like Issac are more likely to be guaranteed as well as being in the top 10-15, and possible echoes like Shadow are near top 15 and lower

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Maybe check Training mode a bit, but the big thing I do first in Smash is get the music set up. With all stages unlocked, I’m also hoping all music is open from the beginning so I can just get that done.

I’m a bit anal about music on stages, so I’m gonna set it up that no stage duplicates a song, so that’s gonna take a while to get all 100+ stages set up correctly.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
You guys act like he can't just add more stages later. If he has more characters to reveal, he's not going to spoil their stages beforehand. There's 103 he's WILLING to show off so far. You don't have to be so negative and assume he's going to show us literally ALL of the content before he's even done revealing characters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You guys act like he can't just add more stages later. If he has more characters to reveal, he's not going to spoil their stages beforehand. There's 103 he's WILLING to show off so far. You don't have to be so negative and assume he's going to show us literally ALL of the content before he's even done revealing characters.
There's also six empty spaces on the SSS.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I will genuinely be irritated if Blaziken shows up as Captain Falcons echo instead of Black Shadow or Blood Falcon.

Staarih

Smash Master
Sakurai says their ”mission” was to create 100 stages and from what we know, they’ve accomplished it - why stop there? I personally feel they’re still under work to create at least a few more new ones.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

Sweet, sweet, direct confirmation that the ballot was used to pick characters for this game. (It's in the first paragraph about K Rool)

Even if we were sure of it ourselves, it's so good to directly hear it. This improves the chances of a lot of the expected top picks greatly.
I also love how he refers to nothing in Smash being to scale anyway. Feels like a direct call out to Ridley, as if Sakurai is saying he got over him needing to be a giant flying monster to make him playable. I still appreciate that everyday lol.
Yea he does seem to be emphasizing it. I'm pretty sure that's it for returning, but not convinced on new stages. I think we could absolutely get 2 or 3 more for unrevealed newcomers (not that 6-7 new stages total would make you feel much better)...but then again some of the newcomers could reuse simialr themes like King K. Rool with the Pirate Ship. For example we could see an Alolan Pokemon on Tortimer Island, Rhythm Heaven on Hannenbow, etc.

I don't think we should disqualify unrepresented series based on stages. It's happened in the past.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
"I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time "

Cool, I wonder what other Ballot choices we could get?
In terms of Mii Fighter costumes (which K.Rool and Chrom got, BTW) there's Black Knight, Lloyd Irving, the Monster Hunter, Geno, and Tails.

monadoboy

Smash Lord

Get Shulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom