• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He’s one of most, if not the most, requested character in Japan and is one of the most popular in the West. I’d like him. His inclusion would complete the Kirby series
Your opinion and my opinion mean nothing compared to the masses. Bandanna Dee is not a harbinger of hype. And most people on message boards are just the same couple of hundred people posting over and over again. That's why a lot of these online polls give fake positives and are unreliable.
I mean if him quite literally being one of the most requested newcomer in Japan for the last 5 years as well as his large following globally doesn't make you think he is popular than I don't know what you'd consider to be popular at this point. By that logic I don't see Geno getting in to the game because only a very niche older audience would really know who he is and the average fan wouldn't really give a damn, same with Isaac. A lot of BWD supporters are "silent majority" type where there are a lot of them, but they aren't too active in discussions online or social media. They most likely all voted for him in the ballot, but don't really feel the need to debate people online about his inclusion.
You're explaining speculation to someone who has done this since before Melee came out. And again, I don't trust these ballots; they only cover niche isolated fanbases usually. There's been no indication that Bandanna Dee has a massively popular fanbase or long-term staying power, especially since Bandanna Dee is treated a lot like Blue Toads in New Super Mario Bros games.

And again, the fanbase is not vocal. Just look at what characters you are comparing Bandanna Dee to.

You got D1 (who probably has more Twitter followers than every single Bandanna Dee fan put together) screaming for Geno amongst other top Smash community members. Geno even got a Mii Fighter outfit as a result and Sakurai openly admitted he wanted to add him in Brawl. Geno's fanbase has constantly caught fire and has been all over social media for years. It is truly a different phenomenon.

Then you got people have been asking for Isaac for 17 years consistently and Sakurai blatantly teasing Isaac, including again quite a few top Smash Bros competitive community folks. Isaac was also an Assist Trophy character (which was curiously missing in Smash 4) and we've gotten a new song from the series in both Brawl and Smash 4.

Waddle Dee hasn't gotten any such similar treatment.

And again, these are fanbases that have been active for twice as long as the Bandanna Dee fanbase and quite louder. To compare it is just silly at this point, especially since the Ultimate dev team is specifically adding characters people have requested for a long-time.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
SwitchButton post
Alright, so neither of these are accurate, as neither of these asked for desired characters, and the second one has incorrect data compiled by someone who doesn't speak Japanese.

edit: it sure is hard to quote a post that doesn't have content outside of quotes

Last edited:

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
I'd say the most damning evidence for Bandanna Waddle Dee is all the bandanna'd fighters we have in smash now. :ultike::ultroy::ultryu::ultrichter::ultsnake: at this rate we're bound to get the DEE ;)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The pause text screens give background for playable characters, in Bandana Dee's first playable appearance, it says "Everybody's favourite idol" which implies popularity made him the choice for the playable character, as Kirby fans liked the little guy in the Revenge to the King mode from Super Star Ultra. He's also playable in Kirby Battle Royale. Also what does this have to do with how again, AS A CHARACTER. Bandana Dee is courageous and dreams of becoming strong in the name of his king who he has utmost loyalty for. Regular Waddle Dees just mind their own business, are rather cowardly at times, goof off andenjoy taking naps. Toads are generic Toads who are almost exclusively cowardly
My argument is that Bandana Dee wouldn't need to be a distinguishable character if it weren't for the fact that Waddle Dees are also an enemy. Nintendo didn't bother to make a single distict Toad for years because ethey didn't need to. And that doesn't make them less valuable. Toads join Mario on adventures all the time. They are only portrayed as cowardly when Mario needs something to rescue. They are extremely versatile and used for a variety of roles.

You gotta understand to a game developer, all these characters are mostlt chess pieces. They serve a purpose to the game and their identity doesn't mean much until marketing comes in. So you shouting "AS A CHARACTER" means nothing. Toad is important to Nintendo because he is recognizable, marketable, and easy to impliment in a variety of gameplay roles. If Waddle Dees could do that on their own, you bet HAL would just do that. But they can't so they made an easy new player 4.

You gotta get rid of that mindset that if you are not a unique individual character you are not important to the series. Pikachu is not any particular Pikachu in Smash. He's just a Pikachu. But that doesn't mean he's not the most important and iconic Pokemon ever.

Last edited:

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Sakurai has thought about throwing in characters from what Smash 64 was originally going to be: Dragon King. If he added a character from his original idea, it would be the first Smash only playable character that would promote the history of Smash alone.
I try to avoid absolutes, but I am 100% sure he has not thought of that and isn't going to do that.

D

Deleted member

I'd say the most damning evidence for Bandanna Waddle Dee is all the bandanna'd fighters we have in smash now. :ultike::ultroy::ultryu::ultrichter::ultsnake: at this rate we're bound to get the DEE ;)
"THERE ARE TOO MANY GODDAMN BANDANNAS IN SMASH!"

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You all talking about Bandannas but you forget the one we deserve the most to be included…
latest.png

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Your opinion and my opinion mean nothing compared to the masses. Bandanna Dee is not a harbinger of hype. And most people on message boards are just the same couple of hundred people posting over and over again. That's why a lot of these online polls give fake positives and are unreliable.

You're explaining speculation to someone who has done this since before Melee came out. And again, I don't trust these ballots; they only cover niche isolated fanbases usually. There's been no indication that Bandanna Dee has a massively popular fanbase or long-term staying power, especially since Bandanna Dee is treated a lot like Blue Toads in New Super Mario Bros games.

And again, the fanbase is not vocal. Just look at what characters you are comparing Bandanna Dee to.

You got D1 (who probably has more Twitter followers than every single Bandanna Dee fan put together) screaming for Geno amongst other top Smash community members. Geno even got a Mii Fighter outfit as a result and Sakurai openly admitted he wanted to add him in Brawl. Geno's fanbase has constantly caught fire and has been all over social media for years. It is truly a different phenomenon.

Then you got people have been asking for Isaac for 17 years consistently and Sakurai blatantly teasing Isaac, including again quite a few top Smash Bros competitive community folks. Isaac was also an Assist Trophy character (which was curiously missing in Smash 4) and we've gotten a new song from the series in both Brawl and Smash 4.

Waddle Dee hasn't gotten any such similar treatment.

And again, these are fanbases that have been active for twice as long as the Bandanna Dee fanbase and quite louder. To compare it is just silly at this point, especially since the Ultimate dev team is specifically adding characters people have requested for a long-time.
You're acting like we can't get Bandana Dee and your precious nobodies. But I'd definitely argue that Bandana Dee is the most popular of the 3 you mentioned. BD, Geno, and Issac have about equal support on "hardcore" sites, but Bandana Dee also probably has a lot of casuals that support him too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
...Why would they add Trunks before Goku?

And yes, I know who that is.
What are you talking about that's a skirt not a pair of trunks
And Advanced Wars: 2 Black Hole Rising still manages to beat it's ***.

I'd even say days of ruin manages to take a **** all over it.

Pleb
How can a corpse beat anything?

This joke is starting to go on a bit too long

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You all talking about Bandannas but you forget the one we deserve the most to be included…
View attachment 158705
Crono would be the greatest character to ever be in Smash Bros ever, and also finally put the best Super Nintendo game ever in Smash.

But sadly it will never happen.

RIP the impossible dream, we dreamed it good.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Don't know if this has been brought up here but the Knight (who was thought to be the Black Knight) in the background of Castle Siege has seemingly changed to a more Generic Red Knight

Could just be the upscaling/reworking changing it but, it is curious considering the advent of Echoes and the BK being trained by the same teacher as Ike.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Crono would be the greatest character to ever be in Smash Bros ever, and also finally put the best Super Nintendo game ever in Smash.

But sadly it will never happen.

RIP the impossible dream, we dreamed it good.
Shouldda voted for him. As someone who grew bored of Chrono Trigger quickly, I wouldn't be hype for me but I wouldn't complain personally

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So the current rumor is that Ken's playable? I would prefer Chun-Li, but Ken makes sense since he'd be easier to make. If it's true, no complaints from me.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Sakurai should replace all the characters with Fire Emblem ones

Fire Emblem is the only good Nintendo series anyways (Excluding Smash obviously)
And the only reason Smash is even remotely good is because it has so much Fire Emblem!
Fire emblem deserved to die like a stray dog.

But now it's a corpse being paraded around by Intelligent Systems.
Oh come on now, the writing has gone down hill big time but there's still some good things that have come from modern FE.
Conquest may have been the lowest point in terms of story telling, but it's easily FE's highest point in terms of map design.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

How can Fire emblem beat anything?

Oh come on now, the writing has gone down hill big time but there's still some good things that have come from modern FE.
Conquest may have been the lowest point in terms of story telling, but it's easily FE's highest point in terms of map design.
No, Revelations is.

The lowest point, i mean.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So the current rumor is that Ken's playable? I would prefer Chun-Li, but Ken makes sense since he'd be easier to make. If it's true, no complaints from me.
Yeah, alongside Ayumi, Incineroar, Geno, Shadow, and Isabelle.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
BK being trained by the same teacher as Ike.
...you mean Ike's dad.

I'd be fully down with an echo of Black Knight for Ike though. It'd be the last Fire Emblem echo though hopefully.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Don't know if this has been brought up here but the Knight (who was thought to be the Black Knight) in the background of Castle Siege has seemingly changed to a more Generic Red Knight

Could just be the upscaling/reworking changing it but, it is curious considering the advent of Echoes and the BK being trained by the same teacher as Ike.
BUT THAT'S ALWAYS BEEN NOT THE BLACK KNIGHT

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
What are you talking about that's a skirt not a pair of trunks

I won’t? Make a zombie reference here...? Maybe?

But damn, that was savage, Gwen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom