• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You’re basically saying that because you don’t find Bandana Waddle Dee a hype inclusion, that no one else does either. That’s a phenomenally ignorant opinion; you can go practically anywhere Smash discussion is being held and find requests for the character. Here’s two examples:

1. PushDustIn’s Japanese Smash 4 ballot survey, based off of 1,000 posts:

View attachment 158700

2. /r/smashbros’ Smash Switch newcomer wishlist prior to E3:

View attachment 158701

Bandana Waddle Dee is by far one of the most popular characters not yet confirmed, up there with Geno and Isaac. Just because you don’t like the character doesn’t mean the character isn’t well-liked.
I never mentioned myself other than to say my opinion on who I want or don't want doesn't matter compared to the masses. You seem unable to differentiate an "analysis" from a "general opinion." This is my analysis of the character's odds and appeals to the masses, not my general and personal opinion. My general opinion is quite a bit better of the character. If you are unable to break that down, then you don't really understand how debate works in speculation. It's done by explaining ones' analysis, not trying to "dunk" on someone by misreading what they said because you are emotional and try and harvest likes and "prove" you are right. No, it is about explaining how you see a situation or subject, and it requires respect and an understanding of what the other person(s) are posting.

As for your general statement you can go anywhere with Smash discussion and find him mentioned... I don't really see it on Twitter. I don't see it in Facebook. Those are the two biggest social media sites, and Waddle Dee is overshadowed by SEVERAL characters. Has been for years. And most Bandanna Dee requests I see are in post chains on Twitter with numerous characters people want, not just one. And trust me, I read A LOTTTTTTTT of Smash Twitter.

As for your polls... Let's break down your polls:

First poll: Roughly ~1,000 posts, no mention of users so probably under 1,000. Probably ~5 million people in Japan own Smash 4. That's a reallllllllllllllly small sample size; not enough to treat like a Bible of information like say a CNN Poll. It's a sample of a small audience, and how do we know what audience is it. We don't know the general age range, sex/gender ratios, median/mode income, etc. We don't know the demographic other than they are supposedly all from Japanese posts on a few websites. To call it a "poll" is misleading; it is more like a documentation of postings found (God I paid too much attention in media classes in college).

Second poll: First is Waluigi, second is Shovel Knight (both were never gonna happen; Waluigi fans were sadly outnumbered by awful annoy and oftentimes harassing memers, and Shovel Knight's demand was very very tiny)... I rest my case. /r/smashbros is OMEGALUL. /r/smashbros users post to pat themselves on the back to prove themselves right.

And again, you aren't talking about hype, you're talking about polls of super small niche fanbases. While yes the PushDustIn poll gives us a glimpse, the /r/smashbros poll does not, flat out.

Bandanna Dee's popularity on this site and GameFAQs and /r/smashbros can't be denied yes, but I'm not talking about those sites. I'm talking general hype, what gets the masses excited. What we say on these sites is generally worthless (the exception being is if we impact the masses, ala the hype for Sonic, Mega Man, K. Rool, Ridley and Geno).

Inklings, Ridley, Simon and Richter Belmont and K. Rool did that easily. The hype was immense for all of them. Dark Samus and Chrom got a huge amount of hype. Even Daisy got huge hype.

I don't see a waddle dee with a spear and a piece of clothing on its' head getting the masses hyped or having the "WTF? that's crazy and cool" effect (like Wii Fit Trainer, ROB, Game & Watch, etc). I don't see Waddle Dee as some megastar missing character.

When I think of characters that bring hype to the masses, I think of either characters people have wanted for over a decade (Geno, Ridley, K. Rool), instantly recognizable characters (Skull Kid, Dark Samus, Simon Belmont) or actual giant stars, like *insert Pokémon here*, Sora, Heihachi Mishima, Ken, Shadow, Isabelle, Spring Man, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo, etc.

I don't really seeing the masses having any such gravitation towards the character. Sorry if you don't like my analysis, of the situation, but that's my analysis of it. I've been doing it for nearly 2 decades, and my analysis is usually p good if I do say so myself, because I separate my wants (RIP any hope of Crono ever) from my ability to analyze a situation based on marketing and what kind of characters the masses (aka people who don't post 20k times on 1 specific forum like I do) want.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Banjo didn't report on bottles' family about his death… I don't think he will do it again if someone died in his reveal trailer… he would just move on with his life as usual, lmao

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Crono would be the greatest character to ever be in Smash Bros ever, and also finally put the best Super Nintendo game ever in Smash.

But sadly it will never happen.

RIP the impossible dream, we dreamed it good.
On the bright side, if Geno got in, people would finally turn their attention to Crono.

Too many Bandanas!?

There are too many Fists in Smash!!
:ultbayonetta::ultfalcon::ultdk::ultdoc::ultganondorf::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultryu::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultwario:
Careful, or you might give Seth Killian a heart attack, these people are too punchy. :p

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I never mentioned myself other than to say my opinion on who I want or don't want doesn't matter compared to the masses. You seem unable to differentiate an "analysis" from a "general opinion." This is my analysis of the character's odds and appeals to the masses, not my general and personal opinion. My general opinion is quite a bit better of the character. If you are unable to break that down, then you don't really understand how debate works in speculation.

As for your general statement you can go anywhere with Smash discussion and find him mentioned... I don't really see it on Twitter. I don't see it in Facebook. Those are the two biggest social media sites, and Waddle Dee is overshadowed by SEVERAL characters. Has been for years. And most Bandanna Dee requests I see are in post chains on Twitter with numerous characters people want, not just one.

First poll: Roughly ~1,000 posts, no mention of users so probably under 1,000. Probably ~5 million people in Japan own Smash 4. That's a reallllllllllllllly small sample size; not enough to treat like a Bible of information like say a CNN Poll.

Second poll: First is Waluigi, second is Shovel Knight (both were never gonna happen; Waluigi fans were sadly outnumbered by awful annoy and oftentimes harassing memers, and Shovel Knight's demand was very very tiny)... I rest my case. /r/smashbros is OMEGALUL. That place is actually worse than GameFAQs for opinions. I laugh so hard at their analysis of competitive Smash lmao, and their speculation posts are even worse. You don't go to /r/smashbros for anything but to get a headache from all the awfulness.

And again, you aren't talking about hype, you're talking about polls of super small niche fanbases. While yes the PushDustIn poll gives us a glimpse, the /r/smashbros poll does not. /r/smashbros users post to pat themselves on the back to prove themselves right.

Bandanna Dee's popularity on this site and GameFAQs and /r/smashbros can't be denied yes, but I'm not talking about those sites. I'm talking general hype, what gets the masses excited.

Inklings, Ridley, Simon and Richter Belmont and K. Rool did that easily. The hype was immense for all of them. Dark Samus and Chrom got a huge amount of hype. Even Daisy got huge hype.

I don't see a waddle dee with a spear and a piece of clothing on its' head getting the masses hyped or having the "WTF? that's crazy and cool" effect (like Wii Fit Trainer, ROB, Game & Watch, etc). I don't see Waddle Dee as some megastar missing character.

When I think of characters that bring hype to the masses, I think of either characters people have wanted for over a decade (Geno, Ridley, K. Rool), instantly recognizable characters (Skull Kid, Dark Samus, Simon Belmont) or actual giant stars, like *insert Pokémon here*, Sora, Heihachi Mishima, Ken, Shadow, Isabelle, Spring Man, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo, etc.

I don't really seeing the masses having any such gravitation towards the character. Sorry if you don't like my analysis, of the situation, but that's my analysis of it. I've been doing it for nearly 2 decades, and my analysis is usually p good if I do say so myself, because I separate my wants (RIP any hope of Crono ever) from my ability to analyze a situation based on marketing and what kind of characters the masses (aka people who don't post 20k times on 1 specific forum like I do) want.
The online smash fanbase definitely operates on an echo chamber. There are several characters that are hotly discussed in here and forums everywhere that the average player of the game probably doesn't care about. The internet community is several, several times smaller than the actual player base and absolutely does not represent what the average layman would probably be interested or even aware of. It is extremely important to keep this in mind.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
On the bright side, if Geno got in, people would finally turn their attention to Crono.

Careful, or you might give Seth Killian a heart attack, these people are too punchy. :p
I think you're forgetting about

VqYZ5ma.jpg

Get him next in Smash

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Shouldda voted for him. As someone who grew bored of Chrono Trigger quickly, I wouldn't be hype for me but I wouldn't complain personally
I voted for Crono in the Smash Ballot, in addition to several other characters (Ridley, K. Rool, Snake, Wolf, Simon Belmont, amongst others).

The problem is his popularity just never "stuck" with the Smash fanbase. A damn shame, because he would be LEGENDARY in Smash, and Chrono Trigger is one of the best games ever made.
Crono ain't ever happening, sorry folks.

I would die if he was playable though. All this game needs is Dixie and Crono and it has literally every Super Nintendo All-Star playable.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The online smash fanbase definitely operates on an echo chamber. There are several characters that are hotly discussed in here and forums everywhere that the average player of the game probably doesn't care about. The internet community is several, several times smaller than the actual player base and absolutely does not represent what the average layman would probably be interested or even aware of. It is extremely important to keep this in mind.
You aren't wrong at all, but I think that the average layman is not who this game's roster is geared towards. We have Ridley, we have K. Rool, we have Simon Belmont! All characters that find most of their support on the online fanbase. I think it's clear this installment has been geared towards people who really care about Nintendo and the Smash Bros. series, and I think it shows in everything we know thus far.​

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
I never mentioned myself other than to say my opinion on who I want or don't want doesn't matter compared to the masses. You seem unable to differentiate an "analysis" from a "general opinion." This is my analysis of the character's odds and appeals to the masses, not my general and personal opinion. My general opinion is quite a bit better of the character. If you are unable to break that down, then you don't really understand how debate works in speculation.

As for your general statement you can go anywhere with Smash discussion and find him mentioned... I don't really see it on Twitter. I don't see it in Facebook. Those are the two biggest social media sites, and Waddle Dee is overshadowed by SEVERAL characters. Has been for years. And most Bandanna Dee requests I see are in post chains on Twitter with numerous characters people want, not just one.

First poll: Roughly ~1,000 posts, no mention of users so probably under 1,000. Probably ~5 million people in Japan own Smash 4. That's a reallllllllllllllly small sample size; not enough to treat like a Bible of information like say a CNN Poll.

Second poll: First is Waluigi, second is Shovel Knight (both were never gonna happen; Waluigi fans were sadly outnumbered by awful annoy and oftentimes harassing memers, and Shovel Knight's demand was very very tiny)... I rest my case. /r/smashbros is OMEGALUL. That place is actually worse than GameFAQs for opinions. I laugh so hard at their analysis of competitive Smash lmao, and their speculation posts are even worse. You don't go to /r/smashbros for anything but to get a headache from all the awfulness.

And again, you aren't talking about hype, you're talking about polls of super small niche fanbases. While yes the PushDustIn poll gives us a glimpse, the /r/smashbros poll does not. /r/smashbros users post to pat themselves on the back to prove themselves right.

Bandanna Dee's popularity on this site and GameFAQs and /r/smashbros can't be denied yes, but I'm not talking about those sites. I'm talking general hype, what gets the masses excited.

Bro you can't just rag on /r/smashbros for having wack opinions when you're being the king of wack right now. "yea this character, he's really popular I know but I really don't think he will be as hype as other characters of equal popularity because I don't think he will and the people I follow on twitter don't talk about him". Also weren't you the one who told me not to explain smash speculation to you? If he has a ton of popularity on reddit, gamefaqs, smashoards, and pretty much everywhere except maybe 4chan; A lot of casuals want him and he was heavily requested in the smash ballot; and he is a recent relevant character from a very popular and well liked series worldwide... what exactly are you talking about?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You aren't wrong at all, but I think that the average layman is not who this game's roster is geared towards. We have Ridley, we have K. Rool, we have Simon Belmont! All characters that find most of their support on the online fanbase. I think it's clear this installment has been geared towards people who really care about Nintendo and the Smash Bros. series, and I think it shows in everything we know thus far.​
Plus we're not exactly in the "layman" era of Nintendo anymore. At least not since the Wii U killed that era dead.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This is pretty much my entire point. Unless we see our Echo Chambers impact the masses like we saw with the K. Rool demand (Ridley demand largely stemmed from the Melee opening TBH), then our opinions just solely exist in an Echo Chamber.

You got to step out of your shoes and look at what general Smash fans want. and you gotta sometimes reach a reality that sometimes opinions you have are unknown to the masses (like that Crono would be the greatest Smash newcomer ever for me personally).

I take a bit of what I hear from general Smash fans, people at major Smash tournaments, people at events, people I know who aren't that into Smash say and consider that when I think of my analysis as to which character or characters will or won't happen.

I can't just look at what I want and say "that will happen." Otherwise, I would be basically another one of those indistinguishable rampant overbearing and overly self-important fanboys who get banned from these boards!!! :laugh:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Haha.

Guys there should be a special smash called Barefoot Smash where all the characters who have shoes on take them off. And then when the match is over you can zoom in to see how dirty their feet got.

Haha.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Haha.

Guys there should be a special smash called Barefoot Smash where all the characters who have shoes on take them off. And then when the match is over you can zoom in to see how dirty their feet got.

Haha.
I don't want to ever see Sonic barefoot…

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Sooooo...How about that Ray? He'd be another cool robot man.

:ultrob::ultmegaman:Could use a couple more of those. :ultmegaman::ultrob:

And Fulgore ain't happening because the fools here prefer Banjo.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Yoshimitsu is legit one of my most wanted characters, even though I know it won’t happen. He could have a costume for both Tekken and Soul Caliber
I wouldn't mind Yoshimitsu. I prefer Taki, Talim, Mitsurugi, or Seong Mi-Na before him, but I'd settle with any Soul Calibur character, if it meant getting the best Soul Calibur song in existence. It's pretty much Soul Calibur's Fountain of Dreams in terms of music.
- Bandana Waddle Dee is a Goomba with a hat
- There's not too much FE fighters
- Waluigi

Choose your controversial topic.
I choose to talk about Amaterasu and her moveset :)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Haha.

Haha.
Get this degenerate outta here.

You Need To Be STOPPED.jpg

justPUNT3R

Smash Apprentice
Haha.

Haha.
If we’re going to talk about special smash modes, can we have our ideas make sense?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Haha.

Haha.
The funny thing is that this template is used for feet fetishists but it originally came from Yoshi scat fetishists.

Fact of the day.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Bandana Dee's cool, but I won't lose sleep if he isn't in.
Haha.

Haha.
image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom