• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Bro you can't just rag on /r/smashbros for having wack opinions when you're being the king of wack right now. "yea this character, he's really popular I know but I really don't think he will be as hype as other characters of equal popularity because I don't think he will and the people I follow on twitter don't talk about him". Also weren't you the one who told me not to explain smash speculation to you? If he has a ton of popularity on reddit, gamefaqs, smashoards, and pretty much everywhere except maybe 4chan; A lot of casuals want him and he was heavily requested in the smash ballot; and he is a recent relevant character from a very popular and well liked series worldwide... what exactly are you talking about?
Smash Twitter is bigger than /r/smashbros, SmashBoards, 4chan and GameFAQs' Smash Ultimate fanbases put together.

There's a reason top Smashers stopped posting on SmashBoards and other sites. I'm basing things off my analysis of a thing I have analyzed for almost 2 decades, you are basing a lot of what you are saying on comments like...

"A lot of casuals want him and he was heavily requested in the smash ballot"

Which you have no documented proof of and provided no examples of other than referring back to these sites lamenting as Echo Chambers. We also don't know much about the Ballot other than Bayonetta "won" it, all the newcomers in Ultimate did well on it, and that Sakurai and the dev team are relying a lot on it for player data (rather than reading our polls, data or opinions on sites like this solely).

"and he is a recent relevant character"

Also, what does "relevant" even mean? Does that mean more than 10 people know of and like a character? 100? 10 million? Where is the cutoff point? Words like these should be used after your main point, not as your main point.

"from a very popular and well liked series worldwide..."

We don't play as series, we play as characters. Stop talking about the series for a second and tell me why the masses, not /r/smashbros, not what people in Echo Chambers on 4chan (who even visits that site with a sane mind?), GameFAQs, or SmashBoards want.

Captain Toad is from a well-liked series and has had a game and a port of the game that sold over a million combined copies, yet there he is, disconfirmed. Was he not well liked? Why was he not included for such reasons?

The subjectivity of these things is what makes them so interesting and unique to decipher.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Maybe to try and steer the conversation a little bit away from that garbage, I had thought of something. Basically a modified classic mode that goes on forever, starting at the easiest difficulty and getting harder and harder as you progress, up to and beyond the maximum classic difficulty.​

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I mean tbf it can't be that tiny if he actually ended up appearing in the game, otherwise we'd have a lot more third party ATs
I mean it was relatively tiny (that wasn't a knock on them, just a fact), but it was loud AF, which is a key reason Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy character.

Shovel Knight was never gonna be playable in Ultimate, but I gotta give credit where credit is due: Shovel Knight fans made him a huge name. That's the kind of fanbase push that eventually makes characters playable in Smash, and turns notable video game characters into stars. You gotta appreciate that dedication, and they might get the results they want in time.

The Shovel Knight fanbase reminds me a lot of the Geno movement in a lot of regards actually. It is rather endearing too.

(also reminds me I need to play Shovel Knight lol. I've owned it for like 2 or 3 years on Steam and never touched it lol)

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Lol, I don't think Dark Samus is more recognizable than Bandana Dee. Kirby is pretty big, but relatively casual and more focused in japan, compared to how quiet the fanbase is.

And the only reason Geno isn't a wtf pick is his weird smash popularity.

Dan

Smash Lord
You know what pisses me off? Here I am, a lazy Sunday surfing Smashboards; the perfect day for a Direct, but no, you have to drop them dead in the middle of the week when everyone's working.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anywho, I think I'm gonna write up a list of music I want added to Smash. I'll post it here when I'm done.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind Yoshimitsu. I prefer Taki, Talim, Mitsurugi, or Seong Mi-Na before him, but I'd settle with any Soul Calibur character, if it meant getting the best Soul Calibur song in existence. It's pretty much Soul Calibur's Fountain of Dreams in terms of music.

I choose to talk about Amaterasu and her moveset :)
I'll take any Soul Caliber content, I really want to see Link have a rematch with Nightmare, but I just can't see the series getting any content before Tekken does.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know what pisses me off? Here I am, a lazy Sunday surfing Smashboards; the perfect day for a Direct, but no, you have to drop them dead in the middle of the week when everyone's working.
Dan you realize it was made to accomodate for Japanese viewers, not American viewers, right? That's why it was early in the morning for Westerners.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
But but we never get Directs on weekends...

and do you really expect one so soon? Give it another two weeks and we can start speculating.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Waddle Dee isn't someone I feel too strongly about one way or another.

I think if he had an actual name people would be more open to being in. Call em Tyrone or something.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why would you tell someone to do this
Damn, I think these feet memes just created the Smash Ultimate version of "Melee Hell."

I'm scurred.
If we’re going to talk about special smash modes, can we have our ideas make sense?
I mean let's be real, foot fetishes are really popular.

Dan

Smash Lord
But but we never get Directs on weekends...

and do you really expect one so soon? Give it another two weeks and we can start speculating.
No, I'm not expecting one soon, but I'm thinking how I have all the time in the world on a day like today and last time it was a madhouse me trying to come home and catch up on all the information.

Just a point for the future.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
There's a reason top Smashers stopped posting on SmashBoards and other sites. I'm basing things off my analysis of a thing I have analyzed for almost 2 decades, you are basing a lot of what you are saying on comments like...
I got on the internet when I was 13, damn son.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I have never felt stronger towards Kirby. I've barely played any of the games. I've played a bit but not enough to make me remember what. I think there was a Puyo Puyo Kirby game I liked as a kid that I played a lot.

justPUNT3R

Smash Apprentice
No, I'm not expecting one soon, but I'm thinking how I have all the time in the world on a day like today and last time it was a madhouse me trying to come home and catch up on all the information.

Just a point for the future.
I’m not expecting a Nintendo direct until October.

Also I think we are done with the foot thing now, thank god...

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I don't want to ever see Sonic barefoot…
It’s not that bad, actually. Sonic himself has never been seen without shoes on (in canon artworks) but characters like Tails and Amy have in Sonic Adventure promotional art. Big and Tikal are always wearing sandals so their feet are always visible and there’s a tall wolf in Tails’ Skypatrol who doesn’t wear shoes.

They have no toes:

cothero

Smash Lord
Guys, Vergeben hinting it or not, Ken is totally happening. He's the major representation of a clone character in general gaming, so if Ritcher is in, Ken is ABSOLUTELY in the game too.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Bandana Dee's cool, but I won't lose sleep if he isn't in.
My opinion in a nutshell too and I wouldn't be surprised if he was shafted for other characters.

Also, I've said this hot take before ( StormC StormC can come crucify me or w/e) but, in terms of characters, even though I do like Waddle Dee, there's a lot of other Kirby characters (and even Echo's) that I would definitely prefer.

The deep irony is
If Waddle Dee played how I'd expect him to, I'd probably use him as one of my mains

D

Deleted member

It’s not that bad, actually. Sonic himself has never been seen without shoes on (in canon artworks) but characters like Tails and Amy have in Sonic Adventure promotional art. Big and Tikal are always wearing sandals so their feet are always visible and there’s a tall wolf in Tails’ Skypatrol who doesn’t wear shoes.

They have no toes:
The lack of toes is kinda creepy.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I swear Banjo was called a irrelevant and niche character before and now he's on the level of crash bandicoot and sora? If we use relevancy as an argument can we at least agree who qualifies as "relevant" or not.

StormC

Smash Hero
Expect Bandana Dee to be THE character of Smash 6 speculation if he isn’t in this game. His fanbase gets bigger every year and HAL has no intentions of dropping him from his role any time soon.

Hopefully he’s in this game and that’s that.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Does anyone have a clue how long it'd take to make Echoes? I mean, obviously nowhere near the amount of work a full character has, but I'd imagine model work would still take some time, and someone like Dark Samus has a lot more animation changes than say, Dark Pit.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
There should be a Special Smash where one player is bigger and if they win they get to OKAYI’LLSTOP

Seriously, I was thinking when applying Special Smash properties you should be able to do it to each player individually. That way you can make your own event matches, like Mario and Luigi vs. Giant Bowser, or recreate the old Metal Mario fight. I’ve always thought one-sided Special Smash would be cool.

Oh and Meta Crystal should be in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I swear Banjo was called a irrelevant and niche character before and now he's on the level of crash bandicoot and sora? If we use relevancy as an argument can we at least agree who qualifies as "relevant" or not.
Relevant is whatever the person arguing wants it to be. Every character is simultaneously relevant and irrelevant.

justPUNT3R

Smash Apprentice
There should be a Special Smash where one player is bigger and if they win they get to OKAYI’LLSTOP

Seriously, I was thinking when applying Special Smash properties you should be able to do it to each player individually. That way you can make your own event matches, like Mario and Luigi vs. Giant Bowser, or recreate the old Metal Mario fight.
That doesn’t seem likely (at all) to me, but heck yeah, that would be awesome.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bandana Waddle Dee is one of the most popular character requests in Japan.

He definitely has a large fanbase.

If he's denied for any reason, it will be due to Sakurai.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Relevant is someone who has appeared in the past couple of years during the Smash plan.

Elma, Lycanroc or Incineroar, and an RH Rep are examples of relevant characters who weren’t around during the ballot, with Rex and Pyra and Spring Man tagging along much later.

Though with how little characters were around during that time, it seems Sakurai went to opt for the popular characters people have been asking for.

Shroob

Sup?
Guys, Vergeben hinting it or not, Ken is totally happening. He's the major representation of a clone character in general gaming, so if Ritcher is in, Ken is ABSOLUTELY in the game too.
I don't think a cause and effect applies here.

Even if Richter is in the game, that doesn't mean that Ken is guaranteed(Though hearing Vergeben say he's in is definitely a nice feeling, I like Ken)

justPUNT3R

Smash Apprentice
Relevant is whatever the person arguing wants it to be. Every character is simultaneously relevant and irrelevant.
I had no idea who Marth and Pit were when I first played smash bros. So they were “irrelevant” to me. Being relevant and irrelevant is mostly something that varies from person to person.

Except characters like Cool Spot or whatever his name was. Who actually remembers him?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I wonder what would be his tagline … Ken echoes in (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom