• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random thought, it's been nearly 10 years since SMRPG showed up on VC so Europeans, Australians and young people can now be genuinely nostalgic for him.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Like I'm not gonna argue Geno not being popular in Europe as well, but just noticable less popular than in other region like USA and Japan, du to not having the same nostalgia.
Super Mario RPG was top of the VC charts for ages so while he doesn't have the same nostalgia as other characters he does have those who really got into his game.

Plus, you underestimate the amount of people who ROM'd the game back in the day.

Source: Am European.
I think you overestimate the amount of people who ROM.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
My problem with characters like Geno and Skull Kid is I find outside of the Smash circles, there's not much hype surrounding them, as some of their popularity is due to their relationship with Smash. With a limited roster, I can't imagine their chances being high.

That being said, if we get another Smash-themed direct, I expect one of those two characters to show up in it, perhaps as the closer. I'm warming up to Skull Kid, so long as Impa is an echo to represent MM and SS respectively (though I would have preferred Young Link being reworked, instead of OoT getting two reps).

Though Loz's lost credibility, in addition to fanboying over Skull Kid, perhaps showing a huge bias towards wanting the character to be in, still gives me doubts. Geno's at a 50/50 with me--all depends on how much of a pain Square Enix was.
God, with the hours I'm up at, I always feel like the only American on this site :yoshi:
You can add me to the "American up at odd hours" list. :) EDIT: Representing East Coast.

EDIT:

We talking popular picks?

-I don’t even know what’s gonna be up for Geno at this point. Popular picks in Ultimate go two ways: Playable (Ridley, K.Rool) or promoted as AT (Bomberman, Shovel Knight)

-I was pretty shocked when I found that Waluigi wasn’t requested in Japan...at all. I don’t know if Sakurai will or has ever added solely Western requested characters since most popular picks are usually vocal in both West and East. Since he wasn’t considered in 2015 and going by the massive current outcry, I say he’s fair game for Smash 6.

-Honestly, I don’t want Dixie as an Echo, she has way too much potential for a unique moveset. If Echos are in current demand for Ultimate with her as a contender then her being original is highly unlikely. I’d just save her for Smash 6 imo.
Maybe not solely due to Western fan demand, but Sakurai specifically pointed out how Ridley was popular, particularly overseas. It may be the rule, or the exception, but he does have his eyes on what Western fans want.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Super Mario RPG was top of the VC charts for ages so while he doesn't have the same nostalgia as other characters he does have those who really got into his game.

Plus, you underestimate the amount of people who ROM'd the game back in the day.

Source: Am European.
While that is true being a fan of Mario RPG doesn't necessarily translate into being a Geno fan, or even supporting him for Smash. If that was the case, his support should have grown after the release of the game on the VC (which came after Brawl's release), instead it shrincked down with the years.

While I doubt that the fact Mario RPG never released in Europe/Australia would be a problem if he is in the roster, a character such has Geno who has nothing for him except the fan demand, not being really that requested or known in a whole continent/region might actually make him a lot less requested than we think. Ridley and KKR had huge supports here in Europe, I barely seen some for Geno. That has to be kept in mind IMO.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Side note: I remember at least three different features in Official Nintendo Magazine (back then Nintendo Official Magazine) about how great SMRPG was and how it was a shame it never came out here.

What a tease.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
We talking popular picks?

-I don’t even know what’s gonna be up for Geno at this point. Popular picks in Ultimate go two ways: Playable (Ridley, K.Rool) or promoted as AT (Bomberman, Shovel Knight)

-I was pretty shocked when I found that Waluigi wasn’t requested in Japan...at all. I don’t know if Sakurai will or has ever added solely Western requested characters since most popular picks are usually vocal in both West and East, since he wasn’t considered in 2015 and going by the massive current outcry, I say he’s fair game for Smash 6.

-Honestly, I don’t want Dixie as an Echo, she has way too much potential for a unique moveset. If Echos are in current demand for Ultimate with her as a contender then her being original is highly unlikely. I’d just save her for Smash 6 imo.

- Don’t care about Skull Kid but he can happen, he’s basically Zelda’s K.Rool in a sense if you catch my drift.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
My problem with characters like Geno and Skull Kid is I find outside of the Smash circles, there's not much hype surrounding them, as some of their popularity is due to their relationship with Smash. With a limited roster, I can't imagine their chances being high.

That being said, if we get another Smash-themed direct, I expect one of those two characters to show up in it, perhaps as the closer. I'm warming up to Skull Kid, so long as Impa is an echo to represent MM and SS respectively (though I would have preferred Young Link being reworked, instead of OoT getting two reps).

Though Loz's lost credibility, in addition to fanboying over Skull Kid, perhaps showing a huge bias towards wanting the character to be in, still gives me doubts. Geno's at a 50/50 with me--all depends on how much of a pain Square Enix was.

You can add me to the "American up at odd hours" list. :) EDIT: Representing East Coast.
I agree with Geno, but Skull Kid comes from Majora's Mask, which has become very recognisable even among casuals

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
-I was pretty shocked when I found that Waluigi wasn’t requested in Japan...at all. I don’t know if Sakurai will or has ever added solely Western requested characters since most popular picks are usually vocal in both West and East, since he wasn’t considered in 2015 and going by the massive current outcry, I say he’s fair game for Smash 6.
Yeah, having a chance in Smash 6 is what I've been thinking. Whether there will be a big cast culling or not, it would help Waluigi cheat his way in if the cast is smaller to start with there, along with the acknowledgement of his fan outcry.

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice
As an American, I'm old enough to remember my older sister playing SMRPG and wondering who that "blue clown" guy was...
not sure why but this made me burst out laughing....
anyhow one question is i sware ive seen character poles somtimes that shows different site results i think all i knwo it isnt the round wheel one,
can some one post it so i can save it unlike getting lost every millisecond
we should be all grateful this is the first non dlc (mewtwo was gonna be in 64 infact he was the the most finished one that got scrap) related smash game that has all of the smash characters along with all the scarp ones in 64

has it ever been look in the code for smash 64 if the mewtwo code is still in it?

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I have seen pepole want Fjornn from Fire Emblem Heroes and while i am not sure if she would be added to the base game i could definitely see her being a DLC Charcter - she wouldn't be another Sword Based Fighter

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Definitely true for Geno, but not for Skull Kid, he's a pretty big favorite among Zelda fans and even Aonuma himself, the imagery of the Majora's Mask itself is incredibly iconic and features in tons of merchandise, and it's one of the go-to things from the series that fans recreate in real life. Majora's Mask generally has a ton of things that are constantly referenced by the Nintendo fanbase too, like The Moon and -24 Hours Remain- pictures the day before every single Direct.

To be honest I've been surprised that his supporters haven't been more vocal until now, although I guess it corelates to how people previously perceived his chances to be low.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think Geno and Isaac and Skull kid are the new smash triforce
Is Banjo in there somewhere? Personally I'm not big into what the Smash Community majority wants, like I only want Skull Kid out of those three, but I feel like Banjo would be huge too. Do most people agree on that? On the other hand I also think Banjo is the least likely of those four.
More like a Quartet (barbershop or otherwise) with Bandanna Waddle Dee.
See I feel like Bandanna Dee is more of an assumed character for most who don't want him that bad. Like I think he really should be in, and I also assume he will be so I don't spend a lot of time thinking about him (I saw a roster the other day with him on it and I forgot that was a prediction lol).

I don't think he gets that much hype...we at least on here. In Japan I think the entire triforce is made up of Waddle Dees lol.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I agree with Geno, but Skull Kid comes from Majora's Mask, which has become very recognisable even among casuals
Definitely true for Geno, but not for Skull Kid, he's a pretty big favorite among Zelda fans and even Aonuma himself, the imagery of the Majora's Mask itself is incredibly iconic and features in tons of merchandise, and it's one of the go-to things from the series that fans recreate in real life. Majora's Mask generally has a ton of things that are constantly referenced by the Nintendo fanbase too, like The Moon and -24 Hours Remain- pictures the day before every single Direct.

To be honest I've been surprised that his supporters hasn't been more vocal until now, although I guess it corelates to how people previously perceived his chances to be low.
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound dismissive when mentioning Skull Kid. I try to keep an open mind, especially since I'm less familiar with the Zelda series (BoTW was my first Zelda game). As was said before, popularity of a title doesn't necessarily translate to popularity of a character, and likewise, popularity of a character doesn't necessarily translate to popularity to be a Smash character. It just seems like such an odd choice from an outsider's perspective.

My initial dismissal was due to not seeing Skull Kid anywhere on 2015 popularity polls--but then a friend let me know his popularity was more prevalent in the Brawl days, which diminished when he was announced as an assist for Smash 4. So I'm more open to Skull Kid, and could see how he may have a popular fanbase outside of Smash. Would be happy to see him confirmed, for his fans. :)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I hope this song plays during Goku's reveal trailer.
Yeah, Goku would be pretty cool.

Something I've been thinking about for a while.

We know Dixie Kong was going to be in Brawl as a tag team fighter with Diddy early on, and she even had data in the game. My question is when Sakurai was thinking of a semi clone to add last minute why did he chose to add Wolf instead of just finishing Dixie Kong?
My best guess is that Wolf was more heavily requested than Dixie.

D

Deleted member

There's no new Big 3 of whatever number you guys wanna call it because no one is as big as Ridley and K.Rool.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound dismissive when mentioning Skull Kid. I try to keep an open mind, especially since I'm less familiar with the Zelda series (BoTW was my first Zelda game). As was said before, popularity of a title doesn't necessarily translate to popularity of a character, and likewise, popularity of a character doesn't necessarily translate to popularity to be a Smash character. It just seems like such an odd choice from an outsider's perspective.

My initial dismissal was due to not seeing Skull Kid anywhere on 2015 popularity polls--but then a friend let me know his popularity was more prevalent in the Brawl days, which diminished when he was announced as an assist for Smash 4. So I'm more open to Skull Kid, and could see how he may have a popular fanbase outside of Smash. Would be happy to see him confirmed, for his fans. :)
Long time Zelda fan here. Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time and Skull Kid always stood out to me...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Mewtwo, Ridley, and K. Rool will always be the Smash trinity to me. Now that we have all three, I can't really guess who the next trinity would consist of. There aren't really any characters left who are almost unanimously wanted by the fans.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee

The biggest advantage Skull Kid has imo, is that MM was remade in 2015 and just like Chrom, they haven't showed Young Link's Final Smash yet and it could easily be Fierce Deity VS Skull Kid(Majora)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
There's no new Big 3 of whatever number you guys wanna call it because no one is as big as Ridley and K.Rool.
Maybe we get something all new then as a new group of most wanted? Not the "big three", just some new kind of universally agreed-upon character ensemble.

D

Deleted member

When did the Majora's Mask remake come out? Was that at a time early in Smash Ultimate's development? If so, it may have been more fresh on their minds at the time and raise Skully's chances.

Personally, the only Zelda's I ever played to completion were Wind Waker, BotW, and the first one; I never got sucked into Majora's mask, but I liked the premise behind it and Skull Kid had a cool design, so I wouldn't mind him being in.

On the topic of Geno, I grew up during the SNES era, but never even knew SMRPG existed; Final Fantasy III (6) was my jam and I'd absolutely love to see some representation there, but we already got Cloud, so I doubt we'd get two FF reps. Gonna keep my fingers crossed just in case, though.

Also...Dragon Quest is super popular in Japan, right? I'm kinda surprised we haven't gotten anything there yet. Maybe if the next couple of entries are more Japanese fan catered we'll see it. I feel like the last couple of entries (Ridley, K. Rool, Simon) were more Western picks. Maybe thats just me, though.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
When did the Majora's Mask remake come out? Was that at a time early in Smash Ultimate's development? If so, it may have been more fresh on their minds at the time and raise Skully's chances.

Personally, the only Zelda's I ever played to completion were Wind Waker, BotW, and the first one; I never got sucked into Majora's mask, but I liked the premise behind it and Skull Kid had a cool design, so I wouldn't mind him being in.

On the topic of Geno, I grew up during the SNES era, but never even knew SMRPG existed; Final Fantasy III (6) was my jam and I'd absolutely love to see some representation there, but we already got Cloud, so I doubt we'd get two FF reps. Gonna keep my fingers crossed just in case, though.

Also...Dragon Quest is super popular in Japan, right? I'm kinda surprised we haven't gotten anything there yet. Maybe if the next couple of entries are more Japanese fan catered we'll see it. I feel like the last couple of entries (Ridley, K. Rool, Simon) were more Western picks. Maybe thats just me, though.
The remake was EARLY 2015. It was most definitely before the proposal....

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hmmm

The geno thread brought up a good point on something

We never got a new Mario song in the updates yet

And the bowser trailer

Why use that song?

Wouldn’t this one be logically the one you would pick for his song

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Hmmm

And the bowser trailer

Why use that song?

That track that plays in Bowser's trailer originated from Super Mario Bros 3.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Yep. It was great timing for discussion of Skull Kid's inclusion riding off the wave of hype from Majora's Mask 3D. Now, all we can do is hope that it was enough for him to be included as a playable character this time. :)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Also perfectly in time for the ballot. Same with Hyrule Warriors which is why I expect Impa to have placed high for Zelda characters and should appear as a logical echo choice for Sakurai.

Yeah I really think getting 2 Zelda newcomers is a possibility which is a godsend after almost two decades of Link, Zelda, Ganondorf. With how well this game is treating other series that were lacking attention (Metroid, Donkey Kong) I can absolutely see this happening.

Side note I will not be happy without Dixie Kong as the series will feel incomplete, and I'm not even a Donkey Kong fan lol.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Hmmm

And the bowser trailer

Why use that song?

...Interesting consideration - which character trailers use songs that are new remixes that aren't on the site?

Mario's got a new song, but it's original so probably not going up. The only other character I know off the top of my head is Young Link, who has a new Termina Field remix we haven't seen. And now Bowser's got a SMB3 remix too.

Then again, I haven't paid close attention to the others.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

...Interesting consideration - which character trailers use songs that are new remixes that aren't on the site?

Mario's got a new song, but it's original so probably not going up. The only other character I know off the top of my head is Young Link, who has a new Termina Field remix we haven't seen. And now Bowser's got a SMB3 remix too.

Then again, I haven't paid close attention to the others.
Outside of the two already mentioned, :ultdarksamus::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultrobin:ultdiddy::ultolimar::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultridley::ultrichter: also use new arrangements that aren't on the site.

:ultdaisy: also has a new song in her trailer, but I don't recognize it so I don't know if it's remixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You know what is interesting. When it came to Smash 4, Sakurai usually says a couple of interesting things about how some newcomers came to be (Example: Explaining Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager after their reveals in E3 2013). With Smash Ultimate thus far, he's only explained Ridley's inclusion briefly in a Treehouse livestream. I wonder when we will get some concrete info about Sakurai's inclusion on certain newcomers. Maybe after release he can explain.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Outside of the two already mentioned, :ultdarksamus::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultrobin:ultdiddy::ultolimar::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultridley::ultrichter: also use new arrangements that aren't on the site.

:ultdaisy: also has a new song in her trailer, but I don't recognize it so I don't know if it's remixed.
Daisy's song is a direct port from Mario Tennis Ultra Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom