• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...its-stage-development-music-compression-more/

"– Manpower was strained because they cut the primary development team off at 100 people."

Interesting statement from Sakurai. Apparently, NE's translation is a bogus mess though.

The Source Gaming team told me they have plans to create a better translation soon.
It's way to early to jump on a brief possibly poorly translated sentence, but that comes as a surprise to me. Here I assumed work was going incredibly smoothly because of reusing so many assets, but "strained" definitely doesn't convey that.

The only reason I had hopes for an actual story mode is because of that, but now I don't think a story mode is what they would have been focusing on (apparently they were developing stages for a year?!). Much more likely we get a Melee style adventure mode, or some kind of Boss mode, which is still exciting! Interested in reading Source Gamings translation.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Honestly at this point I wouldn't call any character a 'lock'. It's all right to want a character to be in but any putting anymore stock in a character outside of simply wanting it is setting a person up for disappointment. None of the character commonly bought up in this thread are guaranteed locks in any form.

In Smash 4 Ridley and K Rool were absolute locks they had to be and were defended as such to the very end... that didn't end well. All I'm saying is keep your hype in check and be prepared to accept whatever reality comes from it.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Ridley and K. Rool getting in this game is what they call a Double Subversion on TV Tropes.

We got so used to them not being in that it caught us all by surprise when it actually happened.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't suppose anybody reads/understands Japanese fluent enough to browse their forums and see who they've been clamoring for. Sakurai's gotta cater to that audience eventually. Who's their Ridley/K. Rool?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I don't suppose anybody reads/understands Japanese fluent enough to browse their forums and see who they've been clamoring for. Sakurai's gotta cater to that audience eventually. Who's their Ridley/K. Rool?
As far as I know King K. Rool was their Ridley. It just happened to be he was popular worldwide.

Most recent polls put Bandanna Dee as their most wanted/or expected and if not that, then atleast very high on the list (top 3 at least). I'm convinced we will get a new Kirby character because of this, and Bandanna Dee makes the most sense.

Last edited:

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Honestly at this point I wouldn't call any character a 'lock'. It's all right to want a character to be in but any putting anymore stock in a character outside of simply wanting it is setting a person up for disappointment. None of the character commonly bought up in this thread are guaranteed locks in any form.

In Smash 4 Ridley and K Rool were absolute locks they had to be and were defended as such to the very end... that didn't end well. All I'm saying is keep your hype in check and be prepared to accept whatever reality comes from it.
Thank you. I think many of us fans can never be told enough. It's so easy to get sucked into hype and speculating

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
By looking at the SourceGaming data from 2015, when the Ballot was going, their Top 4 for Newcomers were King K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Inklings and Magolor. Yeah, they really love Kirby over there.
JapaneseDLC3.png

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
D

Deleted member

As far as I know King K. Rool was their Ridley. It just happened to be he was popular worldwide.

Most recent polls put Bandanna Dee as their most wanted/or expected and if not that, then atleast very high on the list (top 3 at least). I'm convinced we will get a new Kirby character because of this, and Bandanna Dee makes the most sense.
Huh. Ok then. Never really thought too much about him, but I suppose if Sakurai's team can make it a unique character, the more the merrier. I feel weird about the whole Dante thing (especially since I'm used to seeing him in MvC), but I guess I wouldn't mind him overall. Kinda want another Pokemon rep though (even though they have a lot already).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Agreed. But the Pokemon franchise is a marketing monster i'm pretty sure they won't be able to restrain themselves. If it's not Gen 7 it will be some Gen 1 (Pokemon Let's Go) or a future Gen 8 rep. as DLC.
It shouldn’t be hard for them to restrain themselves for one Smash game (sure they can’t stop with Fire Emblem, but they haven’t been around Smash since 1999 like Pikachu and gang)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

I think the only characters that can be considered "locks" are a number of specific veterans. It's very rare, if ever, that newcomers can reasonably be called "locks", imo. We've had a few no-brainers in the past, though. most recently Inklings. Even then, I'm not sure we can ever truly be fully certain.

D

Deleted member

It'd be interesting to see the full ballot results. Between the veterans returning (whom I figured would rank high on there) and the new ones added (like Inklings, K Rool, and Ridley), I feel like this game is pretty much all Ballot additions. We'll probably get the lower percentages as reveals go on, since it seems like those with the higher votes have already been revealed.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It'd be interesting to see the full ballot results. Between the veterans returning (whom I figured would rank high on there) and the new ones added (like Inklings, K Rool, and Ridley), I feel like this game is pretty much all Ballot additions. We'll probably get the lower percentages as reveals go on, since it seems like those with the higher votes have already been revealed.
I doubt that Simon or Richter did well on the ballot due to Snake getting cut and Konami's position at the time. Same with Dark Samus (due to her being an AT with no future in her own franchise).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I still think it is entriely possible for there to be more than one Pokemon.

We already got two Metroid baddies and two Belmonts.

I'm hoping on a Pokemon direct that talks both Let's Go and Smash but we'll wait and see. GF doesn't really play ball with the rest of Nintendo. Had Smash been made today, they'd have kept Pokemon out.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I'm hoping on a Pokemon direct that talks both Let's Go and Smash but we'll wait and see. GF doesn't really play ball with the rest of Nintendo. Had Smash been made today, they'd have kept Pokemon out.
Well, in both cases, one of them was an Echo.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I feel like every time a popular character is brought up someone says they are not popular in Japan. The only things people seem to think are popular in Japan are monster Hunter, dragon quest, and Ashley. I'm inclined to believe people are talking out there asses half the time this is brought up. How are people gauging this? Is there some kind of all encompasing Japan popularity poll or something? I legitimately want to know.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Same. I'm predicting Lycanroc (Relevant unique) and Blaziken (Fan-favorite, but it's a Falcon echo).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, in both cases, one of them was an Echo.
We could still get a Gen 7 Pokemon and Blaziken as a Captain Falcon Echo. (Oh, :ultgreninja:'d)

Not to mention Pokemon once got 4 unique movesets in a single game.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I feel like every time a popular character is brought up someone says they are not popular in Japan. The only things people seem to think are popular in Japan are monster Hunter, dragon quest, and Ashley. I'm inclined to believe people are talking out there ***** half the time this is brought up. How are people gauging this? Is there some kind of all encompasing Japan popularity poll or something? I legitimately want to know.
Since this game is made in Japan, people assume that because the primary audience would be the Japanese, down-playing or stating that something isn't popular there is a good way to dismiss character chances regardless of whether or not that's true. Some people did that to Donkey Kong in order to rationalise why there weren't any newcomers in Smash 4 (despite every game in the original DKC trilogy all selling over 1 million copies).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In that case, 3 of them were part of a transformation fighter that can switch between the three, meaning that they didn't take up their own roster slots.
The important thing is the dev time.

Not how difficult it was to make the CSS neat.

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel like every time a popular character is brought up someone says they are not popular in Japan. The only things people seem to think are popular in Japan are monster Hunter, dragon quest, and Ashley. I'm inclined to believe people are talking out there ***** half the time this is brought up. How are people gauging this? Is there some kind of all encompasing Japan popularity poll or something? I legitimately want to know.
Yeah, honestly at this point, I’m thinking the Japanese speculation scene takes cues from the west and vice versa, thus ending up in a pretty similar pool of wanted/expected newcomers. Sure there might be some regional differences for specific characters, but overall I feel like the options discussed are pretty on par. Some time ago I tried to search for some Japanese Smash discussion and it was all the same, from Geno and Rex and Pyra to Mincraft-Steve. Smash is essentially a Sakurai game (maybe with more ”fan voices” this time because of the ballot) which the whole globe tries to decrypt lol.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Honestly no character is a lock, that's true, but fighters like Isabelle and Shadow seem pretty close to it. Is it possible they won't be in the game? Of course. But is it likely? I'd have to doubt it, given how well the stage seems to be set for both of their potential inclusions. Judging by both the pattern of DLC Mii Fighter costumes ascending to fighters as well as us having yet to see either of them as an assist trophy, yet also having seen a new assist trophy from their series. Even totally disregarding rumors and going solely on what we 100% know, it seems incredibly likely for both of them. Ridley and K. Rool, while very, very, very wanted, didn't have those hints going for them.​

KingBroly

Smash Lord
"Compression technology is better, so while the sound quality is the same, the music takes up 1/4 the space it did in the previous title."

If compression is better, why the hell is the DK Rap still missing two verses? Music format has probably changed. I no longer have any interest in modding this game.
Matches are 2 minutes by default, so all songs are designed with that in mind

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Since this game is made in Japan, people assume that because the primary audience would be the Japanese, down-playing or stating that something isn't popular there is a good way to dismiss character chances regardless of whether or not that's true. Some people did that to Donkey Kong in order to rationalise why there weren't any newcomers in Smash 4 (despite every game in the original DKC trilogy all selling over 1 million copies).
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking. And there is really no way to guage some character's popularity in Japan without browsing Japanese forums. Like how can you tell if Geno is popular based on sales or something.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So here's a question. What's the first thing you plan to do when you finally boot up the game in December?

For me, I'll go against the bots in regular smash mode to test the new mechanics then I'll jump right into unlocking characters by whatever method they're doing it, hopefully a story mode.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Aesthetically, I'm not a fan of characters getting echoes outside of their series--also seems like a licensing nightmare, even within first party series.

D

Deleted member

Matches are 2 minutes by default, so all songs are designed with that in mind
Except for all the songs that are direct ports that exceed two minutes. Just two examples off the top of my head, the Golden Sun remix and the Fire Emblem theme are almost three minutes long. DK Rap is almost four minutes looped, but that still doesn't explain why Pollyanna got cut down to HALF it's original length, and Engage the Enemy had 20 seconds cut out for no reason, only lowering its looped time to about 2 and a half minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
idk I just think for Dixie especially having a moveset that isn't based around her hair would be pretty strange, like it's such a focal point of her character and it's her main thing that differentiates her from the other kongs in the DKC games. Having a dixie that doesn't attack with her hair, without a glide and without hair grabs wouldn't really feel like Dixie at all and just changing/altering animations can't really fix that. Plus Dixie is definitely worthy of being a unique character, she is a pretty popular character who's relevant, it's not like dark samus who's a moderately popular villain from a 10+ year old game that is canonically dead.

Idk I just think her being a diddy echo would feel like a little bit of a slap in the face and would only validate the people that call her "diddy with a ponytail", especially since she was planned to probably be unique in brawl, supporting a character who people immediately write off as a clone sucks lol
Dixie Kong hasn't really attacked or grabbed with her hair since Donkey Kong Country 3.

That said, Chrom shown that some moves can be changed, it's very likely some of Dixie's moves will be swapped with hair based ones.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So here's a question. What's the first thing you plan to do when you finally boot up the game in December?

For me, I'll go against the bots in regular smash mode to test the new mechanics then I'll jump right into unlocking characters by whatever method they're doing it, hopefully a story mode.
Unlock Inkling.

Aesthetically, I'm not a fan of characters getting echoes outside of their series--also seems like a licensing nightmare, even within first party series.
How would it be bad asthetically? Due to numbering and all does it really matter if Blaziken is between Falcon and Ness?

And how would it be hard to license?

SonicMario

Smash Master

Do whatever is the fastest method to unlock Sonic tbh heh

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Falcon's moveset is entirely original so arguably it fits Blaziken better than it fits him

Falcon Punch->Fire Punch
Raptor Boost-> Ariel Ace
Falcon Dive-> Sky Uppercut (remove grab)
Falcon Kick-> Blaze Kick

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Probably gonna play a few VS matches against my brothers to get a feel of the game, as I've done with every installment so far, likely with Samus and Jigglypuff. I'll be itching to get right to unlocking characters though, hopefully we get some way of targeting specific ones, otherwise I'll be all jittery until I unlock Ridley.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Always do a 2 minute stock match with Mario to test the games physics

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

Straight to unlocking them characters, my dude.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom