• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So uh,

Simon Belmont's fair has armor. It's an armored, angle-able, long-reaching forward air. That's one hell of a move.
Sure, but he just got hit by Icies' down-B. I wouldn't imagine it would have a whole ton of armor. That would be busted.

Goddammit, you give a move that doesn't need armor armor but my boi only has it for his double jump?!!
Every single time you shoehorn Yoshi into a conversation, it just makes my newly founded hatred for him burn brighter.

It’s also possible the end of the freeze blast doesn’t cause any knockback or flinching
That is also a possibility. I doubt Simon's fair has any meaningful amount of armor, really.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Wow, I know very little about DK, but is K. Rool really that much of an ***hole? I always though he was along the lines of Bowser and Dedede in terms of how evil he is.
He is. First he steals the entirety of the Kong banana horde. They’re carnivores, so it was just a **** move. They invade the island while K. Rool makes his way over on a ship. He gets his ass whooped. Then, he kidnaps DK to lure Diddy and Dixie to his own island full of ambushes. Then he kidnaps both DK and Diddy to do the same to Dixie. In 64, he is just preparing to destroy the whole island.

He’s an ass just to be so. He doesn’t care about much more than causing problems and getting revenge.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
How would you rate the playable villains from least evil to most evil? I don’t know too much about Wolf or the DK games backgrounds, so forgive me if those characters are out of place.

:ultmewtwo:: Guy just wants to be left alone. Leave him alone! Dangerous but not evil.
:ultdarkpit:: Is a villain for like three seconds. He’s just Pit but he speaks his mind.
:ultmetaknight:: Is just Kirby but slightly edgy.
:ultbowserjr:: Is a brat, but is also probably very young and spoiled. Fights Mario to impress his father.
:ultkingdedede:: Is selfish, but rarely actively antagonizes anyone. He’s mostly Kirby’s rival these days rather than a true villain.
:ultbowser:: Is selfish and extremely antagonistic, but is also beloved by his subjects and son and is apparently a very good king. His rivalry with Mario sometimes drives him to do ridiculously dangerous and catastrophic things with seemingly little reason. Acts out primarily because he’s in love with Peach and can’t express it.
:ultwario:: Incredibly selfish and antagonistic, but is willing to work for the greater good if it means payment.
:ultkrool:: Antagonistic and selfish, mostly feared by his subjects. Unlike Bowser or DeDeDe, he is king by his own decree and likely isn’t particularly liked by his minions.
:ultwolf:: Like Wario but would probably gun someone down in cold blood if paid to do so. Less selfish but more antagonistic.
:ultdarksamus:: Incredibly dangerous but debatably evil. Dark Samus works first and foremost to spread Phazon but doesn’t seem especially antagonistic toward anyone except Samus, since she’s the only one who can stand up to it. Would you call a disease “evil”? Dark Samus is a huge *******, but could probably technically be classified as “neutral”.
:ultganondorf:: Motivation changes from game to game but is not adverse to killing or even genociding. Implied that in addition to being the reincarnation of the Demon King, he resents Hyrule for its bounty while his own homeland wallowed in hardship. Praised by his people during his life, but despised by them long after his death.
:ultridley:: Openly enjoys slaughter and causing suffering for its own sake. Little context for how other Space Pirates view him or how he views them, although the manga implies he is a passionate commander that eagerly encourages his troops to slaughter their enemies without prejudice. Tricked a little girl into thinking he would be her friend so she’d get close enough to impale her.
I'd move Bowser above Wario, Wolf below him, and knock up King K. Rool to below Ganondorf.

-With Bowser, I feel that while you can argue he's less selfish then Wario due to his relationship with Bowser Jr. and his minions (at least at times, there are examples where he treats them like crap such as Kamek in Yoshi's Island), his actions have much worse consequences then him. He's also more notably antagonistic as his goals can span from petty acts to galactic conquests whereas Wario is more like a rival due to his greed.

-Wolf is less worse then Bowser in that he does have his own villainous streak through his service to Andross and does employ less savory comrades, but he also has a core team (Leon and Panther) that are loyal to him and he can be amicable. That doesn't mean he won't screw you over if your goals conflict, but he's willing to do good work if it serves him.

-King K. Rool has a cruel streak considering his treatment of his minions (which range from intimidation to torture or worse for failure), and he's much more violently opposed to DK's crew then most of the other antagonists as he's tried starving them, torturing them, and even outright trying to blow up their island. The only villain that could beat him for this spot is maybe Dark Samus, and as you said, she's more like a disease or force of nature in her antagonism.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Well I mean, while Bowser kidnaps Peach to marry her, she's never harmed.

K. Rool steals the banana horde to literally kill the Kongs through starvation.
K. Rool is ****ed up, man. He just wants the Kongs dead, and he literally does not care what he has to do to achieve that goal.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
It's too bad Mewtwo couldn't use his English voice, the Japanese one always sounded constipated imho.

Marth getting his English voice is a nice touch.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Squirtle Victory.gif
Ivysaur Victory.gif
Charizard Victory.gif

So I binge watched a bunch of Pokemon Trainer game play and realized that some of their victory animations are adorable. Looks like I've got a new signature now.

Charizard is such a good boy.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Since we’re on the topic of K. Rool, how useful are we thinking the suction part of his Blunderbuss is going to be in 1 on 1 scenarios?

Will shooting the opponent out of it cause damage? If not, I only see it being useful against other projectile users.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
In regards to K. Rool's villainy, it depends on whether the DK horde is their EXHAUSTIVE food supply or the Kongs could just replace it using bananas from their surroundings.

If it's the former, did K. Rool know that?

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
View attachment 158307View attachment 158306View attachment 158305
So I binge watched a bunch of Pokemon Trainer game play and realized that some of their victory animations are adorable. Looks like I've got a new signature now.

I feel like this hasn't been said enough, but this game has SICK victory screens. And I thought Smash 4 had peaked with it being vastly superior to Brawl, and now I can't even watch them side to side without thinking Smash 4's sucked a whole lot more. This game. Whew.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Since we’re on the topic of K. Rool, how useful are we thinking the suction part of his Blunderbuss is going to be in 1 on 1 scenarios?

Will shooting the opponent out of it cause damage? If not, I only see it being useful against other projectile users.
I don't think it'll be all that useful in 1v1s. First you gotta fire the projectile, then you gotta count on it missing so that your opponent isn't knocked away from you, then you gotta hope that your opponent is a schmuck who will run up to you while you got the Blunderbuss out even though any player worth their salt would easily know that they could be sucked into it if they approach.

All the while, you can't move an inch until you put the damn thing away.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
While were on the topic of villains, are there any other likely candidates for villains in the game? I thought the last two likely ones were K. Rool and Dark Samus, and now that we have them both I can't think of any other villain I would consider likely at this point.

The two I see thrown around the most are Black Shadow and either Porky or Giygas so we can have villains for all of the original 12 characters. Black Knight is another one I've seen tossed around. I also think Waluigi has a chance for DLC and he counts as a villain if Wario does.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I believe this meme goes for all of us in the fandom.

I'm rooting for you, Shantae, and I always will be.
Luckily I think the only one of my wanted characters I would have to keep quiet about is Paper Mario because he'd be another Mario. I'd hope people wouldn't jump on Phoenix Wright at least.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
While were on the topic of villains, are there any other likely candidates for villains in the game? I thought the last two likely ones were K. Rool and Dark Samus, and now that we have them both I can't think of any other villain I would consider likely at this point.

The two I see thrown around the most are Black Shadow and either Porky or Giygas so we can have villains for all of the original 12 characters. Black Knight is another one I've seen tossed around. I also think Waluigi has a chance for DLC and he counts as a villain if Wario does.
I will make a safe bet and say Sakurai will include a villain of his own game (kid icarus). Maybe Medusa or Hades… It's so predictable at this point imo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think K. Rool's hatred for the Kongs goes so far? He'd probably never pull what some of the other cartoon villains have.

And by that I mean if there was a mutual threat to the both of them? I very much doubt he'd even consider teaming up with them to take them out.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

Well since it's a grab, if someone shields or spotdodges the cannonball near you, you'll then be able to just suck them up, thus making the move a lot harder to punish. If the grab box is big enough, it could also make the move difficult to punish if someone jumps over the cannonball instead. This will be very useful, and it will get you advantageous stage positioning along the probably decent damage it will do. Plus the projectile + grab combo means the move is threatening at far ranges and closeup. If the sucking doesn't take too long to start, it could also be useful in disadvantage in helping K. Rool land, similar to how Dedede's Inhale and Wario's Chomp can be utilized to land against people trying to shield an anticipated landing aerial.

EDIT: Oh yeah another thing, since you can now reverse specials while doing them, if someone rolls through you could also turn around and suck them up, covering up yet another avenue of punishment.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I still think my boi is not really represented through Bowser. I'm still holding out hope for a villain rep for him...

Noipoi

Howdy!

I'm with you Tiger brother!
Come December everyone will smell what the 'Roar is cooking!
Shantae and Bandanna Dee are pretty rad too!

I love Pokemon Trainer so much, what a perfect way to represent the Pokemon series!
And now that stamina's been removed nothings stopping them from being at least high mid tier!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Honestly, I love how Ivysaur gets excited from the attention and tries to lick the Trainer's face.

He's like a big puppy. And the Trainer reacts like she's nudging a big dog to get off her.

One really cool touch is that one of Charizard's taunts is now him making himself appear bigger than he is to intimidate his opponent. Makes him seem a bit more animalistic than the other two.

Really, the Trainer's Pokemon are done so well in this game. They always felt like a team but they all have clear personalities now.

Squirtle is the one who tries to be cool but isn't quite there yet.

Ivysaur is a cuddle monster.

Charizard tries to act tough and territorial but is still gentle around its family.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord

I think at this point everyone's lists get flak haha.
Mine:
Isaac - anime swordsman
Saki - obscure anime (gun)swordsman
Mio - who? (She's the protagonist of a Nintendo owned IP, but that means nothing to most people haha)
Lip - Who? Also you haven't even played her game!
Mallo(Pushmo) - Nobody cares about Pushmo, it's just a small eShop title!
Labo - that's not even a character. Plus it's too recent.

Master Hand - how would that even work?
Picross Mario - isn't that just Mario in a different costume?
a Mario kart - um...what?

the last two are also.genuine wants, but I would never dare ask cuz they are so ridiculous

Last edited:

ratmon19

Smash Cadet
Hey you guys could all the hints toward isaac and skull kid also be hints for the next direct? Pokemon sun and moon where release 11/18/16 so what if the next direct is on 11/18/18 I mean it would match with the 8 thing and I hear sun and moon everywhere maybe?

Remmy-ro

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, it seems only on Reddit do I find posts about if the Belmonts can beat Bayonetta. Seriously, I've seen this topic there mentioned many times, and I don't know why.
The only things I see on Reddit are people showing off their poor artwork in anticipation for the game. Yawn

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I still think my boi is not really represented through Bowser. I'm still holding out hope for a villain rep for him...
Ok, this is an idea I've had for a Yoshi villain for some time. I know it's stupid but I want it to happen, ok?

Edit: Dang it Smashboards!

Edit 2:
1534489857460.jpeg

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think at this point everyone's lists get flak haha.
Mine:
Isaac - anime swordsman
Saki - obscure anime (gun)swordsman
Mio - who? (She's the protagonist of a Nintendo owned IP, but that means nothing to most people haha)
Lip - Who? Also you haven't even played her game!
Mallo(Pushmo) - Nobody cares about Pushmo, it's just a small eShop title!
Labo - that's even a character. Plus it's too recent.

Master Hand - how would that even work?
Picross Mario - isn't that just Mario in a different costume?
a Mario kart - um...what?

the last two are also.genuine wants, but I would never dare ask cuz they are so ridiculous
I dunno, my list is pretty widely accepted.

Incineroar-The least loved Alola starter.
Isabelle- Everyone's favorite pup.
Geno-THE fan request by default since Ridley and K Rool are in.
Isaac-Anime swordsman sure, but a requested one.
Bandanna Dee-Everyone loves him too.
Shadow-A DeviantArt users dream.

Basically everyone on this list is someone people want.
The only one here people have a problem with is Incineroar but I don't care I love him.
Shadow also isn't that liked here but I don't really love him, I just want an excuse to shout "OW THE EDGE" before every match :p.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well I mean, while Bowser kidnaps Peach to marry her, she's never harmed.

K. Rool steals the banana horde to literally kill the Kongs through starvation.
Which is ironic considering they have other food sources when you "take it to the fridge". :p
DK just has his own private stash of the nanners that he treasures. :p

Pakky

Smash Hero
Calling it again Pikachu Libre will fight Incenroar in the Pokemon Battle Royale arena when its announced and has its trailer.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

At least your characters are popular enough to get flak.

Seriously hurts when your most pushed character isn't even popular enough to be hated, even WITH their FIFTH game being exclusive to the Switch.

SMT1 Hero with Jack Frost.jpg

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
However unlikely it may be, what would be your thoughts if Meta Ridley is an Echo Fighter who has been hiding in plain sight since the game's initial reveal?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I feel Medusa has a chance since she's very close to Palutena's stature and could borrow her unused customs to be more unique if need be. I also agree with Black Shadow and Black Knight as options, especially the latter since he has a strong amount of popularity among FE fans.

Last edited:

Essora

Smash Cadet
So, not to change the topic too much, but is anybody else itching to find out what exactly Sakurai meant when he said character unlocking would be "streamlined"? I hope there are ways to specifically target characters you want to unlock

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So, not to change the topic too much, but is anybody else itching to find out what exactly Sakurai meant when he said character unlocking would be "streamlined"? I hope there are ways to specifically target characters you want to unlock
Probably just meant that unlocking characters is more tied to more general actions so you'd be unlocking character after character regardless of what gamemode you're a fan of.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
However unlikely it may be, what would be your thoughts if Meta Ridley is an Echo Fighter who has been hiding in plain sight since the game's initial reveal?
Confused. They're the same character, so what's the point? It's not like any of Ridley's animations would be out of character for Meta Ridley. It'd be kind of like making RD Ike and echo fighter of PoR Ike just because he's more buff.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
As someone with an unhealthy love for Ridley, it would be mostly pointless. Meta CAN do things that regular Ridley cannot, but they would have to be completely different. Ultimately there’s not much to be gained outside of roster padding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom