• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Other newcomers have used new designs, some using new elements and/or mixed elements from different games. Ridley in particular stands out for this.

The reasons have varied, but it's not exactly improbable for them to use a considerably different and new design for another newcomer like this.
Ridley's design changes slightly from game to game. Sakurai likes adding details from multiple different designs as seen with Snake, but those are still clearly Ridley and the spy with the Snake codename. The Skull Kid has NEVER been associated with snakes before so unless Sakurai decided to add a drastic change to Skull Kid because the mask rattling reminds him of a snake and decides to go for that in a moveset, it makes no sense

Shroob

Sup?
It's kinda far-fetched, but them representing tentacles ala Majora's Wrath is a small possibility.

It's absolutely an oddity that makes little sense, but it's not enough to count the leak out as fake all on it's own.
It's possible.

But the bigger issue is the font discrepancy. Isabelle's font is clearly different than the others.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
How would you rate the playable villains from least evil to most evil? I don’t know too much about Wolf or the DK games backgrounds, so forgive me if those characters are out of place.

:ultmewtwo:: Guy just wants to be left alone. Leave him alone! Dangerous but not evil.
:ultdarkpit:: Is a villain for like three seconds. He’s just Pit but he speaks his mind.
:ultmetaknight:: Is just Kirby but slightly edgy.
:ultbowserjr:: Is a brat, but is also probably very young and spoiled. Fights Mario to impress his father.
:ultkingdedede:: Is selfish, but rarely actively antagonizes anyone. He’s mostly Kirby’s rival these days rather than a true villain.
:ultbowser:: Is selfish and extremely antagonistic, but is also beloved by his subjects and son and is apparently a very good king. His rivalry with Mario sometimes drives him to do ridiculously dangerous and catastrophic things with seemingly little reason. Acts out primarily because he’s in love with Peach and can’t express it.
:ultwario:: Incredibly selfish and antagonistic, but is willing to work for the greater good if it means payment.
:ultkrool:: Antagonistic and selfish, mostly feared by his subjects. Unlike Bowser or DeDeDe, he is king by his own decree and likely isn’t particularly liked by his minions.
:ultwolf:: Like Wario but would probably gun someone down in cold blood if paid to do so. Less selfish but more antagonistic.
:ultdarksamus:: Incredibly dangerous but debatably evil. Dark Samus works first and foremost to spread Phazon but doesn’t seem especially antagonistic toward anyone except Samus, since she’s the only one who can stand up to it. Would you call a disease “evil”? Dark Samus is a huge asshole, but could probably technically be classified as “neutral”.
:ultganondorf:: Motivation changes from game to game but is not adverse to killing or even genociding. Implied that in addition to being the reincarnation of the Demon King, he resents Hyrule for its bounty while his own homeland wallowed in hardship. Praised by his people during his life, but despised by them long after his death.
:ultridley:: Openly enjoys slaughter and causing suffering for its own sake. Little context for how other Space Pirates view him or how he views them, although the manga implies he is a passionate commander that eagerly encourages his troops to slaughter their enemies without prejudice. Tricked a little girl into thinking he would be her friend so she’d get close enough to impale her.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't like to encourage this but in regards to what that snake-like thing is...

It could be something like the whip arms from Majora's Wrath...
But it's got stripes like a milk snake, in fact it looks just like a milk snake.
Does Majora have a pet?
Is Skull Kid a Slytherin?
Is he a reptile enthusiast?
Why.
Why does he have a snake?

Iridium

Smash Hero
I don't like to encourage this but in regards to what that snake-like thing is...

It could be something like the whip arms from Majora's Wrath...

Yeah, I can see it, now that I think about it. That shade of purple really throws me off, still though.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Skull Kid has a snake now so they can justify him being a Lucas echo.

Obviously.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If anything I think the tendrils on Skull Kid are further evidence that this is legit, if this were a fake leak, they'd go to efforts to make sure the character is clearly themselves. This kind of modification is just strange enough to make me believe there's something to it. I've been wondering how Skull Kid's moveset would work anyway and him using various Majora tendrils does expand the possibilities...
Although, I did just say that the"snake" thing isn't enough to count the leak out as a fake, thinking about it again........wasn't there a leak for Smash 4 that had a really bad and inaccurate Ridley render on it's roster?

Whoever was behind that leak certainly didn't care enough to make it look much like the actual character in any capacity.

It's possible.

But the bigger issue is the font discrepancy. Isabelle's font is clearly different than the others.
It's different?

Huh, it is. I didn't take notice of that until you pointed it out just now. Good catch.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Looking for that exact Isabelle render is pointless, given that she's making the exact expression her AT makes and thus it could very easily just be a new render.

I will say this about the Isabelle font discrepancy, though. Why would Isabelle's font be different when all the names would have to be created for this? Most these characters aren't in the demo, after all. I think it's much more likely to be image artifacting and the skewed perspective that makes her name look bigger.

Shroob

Sup?
Although, I did just say that the"snake" thing isn't enough to count the leak out as a fake, thinking about it again........wasn't there a leak for Smash 4 that had a really bad and inaccurate Ridley render on it's roster?

Whoever was behind that leak certainly didn't care enough to make it look much like the actual character in any capacity.

It's different?

Huh, it is. I didn't take notice of that until you pointed it out just now. Good catch.
Oh god.

We don't talk about Scare-ly... That thing was horrifying.

Noipoi

Howdy!
How would you rate the playable villains from least evil to most evil? I don’t know too much about Wolf or the DK games backgrounds, so forgive me if those characters are out of place.

:ultmewtwo:: Guy just wants to be left alone. Leave him alone! Dangerous but not evil.
:ultdarkpit:: Is a villain for like three seconds. He’s just Pit but he speaks his mind.
:ultbowserjr:: Is a brat, but is also probably very young and spoiled. Fights Mario to impress his father.
:ultkingdedede:: Is selfish, but rarely actively antagonizes anyone. He’s mostly Kirby’s rival these days rather than a true villain.
:ultbowser:: Is selfish and extremely antagonistic, but is also beloved by his subjects and son and is apparently a very good king. His rivalry with Mario sometimes drives him to do ridiculously dangerous and catastrophic things with seemingly little reason. Acts out primarily because he’s in love with Peach and can’t express it.
:ultwario:: Incredibly selfish and antagonistic, but is willing to work for the greater good if it means payment.
:ultkrool:: Antagonistic and selfish, mostly feared by his subjects. Unlike Bowser or DeDeDe, he is king by his own decree and likely isn’t particularly liked by his minions.
:ultwolf:: Like Wario but would probably gun someone down in cold blood if paid to do so. Less selfish but more antagonistic.
:ultdarksamus:: Incredibly dangerous but debatably evil. Dark Samus works first and foremost to spread Phazon but doesn’t seem especially antagonistic toward anyone except Samus, since she’s the only one who can stand up to it. Would you call a disease “evil”? Dark Samus is a huge *******, but could probably technically be classified as “neutral”.
:ultganondorf:: Motivation changes from game to game but is not adverse to killing or even genociding. Implied that in addition to being the reincarnation of the Demon King, he resents Hyrule for its bounty while his own homeland wallowed in hardship. Praised by his people during his life, but despised by them long after his death.
:ultridley:: Openly enjoys slaughter and causing suffering for its own sake. Little context for how other Space Pirates view him or how he views them, although the manga implies he is a passionate commander that eagerly encourages his troops to slaughter their enemies without prejudice. Tricked a little girl into thinking he would be her friend so she’d get close enough to impale her.
I'd switch Wario and Bowser because Wario's saved the day several times (even though it was just for money), but besides that my list is the same as yours.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I refuse to believe the snake is Majora's Wrath's arms. while sure, they can be incorporated into his moveset, why put that on Skull Kid's render? it isn't something the character has been shown doing and it wouldn't make sense to put such a major feature on the render as everyone's so dynamic, meaning Skull Kid would likelier be doing a dance or something

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
View attachment 158301
View attachment 158302

lmao I swear, do people make these in a hurry? or they make it obvious so people discover it? That's a REALLY big mistake
Well then.

Might as well reply to this so more people catch wind of it and it doesn't go too overlooked.

I do wonder where they got the assets for the rest of the render, though. The hands appear to match perfectly. The mask might be from an HW render. That's all I can think of it from what I've seen up to this point.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
To briefly bring up Marth again, a friend of mine just DM'd me an interesting fact on social media:

"Marth's sword is called the 'Falchion', but in the real world a falchion has only one edge and is much wider, looking more like a machete. Marth's sword, as well as those of his clones Lucina and Chrom, seems to be based more on the 'Jian', which was a double-edged straight sword used in China."

Interesting...

Anyway on echoes, I think the developers can be very liberal with them because there's a bit less pressure to appeal to relevance and/or popularity considering they're bonus characters that are much easier to implement than original characters. So I'm not going to discount echo ideas.

On the Gardevoir leak, I'm not going to argue with you @TheLastJinjo (I wouldn't mind Gardevoir at all), but I have the idea that Gardevoir could work as an echo of Zelda. Din's Fire could be Energy Ball or Magical Leaf, up B could be Teleport, down B could be one of those black holes that the Pokedex mentions that works defensively instead of offensively (and of course, wouldn't be broken like the actual Black Hole item), and neutral B could be Reflect or Light Screen. Her normals could also be similar to Zelda's, and her Final Smash could be Mega Gardevoir using Moonblast or something. Zelda is the glass shoe to Gardevoir's Cinderalla's foot. It just works. Not saying that this is more or less likely, but that it's a good idea for a cross-series echo. The only thing I'd have reservations about, and this probably gives more weight to Gardevoir being a unique character, is the lightning kicks. Gardevoir isn't really a kicking Pokemon lol.
This is a falchion

1DC4C3A1-1EF6-486D-9029-90F58749D295.png

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Looking for that exact Isabelle render is pointless, given that she's making the exact expression her AT makes and thus it could very easily just be a new render.

I will say this about the Isabelle font discrepancy, though. Why would Isabelle's font be different when all the names would have to be created for this? Most these characters aren't in the demo, after all. I think it's much more likely to be image artifacting and the skewed perspective that makes her name look bigger.
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the names are avaible in the in-game font for the characters on the official website. That would answer that in a way. And it isn't all either, Villager and Snake were in the demo, there could be some difference in theirs from the rest

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm not sorry for giving you all nightmares.
Okay, that I remember. He definitely looks off, like some species of bird I can't remember now. It's like he has the beak of a bird (just no, unless we're talking Little Birdie).

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I refuse to believe the snake is Majora's Wrath's arms. while sure, they can be incorporated into his moveset, why put that on Skull Kid's render? it isn't something the character has been shown doing and it wouldn't make sense to put such a major feature on the render as everyone's so dynamic, meaning Skull Kid would likelier be doing a dance or something
If I had a reason to believe it was fake, it’s that both photos only show the exact same framing of Skull Kid. Their icon shows less of their body than their selected render on the bottom of the screen. But rather than zoom out and show more of said render, they just zoomed in to EXACTLY the same framing? Naw. Fake.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I’m finding it hard to believe that “leak” (I hate how misused that word is now) is fooling anyone. The central focus of Skull Kid, from an artistic standpoint, is Majora’s Mask. Aside from Majora’s Mask, he uses mainly earthtones which I feel communicates well that Majora’s Mask doesn’t belong there.

Majora’s Mask, being the focal point, would be the part of the character that has the most detail and care put into it. In that render, it looks horrid. Like it was an action figure that was put into the microwave. Every other render we have looks incredible, so I’m supposed to believe Nintendo hired up FurryWolf69 from deviantart to make this one?

Then there’s the purple coral snake that exists for no reason.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
that skull kid render is too ugly to be real
Yeah I'm one of the most crazy people about Skull kid and I threw away that fake ass leak immediately as soon as i saw it the first time. A Snake? I rather believe in green mario. Plus it looks ugly as hell. As a graphic designer, this looks like any other terrible attempt on a fake leak that you could probably find on deviantart. Let's move on and wait for something better than that, lol.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

:ultdarksamus:: Incredibly dangerous but debatably evil. Dark Samus works first and foremost to spread Phazon but doesn’t seem especially antagonistic toward anyone except Samus, since she’s the only one who can stand up to it. Would you call a disease “evil”? Dark Samus is a huge *******, but could probably technically be classified as “neutral”.
I'd bump Wolf way down and bump K.Rool way up.

Wolf is ruthless but he has his own set of morals and honor. He kicked Pigma out for being too scummy and is willing to put differences aside and give would be enemies sound advice on occasion.

K. Rool shows no signs of empathy or sympathy. It says a lot that Ridley and Bowser have loyal minions but K. Rool has actual defectors that risk death just to run away. K. Rool doesn't have a good bone in his body.

I'd be curious as to where you'd put Porky, Andross, Hades, Black Shadow, Metal Face and Octavio.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dedede is the "Self appointed King of Dreamland" meaning he is king by his own decree.

No one else wants to be king though so they don't fight him on it

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Dedede is the "Self appointed King of Dreamland" meaning he is king by his own decree.

No one else wants to be king though so they don't fight him on it
Meta Knight tried to fight for the throne once, but quickly decided "eh, **** it."

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'd bump Wolf way down and bump K.Rool way up.

Wolf is ruthless but he has his own set of morals and honor. He kicked Pigma out for being too scummy and is willing to put differences aside and give would be enemies sound advice on occasion.

K. Rool shows no signs of empathy or sympathy. It says a lot that Ridley and Bowser have loyal minions but K. Rool has actual defectors that risk death just to run away. K. Rool doesn't have a good bone in his body.

I'd be curious as to where you'd put Porky, Andross, Hades, Black Shadow, Metal Face and Octavio.
I mean, if a Space Pirate questions things like "Hey why are we being evil?" they get murdered too

wildvine47

Smash Ace
So uh,

Simon Belmont's fair has armor. It's an armored, angle-able, long-reaching forward air. That's one hell of a move.

Shroob

Sup?
And now I just learned that the Japanese voice actor of Professor Oak(You may also know him as Old Joseph Joestar) has passed away due to cancer.

God tonight sucks.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Wow, I know very little about DK, but is K. Rool really that much of an ***hole? I always thought he was along the lines of Bowser and Dedede in terms of how evil he is.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Wow, I know very little about DK, but is K. Rool really that much of an ***hole? I always though he was along the lines of Bowser and Dedede in terms of how evil he is.
Nah. He never had a redemption arc and is just a **** for the sake of it. I wouldn't call him ruthless, but he's just a big jerk that sometimes plans and tries do destroy an entire island.

D

Deleted member

if you wthink that pokemon heights are weird, teh weights are even worse. I eman, groudon is like the pokemon Godzilla... yet he weights like... half a cow.
As a Godzilla fan, Groudon is not even close.
The smallest Godzilla's been is 50m.
Groudon's not even a 10th of that in the games.

EDIT: EXCEPT when Primal.
Then Groudon's exactly a 10th of that.

As for weight, also way off. Groudon's between the weight of the average adult female cattle and the average adult male cattle closer to the male's side.
Definitely not "half a cow". More like "roughly the weight of a cow".

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wow, I know very little about DK, but is K. Rool really that much of an ***hole? I always though he was along the lines of Bowser and Dedede in terms of how evil he is.
Well I mean, while Bowser kidnaps Peach to marry her, she's never harmed.

K. Rool steals the banana horde to literally kill the Kongs through starvation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom