• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
do you buy into the buzzwole belief? i just cant look at that thing and imagine it on a victory screen. reminds me too much of the fly. im not really for inceneroar because i dont like the idea of another smash grappler after 4. the character will either be awful or obnoxious.
I think it's almost definitely Incineroar. The one good leaker we have hints at Incineroar, and all signs point to Incineroar IMO. Though I could be wrong, there's always a chance we get thrown off by the Pokémon pick. I think a Grappler would be fine; I personally enjoy facing grapplers like Zangief in fighting games tho TBH.

Personally I wanted Decidueye, but all the top Smash Ultimate Pokémon candidates would please me.

(Don't consider questions from yourself as a waste of time BTW, it's fine. I'm not the Smash Pope or something; that would probably be Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei TBH since he is the DEBATEMANIA I DEFENDING CHAMP )
Does that include yourself? Because I remember you poo-pooing Ridley and K. Rool for years. :p

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Okay, as one of the more prominent and more chill memebers of the isaac fanbase, i will immedately call all of this criticism absolue bull****.

(And no, i'm not talking about your opinion of Bandana dee being the most likely. I'm not gonna argue that.)

A lot of your reasons against Isaac, to me, is weak in what they are trying to convey. So let me break this down.

"Those two are about as relevent as fossil fighters."

Neither is King K Rool, or Dark Samus.

"I've played Golden Sun and from what remember Isaac who a generic anime RPG protagonist."

First off, polish your grammar.
Second off, is generic RPG protagonist really a good critique? No.

Marth, who was someone that was from a series that wasn't even brought over to the states, had literally ZERO personaility compared to the other games before him. Even in the sequel, he didn't have much in terms of personality, yet he got into smash. Which led to a huge interest in the series as whole.

And Cloud should also be called out. As a fan of Final Fantasy, i find him particually dull. The whole story revolves the characters around the player.

And that's because you're meant to take control of the MC. You're supposed to roleplay the character however you want.

Isaac doesnt have personailty, but that's because he is the protagonist of the first game. In the second game and third game, he actually does have one.

And even with RPG characters with awesome personalities like Shulk, his character gets simplified because deep personalities means jack**** in a fighting game like smash bros.

As for why we want him? It's because we want to put the spotlight on this series.

Isaac's large list of nature related spells means he can much more unique compared to a lot of other RPG protagonists. If you really want to know, Go to anyone on the Isaac thread. They'll you about what kind of moveset they want for Isaac, and it'll be different depending on the people you ask.

The thing is, i don't even care if he's playable. I just want him in the game in any fessible capacity.

Cause i love this series.

I respect your love BDD. So i hope these feelings of respect are reciprocated to the Isaac community as a whole. ^^
You could have literally just put why you liked Isaac and I would just say thank you and been on about my day. At least you actually did do that unlike the others.

Unfortunately, you still just come at me as if I’m an idiot who doesn’t understand what an opinion is. News flash genius: I said it was just an opinion in my post. I also said I’m very ignorant of the Golden Sun and Crash Bandacoot series’. WHICH IS WHY I EVEN MADE THE POST. I was just voicing my opinion, which I am allowed to have regardless of whether or not you snowflakes like it or not. I wanted people to explain why they liked Isaac, and the other two. I am open to changing my mind.

Last I checked, that is what people want: someone open to a character they aren’t exactly into. But no by all means just tell me I’m a **** with bad grammar instead.

“Fix your grammar” lol dewd it’s a forum post. Get over yourself. >.> Nice petty jab though. Glad we can be adults about having different opinions.

That’s my issue with this whole site. “This is my current opinion. Please explain why you have a different one.”

Ya’ll: “Dude shut up your opinion is bad learn to type.”

And then ya’ll act like I’m antagonizing people. I JUST WANTED TO HEAR A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE. I meant no offense by my post. It literally was just my current thoughts on the series. But please be offended by me not growing up with your characters.

Once again: Ya’ll call Daisy fans toxic. I can’t even voice a dissenting opinion without people jumping at my throat about it.

TLDR just ****ing explain why you like something. It isn’t hard. Cut the antagonistic crap just because someone doesn’t understand why you like something.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Out of curiosity, when talking about Arms... do people ACTUALLY want Spring Man, or is it something people just want because it's the most likely smash dlc inclusion from that series?

Because I honestly find Spring Man to be one of the most boring, if not THE most boring, Arms character. Min Min, Ribbon Girl and Twintelle were also all significantly more popular around the release of the game.
Spring Man would be a pretty cool and neat Smash fighter, being the Dhalsim of Smash Brothers but with blue spring pompadour.

Shroob

Sup?
That's perfectly fine as long as you don't throw a hissy fit here when that inevitably doesn't happen.

I was around for it, and have played through it which is why I am so confused. Geno doesn't really do anything in the game story wise aside from joining the party. You could almost remove his entire character from the game, and the game would nearly be the same. Which is why the want for him is so baffling to me.

Why is this the character that the community has put so much energy in. Surely it goes beyond "cool design, and everyone else is asking for him so I guess I will too"
No, that's literally how it happened.

Geno was popular in Japan during Melee, and it spilled over to the West.

Even a pebble can snowball into an avalanche if given enough time.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Every patch, someone would report that Shulk's dash attack endlag was reduced when it was only changed once.

Maybe if Nintendo had actual patch notes, things would be smoother.
This still tilts me until the end of the universe. If you don't release patch notes, you flat aren't doing your job as a post-launch dev. That isn't up for debate.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Springman has a similar problem that Ryu had.
he's completely unique compared to other Smash characters, but is really basic compared the other characters in his home series.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think it's almost definitely Incineroar. The one good leaker we have hints at Incineroar, and all signs point to Incineroar IMO. Though I could be wrong, there's always a chance we get thrown off by the Pokémon pick. I think a Grappler would be fine; I personally enjoy facing grapplers like Zangief in fighting games tho TBH.

Personally I wanted Decidueye, but all the top Smash Ultimate Pokémon candidates would please me.

(Don't consider questions from yourself as a waste of time BTW, it's fine. I'm not the Smash Pope or something; that would probably be Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei TBH since he is the DEBATEMANIA I DEFENDING CHAMP )

Well, only because Debatemania 2 hasn't happened yet.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'm pretty sure that the game balance of SMRPG has a big impact on why everyone loves Geno and everyone is pretty indifferent to Mallow. Mallow joined first and was probably a more developed character in the story which could offset how Geno was naturally cooler (though Geno really was the coolest), but then you consider that Mallow was a mediocre character in combat whereas Geno was just awesome. Seriously, he had a buff that lasted forever that made all attacks (physical, magical, or even item) done by the target do 50% more damage and all damage the target received would be cut in half. Geno also had high stats across the board and simple, high power non-elemental target all magic; I think the overwhelming majority of us who played that game as kids basically had our endgame party permanently set to Mario/Toadstool/Geno.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Even the most generic ARMS character would be an incredibly unique addition for Smash.

Spring Man being generic doesn't really apply here.
I remember when people said Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac-Man and Ryu would be "too generic." Also Diddy Kong and King Dedede.

StormC

Smash Hero
Spring-Man seems inevitable as DLC after ARMS hit 2 million units. Hopefully that leaves the door open for actually interesting characters in Smash 6.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Even the most generic ARMS character would be an incredibly unique addition for Smash.

Spring Man being generic doesn't really apply here.
"Little Mac would just be a generic character. I mean, even though Punch-Out!!! has a variety of quirky and colourful boxers brimming with personality, we get some generic young male with nothing special about him?"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Every patch, someone would report that Shulk's dash attack endlag was reduced when it was only changed once.

Maybe if Nintendo had actual patch notes, things would be smoother.
I don't understand why they have not done so with the dozen patches we got.
You'd think the community outcry would be enough for a guy to say "alright, how about we just scribble our changes in a .txt file somewhere."

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Spring-Man seems inevitable as DLC after ARMS hit 2 million units. Hopefully that leaves the door open for actually interesting characters in Smash 6.
You don't think Spring Man is interesting?

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure that the game balance of SMRPG has a big impact on why everyone loves Geno and everyone is pretty indifferent to Mallow. Mallow joined first and was probably a more developed character in the story which could offset how Geno was naturally cooler (though Geno really was the coolest), but then you consider that Mallow was a mediocre character in combat whereas Geno was just awesome. Seriously, he had a buff that lasted forever that made all attacks (physical, magical, or even item) done by the target do 50% more damage and all damage the target received would be cut in half. Geno also had high stats across the board and simple, high power non-elemental target all magic; I think the overwhelming majority of us who played that game as kids basically had our endgame party permanently set to Mario/Toadstool/Geno.
If your team isn't Mario/Bowser/Peach just go home.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Considering the ARMS dev team thinks it's too early for their characters to be represented in Smash I'm not expecting much on that front. I'd say it's more likely we get an AT rather than a character, even as DLC tbh

StormC

Smash Hero
You don't think Spring Man is interesting?
Not really, but I was mostly taking the piss. I think the other ARMS characters are much more fun and cool-looking, is all.

Same with Ryu. Now that Ryu is in and Ken is probably an echo... I can finally start the Smash character campaign I've been waiting my whole career for...

M. BISON FOR SUPER SMASH BROS. 6.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Considering the ARMS dev team thinks it's too early for their characters to be represented in Smash I'm not expecting much on that front. I'd say it's more likely we get an AT rather than a character, even as DLC tbh
Eh, they wanted to see if the IP would be a success.

ARMS then proceeded to sell 2 million copies. It's proven to be an IP with power and will definitely have a sequel down the line.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
between my blabbing with vaanrose vaanrose about echo's, and me fueling more fire in the BWD discussion, this has been quite a day already. Whoops.

I would not include more Kirby characters at all. I think Kirby/Meta Knight/King Dedede do a very good job of fully handling that series on their own. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick someone though, I'd go with Ado. She's not really important, but man, that could be an awesome moveset.

View attachment 158727
Abilities: Attacks with paintbrush as blunt weapon, able to paint arbitrary objects, animals, and monsters and make them material and alive, known to own rollerskates.
I was more curious to see of what you thought of other unique ideas, i.e., Ado, Daroach, Marx, Magolor, when playing the comparison game. I thought your design stuff with Waddle Dee compared to other Spear users over Nintendo's history was interesting.

Though, if you don't care enough on Kirby, I could understand lol.

Greninja was literally unveiled when Pokemon X/Y was only out for five months, and the next set of fully new Pokemon games would not come out until another three years later, and a full 2.5 years after Greninja's Smash debut. By comparison, assuming the Gen 7 Pokemon newcomer is shown in November, the generation will already be two years old at that point, and in one year's time, be outdated (Gen 8 is being released in 2019). For Lucario, Diamond/Pearl was only a year old when Brawl was released in Japan.

I wonder if Sakurai or the Pokemon Company have the foresight to see that any Gen 7 Pokemon would be unable to sell copies of Sun/Moon or Ultra Sun/Moon on a rapidly dying platform (3DS). Even notable big 3DS titles like Kirby Battle Royale and WarioWare Gold massively underperformed relative to other games in their respective series. The 3DS only has one year of life left in it at most, and all Nintendo themselves have publically planned for the console are ports (Luigi's Mansion and Bowser's Inside Story).

That being said I fully expect Incineroar as one of the few remaining non-echo newcomers in Ultimate. He might even be confirmed in a month's time if Sakurai decides to unveil one of Ultimate's remaining non-echo newcomers in the likely September Nintendo Direct.
We could think of it in a reverse way: By the time Smash Wii U and 3DS came out, ORAS was released, and Gen 6 was done with new games. By the time Smash Ultimate comes out, it'll be the same thing with Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee being the last remake in Gen 7.

That said, I think they'll do a Gen 8 as DLC, at worst. I'd be shocked if they didn't.

I've played SMRPG before a lot of people on this site were even born and I still don't fully buy into the Geno hype, although Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa try as he might, sold me on him a little bit more earlier today... but just a bit.
!!!

I'll take it! :)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If we do that, honestly, Bandanna Dee stands really well.
Bandanna Dee is just as close to Brawl era contemporaries (Ike, Lucario, Lucas) as characters introduced in 2017 (ARMS crew and Rex & Pyrra). Bandanna Dee is in a weird limbo, where is not a relic from the 2000's like Isaac or Skull Kid, or 90's like Geno. Bandanna Dee made his mark in the early 2010's, and has since only continued to have important integral roles in his series (as opposed to being a one-off like many other Kirby characters).

His big stand out role was Return to Dream Land which was a massive sales hit in Japan. When I was investigating Japanese popularity during the pre-Smash 4 days (2012-2014), this is how it went:

S:
Mewtwo
Roy

A:
Mega Man

B:
K. Rool
Bandanna Dee

C:
Infrequent mentions for various things.

Bandanna Dee has only become more popular since his debut in 2011, and there have been various official polls done by Japanese publications that show that he could very well be the most wanted newcomer at this point among the Japanese side to the fanbase. Waddle Dee's in general are a big money seller in general, and probably the most popular thing about Kirby aside from the titual pink puff himself in Japan.

Bandanna Dee would certainly be an easy character for Sakurai's team to model (probably among the simplest). However, it is very debatable on how Sakurai himself personally feels about Bandanna Dee. He could very well see only Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede as the only critical characters to the franchise, especially considering how:
1. Bandanna Dee appeared in no form whatsoever in both versions of Smash 4 (but then again, neither did any Golden Sun character even with the 3DS version pulling models for trophies from DS and 3DS titles).
2. Bandanna Dee did not become an integral character until after Sakurai had retired from the series (which was with Air Ride).

I feel Bandanna Dee's Japanese popularity is what might provide him a boost that might get him into the roster. What is particularly suspicious though is that Sakurai added in Chef Kawasaki as the new Assist Trophy for Kirby when Bandanna Dee was a perfectly viable candidate for the role (newcomer Assist Trophies in Ultimate have been shown to possess multiple attacks, which makes Bandanna Dee viable for the role).

This makes me think that Bandanna Dee might have been at least be under consideration for a playable slot, whether on the base roster or as DLC. Time will tell what happens with Bandanna Dee. Personally, I would be surprised if he does not end up having some sort of important role (whether as an Assist Trophy, or as being part of either the base roster or DLC).

Like characters like Isabelle, he may not be above the likes of Isaac or Geno among the people who live on forums, but among the public (especially on the Japanese side of things), he is among the most recognizable faces not yet playable in Smash Bros.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I know I LITERALLY just posted about some Black Knight speculation, but someone commented on my video about how they believe Isaac is playable due to the website being updated for Golden Sun or something??
Here:

Link to his link:
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-DS/Golden-Sun-Dark-Dawn-270902.html

Is this common news? Or something actually interesting? Or is this meaningless?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I personally like Spring-Man more than Ribbon Girl, I think she's the most generic looking of the ARMS bunch. The guy has really wacky hair and his color scheme pops out a bit better. Obviously, someone like Barq and Byte, Master Mummy or Dr. Coyle are more unique, that tends to happen with side characters in games like that.

As for Black Knight, I don't know if he's in, but he'd be one of the few Fire Emblem characters I'd give a **** about. He's a cool character and, more importantly, he looks sick. I'd hope that his Alondite's Fire Effect was a Dark Red to contrast with Ike's Blue Fire. Since that's how it was depicted in Path of Radience. Though in Radiant Dawn, both Alondite and Ragnell had the Blue Fire.

D

Deleted member

I know I LITERALLY just posted about some Black Knight speculation, but someone commented on my videos about how they believe Isaac is playable due to the website being updated for Golden Sun or something??
Here:

Link to his link:
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-DS/Golden-Sun-Dark-Dawn-270902.html

Is this common news? Or something actually interesting? Or is this meaningless?
It's been known for a while. It's not just the Dark Dawn site, it was a few others as well. Just seems like maintenance.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Even if there's no substantial ARMS content in the base game, I hope we got some of the songs.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Damn, now I wonder if Gharnef support actually exists. I think he'd be an actually good addition and not make people hate FE as much.
My issue with a playable Gharnef is that if Gharnef were to actually be balanced in Smash, he simply wouldn't be Gharnef any longer.

There's no way he'd get into Smash without his signature tome, Imhullu. The issue is Imhullu makes its user impervious to literally everything except for the Starlight tome. It isn't even like a Ganondorf thing where it's the person itself; it's the signature ability of Gharnef's signature weapon.

With how much respect Sakurai has for Fire Emblem, I can't see him making Gharnef playable because it would fly in the face of why Gharnef is notable to begin with.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of the Black Knight, I wonder how many more people would be opposed to him if they knew the truth about him.
BlackKnightScoobyDoo.png
I put far more effort into this dumb meme then it was worth.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I think Nintendo doesn't release patch notes because they don't want to deal with backlash from the types of players who aren't competitive etc.. "We've improved the balance" makes everyone who never figures out what is different happy. "We nerfed Cloud's dtilt" makes Cloud players unhappy and makes all the armchair devs go "dtilt wasn't the problem; why didn't you nerf dair!". The competitive scene will find a way to make their own patch notes anyway so it won't affect high level play; it's basically just avoiding criticism by avoiding information spread to lower level players. Whether this is right or not we could certainly discuss, but it's probably the smart play for them not to release notes.

If your team isn't Mario/Bowser/Peach just go home.
Not to go off topic, but mechanically Bowser is the worst character. His net stats when you include the equipment he can actually use are just worse than everyone else's, and he has by far the worst (and smallest) pool of magic of anyone. I totally understand wanting to use him because he's cool and has awesome animations, but like I said before, Geno is just the coolest so if you're using Bowser for being cool it has to be over Toadstool. Young me definitely struggled with the decision of whether to have the coolest possible party (Mario/Bowser/Geno) or the best possible party (Mario/Toadstool/Geno) before deciding that not having a healer sucked and I was playing to win. You could say it was an early moment that set me up for my Smash career!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
All i'm going to say is this. I've been toying with saying this or not, but I'm just gonna say it for the reality check.

Prior to Smash Ultimate being revealed, this website said:

- Ashley was one of the most likely newcomers
- Mimikyu was a better and more obvious choice than Decidueye and Incineroar
- There would be cuts
- There'd only be a few reveals of veterans AND
newcomers
- Snake had no chance of coming back
- Waluigi was the most likely Mario "rep"

Very few people, disagreed with at least a few of these things. Every single one of them turned out to be wrong. This website, and several others, were taken aback because they were wrong about just about everything.

In between E3 and August 8th:

- Echo Fighters aren't going to be a huge thing/focus
- The Ballot is only going to be for a few characters, not most
- 3rd Party franchises might not get Echo Fighters
- Mimikyu wouldn't be a Pokeball
- Ashley couldn't possibly be an Assist Trophy

Once again, major websites and the Smash character speculation community were proven very wrong.

Folks, my point is this. Smash after Smash, Direct after Direct, we get stuff wrong. After the August Direct, 2 characters that I know for a fact had a MASSIVE fan-following on sites like 4chan, Smashboards, GameFAQS, or Resetera got disconfirmed.

I thought they were likely? Guess they weren't. There is nothing...NOTHING different about what everyone keeps saying about Bandanna Waddle Dee. Yeah he's got fans. He can do stuff with a spear. Ashley had fans and could do stuff with magic because she was a witch. Mimikyu was popular and could do stuff because he's a Pokemon. Sure enough, the speculation community at large was wrong.

This is certainly not to say that I think Bandanna Waddle Dee is impossible, as I can see him happening. I'm impressed that fans are sticking to their guns, and I think that's a good thing to be honest.

I think what we need to realize though, is that the wants of the Smash fanbase on sites like this one and others is not necessarily similar to that of the casual crowd or fans who don’t use this site but love Smash.

This game isn’t just for Smashboards. It’s catered to everybody. I’m already noticing past mistakes repeating themselves in that supporters of various characters quickly become condescending toward people who disagree on either likelihood or interest of characters like Ashley and Bandanna Waddle Dee.

I don’t really care if BWD is in, granted i’m not really a fan of the idea. But the reaction of some people here has been...surprising. But, if you wanted an example of an echo chamber, that’s how they work. If you surround yourself with like-opinions, you won’t see differing ones as often, giving an inaccurate representation of popularity/reality of a given situation. When we see something we don’t agree with in a situation like this, we may consider it ridiculous. It’s not just Smash that this happens with, it’s everywhere.

Just like Smash 4 in which fans were over the moon expecting Ridley, K.Rool, and others...which lead them to be wrong despite them holding on for the whole ride, the same has happened this time. For the die hard, hopefully it works out. But there’s potential for certain wants to not be met, and that’s a reality that this website, and others, needs to at least entertain.
I agree with the points you said BUT...

The ones I bolded, I don’t remember many people or anyone saying that Mimikyu was not going to be a pokeball and definitely not them saying that it would be better than Decidueye.

Now, unless if you’re talking about all of Smash Speculation, I agree, Waluigi was everywhere, but not on the boards.
———————————————————
Heard people saying talking about the newcomers we got in the direct to prove we may get a lot more newcomers than likely.

Let’s put it like this... we have only 4 NEWCOMERS
(:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool:). Echoes don’t count because they’re copy and past clones without their own number. The character count stops at King K. Rool who is character 67 which is only two more than E3. That’s the number to be looking for.

Anyways, I’m still stocking with my current prediction as it hasn’t really changed after the recent events. I more or less always had a hunch that the ballot would be mostly used here because A) There aren’t a lot of characters from the Wii U/3DS era to choose from with only up to three more characters from that era, and B) It’s basically a money bringer and lives up to the Ultimate name.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I remember when people said Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac-Man and Ryu would be "too generic." Also Diddy Kong and King Dedede.
Lol. Ryu is one thing(even though I disagree), But how in the hell would anyone think Villager, Mega Man and Little Mac could be generic?

If these people knew anything about Boxing, they'd know it's an unique fighting style with many variations. Since Little Mac's game is about that, his moveset writes itself, and no one else is a true boxer in the game.

Mega Man, you just need to play his games to get an idea of how he could fight.

Villager being a peaceful...well villager isn't exactly common in fighting games.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not to go off topic, but mechanically Bowser is the worst character. His net stats when you include the equipment he can actually use are just worse than everyone else's, and he has by far the worst (and smallest) pool of magic of anyone. I totally understand wanting to use him because he's cool and has awesome animations, but like I said before, Geno is just the coolest so if you're using Bowser for being cool it has to be over Toadstool. Young me definitely struggled with the decision of whether to have the coolest possible party (Mario/Bowser/Geno) or the best possible party (Mario/Toadstool/Geno) before deciding that not having a healer sucked and I was playing to win. You could say it was an early moment that set me up for my Smash career!
Bowser is the coolest and that's all that really matters. SMRPG is piss easy anyway.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Alright I don't know who said it, but its time for me to Weigh in.

Why do people think Bandanna dee is generic?

I'm gonna start with this overview of his moveset that shows the best usage:

mild spoilers for Star allies though:

First since I have to say, who else is using the spear? That's right no other candidate. It's not required for him to use a unique weapon but it helps him stand out and is part of his appeal.

Second, Bandanna dee has been around for a long time. He's used throwing stars, could use the beam easily, and his signature weapon the spear. Oh and let's not forget this:

The place it all began, megaton punch, where Dee was a rival and able to deliver a lightening fast karate chop, breaking stone pillars. Let's not also forget Kirby can hit a ****ing meteor with a baseball bat in this. Something they honestly could pull as Dee was in super star.

Also unlike Kirby, Bandanna Dee's bandanna is not the fighting one, so he could do this with his bare hands.

Easily that can be in his moveset.

Now moving on. Let's say the beam gets involved. That's an easy and kick ass aerial right now. He could backflip into the air launch a fully charged blast from the beam and be pretty scary to see.

Recovery? He's got something pretty sweet in that department. The spear Copter. Able to fly with it, he could plow through enemies too if they really wanted. Making Bandanna Dee having a scary moveset as any move could be completely different and would require a lot of tech.

Alright now to the main event how would his spears stand out? His standard attack with be the rapid fire of the spears working like Marth's dancing blade but able to launch Dee forward. If Sakurai really wanted he could also have a dash based on the katanna strike from Kirby. Yes that's a different powerup but it wouldn't be a stretch for a spear to work similarly.

As you can see in the video there's also the triple spear launch. Being able to control its angle and spread would be pretty big with competitive play imo. And I imagine bandanna dee being one of the fastest characters making his moves flashy and quick.

Final Smash?

As the commander of Dedede's Army he summons the rest of the troops as they launch a barrage of attacks. Dee then comes in with the finisher, the aforementioned MEGATON PUNCH!

With a moveset capability, the tech he could have, the speed he would play, and his role in Kirby games, can you really say Dee would be generic? He's far from it and would easily appeal to people with a flashy trailer showing off such a diverse and powerful moveset as well as gaining fans of his hyped and peaking the interest of others.

But that's my take. I never got the goomba with a hat philosophy. Its so flawed and makes it sound like a person has never played Kirby before. People just need to look at the history and Sakurai, and they'll know he can do some amazing things with such a fantastic character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think Nintendo doesn't release patch notes because they don't want to deal with backlash from the types of players who aren't competitive etc.. "We've improved the balance" makes everyone who never figures out what is different happy. "We nerfed Cloud's dtilt" makes Cloud players unhappy and makes all the armchair devs go "dtilt wasn't the problem; why didn't you nerf dair!". The competitive scene will find a way to make their own patch notes anyway so it won't affect high level play; it's basically just avoiding criticism by avoiding information spread to lower level players. Whether this is right or not we could certainly discuss, but it's probably the smart play for them not to release notes.
But that doesn't make any sense.
Competitive players wouldn't even READ competitive patch notes to begin with.
Not releasing the patch notes just delays the correct information from coming out, causes more misinformation, and gives them more backlash.

That Cloud player is still gonna be pissed his main got nerfed (and honestly, who gives a ****, that's how balancing is always going to go) and now the armchair devs are going to squabble on information that might not even be real on top of the inevitable real info.

It's lose-lose-lose.
Losing all around.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Not really, but I was mostly taking the piss. I think the other ARMS characters are much more fun and cool-looking, is all.

Same with Ryu. Now that Ryu is in and Ken is probably an echo... I can finally start the Smash character campaign I've been waiting my whole career for...

M. BISON FOR SUPER SMASH BROS. 6.
let's start our campaign to get nintendo to buy capcom!

Counter-argument: Splatoon.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I got one for geno

mattx20 pointed this out

Check this out

Now let’s recall back to the vifram figure Sakurai bought shall we

I think you would use a action figure to do poses like that and also the gun since geno has lack of beam gun

Now watch this video

https://youtu.be/Qwszwb3aIPg

Go to 1:05

https://youtu.be/ouFJY59lBx4

If you compare geno has a recoil as well

For bonus points you got 6 out of 8 palette swaps right there

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There is zero chance we get 15 unique moveset newcomers for the 2nd game in a row. We are at 4 with 3 1/2 months until launch. No way Sakurai is unveiling 12 in that span in addition to like a near equal number of Echo Fighters.

Even the DBZ Budokai Tencaichi games had mostly just clones to reach that roster size.
Personally, I think the small number of months left allows for hype to rise and continue strongly. We could see a multitude of newcomers revealed through out the weeks as the release is closer, or we could a heavy batch of newcomers revealed every month like this month's direct. I would not use small things like remaining months, six roster spot arrangements, and Smashdown slot numbers to estimate the total number of newcomers.

My point is you were listing examples of the Smash community saying "XYZ can't happen," when a lot of things you have been adamant about not happening regarding Sakurai and Smash have come to pass.
Yup, I was a flawed speculator back then in Smash 4 speculation. Though, I grown to be more careful and thoughtful of my predictions lately with heavy research, opening up to numerous kinds of newcomers now like K. Rool and Ridley for me to be willing to bank them.

Everyone has their expectations checked now and then. Perhaps even your current lofty ones.

Just something to keep in mind.
That's perfectly fine as long as you don't throw a hissy fit here when that inevitably doesn't happen.
I may be bold and risky about my predictions, but I am also firmly prepared to be wrong on multiple things.

Even when researching a ton about Smash for my predictions, I am bound to get a few newcomers wrong at some point during this Ultimate hype cycle that will cause temporary negative phases. I will be fine. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom