• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
But what makes Bowsers design lazy? Bandana Dee is literally a goomba with a hat.
What makes Bowser Jr.'s design lazy (which is who I was talking about initially) is that he straight-up reuses Baby Bowser's design, with nothing added to him except a bandanna and a paintbrush.

Sound familiar?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
A lot of people have wanted Ridley, K. Rool and Simon Belmont for over a decade to the point where it became very vocal on the internet for years; all 3 of them were huge stars in the 90's and were in some amazing games that have stood the test of time. Inklings immediately after the Splatoon reveal trailer have been a lock for the next Smash game and were absolutely a huge hit. Imagine the reaction of the average fan going from Inklings to Ridley to Simon and Richter Belmont to K. Rool...

...to a Waddle Dee with a spear. I just don't see people getting hyped about it past a few Kirby fans.

I think the Bandanna Dee fans are deluding themselves into thinking the character is guaranteed or think he "got over" or he's really popular. He's simply not at that level. Bandanna Dee would be the least hyped up original moveset newcomer in Smash Bros I can think of... by a wide, wide margin.

For these reasons alone, I don't see Bandanna Dee happening any time soon, and are also why I never saw Bandanna Dee as a serious candidate in Smash 4 or Brawl.

Last edited:

Remmy-ro

Smash Cadet
Anyone else want Masterpieces back? I thought they were fun to kill time in. I'd just wish they extended the amount of time available for certain games. Also, I don't know how likely it'd be as then we'd get people clamoring for a Virtual Console.
Do I want blatant virtual console advertisements in my smash game? No thanks

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
But what makes Bowsers design lazy? Bandana Dee is literally a goomba with a hat.
Sound not different from me than Yoshi being only distinct by colors, yet, he got in the first Smash without problem.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Considering Smash Ultimate is gonna be hyped as *** in these remaining 3 months now, I wouldn't consider a reveal at Gamescom like something impossible. And yes, we've gotten character reveals for Nintendo games at gamescom before, for example Lola Pop for Arms the 22nd of August 2017, as a latest example. So i think it's totally possible. Of course we gotta be ready for no announcements, but heck, so we were with EVO.
Normally I would say you are crazy expecting anything at Gamescon, but after the E3 announcement of the Smash Direct, I think it's more probable than not.

It will probably be just a general Nintendo Direct; I wouldn't rule out an announcement of a "one and done" trailer like what we got with Robin/Lucina and Shulk in Smash 4 though.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Is this a language thing? When I say "As a character" I mean their, you know, character. Personality. Every generic Toad is the same as the others. Bandana Dee is not the same as the others, stated to be courageous, in comparison to the harmless Waddle Dees who occasionally get frightened just by seeing Kirby. If this was Captain Toad and not every regular *** Toad I'd be inclined to agree as 'Treasure hunter' is more than the regular cowardly Toads
I'm assuming that Bandana Dee is a character incidentally. Kirby Returns to Dreamland needed a player 4. They chose a Waddle Dee because those are a staple to the Kirby franchise. But they probably wanted the playable Waddle Dee to stand out from the other Waddle Dees that you will be killing in the game. So they gave him the bandana from that Superstar minigame to be distinguishable from the others.

The reason they never needed to do that with any playable Toad is because none of the enemies in the game aren't also Toads. So they could just keep him a regular Toad.

Think about it. It makes sense. That's why in Kirby 64 they just used a regular old Waddle Dee as another side character because there weren't any other Waddle Dees in the game.

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
A lot of people have wanted Ridley, K. Rool and Simon Belmont for over a decade to the point where it became very vocal on the internet for years; all 3 of them were huge stars in the 90's and were in some amazing games that have stood the test of time. Inklings immediately after the Splatoon reveal trailer have been a lock for the next Smash game and were absolutely a huge hit. Imagine the reaction of the average fan going from Inklings to Ridley to Simon and Richter Belmont to K. Rool...

...to a Waddle Dee with a spear. I just don't see people getting hyped about it past a few Kirby fans.

I think the Bandanna Dee fans are deluding themselves into thinking the character is guaranteed or think he "got over" or he's really popular. He's simply not at that level. Bandanna Dee would be the least hyped up original moveset newcomer in Smash Bros I can think of... by a wide, wide margin.

For these reasons alone, I don't see Bandanna Dee happening any time soon, and are also why I never saw Bandanna Dee as a serious candidate in Smash 4 or Brawl.
He’s one of most, if not the most, requested character in Japan and is one of the most popular in the West. I’d like him. His inclusion would complete the Kirby series

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
That's actually a pretty good render. If he makes it in, I wouldn't mind if he looked something like that.

Honestly, if nothing happens by late October, nothing's gonna happen at all regarding leaks IMO. We're kinda too late in the game now, I think. The only thing that might happen is if someone gets an early copy in November, but even then it won't matter because we're gonna see the design for every fighter before release. I personally don't think they're gonna wait that long to show what's left off, so yeah, I think we might just go unspoiled this go around. Exciting stuff!
It is good, but there is one glaring flaw compared to his official renders. His hands are too small.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So I posted my predictions roster, so I'm going to slowly post trailer ideas.

Let's start with Tails and Shadow.

We start with Sonic and Duck Hunt( just the dog, our duck friend is missing) in Green Hills Zone after Eggman. They get halfway through when all of a sudden sonic is hit at lighting speed and knocked backed. We see a figure slowly ascend as

"Shadow (teleports behind you) phases in"

Sonic: Shadow we are kind of busy here!"

Shadow: Save it faker! Its time to finish this!

Meanwhile duck hunt dog is confused as to why two sonic's are here. Being the good boy he is, he tries to help but gets blown back by Shadow. Duck Hunt falls off a cliff when all of a sudden a red flash zooms by and saves Duck Hunt.

???: Don't forget about me Sonic! We're in this together!

We see the plane rise up with Duck Hunt safely secured as Sonic beats Shadow. The trio now moves towards the end of the stage where they see Eggman

Eggman: "I'll get you next time sonic and your blasted dog too!"

Eggman flies away(confirmation as a boss to follow)

and the trailer ends with the dog saving the duck from Eggman's device as Sonic, Tails, and Duck Hunt do a victory pose for the Act clear.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member

He’s one of most, if not the most, requested character in Japan and is one of the most popular in the West. I’d like him. His inclusion would complete the Kirby series
...Until later on when it is made "incomplete" again by some other character not being in.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Being bold or brave isn't really a personality or even much of a character trait though. At least not on it's own. I mean Luigi can be brave and courageous but he also can be cowardly and scared.

But then again most Nintendo characters don't get fully fleshed out personalities so I suppose I'll allow it?

I just wouldn't say Bandana Dee has a personality based off the mere fact that he's shown to be brave.

Oh and cause you know he has a bandana on his head and holds a spear unlike the others.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Considering Smash Ultimate is gonna be hyped as *** in these remaining 3 months now, I wouldn't consider a reveal at Gamescom like something impossible. And yes, we've gotten character reveals for Nintendo games at gamescom before, for example Lola Pop for Arms the 22nd of August 2017, as a latest example. So i think it's totally possible. Of course we gotta be ready for no announcements, but heck, so we were with EVO.

Hm. Let's prepare to have no announcement. That way we could be even more surprised.

Nope, the latest Kirby game sakurai has referenced was Triple Deluxe where there were 2 pieces of music from that game. It was also the last Kirby game to come out before the end of smash 4 DLC.

However Sakurai has also had many references to Return to Dreamland in trophies, music, and also Kirby's final smash being the ultra sword. While there still isn't a kirby stage based from a game that came out after after the original super star, he is easing up on the bias.
Hm. The Return to the dreamland stuff is pretty neat. Gotta have taken a bit of effort.

But the music? Naw. I didn't counting the new music from golden sun as representation, and i ain't doing the same for this.

As for Capcom, Breath of Fire is pretty much killed and replaced by Monster Hunter.
i'm still salty about Dragon Quarter.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm assuming that Bandana Dee is a character incidentally. Kirby Returns to Dreamland needed a player 4. They chose a Waddle Dee because those are a staple to the Kirby franchise. But they probably wanted the playable Waddle Dee to stand out from the other Waddle Dees that you will be killing in the game. So they gave him the bandana from that Superstar minigame to be distinguishable from the others.

The reason they never needed to do that with any playable Toad is because none of the enemies in the game aren't also Toads. So they could just keep him a regular Toad.

Think about it. It makes sense. That's why in Kirby 64 they just used a regular old Waddle Dee as another side character because there weren't any other Waddle Dees in the game.
The factors of how a character came to be a character has absolutely no bearing on the popularity or characterization of a character there forth. Diddy Kong was originally created because Rare wanted to find a better way of representing a health bar than just a literal bar, Sonic's Rings, or Mario's Power-Ups.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

The reason they never needed to do that with any playable Toad is because none of the enemies in the game aren't also Toads. So they could just keep him a Toad.

The pause text screens give background for playable characters, in Bandana Dee's first playable appearance, it says "Everybody's favourite idol" which implies popularity made him the choice for the playable character, as Kirby fans liked the little guy in the Revenge to the King mode from Super Star Ultra. He's also playable in Kirby Battle Royale. Also what does this have to do with how again, AS A CHARACTER. Bandana Dee is courageous and dreams of becoming strong in the name of his king who he has utmost loyalty for. Regular Waddle Dees just mind their own business, are rather cowardly at times, goof off andenjoy taking naps. Toads are generic Toads who are almost exclusively cowardly

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice

I think the Bandanna Dee fans are deluding themselves into thinking the character is guaranteed or think he "got over" or he's really popular. He's simply not at that level.

Bandanna Dee would be the least hyped up original moveset newcomer in Smash Bros I can think of... by a wide, wide margin. Like, the least hyped original moveset newcomer I can think of in Smash 4 on the base game was maybe Shulk, but the Shulk hype was popping. For Smash 4 DLC it was Corrin and Lucas, but both had a lot of super positive reactions (and Fire Emblem has since gone on to get HUGE in the subsequent years). For Brawl it was probably ROB, but even then there were a lot of fans of ROB (especially thanks to Mario Kart DS). For Melee it was Marth and the Ice Climbers, but both almost immediately garnered huge followings (and Marth is one of the true icons of the series).

I mean if him quite literally being one of the most requested newcomer in Japan for the last 5 years as well as his large following globally doesn't make you think he is popular than I don't know what you'd consider to be popular at this point. By that logic I don't see Geno getting in to the game because only a very niche older audience would really know who he is and the average fan wouldn't really give a damn, same with Isaac. A lot of BWD supporters are "silent majority" type where there are a lot of them, but they aren't too active in discussions online or social media. They most likely all voted for him in the ballot, but don't really feel the need to debate people online about his inclusion.

D

Deleted member

Also i swear people are downplaying Bandanna Dee's Appeal, have you seen how much requested he is in Japa-wait a second.

I have seen pepole on Gamefaqs discuss canoically who is the strongest Smash Charcter who is playable and i am like...it's totally Simon and Ritcher:

https://vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/Simon_Belmont
>Simon is Tier 2 Category.

>According to this wiki, Tier 2 features characters that at the very least are "capable of creating or destroying a 4-dimensional universal spacetime continuum, and at the most large 5-dimensional structures".

>Other characters featured on Tier 2 are Sailor Moon, Rick Sanchez, Homura Akemi, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Spongebob Squarepants.

..............i........don't think that's reliable.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Even worse than that is playing multiplayer with a friend sharing a joycon and playing Smash on that small screen together. Imagine 8-Player Smash!

This but six more people!
Excuse me what the **** is that Stand they put the Switch on?
Is that an actual product?

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

I think the Bandanna Dee fans are deluding themselves into thinking the character is guaranteed or think he "got over" or he's really popular. He's simply not at that level.

Bandanna Dee would be the least hyped up original moveset newcomer in Smash Bros I can think of... by a wide, wide margin. Like, the least hyped original moveset newcomer I can think of in Smash 4 on the base game was maybe Shulk, but the Shulk hype was popping. For Smash 4 DLC it was Corrin and Lucas, but both had a lot of super positive reactions (and Fire Emblem has since gone on to get HUGE in the subsequent years). For Brawl it was probably ROB, but even then there were a lot of fans of ROB (especially thanks to Mario Kart DS). For Melee it was Marth and the Ice Climbers, but both almost immediately garnered huge followings (and Marth is one of the true icons of the series).

You’re basically saying that because you don’t find Bandana Waddle Dee a hype inclusion, that no one else does either. That’s a phenomenally ignorant opinion; you can go practically anywhere Smash discussion is being held and find requests for the character. Here’s two examples:

1. PushDustIn’s Japanese Smash 4 ballot survey, based off of 1,000 posts:

B080DD64-4E92-4CCB-8DD0-32B9FADF48B4.png

2. /r/smashbros’ Smash Switch newcomer wishlist prior to E3:

D767A0A1-CF92-47F1-8618-28FDC6AA343F.png

Bandana Waddle Dee is by far one of the most popular characters not yet confirmed, up there with Geno and Isaac. Just because you don’t like the character doesn’t mean the character isn’t well-liked.

D

Deleted member

- Bandana Waddle Dee is a Goomba with a hat
- There's not too much FE fighters
- Waluigi

Choose your controversial topic.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
What makes Bowser Jr.'s design lazy (which is who I was talking about initially) is that he straight-up reuses Baby Bowser's design, with nothing added to him except a bandanna and a paintbrush.

Sound familiar?
But Baby Bowser no longer exists and he was just the baby version of an iconic villain. Bandana Dee coexists with regular Waddle Dees and Waddle Dees are generic enemies, not the main antagonists that even people who don’t play video games can recognize

If Bowser Jr was just a normal Koopa with the mustache bandana you’d have a point but he isn’t. He looks nothing like the regular koopa enemies

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
You’re basically saying that because you don’t find Bandana Waddle Dee a hype inclusion, that no one else does either. That’s a phenomenally ignorant opinion; you can go practically anywhere Smash discussion is being held and find requests for the character. Here’s two examples:

1. PushDustIn’s Japanese Smash 4 ballot survey, based off of 1,000 posts:

View attachment 158700

2. /r/smashbros’ Smash Switch newcomer wishlist prior to E3:

View attachment 158701

Bandana Waddle Dee is by far one of the most popular characters not yet confirmed, up there with Geno and Isaac. Just because you don’t like the character doesn’t mean the character isn’t well-liked.
I was waiting for this. Its bout time people realize that toad has absolutely no change against bandanna dee.

Not to mention the only toad getting in would be the captain and he's a stage element so rip toad.

Bandanna eclipses the captain at everything( potential, relevancy, popularity, etc) and this is coming from a big captain toad fan.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As someone who remembers Servbot and Sentinel in MvC2, Mars People in SvC Chaos, and that Poison and Hugo started out as generic Final Fight enemies, "he's just a generic enemy with a hat" is no valid argument for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

- Waluigi

We could always argue about Pokemon again. That's always a good time. Or discuss Isabelle and Shadow. Or whether or not Loz and Verge are real.

Or we could start doing Jojo memes again. Those are always a good time.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
You have a source on that Japan thing?

You guys are gonna be super happy. One of the largest gaming magazines in Japan had 2 Smash polls; Who is the most desired character, and who is the most expected character. Note: This poll was taken before the direct

The most desired Smash characters in all of Japan are

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Rex
3. Spring Man
4. Mimikyu (rip)
5. Jibanyan

The most expected characters are

1.Rex
2. Bandana Waddle Dee (the poll goes out of it's way to state that Dee's placement comes from the sheer desire from fans to see him in)
3. Spring Man
4. King K. Rool
5. Sora

When people say that Bandana Dee wouldn't be hype, just remember that he's basically Ridley x10 in Japan's Smash community.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
The fans who showed up to Kirby during the Wii onward era, newcomers and existing fans alike, thought Waddle Dee was cool and should be playable in Smash, and they were around for the ballot. That's really all that matters.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I wonder if Sakurai has thought about throwing in characters from what Smash 64 was originally going to be: Dragon King. If he added a character from his original idea, it would be the first Smash only playable character that would promote the history of Smash alone.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just went to the French website, and good lord they seem to have fudged up Dark Pit's name translation. Shouldn't "Maléfique" be more fitting for Dark Samus instead? Dark Pit isn't even that evil.

- Waluigi

I'd still take talking about Pokémon over these.

i'm still salty about Dragon Quarter.
The actual last game was on mobile phones. Was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom